Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Red Queen posted:

I wonder...

CAN Coyote steal Renard back?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=817
If Renard was willing to cooperate, probably yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

JT Jag posted:

He's in the body of a doll so I think he'd no-sell it.

Can't he shift into a normal wolf?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Worthleast posted:

The phrase "let it straighten your back" is coming back to haunt me , but I can't quite put my finger on the significance of it.

Ysengrin's words of wisdom.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Followed up on here

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Can't he shift into a normal wolf?
I doubt 100% biologically a wolf. Still a doll after all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

After reading a long a little after tracking down that last link: in the fourth treatise, Annie's hair symbolizes the bond between Kat and Annie, even when they're apart.

And now that bond has been cut.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Man, those scenes w/ Ysengrin make this chapter seem even sadder, I'm impressed with Tom but will be very happy to see Annie get her grove back whenever that happens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

I wonder...

CAN Coyote steal Renard back?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=817

Not easily, since he was once interested in doing so and obviously didn't manage to.

But he's a tricky one. I'm sure he could pull it off if he put his mind to it, and perhaps had allies in the Court.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

himajinga posted:

Man, those scenes w/ Ysengrin make this chapter seem even sadder, I'm impressed with Tom but will be very happy to see Annie get her grove back whenever that happens.

Just don't do what I did and read the chapter after that. :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ughhhhh Kat please save the day we're counting on you

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
No, I don't think this is being resolved in this chapter. We're going to get at least one chapter sans Annie, probably more.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Itzena posted:

No, I don't think this is being resolved in this chapter. We're going to get at least one chapter sans Annie, probably more.

As much as it sucks I'm sure you're right. If this was an easy one and done sort of thing it would rob it of its gravitas.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don't worry. Tony had that site removed from the school.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

IUG posted:

Don't worry. Tony had that site removed from the school.

I'd love it if the next scene was of Anthony chopping the tree down.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Itzena posted:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is the central conflict whose resolution takes the entire rest of the comic to achieve and everything up to now was setting the scene.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Carrasco posted:

After reading a long a little after tracking down that last link: in the fourth treatise, Annie's hair symbolizes the bond between Kat and Annie, even when they're apart.

And now that bond has been cut.

Are they supposed to be summaries of past events or hints of future events?

Also, chapters can go for 50-70 pages , so at 12 pages a month, we have several more months of this chapter to look forward to. What are your predictions? Mine are:

Annie will push Kat away - She believes that being abandoned by her father is her own fault and will do anything to win his approval.

Kat will go to her parents and Jones. They won't approve of Tony's actions but can't or won't do anything.

Eglamore will confront Tony about Annie. Tony will have the Court's backing so nothing can be done.

Not sure what else is going to happen, but I'm pretty confident about those.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm dying to know what Coyote and Ysingrin are going to say about this. And Renard too if Tony doesn't make him kill himself or some poo poo

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oh gently caress this chapter is called The Tree.

I can't even imagine what would be worse, Kat going to the tree by herself or goddamn Anthony chopping the thing down.

himajinga posted:

As much as it sucks I'm sure you're right. If this was an easy one and done sort of thing it would rob it of its gravitas.

Agreed. This kind of radical change in the status quo not only gives Annie the ultimate personal hurdle to overcome, but opens up the plot to entirely new directions. Rereading the rest of the comic (because of course I couldn't stop after that link), the Forest is going to be really, really pissed that their personal agent, pet favorite, and honorary citizen has been stolen from them...so she can study?!

Also when rereading, you're immediately reminded that Annie prior to this chapter is immensely powerful, has unbelievable etheric contacts, and has many friends in the Court who support her and her long-term goals, all of whom will react unfavorably when she suddenly vanishes just because her father thinks she should repeat a year in study prison. From today's page, it's clear that Anthony wants to literally cut her off from the ether and from her friends, but definitely doesn't know what he's dealing with (although his own etheric/scientific abilities will likely threaten even the strongest of those allies.)

UberJew posted:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is the central conflict whose resolution takes the entire rest of the comic to achieve and everything up to now was setting the scene.

That's actually entirely possible.

Most fantasy stories have followed Gunnerkrigg Court's track to date: the hero(ine) hears the call to the other magical world, and accepts the call immediately or accepts after a denial or two, goes on an adventure, and then goes back home to the real world.

Most fantasy stories do not have the real world decide to cut off the hero's access to that world forever because of abusive parents because that poo poo is dark and usually doesn't end up in kids' books. Even the Pensive Children, who got deposited back in the real world after every adventure, eventually strode off together into a magical afterlife; even Harry Potter, who has to go back to the Dursleys every summer, always went back every school year. Anthony wants to cut Annie off from all this permanently. Will magic triumph when directly challenged by the Real World's Powers that Be, especially when those Powers have been working for some time now on removing and/or assimilating magic from the Forest/the world/Annie herself for their own purposes?

Now that's a key conflict.

EDIT: Haha, no seriously, could you loving imagine if at the end of Harry Potter Book 5 or Book 6, Harry's father or Umbridge came back, snapped Harry's wand in two, brainwashed him or wiped his memories, and sent him to a Muggle school with no way out?

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 11, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Worthleast posted:

The phrase "let it straighten your back" is coming back to haunt me , but I can't quite put my finger on the significance of it.
This one? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=828

efb

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Macaluso posted:

I'm dying to know what Coyote and Ysingrin are going to say about this. And Renard too if Tony doesn't make him kill himself or some poo poo

EVERYONE is going to be furious at Anthony when they find out. Even if he does have the headmaster's backing, there's no way he's going to survive with the likes of Kat, Parley and Smitty, Jack, Zimmy and Gamma, Shadow and Robot, Red and her classmates, and so forth all wanting to bring him down for this. And that's not even counting Eglamore and the Donlans (who might have to obey the headmaster), Ysengrin and Coyote (who might not be able to reach him in the Court), and Jones (who may not be willing to interfere).

