Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
With the preview, does it not identify itself as Windows 10? Mine says "Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2"

Just want to make sure it actually updated.

e: Wait, so now there's another update happening, maybe that's the real one.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
So far there are a lot of little changes that I like. My battery is terrible, but that's to be expected. The keyboard nubbin is cool, but doesn't work half the time. Shape writing now shows what word you've currently got typed. Outlook apps are the tits. Guys, I like Windows Phone again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I wish I could teach Cortana custom pronunciations of names. Also the ability to say "read the last text message from ____" would be nice as well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hmm. I appear to have lost network entirely on WP10. A bit too far to go even prepared for a lot of bugs ;)

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013
Overall the update went ok on my 925. Outlook Mail looks really nice, although I wish I could display multiple inboxes together. I like the new Messaging and People apps. Spartan is surprisingly broken for me with slow page loading, pictures not loading, and Spartan search not working properly. Additionally, I sort of hate the new placement of the address bar at the top of screen - having everything at the bottom of the screen just felt more natural to me.

Still, I can see where WP10 is going and I like it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I pretty much updated to get the new email app. It works pretty good, but I had some random gibberish email account that I've never seen before added along with my normal account and I can not seem to delete it.

The new calendar is super buggy. Doesn't read favorite locations (just puts 'work' instead of my work location).

Finally, I don't have any transparency options for my start screen, and it lost the ability to choose photos from non-phone sources like OneDrive.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I can finally deploy Windows 10 apps to the phone.

Right now it's still just me screwing around with the UI, trying to figure out how I want things placed and such, and fixing issues when going from the desktop to phone. Things like the back button for example. I'm thinking I'll just hide it when the view gets too small, or just make it and the thread title text smaller, but I don't know yet. Also I can't use Sqlite yet, so I have no database support at all. Once I get that for W10 though, I can just pop it in and it should also just work. Still, it's cool I can at least try it now.

I've also changed how thread posts are presented by using Bootstrap and WinJS-Bootstrap theme, so it should just work correctly from desktops down to phones.

Ninja edit: I also need to note that hamburger menu on the left. The "Split View" is an official control now in Windows 10. But those icons and text for the menu? Yeah, I came up with that myself.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have to say, as an adroid user (Awful and Something apps), that it looks amazing. After reading the bug reports on the last Win 10 build, I'll hold up a bit with my 925 until I can use it as daily driver but from what I see, I love how is it looking.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I didn't make it 24 hours with the 10 preview on my 1520.

Lots of little things, like not being able to make individual email accounts live tiles, bad navigation in the Outlook app, lots of "resuming..." screens, even when simply going to the home screen, couldn't send MMS texts (couldn't even email a photo from the photo app), and the final straw was that I couldn't use Google in the browser - it just wouldn't let me type in the search box. There were lots of other things. Many of the UI elements have been pushed to the top of the screen, which is pretty annoying in a phablet.

I'm not complaining, since i know it's pre-beta, but it just was too unfinished for me, even with my non-advanced use patterns, and the new features weren't enough for me to deal with it. I went into it knowing I could roll back to 8.1, so that's what I did.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Drastic Actions posted:

I can finally deploy Windows 10 apps to the phone.

Right now it's still just me screwing around with the UI, trying to figure out how I want things placed and such, and fixing issues when going from the desktop to phone. Things like the back button for example. I'm thinking I'll just hide it when the view gets too small, or just make it and the thread title text smaller, but I don't know yet. Also I can't use Sqlite yet, so I have no database support at all. Once I get that for W10 though, I can just pop it in and it should also just work. Still, it's cool I can at least try it now.

I've also changed how thread posts are presented by using Bootstrap and WinJS-Bootstrap theme, so it should just work correctly from desktops down to phones.

Ninja edit: I also need to note that hamburger menu on the left. The "Split View" is an official control now in Windows 10. But those icons and text for the menu? Yeah, I came up with that myself.

This looks fantastic, and if the rest of the preview turns out okay, I might give WP a shot.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Anyone else really annoyed with the keyboard in the 10 preview? I've made more mistakes on it than in any other touch keyboard I've ever used.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

Anyone else really annoyed with the keyboard in the 10 preview? I've made more mistakes on it than in any other touch keyboard I've ever used.

Yes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

TopherCStone posted:

It would crash an app trying to load. Switching back to 8.1

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Guillermus posted:

I have to say, as an adroid user (Awful and Something apps), that it looks amazing. After reading the bug reports on the last Win 10 build, I'll hold up a bit with my 925 until I can use it as daily driver but from what I see, I love how is it looking.

IuniusBrutus posted:

This looks fantastic, and if the rest of the preview turns out okay, I might give WP a shot.

Thanks! I still think it looks like total poo poo right now, but it's getting there.

Here's search:

I also made those changes to the top nav bar, so it will lower the font size and get rid of the back button if there is no room

And remember, this is the same xaml for both Desktop and Phone.

So what I'm doing on the phone also should work on the desktop.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, the WP10 technical preview looks decent, but I did, to be perfectly honest, only install it to sort of figure out where things were going. With it seemingly knocking me off my network I am ready to make a switch until the new platform is ready and a new flagship launched.

