Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

rio posted:

How do you get a guitarist to stop playing?

Put music in front of him.

Heh. I took piano lessons as a kid so I could play it.

Eventually.

After I note-by-note tabbed it out in notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
if I am not throwing my back out trying I load my rig into the venue then I am not optimizing my tonez

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I really really want a Kemper but $$$$. I'm pretty happy with using vst plugins.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Seriously the 11rack works pretty drat well for my needs. The effects loop can fill in with whatever you're lacking in pedal form. Even just into studio headphones (SRH440 for reference in my case) it sounds fan-loving-tastic. I use it for all my practice needs. Best $300 I ever spent.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My 330 came in. Digging it. Especially after putting on some fresh strings. Even my wife noticed how dead the others were compared to the new set.

Though I was playing a Gretsch Country Gent for a good bit before buying the 330.... and I think I maybe should have gone with the Gent.

We'll see. I got a good deal on it so I can always flip it.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Sockington posted:

Seriously the 11rack works pretty drat well for my needs. The effects loop can fill in with whatever you're lacking in pedal form. Even just into studio headphones (SRH440 for reference in my case) it sounds fan-loving-tastic. I use it for all my practice needs. Best $300 I ever spent.

It's interesting reading all of these pro-modeling posts, given my recent experience. I've been using a Zoom G5 for pedal modeling, sending it into my Blues Deluxe reissue (which I love).

Lately, I haven't been able to play electric guitar til after 10pm, so I started using the headphone out on the Zoom, using it's amp modeling, but I find it really uninspiring.

It's not that it sounds terrible, though I'm willing to concede that the Zoom might be pretty crappy for amp modeling. It's more just the lack of a physical soundsource makes a huge difference to me. It could be that I've spent my whole life playing acoustic instruments, but sound in space is a pretty huge factor to me. I just friggin love hearing my Blues Deluxe make some loud, sparkly sounds.

I'd be interested in trying a really great modeling amp through a decent cab/speaker. My buddy's AxeFX sounds amazing when I see him perform on it, but I've never played with it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

I don't know at what point I hit it but one day I realized I knew what every note on the fretboard was and it was cool

I know all the notes as well. Up to the third fret. On the bottom two strings.

Ive been playing guitar for 25 years!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've been trying (not very hard) to learn more of the notes, I've gotten so far as to learning which notes are sharps, at least for E,A,D strings, not that that's particularly useful.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The E A and D strings are the easiest to learn all of your notes up through fret 12 if you have the standard amount of dots (3,5,7,9, double dot at 12 then it all repeats). You just need to already know the open strings and one note past. So for example:

Open E
F is fret 1 ( assuming that this is something everyone should know)
G is on the first dot (3)
A is on the second dot (5
B is on the third dot (7)
C is up one fret past that dot (8)
D is up fret past the next dot (10)
E is the beginning of the next octave at the two dots (fret 12) and the pattern starts again with all of those notes where they were the first time around.

This is the same on string A and string D

Open A
B is fret 2
All notes alphabetically up starting on the first dot, fret 3, as they occurred on string 6 (dot 1 C, dot 2 D, etc.)

Open D
Same thing as A string but starting on D, fret 2 E (you already know this one) dot 1 F dot 2 G etc.

The first 3 dots on each string are the natural notes except for fret 8 and fret 10, then the two dots is the same as the open string.

This is a lot easier to show in person at a lesson - I don't know if that adequately explains it. This way you are not counting frets, you are immediately seeing where the notes go based on the immediately identifiable fret markers (dots).

The goal (at least how I teach) is to have all of your natural notes immediately identifiable. That way you simply go up or down a fret to add an accidental. The analogy here is to look at the piano - everyone can see natural notes (white keys) and accidentals (black keys) immediately laid out before them. Fretless instruments actually have it easier than us - the guitar is one of the hardest instruments to learn to read on (using the entire neck) because of how everything is ordered chromatically and the natural notes are so hard to see. So you have to really drill them, and put those fret markers to work.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I signed up for that GuitarOS thing last night, and did my first "lesson" this am, and I learned more in 15 minutes than I did in the last many, many years. Now to see if I retain any of it...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The easiest way to learn every natural note on the guitar is to learn c major across the neck. Congratulations you've unlocked the first secret of western music theory.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

The easiest way to learn every natural note on the guitar is to learn c major across the neck. Congratulations you've unlocked the first secret of western music theory.

