Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Ufomammut is going to be touring the US with Usnea starting mid-May. Looks like the closest they'll get to me is playing St. Vitus in Brooklyn, so I don't know if I'll get to see them, but I'm going to try to make it.

http://www.neurotrecordings.com/artists/ufomammut/ufomammut.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I totally forgot that Stoned Jesus was working on a new album - it was released about a month and a half ago.

http://stonedjesus.bandcamp.com/album/the-harvest

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Roadburn has been ridiculously loving good so far, oh god my feet are killing me

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Sailor moon backpatch spotted at weedeater show

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ChickenArise posted:

Blackout (reminds me of old Melvins),

First search result:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I just found out that Weedeater are playing about a 20- or 25-minute bus ride from me tonight. Should I go and does anyone know anything about King Parrot, Cokegoat or The Swan King?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

So I just found out that Weedeater are playing about a 20- or 25-minute bus ride from me tonight. Should I go and does anyone know anything about King Parrot, Cokegoat or The Swan King?

I'm mad if you don't see Weedeater

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm guessing that means you aren't able to make it, nerve? I'm getting a ticket right now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

I'm guessing that means you aren't able to make it, nerve? I'm getting a ticket right now.

I actually didn't know about this show and it's too late for me to drive down and catch them now I think (milwaukee)

Saw them last year at Reggie's though and it was amazing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dope. I actually had only listened to Jason the Dragon until recently and wasn't huge on it, but a little while ago I checked out God Luck and Good Speed and realized that they're pretty drat good. And groovy riffs are always good live, so why not?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Dixie is the poo poo. You loved it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll always remember Dave attacking his dying head for failing him during a set. He was beating the poo poo out of the thing until it completely quit at which point he yanked it from the top of his amp to the floor, where he kicked and spit onto it, before informing the crowd that "poo poo just breaks all the goddamn time."

Dixie rules and Weedeater rules.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

king parrot also puts on a hell of a show, for the record

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Inter Arma was amazing tonight. Yautja and Forn also did a great job. NYC goons, if you aren't already going, they're at St. Vitus tonight.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yoober posted:

king parrot also puts on a hell of a show, for the record

King Parrot were loving amazing and hilarious. Weedeater were great but their set is like 45 minutes. Dixie is indeed a goddamn legend though.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Holy hell do the new Monolord tracks own. The first album had potential but was just way too monotonous, but it looks like they've stepped their songwriting up a notch. Could be the album of the year if the rest of the songs are at the same level of quality.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ElectricWizard posted:

Saw Thou perform Heathen in its entirety at Roadburn. gently caress me, what an intense experience.

:aaaaa:

That must of been amazing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

King Parrot are loving garbage and I have no idea why anyone finds them funny or musically enjoyable.

Psycroptic is the superior Australian (non-doom/stoner) metal band.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laserface posted:

Psycroptic is the superior Australian (non-doom/stoner) metal band.

There's lots of excellent metal bands from Australia, what are you getting at?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

There's lots of excellent metal bands from Australia, what are you getting at?

Im pretty out of touch with the local scene, its harder to find gigs (or even rock gigs) at all these days.

But my main point is King Parrot are terrible.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I saw King Parrot open for Down, and to me they sounded like a bad Pantera clone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I saw King Parrot open for Down, and to me they sounded like a bad Pantera clone.

Are you sure you dont have the bands mixed up there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different band, unless Pantera had a grind era I'm unaware of.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Waitaminute, what's this? :monocle:

Just in time for the show next Monday!

Action shots:

I really like this kind of presentation. Very clean looking.

Bonus sticker pic:

Haven't listened yet, but I should get a few good times through at work tomorrow.

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie
Some good Australian Stoner/Doom/Sludge bands:

Watchtower

Holy Serpent

Horsehunter

Yanomamo

Drowning Horse

Adrift for Days

Jupiter Zeus

Bonus honourary Aussies (because anything good that comes from New Zealand we claim as our own)

Beastwars

A by no means exhaustive list.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Shakenbaker posted:

Waitaminute, what's this? :monocle:

Just in time for the show next Monday!

Action shots:

I really like this kind of presentation. Very clean looking.

Bonus sticker pic:

Haven't listened yet, but I should get a few good times through at work tomorrow.

No way. Hope that means mine is finally on its way too!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

No way. Hope that means mine is finally on its way too!

I'd bet on you having it soon. It caught me off guard and took me a few seconds to figure out exactly what it was. It's been a while, ya know?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Don't forget Frown when discussing ausdoom

https://frown666.bandcamp.com

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

So who was 'first'? Earth, Sleep or Melvins? I'm guessing Hung Bunny is?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess you mean Sunn O))) rather than Sleep? If so yeah it was probably Melvins, Lysol came out in 1992 and Earth 2 in '93. Who knows how much they influenced one another. Sunn O))) was later, and are sometimes described as having started out as an Earth tribute band.

If you did mean Sleep, then they released early versions of some of the songs on Volume One as Asbestosdeath in 1990, and Volume One itself came out in 1991. The more stonery Holy Mountain was 1992 and the kinda droney Jerusalem (earlier cut of Dopesmoker) came out super delayed in 1999 but was recorded several years earlier. But I don't think their music is completely comparable to Melvins and Earth.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nosophoros posted:

So who was 'first'? Earth, Sleep or Melvins? I'm guessing Hung Bunny is?

First in terms of what? All those bands were influenced by older doom metal bands.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

black sabbath

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm sure everyone already knows this but new Ufomammut is so good

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different band, unless Pantera had a grind era I'm unaware of.

Now that I think about it, the sound for King Parrot's set was so bad that I can't even recall what they sounded like. I think I based the Pantera comparison on the lead singer trying as hard as he could to be Australian Phil Anselmo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah you dont know who or what you are talking about.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Hey man, there was a guy playing a Dimebag guitar and a bald dude swearing a lot, give me a break.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
melvins were the first

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

black sabbath

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The song "Black Sabbath" was the first doom metal band

Adbot