Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking for some space weed for my players to smuggle. I've got a corrupt Imperial official that needs his fix on... something. Avabush is in the core rulebook and that looks to be pretty tame. There's also Death Sticks which sound pretty nasty, but are pretty cheap and maybe basically space cigarettes? I don't think I want something toooooo tempting for the players, but then again the punishment for not delivering the goods as requested will also be fairly stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

FISHMANPET posted:

Looking for some space weed for my players to smuggle. I've got a corrupt Imperial official that needs his fix on... something. Avabush is in the core rulebook and that looks to be pretty tame. There's also Death Sticks which sound pretty nasty, but are pretty cheap and maybe basically space cigarettes? I don't think I want something toooooo tempting for the players, but then again the punishment for not delivering the goods as requested will also be fairly stiff.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spice

This covers a bunch of mind altering drugs that will be fun and profitable to smuggle, and very, very illegal.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

FISHMANPET posted:

My party uses http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Marcan_herb in place of space weed (also, sometimes it's just "space-weed").

Death sticks are actually some kind of weird drinkable space heroin that is 100% guaranteed to kill you, which actually seems like a terrible drug.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FISHMANPET posted:

Have them smuggle rhyll.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Have them smuggle rhyll.

Bonus: Have them just have rhyll loaded onto their ship on Ryloth (where it isn't legal) and have them take it to a place where it is illegal.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Question: for a sorta "decent at all things roguish" smuggler, would it be best to get multiple trees, go straight down Scoundrel (which seems to have a lot of meh talents), or to go down Gambler? I've been looking at the Gambler tree and it seems to have a fair amount of stuff good for just about ANY character rather then being as specialized as, say, the Pilot. Double or Nothing in particular seems great for making things slightly more difficult, but dramatically improving your successes if you do succeed, with the tree then giving you stuff like Second Chances (reroll x positive dice 1/encounter), Natural Rogue/Charmer (1/session reroll Skullduggery or Stealth / Cool or Negotiation), Fortune Favors the Bold (1/session flip a destiny point from dark to light) and even Clever Solution (1/session use Cunning instead of an other stat for an action) to let you "cheat" at it. Like I said, being able to rig the odds even as you overly reward yourself for winning feels like something ANY smuggler can use, while Scoundrel seemed oddly focused on a few specific talents.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Question: for a sorta "decent at all things roguish" smuggler, would it be best to get multiple trees, go straight down Scoundrel (which seems to have a lot of meh talents), or to go down Gambler? I've been looking at the Gambler tree and it seems to have a fair amount of stuff good for just about ANY character rather then being as specialized as, say, the Pilot. Double or Nothing in particular seems great for making things slightly more difficult, but dramatically improving your successes if you do succeed, with the tree then giving you stuff like Second Chances (reroll x positive dice 1/encounter), Natural Rogue/Charmer (1/session reroll Skullduggery or Stealth / Cool or Negotiation), Fortune Favors the Bold (1/session flip a destiny point from dark to light) and even Clever Solution (1/session use Cunning instead of an other stat for an action) to let you "cheat" at it. Like I said, being able to rig the odds even as you overly reward yourself for winning feels like something ANY smuggler can use, while Scoundrel seemed oddly focused on a few specific talents.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

nothing to seehere posted:

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

I suppose I'm asking for others' opinions on if I'm right or if I'm missing something important!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some people really, really hate that sort of fourth-wall-breaking kit where your powers are explicitly tied to the dice your meatspace body is rolling. You should completely ignore them, but it is a thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We've got announcement of the first F&D supplement, an Adventure book titled Chronicles of the Gatekeeper.

While it fits the pattern of the other two game lines, I was really hoping a career splat first this time. I do like the adventures though; I've had great success running them for my table group.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It sounds like there's a ton of good content there outisde the actual adventure too, I don't think the Edge or Age adventures have that much extra content in them, do they?

