Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The comedy (or is it???) option is clearly Twilight Struggle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Maybe also Sherlock Holmes consulting detective. You two can puzzle it out together and try to solve the crimes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

The comedy (or is it???) option is clearly Twilight Struggle though.

Labyrinth, if you want to treat your son like an interesting social experiment rather than your son hehe

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Earth Reborn :getin:

I actually originally said this but it's pretty heavy for an 11 year old. He will love the theme though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Toshimo posted:

This sounds like you were missing some rules.

What rules would those potentially be?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thank you for all the suggestions! Claustrophobia definitely sounds interesting.

I just edited this into my request post on the last page, but the horror theme is something we're very much interested in. My son is way into "scary" things right now. Like I'm also on a hunt to find horror movies that would fit into a PG-13 rating, as he's outgrown things like "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and "Goosebumps".

So some good ol' cosmic lovecraftian horror is right up his alley.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Roll back a bit to ASHES chat:

Why is their "basic symbol" ripped off from Harry Potter?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What rules would those potentially be?

Well, if you were only rolling 1-2 health die per turn, you had to be rolling some claws, and the dude in Tokyo should have been taking advantage of that to put you in the box so you couldn't heal and he could finish you off. The game is pretty much designed to funnel quickly to an end once there are 2 people left.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Thank you for all the suggestions! Claustrophobia definitely sounds interesting.

I just edited this into my request post on the last page, but the horror theme is something we're very much interested in. My son is way into "scary" things right now. Like I'm also on a hunt to find horror movies that would fit into a PG-13 rating, as he's outgrown things like "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and "Goosebumps".

What you are after then is Betrayal at House on the Hill. Each game you explore a randomized haunted House, until there is an "haunt" that makes one of the players a traitor and sets them against the others. Each Haunt is different and they all try an emulate classic horror movies, like vampire attacks/aliens/ghosts/the devil/whatever:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-house-hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MINNKyE4fjs

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rutibex posted:

What you are after then is Betrayal at House on the Hill. Each game you explore a randomized haunted House, until there is an "haunt" that makes on of the players a traitor and sets them against the others. Each Haunt is different and they all try an emulate classic horror movies, like vampire attacks/aliens/ghosts/the devil/whatever:

If it worked for 2 players I'd own it already. Sadly, it's 3-6.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

What you are after then is Betrayal at House on the Hill. Each game you explore a randomized haunted House, until there is an "haunt" that makes on of the players a traitor and sets them against the others. Each Haunt is different and they all try an emulate classic horror movies, like vampire attacks/aliens/ghosts/the devil/whatever:

Except when the game emulates movies that end due to projector malfunction after the first 20 minutes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What about Elder Sign? It's still Lovecraftian horror but it's not so much "stuff" like Arkham or Eldritch Horror.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FISHMANPET posted:

What about Elder Sign? It's still Lovecraftian horror but it's not so much "stuff" like Arkham or Eldritch Horror.

It's Yahtzee, or pretty close to it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't disagree, but he's looking more for theme and experience generators than pure mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

If it worked for 2 players I'd own it already. Sadly, it's 3-6.

Just play two characters each :shrug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rutibex posted:

Just play two characters each :shrug:

How would that work with the betrayer mechanic? Would the extra player be given to the other guy?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

How would that work with the betrayer mechanic? Would the extra player be given to the other guy?

Yeah, so the traitor ends up with one guy and the not-traitor has a team of three. You can't dump your guys because you wouldn't know which team you would be on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't disagree, but he's looking more for theme and experience generators than pure mechanics.

Really? Elder sign isn't a good experience generator, it's just rolling buckets of dice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
v:shobon:v

I've enjoyed Elder sign the few times I've played more than I enjoyed whichver Horror game I played. Something for him to look at to see if it's something that could work for him, since nobody else mentioned it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

FISHMANPET posted:

v:shobon:v

I've enjoyed Elder sign the few times I've played more than I enjoyed whichver Horror game I played. Something for him to look at to see if it's something that could work for him, since nobody else mentioned it.

Yeah, I don't think either of the Horror games is a good fit for an eleven-year-old either.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rutibex posted:

What you are after then is Betrayal at House on the Hill. Each game you explore a randomized haunted House, until there is an "haunt" that makes one of the players a traitor and sets them against the others. Each Haunt is different and they all try an emulate classic horror movies, like vampire attacks/aliens/ghosts/the devil/whatever:

ignore this man and don't play Betrayal it is loving awful and easily my least favourite board game ever

Toshimo posted:

Well, if you were only rolling 1-2 health die per turn, you had to be rolling some claws, and the dude in Tokyo should have been taking advantage of that to put you in the box so you couldn't heal and he could finish you off. The game is pretty much designed to funnel quickly to an end once there are 2 people left.

We weren't missing this rule people just either elected not to or I rolled a couple of hearts and a shitload of useless number die. Even if they had it put me in and just killed me still would've been "Death by inability to roll properly". Game is still kind of a lovely luck based dice rolling fest but I'm not sure what I was expecting going into it, wasn't my game choice for the record.

