Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I guess we're assuming all these ships are tagged either Rebel or Imp only?

They are in the light/dark plastic, so yeah, I'd assume so.

Come on Amazon, hurry up and ship my copy! Just becuase I got in on your £47 "offer" (he he he) doesn't mean you need to punish me like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Grey Hunter posted:

Come on Amazon, hurry up and ship my copy! Just becuase I got in on your $53 "offer" (he he he) doesn't mean you need to punish me like this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I am on the fence about picking it up because of that, and shoving it in my luggage since the box wasn't as huge as I thought it would be. is there enough room in the box to store a couple of the expansions as well? I was thinking of getting the Royal Guard Champ, IG-88, Han & Chewie.

Just curious if you could go into more detail on any complaints? I'm mainly getting it for the campaign, but I'd also like to hear more info on the skirmish game.

I'm mobile so I can't write too much. The only complaint I've had is that building the maps is time consuming. Otherwise our group of gamers from all backgrounds, including wargames, has been having a blast with skirmish. It's extremely nerve wracking because of the objectives. It also doesn't snowball at all; there are tons of come from behind wins.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

alg posted:

I'm mobile so I can't write too much. The only complaint I've had is that building the maps is time consuming. Otherwise our group of gamers from all backgrounds, including wargames, has been having a blast with skirmish. It's extremely nerve wracking because of the objectives. It also doesn't snowball at all; there are tons of come from behind wins.
ProTip: Assuming you get a Plano box or something for all the tokens (this speeds up setup/teardown greatly), you can also put all the tiny 2-square map pieces in there. I found this saves some time when building maps, because the tiny pieces are the ones I spent the most time looking for in the big box. Now they are all in one place (one slot for dead-ends, another for hallway connectors).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edit: Disregard this post. Found the base, fiancée had put another game's lid over it.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Some dude on the FFG forums has been working on a battlescribe file for Armada that seems to be alright.. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/139260-armada-battlescribe-files-v10/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man I just played Imperial Assault campaign mission "Imperial Hospitality" and it was just a huge loving turd that used hidden information in the worst way possible. Rebels lost in the most anti-climatic bullshit way, too. The first real stinker of the bunch and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In what way? The imperial player read everything in the Mission Briefing section to the Rebels right? I can't recall any mission where the hidden information did anything more than surprise the heros that some dudes pop out in front/behind them or Darth Vader jumps down their throats or somthing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My rebels are at the bad end of a string of losses and are a bit unhappy with the game now. They did their last side mission before the end of the game last night and on the final turn made four attempts to defuse a bomb, rolling green + blue for two attempts and blue on it's own for the last two and didn't see a surge in all the rolls, so they lost. It was really anti-climatic. As a GM more than a boardgamer I really want to just give them the win and penalise them in some other way but losing on a dice roll like that sucks a lot of fun out of it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
This has always been the dilemma for me in 1v many games (as im always the overlord) - it feels better to take a hit and have the players just barely win than to repeatedly bust them into the ground. Tricky to design around, probably would be best if players rotate the overlord role and there is maximum opportunity for mixed victory/losses through multiple victory conditions (eg. Each side has three objectives which are achievable independantly of other side so both sides can 'win' to a degree).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

In what way? The imperial player read everything in the Mission Briefing section to the Rebels right? I can't recall any mission where the hidden information did anything more than surprise the heros that some dudes pop out in front/behind them or Darth Vader jumps down their throats or somthing.

Well yeah but that's a huge problem when the Imperial player drops an entire Assault Armor'd Shock Trooper StormTrooper squad on one of the heroes.

Spoilers for Imperial Hospitality, so don't read this if you want to experience this mission for yourself:

We got the intro text and were told that there was a terminal with valuable data and a rebel captive. There's only 3 heroes, so we sent Jynn with 2 activation tokens up to the terminal, and sent our Jedi and Wookie to fight the Crimsom Guard and open the cell.

