Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
You gain inventory space by having pockets on or added to your armor, which I can do for the requisite cotton, or gaining specific levels in endurance. I don't think there's another permanent way, but you can also use storage boxes to maintain crated inventory (up to 16 slots per box), and use power words to add up to 100 slots for an hour.

Bananas require 45 foraging, but they also drop from bears and panthers level 30 and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can also get them from the innkeeper in serbule, but they're kind of expensive. It's at a high favor level, but he's easy to favor up because he likes food.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Despite complaining about the low number of players, I'm still enjoying this game. The people I've interacted with are all super chill too, and the world is small enough that I run into people frequently outside of town.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah i've been surprised at how few gamergaters there are in this game. they still exist, but it seems the majority of people are polite and mature

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Most of the people are pretty great, just don't make the mistake of suggesting ways to improve the game. Actually, do make suggestions on how to improve the game and watch certain people just completely lose their poo poo.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I never really played MMOs much (aside from a few short stints in Eve :smith:) but I gave this a shot last night and it's a pretty good time. I took Marna's deer quest and punched a buck to death after I used up all my power for fire magic, so I'm pretty sold on this game. I'm in as TruckstopBarbie and I'm pretty useless but it's fun.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I really enjoy this so far, as someone who doesn't really go back to an MMO after a week, but what should I be doing? I've been foraging oak logs, killing some stuff and dying to other stuff, and hanging out with NPCs when I can. Any must-haves/necessary tasks, or should I continue just doing favors for dudes and bumbling around?

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 5, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Invisible Ted posted:

So I really enjoy this so far, as someone who doesn't really go back to an MMO after a week, but what should I be doing? I've been foraging oak logs, killing some stuff and dying to other stuff, and hanging out with NPCs when I can. Any must-haves/necessary tasks, or should I continue just doing favors for dudes and bumbling around?

E: Also, how do I get crab meat out of crab? I'm guessing I just don't have the recipe or something.

Fainor (the chef) in Serbule will teach you recipes for most of the food, for a price.

I'm just bumbling around, too. Right now it's just fun to see what kind of stuff there is out there and randomly do things because why not? I even tried soloing the Gorgon, got the cow curse, and narrowly avoided it by using a Kill Self power word before the curse timer finished after the respawn. I don't remember if anybody mentioned that already itt, I just tried it at random and it worked. So Kill Self power words are handy things to have.

Building up foraging is good because it lets you harvest seeds and grow them in the garden.

Haven't tried going to Eltibule yet, might give that a go next, but there's still stuff for me to do around Serbule. Does anyone know how to get to the Myconians? I found the exit under the giant mushroom and it says the entrance must be somewhere else. Mushroom Jack wants me to kill some Myconians, assuming they're not just one of his shroom dreams.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Buy the myconic primer from Azalak the mantis outside the most northern home in Serbule, grind it up to ten or fifteen or something harvesting mushrooms in the sewer, then interact with the large mushrooms that spring up around northwestern Serbule.

I'd probably be willing to buy all the mushrooms and dirt you could farm there. Though after hitting 50 tailoring I've found that outside of putting pockets on stuff, tailoring is almost totally useless by comparison of other craftables; which is really, really disappointing for how much time and money I invested to get there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

wtsnaename posted:

Though after hitting 50 tailoring I've found that outside of putting pockets on stuff, tailoring is almost totally useless by comparison of other craftables; which is really, really disappointing for how much time and money I invested to get there.
Whew, bullet dodged!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This game is kind of fun, for reasons I can't really explain.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Something I found out today - if you put the same skill on both bars you get about 150% xp gain to that one skill. Basically if you only use one bar's skill in combat you get 100% towards that, and if you use both bars' skills in combat you get 75% to each. It allows you to stack both 75% on a single combat skill.

Also, while battle chemistry is only pretty good (not OP), the Extra Toes mutation is amazing. Hard to go back to running at half speed after trying it out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Something I found out today - if you put the same skill on both bars you get about 150% xp gain to that one skill. Basically if you only use one bar's skill in combat you get 100% towards that, and if you use both bars' skills in combat you get 75% to each. It allows you to stack both 75% on a single combat skill.

Also, while battle chemistry is only pretty good (not OP), the Extra Toes mutation is amazing. Hard to go back to running at half speed after trying it out.

double psychology bars, here i come! :(

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Make sure to add <GS> to your "I Am:" in the bottom of the Persona window, so that goons can tell who other goons are in the /who all. Not like it matters but it's nice to see a presence.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

mushroom_spore posted:

Yeah, there really is no quest-by-level sorting system in this game so if you try to do every quest as you get it you're going to get flattened. If you're still super low level, probably the safest thing to do is get your skills up by punching pigs/rats/spiders and selling all the drops or using them for favor. You can also go south of Serbule until you find skeletons (watch out for the mantis territory next to that though), or jump into a lake north of town and look for the portal into the sewers which is basically the newbie dungeon after the tutorial. You can try the Crypt further into skeleton territory/connected to the sewers, but it's quite crowded and you're likely to get eaten by 500 spiders.