It doesn't help with finding notes instantly because you are then finding notes relative to a scale fingering. There are also a minimum of 5 major scale fingerings to learn between open position and fret 12.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rio posted:

There are also a minimum of 5 major scale fingerings to learn between open position and fret 12.

I know, learn them all. You should know them anyway as once you get all five patterns down you know every other western scale, you just have to move them up/down the neck. It's incredibly powerful.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I finally got around to putting that trem on my GFS guitar. Any tips on filling the posts from the old stoptail, or should I even worry about it?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ what's up gfs semi hollow lp buddy :D

Lumpy posted:

So I signed up for that GuitarOS thing last night, and did my first "lesson" this am, and I learned more in 15 minutes than I did in the last many, many years. Now to see if I retain any of it...

Damnit, I signed up for it yesterday too, confirmed my email, and didn't get sent anything from them yet :confused:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

nrr posted:

^ ^ ^ what's up gfs semi hollow lp buddy :D

Damnit, I signed up for it yesterday too, confirmed my email, and didn't get sent anything from them yet :confused:

Gmail keeps putting mine in the "promotions" tab, if that helps.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Gmail keeps putting mine in the "promotions" tab, if that helps.

I'm on Hotmail, so there's only my inbox and junk folder that stuff gets put in. Confirmation email was sent to my junk folder, but I haven't got anything in either yet. :(

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

pointlessone posted:

I finally got around to putting that trem on my GFS guitar. Any tips on filling the posts from the old stoptail, or should I even worry about it?

You don't by any chance know how much that weighs do you? I am considering LPs below the 8 lb range, assuming something like that even exists. I am also undecided on a P90 or bucker version. However, I would probably just go humbucker because you can always find a decent p90 in a humbucker housing, where as the reverse is more difficult.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gripen5 posted:

You don't by any chance know how much that weighs do you? I am considering LPs below the 8 lb range, assuming something like that even exists. I am also undecided on a P90 or bucker version. However, I would probably just go humbucker because you can always find a decent p90 in a humbucker housing, where as the reverse is more difficult.

It's about 7-ish pounds, it's just a touch lighter than my Tele. The semi-hollow body really makes a difference on the weight, a buddy of mine has an actual Gibson solid body from the 80s and that thing weighs about 4 million pounds. No idea how he can stand playing the thing for long periods, it makes my shoulder ache after about a half hour.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I know, learn them all. You should know them anyway as once you get all five patterns down you know every other western scale, you just have to move them up/down the neck. It's incredibly powerful.

There's also 5 harmonic minor shapes and 5 (real) melodic minor shapes. Not to mention learning the modes within the scale shapes. Let's add that up - 15 scale shapes, 7 more modes for each, in 12 keys is 267 fingerings (5x3 major, harmonic and melodic minor, +(7x3) which is all modes in each scale x 12 keys). There's is really no way to focus on fundamentals like note recognition and sight reading when learning your notes through scale fingerings; I'm sure there are people to prove me wrong, but I've never met a good sight-reader who learned their scale shapes before learning - in practice, not in theory meaning immediate recognition not "let me figure that out in a few seconds" - where the natural notes are. Literally all it takes to learn the natural notes is knowing the open strings, the major scale formula and using fret markers. It is so much simpler and faster that way.

It is also a bad idea to to just learn "C major fingerings". Remember that 267 fingerings number? It reduces down to 15 fingerings if you can transpose fluently, and that requires us to see five scale *shapes*, not 5 C major fingerings. All of the white keys on the piano is not C major, it is all of the natural notes. Start on A, you are in A minor. Start on D and you are playing D Dorian etc. The piano keyboard contains 8 different modes (major scale and natural minor included of course) within those white keys, and learning "I always start on C and end on C because I am thinking this is a C major scale" completely slows the process of learning to reduce the number of fingers through both a strong knowledge of the 5 diatonic shapes and a fast recognition of any note on the fretboard. shapes is essential, I agree with that.

Then, if you are really going to town, deal with the modes of melodic minor and harmonic minor after learning 5 shapes each and finish everything used in Western diatonic music.