Jynn gets to the door end of turn 1, prepares to do a Tech test on her next activation, but at the end of the turn the Imperial player drops a full squad of the aforementioned armored up shocktroopers 1 square away at their deployment point. And an Imperial Officer, just because I guess? So this forces Jynn to go first next turn and of course she blows the tech test, even with rerolls. So she gets flipped to wounded by all the blaster shots, other stuff happens and the prisoner gets sprung on the same turn that the door gets opened up but of course there was a 4 turn time limit on the terminal that we didn't know about so it was all for nothing because it immediately despawns while Jynn tries to stay alive against 2 Trandoshan Hunters. Utter failure as the Imperial player piles on a pouncing Nexu and Probe Droid and the 2 Trandoshan hunters march down the hallway and blow away the prisoner in one turn (Wookie hosed up and didn't have any spare strain).

Our after-action report showed that the entire mission is designed for the Rebels to go hard at the Terminal and the go hard for the prisoner. Splitting the group was exactly the wrong thing to do, but of course it's been exactly the right thing to do in other missions.

As a Descent 1e player, where you always knew where the Overlord could spawn, I don't like the hidden deployment points and I don't like the mission scripting system. Maybe turn 5 will have an AT-ST show up? Maybe turn 3 will have a door explode? Or maybe there's a time limit on something that you won't know about? Or maybe nothing will happen at all and you'll spread yourself too thin trying to tackle too many things because the whole thing feels way too random? I know this sounds bitchy and whiny but like I said, that mission sucked. Hidden time limits + hidden deployments = no planning possible. And I really feel that the missions are balanced around the Rebel players knowing what's going to happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 8, 2015

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well yeah but that's a huge problem when the Imperial player drops an entire Assault Armor'd Shock Trooper StormTrooper squad on one of the heroes.

Spoilers for Imperial Hospitality, so don't read this if you want to experience this mission for yourself:

We got the intro text and were told that there was a terminal with valuable data and a rebel captive. There's only 3 heroes, so we sent Jynn with 2 activation tokens up to the terminal, and sent our Jedi and Wookie to fight the Crimsom Guard and open the cell.

Jynn gets to the door end of turn 1, prepares to do a Tech test on her next activation, but at the end of the turn the Imperial player drops a full squad of the aforementioned armored up shocktroopers 1 square away at their deployment point. And an Imperial Officer, just because I guess? So this forces Jynn to go first next turn and of course she blows the tech test, even with rerolls. So she gets flipped to wounded by all the blaster shots, other stuff happens and the prisoner gets sprung on the same turn that the door gets opened up but of course there was a 4 turn time limit on the terminal that we didn't know about so it was all for nothing because it immediately despawns while Jynn tries to stay alive against 2 Trandoshan Hunters. Utter failure as the Imperial player piles on a pouncing Nexu and Probe Droid and the 2 Trandoshan hunters march down the hallway and blow away the prisoner in one turn (Wookie hosed up and didn't have any spare strain).

Our after-action report showed that the entire mission is designed for the Rebels to go hard at the Terminal and the go hard for the prisoner. Splitting the group was exactly the wrong thing to do, but of course it's been exactly the right thing to do in other missions.

As a Descent 1e player, where you always knew where the Overlord could spawn, I don't like the hidden deployment points and I don't like the mission scripting system. Maybe turn 5 will have an AT-ST show up? Maybe turn 3 will have a door explode? Or maybe there's a time limit on something that you won't know about? Or maybe nothing will happen at all and you'll spread yourself too thin trying to tackle too many things because the whole thing feels way too random? I know this sounds bitchy and whiny but like I said, that mission sucked. Hidden time limits + hidden deployments = no planning possible. And I really feel that the missions are balanced around the Rebel players knowing what's going to happen.

I read everyhing to the rebel players under the section "mission briefing". This includes the 4 round limit and also that the mission will progress when the cell door to the captive opens. this gives the rebel players enough for an informed decision imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Muurkas posted:

I read everyhing to the rebel players under the section "mission briefing". This includes the 4 round limit and also that the mission will progress when the cell door to the captive opens. this gives the rebel players enough for an informed decision imo.