What is the right phone to switch to though? I'd like to maintain my switch to outlook.com as my primary email, onedrive for storage, onenote for various notes, etc. Good camera a priority. Work pays, so cost not a great issue. The iPhone 6 seems the obvious bet, but am I aiming wrong ecosystem-wise?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Yup, think I'll end up rolling back. Nice to play with, but I enjoy my 925 as my daily phone and don't really want to use my Blackberry that badly. I wonder if I can get it to stick on 8.1.2 (which was that intermediate update I was talking about before).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The filterable search box now works on Windows 10 for phones. :awesomelon:

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

I like the direction it's going. The adjustable and moveable keyboard is cool but is unusable for me on the 1520. The gaps on the side keep accidentally getting hit and minimizing the keyboard. Cortana search is ugly as gently caress too. Other than that from what I saw it's mostly just finishing the job. A close all in multitasking would be nice though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

The filterable search box now works on Windows 10 for phones. :awesomelon:

This looks really neat Drastic!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Well, the WP10 technical preview looks decent, but I did, to be perfectly honest, only install it to sort of figure out where things were going. With it seemingly knocking me off my network I am ready to make a switch until the new platform is ready and a new flagship launched.

What is the right phone to switch to though? I'd like to maintain my switch to outlook.com as my primary email, onedrive for storage, onenote for various notes, etc. Good camera a priority. Work pays, so cost not a great issue. The iPhone 6 seems the obvious bet, but am I aiming wrong ecosystem-wise?

Well, I always lean towards android and if you want to come back to WP, there is no point on getting a expensive iPhone 6 when you can get a mid or high end android phone, cheaper, with same or better performance and then switch to WP10 again. Examples are Xperia Z3 and Z3C, LG G3, Motorola Moto X 2014 or if you fancy the iOS looks, Huawei P7 or Honor 6 (Huawei makes fantastic devices).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was trying to find the thread you made on the app to give feedback, but it looks like you're on the right track with the UI, so good job! If I can gripe about stuff here, I'd say the following:

- The top bar on posts is still absolutely, absurdly gigantic. I'd go with something similar to the iOS app, where the avatar is next to and comparable in size with the name and join date, as well as reducing the amount of space between the post/quote:

- Changing the bottom bar to a side bar seems like a waste of real estate. On a tablet it won't matter where you put it, but on a phone you presumably want to maximise space (particularly horizontal space), and right now I'm seeing a lot of empty patches on screen. Similarly, in the search results you've put 1, 2, 3, etc on a separate line, and the gap between results is much larger than the gap between forum sections on the main screen - there's also a big, big gap between the search box and the results. As long as boundaries are well defined, you could slash those gaps dramatically.

- Is it possible to change the font size on quotes as well as posts? I don't think the current app changes that, only the font size on the posts themselves?

You're doing good though, and it's a big step up over the current version, and indeed a lot of WP apps I've been trying. :( Do you have any screenshots of multiple posts - what the bottom of posts looks like, and the divider between posts?

On a separate topic, is it possible to prevent individual tiles from showing transparency on the home screen? I'd be able to navigate the UI a lot more easily if I could control what apps show the background and which have their own colour, as large batches of tiles showing the background tend to blend into one another when you're looking at them.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was trying to find the thread you made on the app to give feedback, but it looks like you're on the right track with the UI, so good job! If I can gripe about stuff here, I'd say the following:

- The top bar on posts is still absolutely, absurdly gigantic. I'd go with something similar to the iOS app, where the avatar is next to and comparable in size with the name and join date, as well as reducing the amount of space between the post/quote:

First, that post is here. I figured I would post Windows Phone specific things here because otherwise no one would see it.

As for the themes, I know. It's so I can do this

As you see, the avatar gets smaller and smaller until it changes position. But now that it has more space, it gets bigger again. When it's hits this media element style I need to change it so it will act like how the current app normally does, but with smaller avatars. It's not done yet. (also note that the gif is old too, posts now take up the full width of the screen :v:)

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

- Changing the bottom bar to a side bar seems like a waste of real estate. On a tablet it won't matter where you put it, but on a phone you presumably want to maximise space (particularly horizontal space), and right now I'm seeing a lot of empty patches on screen. Similarly, in the search results you've put 1, 2, 3, etc on a separate line, and the gap between results is much larger than the gap between forum sections on the main screen - there's also a big, big gap between the search box and the results. As long as boundaries are well defined, you could slash those gaps dramatically.

The search results xaml was copy and pasted from the Windows 8 version. I know it looks like poo poo (especially on phones), but I needed to make sure that it worked at all. The side bar is only used for quick navigation, and I have no idea if I'm keeping it or not. Right now I'm forcing it to be on screen at all times but I don't have to. You can hide it and then have the hamburger button show it as an overlay. I'm playing around with it to see what works, and it'll probably be something that, when i can get people to see and test it more, we'll figure out what to do with it.

