Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I'm not at all implying bias or treating the 'wrong' people more harshly didn't happen, I'm talking about murdering people out in the open on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Toasticle posted:

I'm not at all implying bias or treating the 'wrong' people more harshly didn't happen, I'm talking about muredring people out in the open on a regular basis.

Oh booyyyyy.

Listen, I'll try to put this very softly: you have no loving clue.

The fact that cops wear some camo pants sometimes and have rifles in the car with helmets doesn't mean that they aren't better in every way today.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Toasticle posted:

I'm not at all implying bias or treating the 'wrong' people more harshly didn't happen, I'm talking about murdering people out in the open on a regular basis.

Yes, this used to happen a lot more often, especially to black people.

Why do you think it didn't?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Because while my memory may well be failing, strangling someone out in the open for selling loose cigarettes or blowing away a guy in a toy store was never something you heard about.

Maybe I should clarify: It's become so routine that doing it in full view of the public with video cameras/cell phones hasn't stopped it. Yes with no witnesses it happened but not in any way so loving blatantly as today.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Toasticle posted:

Because while my memory may well be failing, strangling someone out in the open for selling loose cigarettes or blowing away a guy in a toy store was never something you heard about.

Because no one gave a poo poo what the good old boys club did to the niggers on the other side of the railroad tracks?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Toasticle posted:

Maybe I should clarify: It's become so routine that doing it in full view of the public with video cameras/cell phones hasn't stopped it. Yes with no witnesses it happened but not in any way so loving blatantly as today.

It really did happen just as blatantly, and people approved of it happening. You think those cops who set dogs on the blacks marching in the civil rights marches were better than the cops we have today? More sensitive, less likely to shoot a guy running away from them?

Why?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I said out in full view of the public not off somewhere where nobody saw it happen

Edit Jesus gently caress can we acrptually have a conversation like adults without this bullshit. I'm obviously not talking about riots, I specifically said and am talking about the recent slew of completely (Rice) innocent kids or the toy gun guy, not loving open riots.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Toasticle posted:

I said out in full view of the public not off somewhere where nobody saw it happen

Nobody except other black people, that is.

Seriously, what is your point of reference? Are you just arguing from your own reckons?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Toasticle posted:

You never heard about it because it was completely normal and viewed by many as a positive. For example the local police would often take an active hand in lynching people. We're seeing a lot of frustration and anger over bad policing in the black community today, but it's not at the level of say the Watts Riots or the Rodney King Riots. poo poo is still reprehensible and change is desperately needed, but there is no way you can say that things are worse overall than they were twenty years ago.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I give, cops have been killing kids and innocent shoppers for decades, I just don't remember any of it.

You win.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Toasticle posted:

I give, cops have been killing kids and innocent shoppers for decades, I just don't remember any of it.

You win.

They have, in the black community, and it didn't get reported on because we were incredibly racist and segregated.

Why is this hard for you to accept? Seems pretty common sense to me.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I said I am wrong. What more do you want.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Growing up in the early 90s I recall there being a big dust up cause an NYPD officer killed a kid for pointing a toy gun at him, back when toy guns looked realistic, and that's why toy guns are banned in NYC.

So yeah the police are terrible now, just slightly less so and in different ways than 30-40 years ago. Hell as much as I dislike the NYPD I'm sure as hell a lot fewer cops are on the take today than say in 1985.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here's a legitimate and an acceptable way to arrest someone in the subway back in the better days during an undercover NYPD sting.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 10, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

I see where folks are coming from and I don't believe the position against capital punishment is an easy one to hold if you see some really bad poo poo, and I say this as someone who has a reputation on here for getting real mad at this type of poo poo.

I'm just saying the rationale doesn't change because the guy was Real Bad.

Actually changing the punishment based on the crime is exactly what legal systems do, there's absolutely no inconsistency sorry.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vahakyla posted:

Here's a legitimate and an acceptable way to arrest someone in the subway back in the better days during an undercover NYPD sting.

What's your argument? I have a vague feeling that you're full of poo poo from your previous arguments, but you've successfully set yourself up to reply in a contrary fashion to any followup statement someone might make in response.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

tsa posted:

Actually changing the punishment based on the crime is exactly what legal systems do, there's absolutely no inconsistency sorry.

We change the punishment based on crime parameters but the death penalty is sought on a subjective basis with no real working definition. Sentencing can also be adjusted by the judge based on subjectivity as well but that's also an often abused feature of the legal system.

But the issue at hand is if you are against the death penalty does that change when it's a Real Bad guy. If the answer is yes, you were never against the death penalty in the first place

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
For some reason people think that just because the DP doesn't provide deterrent for some crimes, it doesn't deter any crimes. This is entirely false, harsh penalties for public officials who grossly violate the public trust has been shown to reduce such behavior.

