Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone cares about conquest I moved the ship to Belsavis. You can solo the Heroic missions there for 1500 points each, once per day. Points add up quick and if you choose the boxes as rewards they frequently have datacron decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Honestly it bugs me more that they got rid of the snare

No other ranged character has an AOE snare.

Feel free to buy some gloop grenades from a cybertech though. 8 seconds at a 70% speed debuff.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What are datacron decorations for? I picked up 3 blue cunning things earlier.

Also, any recommendations on another set of crew skills to pick up? Currently have Biochem, Bioa and slicing and going to grab diplomacy on the next character so will have to more spaces free. I'm half tempted to drop slicing as it's pretty meh at level 6 missions. Hear it gave a nice profit. Maybe it get's better later?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Vriess posted:

I know. It actually made sorcs unique.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The main reason for cutting the duration in half was to reduce the effectiveness of using it with Recklesness. The base damage was reduced by 25% as well.

For PvP it's basically a nerf to noobs so good TK/Lightning players will be just as effective but have to work for their DPS now.

Nah, they'll be slightly reduced in effectiveness. Unless you're suggesting that good players have some kind of "high skill" option that lets them deal the same kind of AoE burst they could with recklessness + force storm. Or that their skill will mean that they're unaffected by the minor decreases to lightning bolt damage or forked whatever trigger percentage.

Vriess posted:

Feel free to buy some gloop grenades from a cybertech though. 8 seconds at a 70% speed debuff.

Once every 3 minutes or something, right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Played game at release, considering coming back cause I actually remember the PvP as being pretty fun.

Now that the game is free to play, do I get any special treatment for once having paid full price for this game? I remember looking stuff up once and all the bits about limited pvp games and limited dungeons sounds really, really loving dumb.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

Played game at release, considering coming back cause I actually remember the PvP as being pretty fun.

Now that the game is free to play, do I get any special treatment for once having paid full price for this game? I remember looking stuff up once and all the bits about limited pvp games and limited dungeons sounds really, really loving dumb.

I believe you'll get preferred status if you were subbed in the past, but you're still going to get some restrictions, including limits on dungeons and PVP.

To quote Medullah from last page:

Medullah posted:

Yes, free to play is crappy even as preferred. Some people can handle it, especially if you're playing as a single player KOTOR 3. But realistically, if you're going to play, subscribe. We have this discussion every 3 pages.

SWTOR is unfortunately very much a :airquote:free:airquote: to play game. The most fun, in my opinion, you can get out of f2p is to treat it as an extremely grindy single player action RPG that's also a chatroom. If you try to get into the actual group content (especially endgame stuff) you're either going to need to cough up the $15/month or deal with some fairly heavy restrictions like PVP passes and a 350k credit cap.

Yes it's annoying but :shrug:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

What are datacron decorations for? I picked up 3 blue cunning things earlier.

Decorating your stronghold, or selling on the GTN. Dark Cunning aren't worth much because everyone gets a million of them on Nar Shaddaa but Light Cunning decorations are rarer and can go for 60-100K.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Emy posted:

Nah, they'll be slightly reduced in effectiveness. Unless you're suggesting that good players have some kind of "high skill" option that lets them deal the same kind of AoE burst they could with recklessness + force storm. Or that their skill will mean that they're unaffected by the minor decreases to lightning bolt damage or forked whatever trigger percentage.

Once every 3 minutes or something, right?

I guess I should have put the world relitively in front of effective. The point is in PvP TK/Lightning will still be the best ranged DPS spec (personal preferences not withstanding) and and a top 3 DPS spec overall. The Sorc's who relied on Storm as a crutch meanwhile are about to get exposed assuming they haven't already gone Corruption or Madness. My Balance Sage I use to clown bad TK's is feasting tonight.

And while Storm no longer has an AoE snare Chain Lightning still does, one that's arguably more effective. Grenades provide a debuff that makes the target immune to grenades from any source for 3 minutes.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It's worth subbing to get a toon or two to max level, but after that it depends on your play style.

Once you've bought all the quality of life unlocks, preferred isn't much different than sub except for operations (raids) requiring you to buy a weekly pass on the GTN which is usually not too expensive. Same deal with pvp--just buy a pass if the free access isn't enough. This does require credits. I like playing the GTN and flipping items, or you can do dailies (nets about 300k/hr). If you don't like having to earn lots of in-game money to buy convenience items then this might be a deal breaker.