All of that goes on for [i]years[/] for most people. I'm not going to lie - I have a strong command of the modes of the major scale the two diminished scales and whole tone scale, but now I'm working on the modes of the real melodic minor. I know them, but transferring effortlessly between them is going to take time, who knows how long. Not to mention modes of harmonic minor - I don't even know if I will do all of those. The only way to approach this stuff and know what you are doing is to know all the notes on the fretboard already. I would still be back doing my five shapes if I was trying to learn my notes from the fingerings.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 10, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rio posted:

There's also 5 harmonic minor shapes and 5 (real) melodic minor shapes. Not to mention learning the modes within the scale shapes. Let's add that up - 15 scale shapes, 7 more modes for each, in 12 keys is 267 fingerings (5x3 major, harmonic and melodic minor, +(7x3) which is all modes in each scale x 12 keys). There's is really no way to focus on fundamentals like note recognition and sight reading when learning your notes through scale fingerings; I'm sure there are people to prove me wrong, but I've never met a good sight-reader who learned their scale shapes before learning - in practice, not in theory meaning immediate recognition not "let me figure that out in a few seconds" - where the natural notes are. Literally all it takes to learn the natural notes is knowing the open strings, the major scale formula and using fret markers. It is so much simpler and faster that way.

It is also a bad idea to to just learn "C major fingerings". Remember that 267 fingerings number? It reduces down to 15 fingerings if you can transpose fluently, and that requires us to see five scale *shapes*, not 5 C major fingerings. All of the white keys on the piano is not C major, it is all of the natural notes. Start on A, you are in A minor. Start on D and you are playing D Dorian etc. The piano keyboard contains 8 different modes (major scale and natural minor included of course) within those white keys, and learning "I always start on C and end on C because I am thinking this is a C major scale" completely slows the process of learning to reduce the number of fingers through both a strong knowledge of the 5 diatonic shapes and a fast recognition of any note on the fretboard. shapes is essential, I agree with that.

Then, if you are really going to town, deal with the modes of melodic minor and harmonic minor after learning 5 shapes each and finish everything used in Western diatonic music.

All of that goes on for [i]years[/] for most people. I'm not going to lie - I have a strong command of the modes of the major scale the two diminished scales and whole tone scale, but now I'm working on the modes of the real melodic minor. I know them, but transferring effortlessly between them is going to take time, who knows how long. Not to mention modes of harmonic minor - I don't even know if I will do all of those. The only way to approach this stuff and know what you are doing is to know all the notes on the fretboard already. I would still be back doing my five shapes if I was trying to learn my notes from the fingerings.

I didn't want to go into the incredible detail of modular theory but we're both making the same point. My specific point was that the C major scale is every natural note (which is what people wanted to know on the guitar), and you can figure out the 96 similar scales* by transposing and starting on a different note. People learn and memorize things in different ways, it's just human nature. You might have an issue with the nomenclature I use because hey I learned this all from applying a single lesson almost a decade ago. I was pushing a "common core" type thinking where instead of memorizing 12x18 you do 2x8x10x10, but with scales where you go "G# melodic minor? ok" G# and melodic minor's base pattern comes in and then repeats itself across the neck in your head where you need it to be. To me it's kinda like when I switch from spanish to english or vice versa, it's the same mental shift to go out of my comfort zone. Instead of memorizing phrygian as the fifth mode of aeolian, I learned it as the same pattern as minor but with a single note change. It was the easiest way to grasp it, then I applied that logic to the rest of the scales I gave a poo poo about - which are the other scales with a minor 3rd and 6th - to figure those out quickly. To me it's the difference between applying critical thinking and learning poo poo like a parrot where you just store them in a vault in your and vomit them up when needed. I don't learn that way and I don't think that way and to say my specific way is correct is stupid, they're all correct. Everyone learns differently.

*I always forget about harmonic and melodic minor. Though even knowing of the existence of melodic minor you know a thousand times more than every guitar player I've ever met.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Had to try it myself, I'm still really new so this was the first time I ever improvised something with a backing track, and doing it while learning the notes even on just one string was great. It sounds great when you know where the notes are.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I just put some DR Neon strings on my SG. I like 'em.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

rio posted:

How do you get a guitarist to stop playing?

Put music in front of him.

That's an old one.