Financial crimes are also shown to be highly reduced by harsher punishments, since usually a cost benefit analysis is done.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

tsa posted:

For some reason people think that just because the DP doesn't provide deterrent for some crimes, it doesn't deter any crimes. This is entirely false, harsh penalties for public officials who grossly violate the public trust has been shown to reduce such behavior.

We should strive to be like China.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Devor posted:

What's your argument? I have a vague feeling that you're full of poo poo from your previous arguments, but you've successfully set yourself up to reply in a contrary fashion to any followup statement someone might make in response.

I just argued with a person that posited that police were better back in the day and that times are getting worse which clearly is not the case unless one only goes by what happens in one's own upper class white development.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

botany posted:

Militarization is a recent phenomenon but US cops used to be way more blatantly racist. You have to remember that the reason you didn't hear anything about racial profiling, for instance, is that racial profiling was official policy and legal until the DOJ made it haraam in 2003.

Anecdotes from 60s-70s NYPD officers indicate that it was downright common to hear milder slurs like "guinea" thrown at suspects or even just uncooperative civilians.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Toasticle posted:

So is this a 'it's always been like this but now we hear about it because internet' or are you seriously implying the militarization and overall attitude of us vs them has not gotten worse in the lst three decades?

Edit: And yes I am saying in the 70's/80's the stories that are coming out almost weekly at this point were loving huge deals on the rare occasions they did happen, or heard about them. I remember dirty cop stories were about stealing drugs/drug money or taking bribes, I cannot remember a single Tamir rice, Brown, the guy with the BB gun or any of the other dozens of hosed poo poo happening on a now regular basis.

That's because the systematic murder of black men was not considered to be newsworthy or a problem until recently. In addition, camera phones have made it possible to document police murder.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

tsa posted:

Financial crimes are also shown to be highly reduced by harsher punishments, since usually a cost benefit analysis is done.

People think it doesn't work as a deterrent because it's never been shown to in the US, also most crimes which end up getting death penalty aren't crimes where you stop and think "hmm maybe I shouldn't mass murder these people" or the criminal isn't in their right mind.

The death penalty is stupid and also not really defensible on any number of fronts other than maybe bloodthirst.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Vahakyla posted:

I just argued with a person that posited that police were better back in the day and that times are getting worse which clearly is not the case unless one only goes by what happens in one's own upper class white development.

Im white. Lower class and had exactly one white friend back then. I spent a lot of time in these areas around the people who I incorrectly remembered things like that not happening too nor talked about except for two I can recall that were more than likely stupid enough to draw on a cop which everyone knew and felt "dumb fucker probably pulled his gun out".

I am not re-arguing anything, just replacing your straw man with the actual person you were arguing with.

And both survived, one got shot once, the other from what I heard poo poo his pants and dropped when they drew on him.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

SedanChair posted:

That's because the systematic murder of black men was not considered to be newsworthy or a problem until recently. In addition, camera phones have made it possible to document police murder.

And the killing of poor white men is still not news worthy. Killedbypolice.net has a disturbing number of shootings vs unarmed individuals. They seem to be willing to shoot everyone, even Asians!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The SF sheriff's deputy who let a federal prisoner escape is getting fired, and might face criminal charges:

http://www.ktvu.com/story/28773716/san-francisco-deputy-investigated-in-county-jail-break

And the FBI is investigating the SF Sheriff's dept. because of the whole "let's make prisoners fight" thing:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/10/fbi-agrees-to-investigate-allegations-of-forced-inmate-fighting-at-san-francisco-jail/
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfranci...ent?oid=2926163

Gotta love how the Sheriff implies that the public defender investigating on his own , and not alerting him to what was going on, contributed to the fighting continuing. Yeah, I can't imagine why the public defender wouldn't trust the Sheriff's dept. (such a paragon of virtue) to police and investigate itself fairly and properly. Supposedly the FBI investigation is because the Sheriff requested it, in order for there to be an impartial investigation....but something tells me that if this had been brought to the Sheriff's attention earlier, he would have tried as hard as possible to handle it internally with a minimum of outside attention, and without getting the feds involved.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Obdicut posted:

Unless you can translate this into legal terms, though, it's useless. "No realistic possibility" isn't something that you can really adjudicate. How do you create an actual framework to administer this and put it into legal terms that won't be abused?

This has literally nothing to do with consistency.

I really don't understand why this comes up so much about the DP though, being consistent is hardly a concern for most people here.

tsa fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 10, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

tsa posted:

This has literally nothing to do with consistency.