I just re-subbed with the recent bundle deal and am finding it hasn't really changed my play experience, although the lack of credit cap is nice. YMMV.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Just did the 2 month sub to give this game a shot, and don't want to be a loner. In game as Monaker.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Been away for awhile. When I first left, Pyrotech Powertech was great. Then I came back and it sucked. Third time's a charm? :ohdear:

Someone tell me the situation with that spec and it's usefuless in raids and PVP.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Pyrotech powertech is a DoT class which are, y'know, advanced and poo poo. I recommend Advanced Prototype, it's burst damage, which ultimately tends to mean less fuss, same damage output.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
My pure Annihilation experience was about "this ain't that great unless I have time to get stacks up". Which, y'know, meant that it was really only bosses where it started to shine.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

How long does it take to get a character to max level in terms of days played? Ballpark.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dantu posted:

How long does it take to get a character to max level in terms of days played? Ballpark.

72-90 hours if you don't dawdle much. My record was 42 hours to 55.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm making the rounds again through mmos. Seems like any given game only keeps my attention for a couple of months.

Amazon's got this bundle, and it looks like an ok deal. It seems like its about $10 more than a 60 day timecard, and comes with two expansions, and some cash2win with.

Is this an okay deal, or am I way off base?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

I'm making the rounds again through mmos. Seems like any given game only keeps my attention for a couple of months.

Amazon's got this bundle, and it looks like an ok deal. It seems like its about $10 more than a 60 day timecard, and comes with two expansions, and some cash2win with.

Is this an okay deal, or am I way off base?

Yeah, that's a great deal if it's still live.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently it does. Worked great!

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 10, 2015

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Started the Shadow of Revan prelude stuff last night and I gotta say that I'm impressed. The solo FPs are a little long maybe, but they're fun and super chill thanks to the super droid, and provide a fuckton of XP. I also kind of like the look of this gear I'm getting from them.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I just started on Makeb with my Juggernaut and man that satellite thing is nice. I had a customized lightsaber and the first green saber I got from the intro quest was miles better, which was kinda sad.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
What's the good way to level a juggernaut? I was planning to take one of the DPS specs, but keep some tank gear for groups or whatever.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
But tank gear with comms, get DPS gear for cheap off the GTN, level as dps and switch to tank spec for fps.

I leveled cuddlybumpkins as a tank and while it did a lot to help me learn tanking it took forever so if you know how to tank an MMO I don't recommend tank leveling.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And if you're going to tank flashpoints, don't just "have tank gear" - switch specs to do it in.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

John Dyne posted:

I just started on Makeb with my Juggernaut and man that satellite thing is nice. I had a customized lightsaber and the first green saber I got from the intro quest was miles better, which was kinda sad.

There's a vendor on Rishi and in the fleet that sells level 172 modifications that you can slot into your orange gear. Costs 10 Basic Comms for Hilts/Barrels/Armor and 4 Basic Comms for mods and enhancements. Should go a long way towards making you more powerful. You also get 297 comms for finishing the prelude, so that should enable you to gear yourself properly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

There's a vendor on Rishi and in the fleet that sells level 172 modifications that you can slot into your orange gear. Costs 10 Basic Comms for Hilts/Barrels/Armor and 4 Basic Comms for mods and enhancements. Should go a long way towards making you more powerful. You also get 297 comms for finishing the prelude, so that should enable you to gear yourself properly.

Don't buy mods with comms until you're 60. Makeb should get you almost all the way to 55, and at that point you do the 4 solo flashpoints for the Shadows of Revan prelude. This will reward you with a full set of 162 gear, which is enough to finish Rishi and Yavin. Finishing that storyline and you'll be in 168 gear. Save as many basic comms as you can, and then when you hit 60 buy the 186 stuff. There's no point in buying the Rishi ones unless for some reason you're REALLY hard up for gear, or you're going to go over 1000.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

Don't buy mods with comms until you're 60. Makeb should get you almost all the way to 55, and at that point you do the 4 solo flashpoints for the Shadows of Revan prelude. This will reward you with a full set of 162 gear, which is enough to finish Rishi and Yavin. Finishing that storyline and you'll be in 168 gear. Save as many basic comms as you can, and then when you hit 60 buy the 186 stuff. There's no point in buying the Rishi ones unless for some reason you're REALLY hard up for gear, or you're going to go over 1000.