Ok but I really wish there was a tag or a symbol or something next to the info that had to be read to the players. Because otherwise you end up with a bit of bitterness when the Imperial player decides that something like "a time limit on a terminal" isn't mission critical info.

Also: can someone who has access to the Imperial Hospitality mission tell me what the starting threat for the Imperial player is supposed to be?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 8, 2015

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

Grey Hunter posted:

They are in the light/dark plastic, so yeah, I'd assume so.

Come on Amazon, hurry up and ship my copy! Just becuase I got in on your £47 "offer" (he he he) doesn't mean you need to punish me like this.

Call them and complain. I just did and what they did is had me buy it from one of the sellers that has it in stock and they're refunding me the difference in pricing so I still get it for the $53.96 price.

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
Starting treath is supposed to be zero. This is standard unless something else is specified. I believe everything under a section needs to be communicated to the rebels , as soon as the relevant trigger activates that section. triggers, unactivated sections, reserved groups and open groups are secret. I'v played it this way for 5 missions now without any drama or imbalances.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Muurkas posted:

Starting treath is supposed to be zero. This is standard unless something else is specified. I believe everything under a section needs to be communicated to the rebels , as soon as the relevant trigger activates that section. triggers, unactivated sections, reserved groups and open groups are secret. I'v played it this way for 5 missions now without any drama or imbalances.

Right, ok, but can someone confirm that there is NO starting threat for Imperial Hospitality?

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
none whatsoever. UNLESS you brought an ally along. Then the imp player can make an optional deployment at the start of the mission for the value of the ally.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
How much work would anyone estimate to build an Armada game in the style of Imperial Assault, i.e. a team of players working towards mission objectives against a GM?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Muurkas posted:

none whatsoever. UNLESS you brought an ally along. Then the imp player can make an optional deployment at the start of the mission for the value of the ally.

No ally. Jeez, another Imperial cock-up.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

No ally. Jeez, another Imperial cock-up.

Its kind of reassuring me on the one hand that a lot of complaints people are having are the result of rules mistakes, but on the other hand its kind of worrying if it indicates the system is overly complicated or fiddly. I've got ImpAss and 5 of the Wave 1 Releases sitting in my Amazon cart and I'm really struggling to decide whether to pick it up or not. Its mostly wanting to make sure I'm getting a solid game for that price.

Speaking of which, what are the most necessary or useful of the Wave 1 sets?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh no this is 100% on the Imperial player who apparently only liked the idea of playing board games and not the reality of, you know, learning the rules and poo poo.

I would say a good pack is the Royal Guard Champion (baller as gently caress and has some great agenda cards), Luke, Han, and Chewie because they are cool.

IG-88 if you feel like it, I dunno. He's cool, he heals himself and chooses 2 dice to roll every time he attacks.

Edit: if anyone cares, over on BGG they're saying that you shouldn't tell Rebels about the terminal only being available to hack for 4 turns. So whatever. Seems like poo poo design to me, hope this doesn't happen again.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 8, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ImpAss isn't very fiddly. It actually has great rules. But it's split up between 3 different books, which is a huge pain in the rear end.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I define "fiddly" as "having to stop and look up the rules semi-frequently because it's not intuitive" which, with your note about the rules being spread out across 3 books (and thereby being hard to reference), seem to support exactly what I'm saying.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Edit: if anyone cares, over on BGG they're saying that you shouldn't tell Rebels about the terminal only being available to hack for 4 turns. So whatever. Seems like poo poo design to me, hope this doesn't happen again.

The rulebook is pretty explicit that the Rebels get read EVERYTHING that appears under the Mission Briefing section for a mission. I'd have to read the mission to say specifically for that mission, but if that limit is under the Mission Briefing section, you are supposed to know it. You need to make sure that your Imperial player knows that rule and the starting threat rules, otherwise you will get hosed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Had my first skirmish match in Impass last night and while it was just the scenario on the back of the skirmish book it was quite fun! Definitely plays alot faster than a campaign mission, just kind of wish they had included a way to play teams or at least include 3 and 4 player options for it as well so that you're not locked into a campaign with a bigger group.

e:also never knew that imps had to start with 0 threat!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for all the ImpAss feedback. I went ahead and bought it and every Ally/Villain pack except Weiss and Saboteurs. I am kind of regretting it, but cautiously optimistic. Should be able to get some gaming in over the next month and a half I'm here, and will try my best to fit it into my luggage when I move overseas. I have a bad habit of buying poo poo right before I leave a place.