Kind of excited to pick this up, as they're specifically calling it out as being compatible with Edge and Age, and I've got a force sensitive player.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well every product from all 3 lines are intercompatible.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That adventure sounds really, really cool. Even if I didn't run the full adventure itself, it sounds like there are a lot of fun pieces to pull out of it to use elsewhere.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well yeah they're compatible but (and maybe I'm wrong) but this seems like the first time they've offered a product in one line that they advertise as actually being a good supplement for any other line.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I was thinking of taking the intro adventure to Tabletop Day tomorrow and see if I could maybe get a few people interested in a game. Do you guys know of any good starter sheets/starter characters that're quick to print out? I don't really want to end up having to design a bunch of characters or anything, and I don't quite know where my starter pamphlets are.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Swags posted:

I was thinking of taking the intro adventure to Tabletop Day tomorrow and see if I could maybe get a few people interested in a game. Do you guys know of any good starter sheets/starter characters that're quick to print out? I don't really want to end up having to design a bunch of characters or anything, and I don't quite know where my starter pamphlets are.

FFG has premades here. As far as cheat sheets, check their forums; a guy named hooly has a bunch of really good ones. Phoneposting, or else I'd dig them up for you.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The AOR adventure has mass combat rules and the EOTE adventure has rules for cybernetics. Neither are as interesting as this adventure's extra rules sound. Also new race :allears:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Hello there, image that instantly sold me.

There are few settings I love more than a crumbling underwater base. Actually, they should just bring back the Selkath and Manaan into canon, that would be awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Not that canon matters to me or FFG but Selkath were in Clone Wars, so they are canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, all the FFG books are pretty explicitly Legends, so anything is fair game to them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I actually think FFG's stuff hasn't been classified yet. It's all in limbo right now. It draws from Legends stuff primarily, but so does Rebels, and I don't think any of FFG's stuff has the Legends logo on it.

e. clarity

FishFood fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 11, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FishFood posted:

I actually think FFG's stuff hasn't been classified yet. It's all in limbo right now. It draws from Legends stuff primarily, but so does Rebels, and I don't think any of their stuff has the Legends logo on it.

Rebels is part of the new Story Group canon, not Legends.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

jivjov posted:

Rebels is part of the new Story Group canon, not Legends.

I know. My point was that it draws on a lot of Legends canon just like FFGs books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Until something appears in a story group canon source, it's considered either Legends or its own separate thing. Since (with few exceptions) FFG isn't creating their own story content, instead drawing from Legends sources, it's pretty definitively Legends itself

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Who gives a gently caress what is canon or not, this is a spergy argument.

Just use whatever you like and axe whatever you think is poo poo (everything KJA ever did). Boom.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Just use whatever you like and axe whatever you think is poo poo (everything KJA ever did). Boom.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Fuzz posted:

This is the correct answer. If you want to add the evil Kilrathi because your group wants to set cat people on fire. Let's do it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ramba Ral posted:

This is the correct answer. If you want to add the evil Kilrathi because your group wants to set cat people on fire. Let's do it.

Or they could just burn up some Cathar! :dance:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, if you're gonna be playing a tabletop gaming campaign, the stories you come up with are obviously not going to be canon to anything. Go hog wild. Whenever I play, I use the Legends continuity as my starting base and just kinda go with it from there. My Force and Destiny campaign is currently facing off against a group of 8 weird force users based on the face cards of a sabaac deck. (Interestingly enough, I came up with this idea BEFORE I started watching the 3rd part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

jivjov posted:

Yeah, if you're gonna be playing a tabletop gaming campaign, the stories you come up with are obviously not going to be canon to anything. Go hog wild. Whenever I play, I use the Legends continuity as my starting base and just kinda go with it from there. My Force and Destiny campaign is currently facing off against a group of 8 weird force users based on the face cards of a sabaac deck. (Interestingly enough, I came up with this idea BEFORE I started watching the 3rd part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

This is going to be my approach when I start DMing. As a huge fan of the Jedi Knigt series of video games one idea I have for a story would be for the players to discover an Imperial conspiracy to artificially infuse people with the force. Nothing specific in mind yet but it's an idea that I keep coming back to.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So during our last game I found out a nice combo of powers with the Agitator.

