Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The darker it is, the more times he's visited it as President. France and Mexico are leaders in the clubhouse at 6 visits.

France and Mexico aren't full of white folk. To get true blue blood, one needs to visit Habsburg dominion, which Obama has failed to do.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

JT Jag posted:

The darker it is, the more times he's visited it as President. France and Mexico are leaders in the clubhouse at 6 visits.

Yeah, he certainly came to Canada for the G20, and we're like 60% European-Canadian.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The American Nigel Farage.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nonsense posted:

The American Nigel Farage.

How?

I don't love Jim Webb but he'd be a decent candidate and I don't see how he's anything like Farage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

France and Mexico aren't full of white folk. To get true blue blood, one needs to visit Habsburg dominion, which Obama has failed to do.
He has visited Britain 4 times and Germany 3 times. Italy, Canada, and Australia twice.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I was mulling over what it would mean to have a First Man as opposed to a First Lady under a Hillary presidency, and it occurred to me that I don't think there's anything legally preventing Chelsea from assuming the role. Thoughts?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How?

I don't love Jim Webb but he'd be a decent candidate and I don't see how he's anything like Farage.

Jim Webb will be as terrible of a candidate as he was as a senator (really terrible)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb#Controversy_over_PAC_finances

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

saintonan posted:

We thought Hillary was a lock in 2007 too.

Unless Martin O'Malley is possessed of some campaigning panache I'm not aware of, there is no Obama to stop Hillary this time.

She's getting his money, his email list, like all his high-level infrastructure, and (I hope) she has learned from 2008.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Recycle Bin posted:

I was mulling over what it would mean to have a First Man as opposed to a First Lady under a Hillary presidency, and it occurred to me that I don't think there's anything legally preventing Chelsea from assuming the role. Thoughts?

She already has experience as the first lady, since Hillary had to abdicate the position while campaigning for Senate

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

"Let me be clear: We jammin'. I want to jam it with you."

What dark spirit did you make a pact with to gain the wit that you have? I'm asking for a friend.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Recycle Bin posted:

Bill Clinton has already stated he want's to be referred to as "First Laddy".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Hillary won't run a particularly good campaign, misogyny will turn out to be more powerful than racism, and she'll lose to Rand Paul, attacking her from the left on foreign policy and criminal justice to siphon off enough youth vote.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I think Hillary won't run a particularly good campaign, misogyny will turn out to be more powerful than racism, and she'll lose to Rand Paul, attacking her from the left on foreign policy and criminal justice to siphon off enough youth vote.
Yes Rand Paul, a man who has trouble with his own base, and is distrusted by the rest of the GOP will get the nomination.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Hahahaha. Look out DIck Morris this guy's coming for your job.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I really, really do not want to vote for Hillary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Good news, you don't have to.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

greatn posted:

rand paul will never win an office outside of a wave year in an impoverished poo poo state that can be overwhelmed by far-flung libertarian dark money

the man does not know how to interact with other human beings

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

zoux posted:

Hahahaha. Look out DIck Morris this guy's coming for your job.

:vince:

goon on goon violence

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

On one hand, I don't like Hillary.

On the other hand, one or two of the conservative Supreme Court judges will probably die in the next 9 years.

That's horribly reductionist but hey.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Butts posted:

O'Malley / Sanders in primary. Hillary in general if you live in a swing state; otherwise write in Lizard People and pull D for all the down ticket races.

You're welcome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You could always vote GREEN PARTY ahahahaha.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Is this like when libertarians say they don't vote straight ticket republican?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

On one hand, I don't like Hillary.

On the other hand, one or two of the conservative Supreme Court judges will probably die in the next 9 years.

That's horribly reductionist but hey.

This is basically 80% of the reason I vote for a democrat in the whitehouse. The other 20% is gently caress republicans.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ginsberg will be gone before any of the conservative justices, most likely. All the more reason.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

greatn posted:

Hey, dude, I think Bill Kristol stole your account...

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

zoux posted:

You could always vote GREEN PARTY ahahahaha.

vote for frank zeidler's ghost

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Alright, one last try since we haven't finished with this yet.

1.) Do you think that pregnant women should have access to quality medical care?
2.) If so, do you recognize that under the current US healthcare system that means having insurance or significant independent wealth?

If you're not on board with those points, then we should be having an entirely different discussion. If you are, the question is essentially, should you harm someone and go against your belief in the interest of proving a point or following the rules?

If you're arguing that she shouldn't get support because the vast majority of people in similar positions who don't happen to be married to cops wouldn't get care, then you're saying that it's more important to prove a point than to ensure proper care -speculation that "it'll work out" is irresponsible because you cannot know that it will. If this is your argument, do you honestly think that denying her healthcare will change people's opinions? Will people who hear this story and who are ardent opponents to UHC suddenly decide that it's a good an just thing? Do you believe that you will you achieve any outcome other than loving over an innocent woman? If you think it could change people's opinions, why would it be more effective than simply highlighting that her experience is outside of the norm and don't all those people currently being excluded also deserve care?