Things to hang on to: strange dirt (gardening is money), femurs (either for necromancy fuel or more gardening once you get a new recipe from Therese favor). Possibly pork shoulder, but I haven't done the math to see if the new bacon recipe is profitable at all anymore with having to buy salt. Still, it's easy to level with once you have at least Cooking 5.

To make cash and favor much, much easier, take up gardening+cooking and surveying (Joeh sells the book and supplies). Several good NPCs like various types of cooked food, and improving favor with them will give them more money per week to buy stuff from you. Baked Beets at Gardening/Cooking 20 are the best combo of easy to make, profitable to sell, and good returns when given as gifts to NPCs that like them. Surveying gets you gems, which sell very well and have other NPCs that like them. Keep amethysts though, as they're used in teleporting spells.

(Don't buy every cooking recipe, Honey Ham and/or Baked Potato is enough to level with until you get Bacon and/or Hash Browns at 5 and Boiled Cabbage at 10. At 15 there's Cabbage Soup and Sausage, and then at 20 you can make Baked Beets. If you try to buy every recipe you'll end up realizing you burned money on stuff that needs wood chips or butter or something that requires an entire extra skill that's difficult to get/level. :psyduck: )

One helpful trick is to give the banker cooked food until he likes you enough to start hanging out. His hang out rewards are cash, or at least the 4 and 8 hour ones are (there's also a 60 minute one, but you can't repeat it and I don't remember what it does). You can get 100 money/hour from this dude, though you'll have to log back in if you want to start a new block of hang out time. It's not a lot and you'd get more actually playing, but it helps to buy bank slots and poo poo as a newbie if you just hop on a few times a day to click the hang out button. If you log back in during a hang out, it just pauses the timer until you log off again. Once you can do the 4 hour one you can stop giving him food and just hang out with him over and over to build favor.

EDIT: Die a lot, btw. Dying is good, and dying in new and creative ways is even better. The Dying skill is good, and should be leveled. :)

Good Newb info thanks.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Got sidetracked from my metal-hunting by RL and also the need to level up Scuttle enough to gather around Eltibule without getting stomped. Then, when I log on the other night, I find someone dumping probably a hundred surveys around the Serbule well. :aaaaa: It's taken me hours total to run most of them, but so worth it.

Now that I have a giant stack of moonstones and can use the illusion, spider has gotten even better. I was able to make the rounds of Marna and the fire mage guy on just one use of it, turning in quests and whatnot. Only annoying thing is the illusion seems to be buggy; when the countdown was up I tried to use it again, but it didn't use a moonstone or do anything besides putting the ability back on (an incredibly long) cooldown. :argh: So keep an eye out for that until it gets fixed, if anyone else is playing spider.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
That person tossing surveys is likely Vzi. He/She is an incredibly veteran player, by the way, and worth speaking to.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"yeah, expect several patches in the next few days" :horse:

hehehe

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I only read the first page.

Does this game still have all that weird/cool poo poo in it?

If so it sounds awesome and I'm going to download it tonight.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

hakimashou posted:

Does this game still have all that weird/cool poo poo in it?

Yeah, I just started and it's pretty much the same as described in the OP. I've been leveling up my cooking, gardening, psychology, and sword skills. Killed a giant bug and gave part of its brain to a dude to make him like me. Got complimented on my tight little rear end by some NPC elf nympho.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Some of the more obscure poo poo:

Level up in surviving food poisoning!

Die to scary monsters!

Study skulls of elves/fairies/goblins to figure out why they are so hosed up!

Kill stuff until you are dead inside!

Treasure cartography is actually pretty interesting!
http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Treasure_Cartography

Become a wandering Psychologist and mez monsters by making them analyze their own baggage!

Interesting characters with quality dialogue!

Die so much you go insane!

Yes, you can fly without druid. Level up lore and use them words of power.

Someone just starting out can use this, because I don't need it.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
This game is so cool. Also I registered for the wiki and filled out that treasure cart stuff in return for some dude spelling out the details for me/others in chat. Do that.. ask about complex poo poo that's missing and put it on the wiki. Saves lives.

Your login is your game login, it's integrated.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

The best part of this game is being able to name groups.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've been playing a couple days now, game is great.

Wanted to be a wizard and got discouraged because I couldn't find fire dust or whatever, but looked on the wiki and saw I had to kill the fire spiders, which wasn't too hard, so I got that sorted.