Me? I'm partial to, "How do you get two lead guitarists to play in tune with each other? / Shoot one."

Or, "How many guitarists does it take to change an LED light? / Eleven: one to actually change it, and 10 to reminisce about how good 'the old tubes' were."

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Just ran sound for Stefan Grossman tonight. He's a monster pre-war styles player. Originally taught by Rev. Gary Davis, played with Son House and Mississipi John Hurt, more recently with Keb Mo', Bert Jansch, John Reborn and pretty much every other fingerstyle blues and roots guitarist you've ever heard of. Nice guy, pretty funny with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMICKJQMldA

Did sound for Martin Carthy at the same venue last month so it's turning out to be a good year for guitar legends.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Or, "How many guitarists does it take to change an LED light? / Eleven: one to actually change it, and 10 to reminisce about how good 'the old tubes' were."

:monocle:

How often are you changing LEDs? I've heard after 20hrs burn in it's best to swap them. Fenders with the gigantic loving jewel may need replacement more often. Gotta maintain that Fender sparkle.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

pointlessone posted:

Theres these little button things you can put in them. Dunno what they're called or where to get them but I've seen folks go that route.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
one of my cats won't stop licking the wah i bought from iostream a few months back

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

pointlessone posted:

It's about 7-ish pounds, it's just a touch lighter than my Tele. The semi-hollow body really makes a difference on the weight, a buddy of mine has an actual Gibson solid body from the 80s and that thing weighs about 4 million pounds. No idea how he can stand playing the thing for long periods, it makes my shoulder ache after about a half hour.

Nice. I will have to consider it. I take it the 7ish lbs is before the bigsby. I'm sure that added anther bit of weight.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Is there an easy way to replace a floyd rose locking nut with a normal one?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Sure, replace the neck.

e: Allparts makes a conversion nut called ebonal or something like that, but it's the same size as the floyd nut base.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 11, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

sensy v2.0 posted:

Is there an easy way to replace a floyd rose locking nut with a normal one?

I'm curious as to why you'd ever want to do this. Floyd Rose trems kind-of need a lock at the other end, don't they? Are you getting locking tuners?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I'm curious as to why you'd ever want to do this. Floyd Rose trems kind-of need a lock at the other end, don't they? Are you getting locking tuners?

I guess if you were trying to de-Floyd a guitar because you decided you hated the locking trem but love the rest of the guitar? You'll probably have other issues involving the routing for the Floyd being weird for putting anything else on but you could get around that somehow I'm sure.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I guess if you were trying to de-Floyd a guitar because you decided you hated the locking trem but love the rest of the guitar? You'll probably have other issues involving the routing for the Floyd being weird for putting anything else on but you could get around that somehow I'm sure.

Could you just block the trem so it doesn't move?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

Could you just block the trem so it doesn't move?

Oh yeah that works plenty, fine my strat has a G&L floating trem system that has been disabled but still technically there for years. I like the rest of the guitar plenty but tuning was a huge bother for a feature I didn't make use of :v:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Can't you just take the bolts out and leave it like that?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
q: considering I have a G&L ASAT Bluesboy with a Novak WRHB in the neck, is it stupid to get a G&L ASAT Bluesboy with a P90 in the neck? something just appeared on craigslist and I'm trying to convince myself it's a bad idea...

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I just put on locking tuners cause I'm lazy and it makes changing strings so much easier. Then I hosed around for a couple of hours without putting the locks on the nut and I noticed it's pretty much just as stable without the locks. I'll try the allparts replacement nut and see if it does what I want.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Daily reminder: adjust your pickups. I sat down the other day to really give a nice setup to my guitar, and it played beautifully. My one mistake was to just adjust the pickups to some arbitrary height that I read about on the internet. Spending five minutes with the guitar plugged in and plucking strings then adjusting the pickups until I liked the way they sounded was the biggest improvement by far. Sounds amazing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TopherCStone posted:

Daily reminder: adjust your pickups. I sat down the other day to really give a nice setup to my guitar, and it played beautifully. My one mistake was to just adjust the pickups to some arbitrary height that I read about on the internet. Spending five minutes with the guitar plugged in and plucking strings then adjusting the pickups until I liked the way they sounded was the biggest improvement by far. Sounds amazing now.

How do you do this