Is there a vendor that sells the 186 mods? All I've found is armor vendors and most of the enhancments/mods in the armor aren't optimal for what I'm playing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Oh I'm having no trouble killing poo poo as an immortal jugg on Makeb, but it was just funny that the saber I got as a quest reward for just GOING to Makeb was so much better than my orange one.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedi posted:

Is there a vendor that sells the 186 mods? All I've found is armor vendors and most of the enhancments/mods in the armor aren't optimal for what I'm playing.

I don't think there's a vendor that sells the mods individually. 186 gear is the artifact (purple) level 58 gear now known as "Level 60 Basic Gear". It's sold by vendors on Yavin and Fleet in the Supplies section. Annoyingly you have to be level 60 to buy it even though you only have to be level 58 to equip it. If you need to tweak the mods to improve your stats you'll either need to buy extra pieces and swap the mods around, or get them player crafted.

Don't waste any of this gear on your companions. The Yavin weekly you can do after completing Shadow of Revan awards you a complete set of artifact 192 companion-only gear including full armour, headset and implants. You get a 192 companion-only mainhand from another quick weekly on Yavin, and there's a daily quest you can do on Rishi that awards a 192 companion-only offhand.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

Welcome to endgame, the commendation gear is almost always non-optimal. To get the "Best" endgame gear, you have to raid.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Note that player-crafted 186 mods and enhancements are relatively cheap. The schematics are vendor-taught and the materials are common. It's the 192s that are expensive, because the schematics can only be reverse-engineered from rare items and the materials are rare operations-only drops.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, if anyone needs a 186 main hand on Jedi Covenant just let me know. I'm not really playing but I can log in and make one for you (You can't buy main hands with comms)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
gently caress yes I just downed NM Brontes and I am ecstatic. FINALLY.

No mount for me though :smith:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So as long as I'm staying up to speed on my cybertech I won't have any gear worries at 60? Or at least, able to get 186 rating stuff easy enough?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've played a good bit of this game now, and is it just me or does the soundtrack and atmosphere just not really evoke Star Wars at all? I just feel like playing a Sith should be a lot more seductive and moody and not so much over-the-top moustache twirling. I've hardly heard the Imperial March or even a few bars of the Emperor's Theme, and there aren't really any good leitmotifs to replace them.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
There's the occasional bit of good Star Wars sound, but it's pretty infrequent. So I muted the music and told Pandora to play me Star Wars music instead.

This had the fun side effect of bringing in other easily recognizable film (and game) soundtracks. The ones that were the most pleasant surprises while playing my agent were Bond themes, Mission: Impossible, and Metal Gear Solid.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Emy posted:

There's the occasional bit of good Star Wars sound, but it's pretty infrequent. So I muted the music and told Pandora to play me Star Wars music instead.

This had the fun side effect of bringing in other easily recognizable film (and game) soundtracks. The ones that were the most pleasant surprises while playing my agent were Bond themes, Mission: Impossible, and Metal Gear Solid.

This is an excellent idea! Just chillin' in Coruscant with the Shire music.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I do like it when you get the occasional return of the KotOR music, like in the Endar Spire on Taris.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I dunno, I like the music in this game. I thought they did a pretty good job thematically, and I hear plenty of the more well known star wars tracks in my Jedi Knight quests. I was actually really impressed with how they used lots of the film music in the game.

Alderaan's music was awesome in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Westy543 posted:

So as long as I'm staying up to speed on my cybertech I won't have any gear worries at 60? Or at least, able to get 186 rating stuff easy enough?

At 60 the easiest thing to do is use all your basic comms to for each 186 piece you need. The armorings and mods in each vendor piece are as good as you can make with cyber. Then you go get initiative and adept enhancements for each piece and replace the comm ones. After that you get 2 of the good biochem implants and finally you can use cyber tech to craft better than comm earpieces. Get some 186 barrels or hilts from a crafter and Ruusan crafted relics and you're now bis.

Tl;dr: use basic comms to buy armor, get crafted enhancements, relics, ears, implants, mh

• Locked thread