If you're arguing that this is about following rules and making sure that everyone is treated the same no matter what, is it ethical to always follow the rules even when you believe the rules are wrong? I agree that this is made murky by the fact that some groups of people can get exceptions and others can't, but to be fair, this isn't a policy that we have in place. There's no law that says partners of police officers who are shitbag murderers get to keep their healthcare until they deliver their babies. This is a singular case that is being addressed on an individual basis.

In essence, if we agree that in the abstract, allowing a pregnant woman to keep her healthcare until she delivers is a good thing to do. Are you doing more good by depriving her of it?

It is certainly reasonable to use this case as a way to discuss the need for UHC - "isn't it great that she will have care? What about all the people who aren't that lucky?," but I'm highly skeptical that you can successfully achieve change by trying to gently caress over everyone until we all have it as bad as the lowest of us. I think you're better off recognizing inequity and trying to lift up from the bottom.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Good news, you don't have to.

Yes but I feel that if I don't someone worse will be in power.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

what state you live in, bud?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Karnegal posted:

1.) Do you think that pregnant women should have access to quality medical care?
2.) If so, do you recognize that under the current US healthcare system that means having insurance or significant independent wealth?

If you're not on board with those points, then we should be having an entirely different discussion. If you are, the question is essentially, should you harm someone and go against your belief in the interest of proving a point or following the rules?

If you're arguing that she shouldn't get support because the vast majority of people in similar positions who don't happen to be married to cops wouldn't get care, then you're saying that it's more important to prove a point than to ensure proper care -speculation that "it'll work out" is irresponsible because you cannot know that it will. If this is your argument, do you honestly think that denying her healthcare will change people's opinions? Will people who hear this story and who are ardent opponents to UHC suddenly decide that it's a good an just thing? Do you believe that you will you achieve any outcome other than loving over an innocent woman? If you think it could change people's opinions, why would it be more effective than simply highlighting that her experience is outside of the norm and don't all those people currently being excluded also deserve care?

If you're arguing that this is about following rules and making sure that everyone is treated the same no matter what, is it ethical to always follow the rules even when you believe the rules are wrong? I agree that this is made murky by the fact that some groups of people can get exceptions and others can't, but to be fair, this isn't a policy that we have in place. There's no law that says partners of police officers who are shitbag murderers get to keep their healthcare until they deliver their babies. This is a singular case that is being addressed on an individual basis.

In essence, if we agree that in the abstract, allowing a pregnant woman to keep her healthcare until she delivers is a good thing to do. Are you doing more good by depriving her of it?

It is certainly reasonable to use this case as a way to discuss the need for UHC - "isn't it great that she will have care? What about all the people who aren't that lucky?," but I'm highly skeptical that you can successfully achieve change by trying to gently caress over everyone until we all have it as bad as the lowest of us. I think you're better off recognizing inequity and trying to lift up from the bottom.

No one cares.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
On what issues is Martin O'Malley significantly more progressive than Obama or Clinton? My brief research hasn't left me overly impressed.

EDIT: gently caress this guy, I'd sooner vote Republican. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f58f_story.html

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I assure you you are not the lynchpin on which the presidential election hinges. Vote in the confidence that you can vote for whoever you like and there will be no consequences whatsoever :)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Phone posted:

No one cares.

Cool response, man! I mean, it's demonstrably false given that people are talking about it, but sure maybe we can move back to circle-jerk territory if it'll make you feel better.

Hey everyone, those GOP candidates sure are dumb!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Ginsberg will be gone before any of the conservative justices, most likely. All the more reason.

RBG will be the first human life ever recorded as sustained through sheer force of will

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKurfXAVWM

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Karnegal posted:

As one of the posters responsible for starting that whole thing, I am uniquely qualified to say that yes, yes we are finished with that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

On what issues is Martin O'Malley significantly more progressive than Obama or Clinton? My brief research hasn't left me overly impressed.

EDIT: gently caress this guy, I'd sooner vote Republican. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f58f_story.html

Well, he's been talking up tougher Wall Street regulation, but then again so did Obama before he won the Presidency, so who knows.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

He came up the ranks in Baltimore, which can certainly have an effect on your view of how crime should be handled. In other respects he is both socially progressive and has championed tax increases to deal with deficit shortfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alter Ego posted:

Well, he's been talking up tougher Wall Street regulation, but then again so did Obama before he won the Presidency, so who knows.
From what I saw he just copy/pasted Warren's positions on Wall Street since she's not running.

• Locked thread