Why are you talking about consistency? I'm saying that you can't allow the death penalty, at all, because there's no way to write "When you're really, really, really sure" in a legal fashion. There's no objective measure of the level of evidence.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Obdicut posted:

Why are you talking about consistency? I'm saying that you can't allow the death penalty, at all, because there's no way to write "When you're really, really, really sure" in a legal fashion. There's no objective measure of the level of evidence.

has to get a unanimous vote in favor of the death penalty in the US Senate and Supreme Court on a case by case basis :unsmigghh:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Accretionist posted:

In a nutshell, because I'm on my phone, you'd want to come at the issue with epidemiological studies,

Why? There's plenty of other ways to model it and no real obvious reason you would treat it like a disease.

Toasticle posted:

Edit Jesus gently caress can we acrptually have a conversation like adults without this bullshit. I'm obviously not talking about riots, I specifically said and am talking about the recent slew of completely (Rice) innocent kids or the toy gun guy, not loving open riots.

This is exactly why we need to collect data, because what you remember is completely irrelevant and not evidence of anything.

tsa fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 10, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

blunt for century posted:

has to get a unanimous vote in favor of the death penalty in the US Senate and Supreme Court on a case by case basis :unsmigghh:

Better idea, Death Penalty is allowed, but the governor of the state has to be the one to carry it out and not by proxy, he has to actually pull the trigger, or push the button or whatever.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Toasticle posted:

Man why did you have to quit :saddowns:

I quit because my wife, who makes waay more money than me, got a job in another state. Also, I wanted to be a school teacher.

Zeitgueist posted:

Hmm seems like policework has a tendency to drive out well-meaning and well-adjusted sensible people.

That might be a problem.

There are a lot of well-meaning and sensible cops. Usually it's the new guys who want to save the world and help every troubled person. But there's just so much rape/murder/drugs/child abuse/rage/horrible stuff a human being can be exposed to before they have a personality change.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Powercrazy posted:

Better idea, Death Penalty is allowed, but the governor of the state has to be the one to carry it out and not by proxy, he has to actually pull the trigger, or push the button or whatever.

gently caress it, at that point, make it a beheading with a huge axe. That way we get rid of the flabby ancient conservatives

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Its a hot news month for the coppers.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/protests-explode-after-kkk-plot-kill-black-men-florida-prison-exposed

quote:

Protests Explode After KKK Plot to Kill Black Men in Florida Prison Is Exposed

Two of the suspects involved were officers at the Florida Department of Corrections.

Last week, the state of Florida arrested three alleged members of the Ku Klux Klan who had plotted to kill an African American inmate after he was released from prison. While white supremacist terror plots are not uncommon, this one had a peculiar twist: two of the suspects involved were officers at the Florida Department of Corrections.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/family-releases-dashcam-cops-killing-mentally-ill-son-his-underwear-holding-broom

quote:

Family Releases Dashcam of Cops Killing Mentally Ill Son in His Underwear for Holding a Broom

... The family of Lavall Hall, a 25-year-old mentally ill man killed by Miami Gardens Officer Eddo Trimino, chose to release dashcam footage of the February 15 incident on Wednesday evening. They maintain that it proves excessive force and that Trimino had no reason to leave an 8-year-old girl without a father. This is the second killing by the officer in two years.

... Unable to get him in the house, his mother called 9-1-1 for assistance to get her son back to the hospital, as he had only been released one week prior. She says that the police were aware of her son’s condition as they had responded to calls for medical assistance at her home in the past, and that she repeatedly told the officers that he was schizophrenic and bipolar on this evening.

“Don’t hurt my child,” the mother asked the officers before the encounter. The officers were heard mocking her plea in the video.

The department claims that Hall attacked officers with the broomstick and that two officers had fired tasers at him which were ineffective. The family maintains that this was a murder and that the police had no intention of leaving the scene with him alive.

In the video, the officer is heard screaming “get on the f—ing ground or you’re dead.” He then fires his service weapon pointed slightly downwards four times, then moving closer for a fifth shot.

Hall is not seen in the frame. After repeatedly shooting Hall, the officer callously screams at the fatally injured man to put his hands behind his back.

Its like the dogs are trained to attack or something.

Oh yeah, and on that last one:

quote:

A lawyer for the family alleges that ever since the Chief of Police was recently caught soliciting a prostitute and fired from the department, they have received no updates on the case. They no longer know who is even in charge of it. They also believe there is more footage that the department is withholding.

Its like the entire police culture of America is ...?

We will all soon be safe from "filming police committing crimes" if NY has any say in the matter.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/04/eric-garner-video-ramsey-orta-rikers

quote:

The Guy Who Filmed Eric Garner's Death Is Still Fighting To Get Out of Jail

It's been a rough eight months for the man who shot the video of Eric Garner's death. Since Garner was killed by a police officer's chokehold on a Staten Island sidewalk last July, Ramsey Orta, the 23-year-old who filmed the scene, has been arrested twice and has spent the past two months in Rikers Island.