Scathing tirade is a two purple intimidation check. At the top of the tree are two ranks of Intimidating so you can downgrade any intimidation checks by one per rank with a strain per rank.

So kicking it all off means two strain to do a no difficulty roll. Not bad when facing off against Sith who need the strain to power their lightsaber trees.

I know its not nearly as cheesy as other classes can do but not a bad way to help out in a fight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Then again, Sith Lords are generally nemeses and have Adversary 2, meaning you'd upgrade twice. Still, only rolling 2 purps instead of 2 reds is good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My brother introduced me to Star Wars: Rebels recently and I think it's a really cool show. Out of curiosity, which of the three games (or a mix of them) would be best for that show? Despite being about rebels, I oddly think Edge of The Empire fits better, at least so far.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh yeah way more Edge than Age of Rebellion. Rebels takes place very early in the "Rebellion," certainly before Yavin. At that point there really isn't a "Rebellion." Age of Rebellion feels like it's more about an organized alliance going up against an organized Empire, whereas Edge of the Empire is a band of people from various backgrounds doing random missions. It very much feels like an Edge game.

I'd say everything in Episode IV is "Edge" whereas the Death star battle is "Age." Episode V is really mostly Edge. Episode VI is very much Age of the Rebellion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
That's exactly what I thought. They are just a small cell and, hell, they don't even know that till the season finale.

I was looking over Force Sensitive characters and I got two questions: 1) How do I know someone is immune to force powers since some abilities mention it? 2) Is there something I'm missing with getting the Force Sensitive specialization because it's special rule is the same as purchasing additional specializations?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Age is for being an actual part of an organized (or, 'organized') Rebel force. The ones that are just scumbags drifting around shooting stormtroopers because yo gently caress the empire is what Edge is all about.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I was looking over Force Sensitive characters and I got two questions: 1) How do I know someone is immune to force powers since some abilities mention it? 2) Is there something I'm missing with getting the Force Sensitive specialization because it's special rule is the same as purchasing additional specializations?

I am not sure I understand your question, but it's a "universal specialization", which means it costs the same as an additional career specialization without being considered one.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Yes, anyone can just purchase force sensitive exile which just makes you force sensitive. Its very much a 'do you want your character to be a force user and does everyone in the party want the game to go in that direction' sort of collaborative decision. Its why its kept separately as more of a GM and the player jointly decide to do it rather than a standard option. As to immunity to force powers, the only thing thats written rules wise is droid being immune to mind control stuff. Everyone else is pretty much fair game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

I am not sure I understand your question, but it's a "universal specialization", which means it costs the same as an additional career specialization without being considered one.

My question was pretty much a "why do specify that "10x cost" thing if that is already a rule. On re-read, it was to clarify that rule implies despite it not being a career specialization.

kingcom posted:

Yes, anyone can just purchase force sensitive exile which just makes you force sensitive. Its very much a 'do you want your character to be a force user and does everyone in the party want the game to go in that direction' sort of collaborative decision. Its why its kept separately as more of a GM and the player jointly decide to do it rather than a standard option. As to immunity to force powers, the only thing thats written rules wise is droid being immune to mind control stuff. Everyone else is pretty much fair game.

Make sense since droids are machines.

Speaking of droids, to those who know Star Wars Lore, what's up with droids? Are they full sapient? Do they feel? Is it just the Empire that treats them like property or is that a general consensus? If they are sapient, why is it morally considered ok to treat them like property? Just something that bugged me about Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Don't worry, droid sapience bugged FFG as well, which is why every second adventure they release features a droid rebellion.