And then there's the psychopomps! They probably can't do anything directly, but Annie was agent numero uno on Project Murderghost and we've already seen they're willing to bend the rules a little for that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Oh gently caress this chapter is called The Tree. I can't even imagine what would be worse, Kat going to the tree by herself or goddamn Anthony chopping the thing down.
Given the apple, chapter title probably refers to "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and not the friendship cherry tree.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Jackard posted:

Given the apple, chapter title probably refers to "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and not the friendship cherry tree.

I had no idea that was a cherry tree. The more you know.

Still don't think it's an accident that there also happens to be another Tree that's a crucial symbol of the Kat-Annie friendship, but we'll see what plays out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

himajinga posted:

Man, I think if Ysengrin saw Annie like this...

Someone said that Tom not commenting today indicates that now is when things get serious. And it likely is. As much as Annie has a lot of powerful allies, I think Kat will remind her that she doesn't have to meekly accept what he father dictates. Ultimately, it's proper to respect one's father, of course; one should respect things such as one's parents, teachers, and fire.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'd be disappointed if violence ended up being the solution.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
violence is always a solution

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

violence is always a solution
The solution.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

JT Jag posted:

The solution.

A solution. There's also always fire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

EVERYONE is going to be furious at Anthony when they find out. Even if he does have the headmaster's backing, there's no way he's going to survive with the likes of Kat, Parley and Smitty, Jack, Zimmy and Gamma, Shadow and Robot, Red and her classmates, and so forth all wanting to bring him down for this. And that's not even counting Eglamore and the Donlans (who might have to obey the headmaster), Ysengrin and Coyote (who might not be able to reach him in the Court), and Jones (who may not be willing to interfere).

And then there's the psychopomps! They probably can't do anything directly, but Annie was agent numero uno on Project Murderghost and we've already seen they're willing to bend the rules a little for that.

The problem is that someone as frosty as Tony wouldn't have made a move like this unless he was absolutely sure he'd be protected against all forms of retaliation. The Court's obviously on his side, but he probably has further safeguards in place if any of Annie's friends try to help her.

Wonder what the guy's etheric form would look like.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Carrasco posted:

Now I can't stop :tinfoil:-ing over Jeanne somehow being involved in all of this, but it makes way more sense for her to be involved in the Robot Holy War arc. Still, her sword piercing their hair-bond in that treatise is a powerful image.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Oxxidation posted:

The problem is that someone as frosty as Tony wouldn't have made a move like this unless he was absolutely sure he'd be protected against all forms of retaliation. The Court's obviously on his side, but he probably has further safeguards in place if any of Annie's friends try to help her.

Wouldn't he?

It's still entirely possible that Anthony Carver is a complete and total idiot.

I mean, the one thing we can predict based on what we know about him is that his icy facade is a cover for some Crazy Emotions, even if we don't know exactly what those emotions are. Just because he has an evil grip on Antimony doesn't mean he actually has a plan.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I'd be disappointed if violence ended up being the solution.

I can see someone going after Tony physically, hurting him and maybe even killing him, but I don't see how that would possibly fix things. If anything, it would add the trauma of losing a loved one on top of everything else that just happened to Annie's brain.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kat, Parley and Smitty will solve the Jeanne situation on their own, and then in an epilogue a friendly and free Jeanne will use ghost powers to help them locate Annie (who disappeared without a trace on page 1502). Annie will be working as an accountant in a back room of a research station somewhere, having had her fire elemental half purged by one of Tony's procedures years ago. Tony died in that process as well, a true hero.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

A phenomenal transformation takes place.

You become...

My God.

YOU BECOME...

Anthony Carver.

Really, you are just utterly astounded by how lovely your ETHERIC POWER is. If your ETHERIC POWER was a face you would punch it.

In the face.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Combed Thunderclap posted:

EDIT: Haha, no seriously, could you loving imagine if at the end of Harry Potter Book 5 or Book 6, Harry's father or Umbridge came back, snapped Harry's wand in two, brainwashed him or wiped his memories, and sent him to a Muggle school with no way out?
That would be a loving great book and a much better lesson.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is me. Im still holding on the small hope that its all a dream and she wakes up and nothing happenes.

But I know it's not going to be a dream, poor annie. :negative:

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey, know what's funny?
One of Annie's greatest fears was she would lose Kat as a friend, a fear Annie was familiar with, since, you know, she was abandoned by her parents.
And now Kat is losing Annie, losing their friend ship in a very sudden, nearly surreal whirlwind event that, like others have said before, cut the ties that bond them.
So, uh, at least Annie is getting that out of the way early.

Poor Kat though, Annie has been inadvertently kinda lovely to her a few times. Kat thought she lost her when she fell off the bridge (Not either girl's fault, admittedly). Then Kat loses her again when Annie fucks off to the forest and forgets about their plans to spend summer together (But at least Annie apologizes for it and tries to make up). Now here's a third time, where an extraordinarily lovely father is separating his daughter from everyone she knows. I'm sure Kat will think of something. I mean, remember the time she made an anti-grav car?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

M.c.P posted:

I mean, remember the time she made an anti-grav car?
No. Was it ever mentioned again? That sounds useful.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Dammit, I'm binge rereading again to dull the pain of this page.

Edit: I miss Mort.

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's good times and there's bad times (but mostly bad).