Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol at the chrome screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

lol at the chrome screenshot
? the only screenshot on that page is of firefox

i think

idk

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im not sure if i like that this disconnect thing uses a vpn for browsing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh theres an actual browser extension too

https://github.com/disconnectme/disconnect

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was not aware of the standalone client vpn fuckery

the extension is good and is what should be used

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

http://www.areweprivateyet.com/

according to (open source, for what it's worth) tests run by ghostery, ghostery blocks more poo poo. no idea how valid this is but i like being able to view and select what to block on a per-tracker basis, whereas disconnect last i checked just surfaced three switches for facebook, twitter and google.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

mobile data users go through heavy natting when on ipv4, and in the routing used there's plenty of room to add additional headers.

no i know that, i mean "track somehow" as in i'm not sure how they were able to do it. i'm guessing every page/app they wanted to track would need some js/framework from the ad company

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i was not aware of the standalone client vpn fuckery

the extension is good and is what should be used
weird since you linked to the first one fyi

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

no i know that, i mean "track somehow" as in i'm not sure how they were able to do it. i'm guessing every page/app they wanted to track would need some js/framework from the ad company

all plain http traffic got an extra tag thing added on requests. https traffic had none of the tracker stuff added because breaking ssl for it would be way more trouble than it was worth.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and the extra header ID is both static and unique per user.

Verizon will sell you more details about person associated with the identifier, but alone it is already an inescapable supercookie

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nintendo Kid posted:

all plain http traffic got an extra tag thing added on requests. https traffic had none of the tracker stuff added because breaking ssl for it would be way more trouble than it was worth.

Not necessarily. Verizon Android phones typically have their crapware baked into the OS image (I believe they specifically have gotten flak for including some shady stuff in the past). If they wanted to put a local TLS proxy on them a la Lenovo, they could do so. I imagine it would go over rather poorly, but it's possible.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

weird since you linked to the first one fyi

I just went to the addon and clicked the website link :effort:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

annapacketstormaya posted:

Not necessarily. Verizon Android phones typically have their crapware baked into the OS image (I believe they specifically have gotten flak for including some shady stuff in the past). If they wanted to put a local TLS proxy on them a la Lenovo, they could do so. I imagine it would go over rather poorly, but it's possible.

yes neccesarly, doing that is way more effort than just tagging everything over http

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

of course the Google thread is now about how to block ads and surveillance

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

google is an advertising company that spies on you

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

google is an advertising company that spies on you

:thejoke: -- "that's the issue"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

someone tell me how to block youtube ads in safari

that is literally the only problem i have and gently caress you i am not going to change browsers, that is way too much effort

give me a link and nothing more

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Snapchat A Titty posted:

that is literally the only problem i have and gently caress you i am not going to change browsers, that is way too much effort

glimmerblocker.org

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
psssh hahaha thats not a link. made you copy/paste

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=getfirefox-com&utm_medium=referral

dipshit

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

well since you won't switch browsers, commit suicide

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at everyone

i only clicked the reply button just now and ill prolly click dick all tomorrow

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
https://extensions.apple.com/?q=ublock

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

http://blog.kedrosky.com/googles-microsoft-moment-when

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

European Commission to announce antitrust charges against Google.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

reminder that this over the fact that google doesn't automatically link to random stupid 3rd tier european services as replacements for maps

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think sometime people think I'm exaggerating when I say that it is an absolutely nightmare to use Google products and that I really need to figure out some way of getting off them permanently. So I thought I'd write up a representative example from yesterday and today, just to give people some perspective on what I'm talking about:

Somebody e-mailed me and asked if they could contribute Spanish translations to Handmade Hero, so I of course said "sure" since I figure the more languages, the better. They wrote back asking if I would invite them to translate it using the Google Translator Toolkit.

So I clicked on the link they sent, but unfortunately, it said that I couldn't use the Google Translator Toolkit because it wasn't "enabled" on my domain. It has a "learn more" link, but the learn more link doesn't actually say anything about where I would go to "enable" it. I open up the admin console, and I go to "apps", and it gives me three options: "Google Apps", "Additional Google Services", and "Marketplace Apps".

Of course, Google is a search company, so I'm like "I don't know where this would be", so I... wait for it... TYPE IT INTO THE SEARCH BAR. It replies, "There are no results to display". Fantastic.

So I manually search through all three sections, and find nothing. Ooookay... I guess I'll file a support ticket. Which I do.