Orta also fears that jail officials will try to poison him. "He's not eating the food that Rikers provides him," one of his attorneys, William Aronin, says. "Instead, he's surviving right now off of candy bars, chips, things he can get on the vending machine or the commissary. He's hungry, he is not happy, and he is scared."

Orta has reportedly been arrested 27 times since 2009 for alleged offenses including drug possession, robbery, and fare evasion. His attorneys say the majority of the arrests have not led to charges, and that they believe Orta's claims of being unfairly targeted are viable.

Or maybe that dude "needed" arresting 27 times with almost no charges filed?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Toasticle posted:

I said I am wrong. What more do you want.

You didn't though, you got incredibly pissy and defensive when we pointed out that your (actually completely correct) position of "I never heard about police abuses like I do now" is explained by the fact that they were not understood to be abuses back then. And yeah, that's the point: you would not have heard of a black guy getting choked to death over cigarettes because who gave a poo poo about that back then?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sorry to come back late to these, but allow me to reply.

Agrajag posted:

I honestly can't get mad at a robber killing his victim for fear of being identified and having his life taken away.

I honestly can't get mad at a drunk driver for causing a fatal accident and driving away for fear of going to prison.

Mavric posted:

Planting the taser and lying about it shows he is evil. If covering his own rear end was more important than the truth then he is evil.

I'm mad at him because he murdered somebody. The fact that he tried to get away with it after is just human nature because getting convicted of murder destroys your life.

The robbery example is a poor comparison. Walker is already dead and nothing we do to the officer is going to bring him back. Trying to get away with it is still a crime, but a trifle barely worth mentioning compared to the murder itself. Deciding that you would prefer to end somebody's life to avoid the penalty for a much lesser crime is an entirely different valuation altogether. The drunk driver is a better example, and again I condemn them much more for the fact that they killed somebody doing something criminally stupid than that they didn't want to have a decade of their lives taken away after the damage had already been done. It's not noble, but do you really expect people to willingly face consequences of that degree, especially considering that they will be purely punitive rather than offering any sort of restitution to the victims?

I really wish my country would get over its raging boner for punishing criminals instead of reducing victims.

botany posted:

You didn't though, you got incredibly pissy and defensive when we pointed out that your (actually completely correct) position of "I never heard about police abuses like I do now" is explained by the fact that they were not understood to be abuses back then. And yeah, that's the point: you would not have heard of a black guy getting choked to death over cigarettes because who gave a poo poo about that back then?

He has already conceded the point twice holy poo poo shut up and win graciously.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

botany posted:

Not to mention we also hear about it more these days due to the internet and 24/7 news with easily accessed archives and such. Even if a similar incident were reported on in 1960 or 1980, it most likely would have stayed local news.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I think that while police aren't literally members of the Klan these days, there's a lot of subconscious/institutional racism going on in police departments and the fact that police aren't explicitly killing black men for the race doesn't mean it's not still happening as bad or close to as bad.

Combined with the media finally starting to notice the situation which the community has been yelling about for decades.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

botany posted:

No, I said I don't remember it being this blatant and out in the open and even said it did happen just not choking people to death out in the open. I tried to clarify that's what I was arguing since I wasn't clear that's what I was trying to say. My mistake.

Again: I am not saying cops do more awful poo poo than in the past. Only that it's out in the open and despite cameras and cell phones the only change is trying to make it illegal to film a cop doing what they've a,ways done. Sorry if I get pissy but don't try and tell me you don't get frustrated when people argue what they want you have said and not what you are trying (and I failed) to say.

I was wrong. No qualifications. Cops have a,ways been horrible it's just a matter of degrees, I concede that. Ok?

Edit: before I get jumped on again, SOME cops. There are lots of good ones.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
SLED claims that they were skeptical before the release of the video already.

quote:

the South Carolina law enforcement agency investigating the fatal police shooting of an apparently unarmed man who was shot in the back over the weekend said Thursday they knew almost immediately that something didn't appear right.

The statement by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division comes after attorneys representing victim's family and others said they don't believe North Charleston police officer Michael Slager would have been charged with murder if shocking video showing the deadly encounter had not come to light.

"There were inconsistencies including what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds in Mr. Scott's back," SLED Chief Mark Keel said in a statement. He said the video did play a role in the investigation.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/walter-scott-shooting/investigators-we-had-doubts-about-walter-scott-shooting-video-n338926

Officer Slager also had a bond hearing through videolink: http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nbc-news/police-officer-michael-slager-appears-before-judge-via-videolink-424680515982

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2015

• Locked thread