I imagine its possible to condense everything down and get rid of the giant box before I leave, especially if the AT-ST remains unassembled. We're looking at like: tokens, miniatures that are pretty small except the AT-ST, cards, and then map tiles, right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So I'm learning the hard way that if your Imperial player and owner of the game doesn't really care about reading the rules it kind of fucks up the game real bad. Make sure your Imperial player likes this poo poo, fellas, because mine doesn't and he's getting pissed off that the guy who does (that's me!) is constantly correcting him.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

"Oh it's Round 6? Yeah you guys lose now because you were on a time limit. I don't know why you weren't going for the obviously important terminals and just kept killing my guys, what do you mean i didn't tell you any of that? It's secret information!"

Speaking of Ally and Villian packs do the ones that come with the generic guys (rebel saboteurs and Troopers) come with anything important? I have Han Chewie and IG-88 and they all came with skirmish stuff and a campaign mission around them and was wondering if it was worth the extra money to get the regular guys as well?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

"Oh it's Round 6? Yeah you guys lose now because you were on a time limit. I don't know why you weren't going for the obviously important terminals and just kept killing my guys, what do you mean i didn't tell you any of that? It's secret information!"

Speaking of Ally and Villian packs do the ones that come with the generic guys (rebel saboteurs and Troopers) come with anything important? I have Han Chewie and IG-88 and they all came with skirmish stuff and a campaign mission around them and was wondering if it was worth the extra money to get the regular guys as well?

From what I understand they also come with a side mission for the campaign, command cards, and skirmish scenarios.

Has anyone tried playing with less than 4 rebels? How do the Legendary/Heroic adjustments work in practice? I was seeing some complaints on BGG about how the increased health totals made scenarios where the Imperial player had to wound all rebels nearly impossible. Are there any scenarios where thats the sole win condition?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

We're playing with 3 players after starting with 4.

There's 3 extra health per player. You don't really notice it IMO.

It hasn't helped Jynn at all, she literally gets wounded every game usually in a single round and sometimes in a single Stormtrooper unit activation (Shock Trooper + Show of Force = ouch)

The Wookie gets pretty badly mauled but usually doesn't get wounded now that we know his trouble spots. He can get back a lot of health with Wookie Loyalty and that ability that lets him pay a strain to discard a condition and two wounds. He's tough and deadly if he has a little support. If he gets out by himself and is against a couple of good units though he can get overwhelmed and hurt.

The Jedi just doesn't get targeted very much because my Imperial player spends too much time pounding on the Wookie tbh. When I'm the Imperial player I'm gonna bleed and stun the gently caress outta this player because the Jedi can do a LOT of heavy lifting with her Lightsaber (it's sick, seriously) AND be a very good support character if she has the Strain to do so.

The missing player leads to some weirdness with objectives and things. You have to be careful because it's tempting to use the double activations to go hog-wild and leave the rest of the group behind but...don't do that. Getting isolated is real bad in Imperial Assault (same as Descent), especially if you don't know the deployment zones yet.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Where as with only 2 players (with 2 Heroes played by one person) you get 10 extra health and 2 activations per round per person (although you cannot activate the same person twice in a row) and at least when i was playing as the rebels i ended up using the extra health as a buffer to take damage while i ran for the objectives and completely ignored everything else unless it was in my way. With only 2 players you can't really afford to get bogged down in fighting, especially in maps where you have a tight time limit and 4 objectives spread out over a huge map.

If you're gonna play with only 2 players i'd say have the Rebels step up and play with 4 players if they can handle it since it'll make for a more interesting game.

We're playing with 3 players after starting with 4.

There's 3 extra health per player. You don't really notice it IMO.