The next morning, I get a reply from support, and they tell me what I was doing wrong. The trick, it turns out, is that the "Additional Google Services" listing starts off being _automatically filtered_. There is a thing at the top that says "Filter: Top featured services" which I thought was a thing I could _enable_, since it's just some tiny text there with no real UI around it. But it turns out it's actually _enabled_ by default, and all the way over on the other side of the screen, completely disassociated from it, is a little "x". If you click that x, it disables the filter.

No, I'm not making this up. This is actually the UI. Now mind you, they _already had three categories_ that I had to choose from, so for some reason, they thought the best way to segment the services in this category was to add a single special-purpose filter that exists nowhere else, instead of just making _a fourth category_ for the services that were hidden by default. And never mind the fact that _the right place to have an enable button for a service is on the page where it says that the service is not enabled_. Like, why wouldn't you just put a button there that says "If you're the administrator and would like to enable this service, click here"? It's all completely insane.

Anyway, thanks to tech support, I find the baby "x" button and click it, and now I can go to Google Translate. I click on is to enable it, but it doesn't enable, it just takes me to a page that talks about it. Where is the enable button? I seriously cannot find it. I look for a while, and I just start clicking on random things. It turns out that the "enable" button, which is _the only reason you would be using this interface_, is actually buried in a menu which is accessible in the upper right corner of the _graphic_ for Google Translate, represented _only_ by three vertical dots. Like, that's it. And mind you, the three vertical dots have appeared once before in this UI - but at that time the only thing that happened when you clicked on them was that it gave you the option to go to the global settings. Not so this time! This time, it shows the options for enabling/disabling the service.

Totally amazing.

Anyway, I get that enabled, and now I can access Google Translator. I go to Google Translator, and I go to the page that lets me invite a translator, and I pick "Choose a YouTube Video". Finally, after all that, I'll be able to send the person the invite they asked for!

But nope. It turns out, thanks to the wonderful YouTube/Google+ nightmare that they inflict upon everyone, it was not to be. Because Handmade Hero is a "channel", it does not consider the videos that are in that "channel" to be part of _my_ username. They are part of the "Handmade Hero" virtual Google+ username, or whatever godforsaken thing the "engineers" on YouTube and Google+ fauxgrammed under the hood. So when I pick "Choose a video", I can't actually choose a video from Handmade Hero, I can only choose my own videos, which of course nobody cares about translating into Spanish. Or any other language for that matter.

Nothing I do helps. I tried making sure I had that channel "selected" using the arcane YouTube "view as" controls, but no such luck. And of course, YouTube is not covered under the Google Apps support terms, so I can't e-mail technical support either. So I guess I just give up?

This is what it's like to use Google products for me everyday. It's like this _every day_. Every time I want to do something with a Google product, it turns into hours of problems, and often never gets resolved at all. It's absolutely miserable and it's getting to the point where I feel like I have to switch from game development to app development just so I can have a sane experience with my computer.

And by the way, I'm a paying customer - none of these things are "free" for me. I paid for them. Molly Rocket is a Google Apps customer and pays a reasonable monthly fee for Google services.

- Casey

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apple had a "microsoft moment" back in the late 90s tbf and they're doing plenty well for themselves lately

if somehow page, brin, and schmidt got fired and replaced by a person or group of ppl with a bit more clue then google could also turn its decline

so, not going to happen basically

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

attention google I will fix your web ui for only twenty million united states dollars*

*that's my compensation, the actual redesign will cost a lot more

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

i don't mind the goog having a microsoft moment but i've got to say i'm more interested in their nortel moment

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SIGSEGV posted:

i don't mind the goog having a microsoft moment but i've got to say i'm more interested in their nortel moment

enron moment

and larry schmidt can be cliff baxter

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i'll always have a soft spot for proxomitron and its gloriously stupid looks

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

I think sometime people think I'm exaggerating when I say that it is an absolutely nightmare to use Google products and that I really need to figure out some way of getting off them permanently. So I thought I'd write up a representative example from yesterday and today, just to give people some perspective on what I'm talking about :

Somebody e-mailed me and asked if they could contribute Spanish translations to Handmade Hero, so I of course said "sure" since I figure the more languages, the better. They wrote back asking if I would invite them to translate it using the Google Translator Toolkit.