EDIT: You know since I've been ragging on a shitload of things, I also played Cash n Guns today and that game is great and everyone wanted a second round after the first had concluded.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

rchandra posted:

I've made the mistake of assuming cards in King of Tokyo mean what they say and that different wordings must have different meanings, because of Richard Garfield's Magic background. In particular, "each turn" might mean "each of your turns" or "each player's turn".

I was part of the original rules discussion for MtG and Dr. Garfield was not part of that. I don't know why, but he wasn't.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

I was part of the original rules discussion for MtG and Dr. Garfield was not part of that. I don't know why, but he wasn't.

:allears: Tell me more about that!

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lorini posted:

I'd also love to hear more.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My 83 year old dad is here which is why you haven't heard much from me. I will tell you about Magics beginnings this weekend along with how it went trying to play Las Vegas with my Phd dad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lorini posted:

along with how it went trying to play Las Vegas with my Phd dad.

Is it bad I'm more interested in this than Magic history?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Betrayal absolutely is a turd game but I enjoyed it when I didn't know better, and I could definitely see an 11-year old on a horror kick enjoying it. :shrug: I'd still probably pick Legendary Encounters over it, but it does have a lot of gore on the art for an 11-year old to be playing it.

e: If dungeon crawling is close enough to horror (I mean, there's skeletons and stuff, I guess? Yeah I know it's a stretch) maybe look into Catacombs or Legends of Drizzt

e2: Fearsome Floors is probably too goosebumpsy?

Scyther fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 11, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Is it bad I'm more interested in this than Magic history?

:ssh: It's the same, his dad is Richard Garfield

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm afraid this might not be Rubitex's final form.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

:ssh: It's the same, his dad is Richard Garfield

(a) holy poo poo when did that avatar happen
(b) her
(c) i don't think richard garfield is black

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Was going to get this: Characteristics of Games by Dr. Garfield and another not Garfield person

But if someone here has read it and thinks it's awful or recommends something better for analyzing game dynamics, hit meh

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The book is great, but doesn't expand too far past material you can find in various of his talks/podcasts online.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Guy A. Person posted:

The last time I played Galaxy Trucker our AP guy was first in line for rounds 2 and 3, so made all decisions for those rounds. You wouldn't think it would take long to decide if you want to lose 2 flight days to get some cargo from an abandoned space station when you are already 6 days ahead, but welp.

What the gently caress. Do you have room for cargo? Then load the cargo. This is how you make profit. This is why being in first is good - that and shooting stuff.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ojetor posted:

How can a single Caverna game take six hours? :psyduck:

I played 6-player Caverna once and it took slightly under three hours. That was with a couple of notoriously slow players, too.

It was probably more than 6 hours, but most of us were playing it for the first time. There was one player who would literally take like 20 minutes during every one of his turns. The worst part is the game was effectively over and down to 2 people (6 player game) and we still had to play for 2 more hours. Basically, I hated everything about it, but I realize the experience was tainted by incredibly slow players, a poor teacher, and a runaway victory by the 2 'experienced' players who knew what all the special rooms did before everyone else.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Caverna is one of a new bunch of games basically designed to trigger severe AP, like Five Tribes. It's probably the biggest flaw in Tash Kalar as well.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

sicarius posted:

Honestly, I'd like a game that rips off Magic's cube system to come out. I love cube drafting (it's my only Magic exposure anymore) and someone could easily rip that off to make a drafting/battling game.

Oh my god, this. Are there any games that even come close to this? I guess Dominion-style deck builders and 7 Wonders both sort of do this, but somehow the dynamic feels pretty different when you're drafting your deck mid-play, using resources you gained mid-play.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Was going to get this: Characteristics of Games by Dr. Garfield and another not Garfield person

But if someone here has read it and thinks it's awful or recommends something better for analyzing game dynamics, hit meh

It and Rules of Play are both super solid foundations for this stuff. Kobold Guide to Board Game Design is also pretty good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bubble-T posted:

Caverna is one of a new bunch of games basically designed to trigger severe AP, like Five Tribes. It's probably the biggest flaw in Tash Kalar as well.

Except at least tk is usually taught 2 player so you're not wasting more than the teacher's time. Plus, an hour, rather than six.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OtspIII posted:

Oh my god, this. Are there any games that even come close to this? I guess Dominion-style deck builders and 7 Wonders both sort of do this, but somehow the dynamic feels pretty different when you're drafting your deck mid-play, using resources you gained mid-play.

The designers behind Star Realms are releasing something that's basically that, but... they're the designers behind star realms so :shrug:

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I'm about to buy San Juan (2nd ed.) It seems to be universally praised despite its age, could I get some goon opinions on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

snuff posted:

I'm about to buy San Juan (2nd ed.) It seems to be universally praised despite its age, could I get some goon opinions on it?
A guy who is really good at many games weighs in: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/33671#33671