It hasn't helped Jynn at all, she literally gets wounded every game usually in a single round and sometimes in a single Stormtrooper unit activation (Shock Trooper + Show of Force = ouch)

Jyn is a good candidate for 2 players since she gets an extra 10 health which means she has a bit more wiggle room to use her crazy maneuverability and quickshot skills.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Got my first game of Armada in (other than the "tutuorial" scenario in the L2P book) today at the FLGS. Split my core set between myself and another player, I ran
+++ SWA Imperial 180pts (176pts) +++

++ Imperial (Standard) (176pts) ++

+ Victory Star Destroyer (136pts) +

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (136pts) [Enhanced Armament (10pts), Weapons Liaison (3pts), •Dominator (12pts), •Grand Moff Tarkin (38pts)]

+ Squadrons (40pts) +

TIE Fighter Squadron (8pts)

•"Howlrunner" (16pts)

against

+++ SWA Rebel Core 180 (180pts) +++

++ Rebel Alliance (Standard) (180pts) ++

+ Nebulon-B Frigate (90pts) +

Nebulon-B Escort Frigate (90pts) [Engineering Team (5pts), H9 Turbolasers (8pts), •General Dodonna (20pts)]

+ CR90 Corvette (57pts) +

CR90 Corvette B (57pts) [Nav Team (4pts), Overload Pulse (8pts), •Dodonna's Pride (6pts)]

+ Squadrons (33pts) +

X-Wing Squadron (13pts)

•Luke Skywalker (20pts)

or something like that, can't remember the Rebel configuration exactly. I had the initiative, and we drew Superior Positions for the objective. I split my TIEs foolishly and ended up not doing much of anything with them at all, activated them in bad order and everything too, preventing myself from taking advantage of swarm and Howlrunner's abilities. They only managed to do 4 damage to a single x-wing the whole game. Definitely learned to keep my swarm together. Other than that I just scooted Dominator slowly across the board. He flew Dodonna's Pride in to range 1 of my port arc and got one shotted, I ended up taking a few damage from the nebulon sneaking around my aft, and the game ended with a narrow 7 point margin of victory for me. Also got an acrylic concentrate fire tokenand the alt art for the Nebulon-B Support ship. Good times.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Just curious if you could go into more detail on any complaints? I'm mainly getting it for the campaign, but I'd also like to hear more info on the skirmish game.

Sorry for late reply

As far as I can tell, the skirmish game is balanced for a straight up fight between the skirmish card stats. The thing is, the interesting bits of the game all seem to be in the campaign. Skirmish has tons of objective missions, but as far as I can tell from the rulebook, Threat isn't a thing. Like, I played the campaign and it seemed really cool because the hero characters were super beefy and it was a game of attrition as you dealt with the Imperials constantly reinforcing and whatnot. In Skirmish play, it's not balanced for all the little narrative items that make Campaign fun. Heroes aren't as strong, and Imps don't reinforce.

On top of that, the whole game seems wayyyyy too up to the dice.

Anyone who plays more, feel free to correct me

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kill_Discussion posted:

Call them and complain. I just did and what they did is had me buy it from one of the sellers that has it in stock and they're refunding me the difference in pricing so I still get it for the $53.96 price.

Just got the shipping email - right in time for a week off work.....

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

Just got the shipping email - right in time for a week off work.....

Are you in the US? I contacted amazon and they just said "we dont know, keep waiting or cancel and buy it from another seller"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Are you in the US? I contacted amazon and they just said "we dont know, keep waiting or cancel and buy it from another seller"

UK I'm afraid. They've had in stock for two weeks for third party sellers - I think they are dragging their heels hoping impatient nerds will cancel their orders.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?s=0&section=Armada+Squadrons

More squadrons for Armada! These look really cool, ya'll

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Can't help but think those guys will be getting a cease and desist letter soon...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
He's got quite alot of stuff for X-Wing on his page, but I can see him getting nailed for the armada defenders and phantoms. Those gunboats look really great though :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
This is really stupid, and yet I want one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99uj3ImnbM