Today I leveled up battle chemistry a bunch so I could get the go fast thing, which is super worth it, and found out that you also get a golem and you can program it to do stuff with if-then statements, so that's pretty cool. I use that and sword and it's nice, I got a sword that does bonus damage to spiders. Unfortunately it wasn't until I had leveled battle chemistry to lv 9 under the impression that it could only be used with your main hand that I discovered there were offhand items for it.

Also I started getting into surveying, good money in that. I just unlocked the fourth tier of it, and was kind of disappointed that the gemstones you find doing them are still only worth 100 each, while you have to pay 75 just for the paper to make the map. I figure they must be used in some kind of crafting later though so it's no biggie, can still make money on the lower tier ones.

Anyway it's a delightful little game!

My name on there is pisschrist, I went by menachem on ArcheAbortion.

Oh ya I have also been leveling up my fishing.

Really though, when you level up fishing it gives you a special attack for the special bar called "fish guts" where you throw fish guts at the enemy.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Thread title should be changed to "this game is actually really good"

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
New patch out righ tnow! Lots of stuff added, like the deathtrap dungeon expansion. And 400 craftables or something. And music is now mandatory:

Did the harder part of the goblin dungeon today, which was pretty interesting. Had to clear out tons of locks to get the boss and chest to spawn. The left side was pretty easy, but the right side was a pain in the rear end because of the explosive sigils and watchers. And slimes chasing from rooms across so we could never leave combat.

THEN we got to ciervos the crazy deer. His rage attack turns everyone around him into a deer. 6/7 of us had never really been in deer form before, so we kinda died when we started hitting for 8 damage and being unable to use any of our skills. Also watchers and explosive runes.

40k gold in undeer juice and 30 mins later, we got him:

Loot was hit or miss. Most everyone got dwarven lvl 35 gear from the chest, but some guy got some potion to remove ALL debuffs worth 10k (or 100k? Can't remember.)

Anyway, despite the poo poo loot and length it took, it was a loving blast, because none of it was scripted like 99% of MMO's out today. Most of our near-wipes were avoided by spur of the moment knockbacks or target swaps, and I actually felt like I achieved something at the end, instead of going "ok what's next dungeon i'm supposed to do".

lewtt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 13, 2015

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Got some clarification just now on how Vulnerability works for those who don't understand it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

lewtt posted:

New patch out righ tnow! Lots of stuff added, like the deathtrap dungeon expansion. And 400 craftables or something. And music is now mandatory:

Everyone stop to read all the music patch notes. This game! :allears:

e: Wait, there's a "bourgeois dungeon"? Please tell me I get to murder capitalist orcs or something.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 13, 2015

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
I hope you fellas like the music ingame because IT WILL NEVER STOP. Playing music while farming gives a chance of doubling your harvest. If you're not farming, playing for a while with others simply gives you a nice xp and regen buff. After about 15 mins of our wicked sick medieval garage band, we had a 11% xp bonus (combat and crafting) with a 6 hour duration. And I had like 120 out of combat armor regen as well.

Also the elves all do a badly mocapped Alizee dance (You probably saw it as night elves in WoW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLKNuhDmfvQ

lewtt fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 13, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you can serenade your vegetables

goty EVERY YEAR holy poo poo

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Seriously, I skipped over reading this thread for months because "a surprisingly playable pve sandbox" sound like boring poo poo.

Thread really needs a new title, and there a a zillion lines from the game/thread that would work.

Or "this game is so good!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A hotfix is out.

"- equipment that boosted damage from Fire Arrow accidentally lit you, the archer, on fire"

I think the title should be Project Gorgon: +30 Damage to Snails

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Or Project Gorgon: You have lost favor with Suspicious Cow

CourteousDecapod
Aug 10, 2013
I just botched an autopsy on a pig i just killed.
Apparently the killer is still unknown.

I'm Heregeard if you want to add me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CourteousDecapod posted:

Well logically you know you did it but you didn't discover it from the autopsy. You also mangled the thing so badly not even you can remember if you stabbed it sliced it or lit it on fire.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CourteousDecapod posted:

look at these newbies making a mess of pig corpses :rolleye:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

look at these newbies making a mess of pig corpses :rolleye:

Kill pig, autopsy pig, butcher pig, bury pig, level up Compassion.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
If I was killing a really high level pig, the only thing in that chain of clicks I'd get xp for is butchering, and only for a little while longer.

well woops, I guess non-ruminant anatomy too. nevermind :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Kill pig, autopsy pig, butcher pig, bury pig, level up Compassion.

the land of the ancient serbulites is littered with ritual graves containing mutilated farm animals. leading archaeologists are still not certain what these mean, but they may have had something to do with the worship of the fertility god Jack, who is usually depicted with mushrooms in place of his genitals