So I clicked on the link they sent, but unfortunately, it said that I couldn't use the Google Translator Toolkit because it wasn't "enabled" on my domain. It has a "learn more" link, but the learn more link doesn't actually say anything about where I would go to "enable" it. I open up the admin console, and I go to "apps", and it gives me three options: "Google Apps", "Additional Google Services", and "Marketplace Apps".

Of course, Google is a search company, so I'm like "I don't know where this would be", so I... wait for it... TYPE IT INTO THE SEARCH BAR. It replies, "There are no results to display". Fantastic.

So I manually search through all three sections, and find nothing. Ooookay... I guess I'll file a support ticket. Which I do.

The next morning, I get a reply from support, and they tell me what I was doing wrong. The trick, it turns out, is that the "Additional Google Services" listing starts off being _automatically filtered_. There is a thing at the top that says "Filter: Top featured services" which I thought was a thing I could _enable_, since it's just some tiny text there with no real UI around it. But it turns out it's actually _enabled_ by default, and all the way over on the other side of the screen, completely disassociated from it, is a little "x". If you click that x, it disables the filter.

No, I'm not making this up. This is actually the UI. Now mind you, they _already had three categories_ that I had to choose from, so for some reason, they thought the best way to segment the services in this category was to add a single special-purpose filter that exists nowhere else, instead of just making _a fourth category_ for the services that were hidden by default. And never mind the fact that _the right place to have an enable button for a service is on the page where it says that the service is not enabled_. Like, why wouldn't you just put a button there that says "If you're the administrator and would like to enable this service, click here"? It's all completely insane.

Anyway, thanks to tech support, I find the baby "x" button and click it, and now I can go to Google Translate. I click on is to enable it, but it doesn't enable, it just takes me to a page that talks about it. Where is the enable button? I seriously cannot find it. I look for a while, and I just start clicking on random things. It turns out that the "enable" button, which is _the only reason you would be using this interface_, is actually buried in a menu which is accessible in the upper right corner of the _graphic_ for Google Translate, represented _only_ by three vertical dots. Like, that's it. And mind you, the three vertical dots have appeared once before in this UI - but at that time the only thing that happened when you clicked on them was that it gave you the option to go to the global settings. Not so this time! This time, it shows the options for enabling/disabling the service.

Totally amazing.

Anyway, I get that enabled, and now I can access Google Translator. I go to Google Translator, and I go to the page that lets me invite a translator, and I pick "Choose a YouTube Video". Finally, after all that, I'll be able to send the person the invite they asked for!

But nope. It turns out, thanks to the wonderful YouTube/Google+ nightmare that they inflict upon everyone, it was not to be. Because Handmade Hero is a "channel", it does not consider the videos that are in that "channel" to be part of _my_ username. They are part of the "Handmade Hero" virtual Google+ username, or whatever godforsaken thing the "engineers" on YouTube and Google+ fauxgrammed under the hood. So when I pick "Choose a video", I can't actually choose a video from Handmade Hero, I can only choose my own videos, which of course nobody cares about translating into Spanish. Or any other language for that matter.

Nothing I do helps. I tried making sure I had that channel "selected" using the arcane YouTube "view as" controls, but no such luck. And of course, YouTube is not covered under the Google Apps support terms, so I can't e-mail technical support either. So I guess I just give up?

This is what it's like to use Google products for me everyday. It's like this _every day_. Every time I want to do something with a Google product, it turns into hours of problems, and often never gets resolved at all. It's absolutely miserable and it's getting to the point where I feel like I have to switch from game development to app development just so I can have a sane experience with my computer.

And by the way, I'm a paying customer - none of these things are "free" for me. I paid for them. Molly Rocket is a Google Apps customer and pays a reasonable monthly fee for Google services.

- Casey

I _like_ how

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google products get more difficult to use every year and look worse. eventually the oogle homepage will just be a single hamburger menu icon in the center of the page

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

google products get more difficult to use every year and look worse. eventually the oogle homepage will just be a single hamburger menu icon in the center of the page
the best part of using google products is when they randomly remove features or completely redo the ui. gently caress you and your muscie memory and your workflow

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they still do this poo poo lol

can barely tell if it's selected or not. god help you if your monitor isn't bright as gently caress

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

can barely tell if it's selected or not. god help you if your monitor isn't bright as gently caress

looks very different between the two on my old laptop with the brightness down. maybe you should use a real computer??

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

THC posted:

i like that thin blue stripe that signifies a thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you sign in to watch youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

i like that thin blue stripe that signifies a thing