Also if you check the later posts, there is a command bar that can be used, so thread navigation and such is still on the bottom of the screen.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

- Is it possible to change the font size on quotes as well as posts? I don't think the current app changes that, only the font size on the posts themselves?

That's the default Bootstrap WinJS gives for block quotes. I'm going to change it so it can be consistent with the other sizes.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the issues raised are mostly due to it being a really early version, with a preview Windows SDK. My goal right now is to get all the features ported over from the last version, make sure they work with less issues, then to focus on cleaning it up and making it look less lovely.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No worries, I didn't want to sound like I'm griping about every little thing, but you're pushing ahead with the app really strongly and seem to have all the main features in hand, so I got kind of nitpicky about things you might want to mop up later.

None of it is a deal beaker, I just get super anal about the design of things!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This might be a weird issue, but has anyone else not been able to open some apps on the Tech. preview. For the life of me I can't figure out why?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sbaldrick posted:

This might be a weird issue, but has anyone else not been able to open some apps on the Tech. preview. For the life of me I can't figure out why?

Apps that are incompatible perhaps? I had that problem with the first tech preview and I just figured they were just incompatible with Windows 10.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BonoMan posted:

Apps that are incompatible perhaps? I had that problem with the first tech preview and I just figured they were just incompatible with Windows 10.

one of them is Netflix so I don't know about that?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My 1020 is no longer with us. I got an iPhone 6+ and I kinda miss my 1520. I like wp10 and I'm sure I'll be back in two years. If windows phone is still around. You guys, there are so many apps over here!

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Drastic, you're awesome and I use your app every day on my phone and SP3. That new version looks great.

I'm not super familiar with Windows XAML styling and such, but is it possible that as you resize (like in your animation) the side bar pops to the bottom and loses the labels? It seems like that would be a good compromise to maintain screen space as you gain vertical-to-horizontal ratio.

Looking very sharp though, thanks for all your hard work to support the relative handful of us that use it :). I am hoping that Windows 10 brings more people over that can appreciate it!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

My 1020 is no longer with us. I got an iPhone 6+ and I kinda miss my 1520. I like wp10 and I'm sure I'll be back in two years. If windows phone is still around. You guys, there are so many apps over here!

Much the same, went for the Z3 Compact in the end, and even in 5.0.2 Android remains pretty messy, laggy and jittery, but it is nice to have a bit more modern hardware and more well-behaved apps. See you guys again when new things come about (either a new WP10 flagship or perhaps a chinese hacked WP10 rom for the Z3 ;))

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I'm sure I'm not going to like the answer to this question, but is there any way at all to backup or migrate the data of an app to another device if it isn't a feature of the app?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

benitocereno posted:

Drastic, you're awesome and I use your app every day on my phone and SP3. That new version looks great.

I'm not super familiar with Windows XAML styling and such, but is it possible that as you resize (like in your animation) the side bar pops to the bottom and loses the labels? It seems like that would be a good compromise to maintain screen space as you gain vertical-to-horizontal ratio.

Looking very sharp though, thanks for all your hard work to support the relative handful of us that use it :). I am hoping that Windows 10 brings more people over that can appreciate it!

That animation was from an unreleased windows 8 build. The gray sidebar is gone now, replaced by the command bar at the bottom. You can see it in the newer W10 shots. It's the same on the desktop.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Few days late on this, but I just saw this article by Microsoft evangelist extraordinaire Paul Thurrott where he shows how to use an iPhone while staying in the MS ecosystem: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/ios/2902/microsoft-iphone

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

Few days late on this, but I just saw this article by Microsoft evangelist extraordinaire Paul Thurrott where he shows how to use an iPhone while staying in the MS ecosystem: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/ios/2902/microsoft-iphone

Doesn't show an iTunes alternative though :negative:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Doesn't show an iTunes alternative though :negative:

You don't have to touch iTunes though. Nearly all activities apart from getting your own music and video in the device can be handled outside of it.

Now getting music onto the iPhone is a pain, but there are so many other cloud music/streaming services on there, you don't really have to use the default player either.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, a few days ago Trivia Crack pushed an update and the app started reliably crashing on launch. Today it pushed another update. Changelog: "Fixed issue with phones set in Dutch." It still crashes on launch. But thank God they fixed that Dutch thing, right? :downs:

soapgish posted:

When I had an iPhone, I put music on it just by plugging it into my computer and a little drag-and-drop.

That's cool, didn't know that worked :tipshat: Does it still auto-launch iTunes every time you plug it in and bug you to update it all the time, though?

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

Using a Note 4 for a bit now and love it but I do miss the gently caress out of my 1520. I just got tired of warranty replacements for the screen/random cortana/back button bullshit. But if they drop a solid phone around that size with Windows 10 I'll get it. There isn't really an app on here I couldn't live without. But I'm still holding out hope for a miracle and that Windows 10/Universal Apps take off. Long shot but I can dream.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone get an update to their 920 on the dev preview today? Mine's still running but there were no patch notes.

Can't wait for that new flagship. The motor is broken on this thing and Microsoft's iOS support is making this entire platform look redundant except for Live Tiles. Does Windows 10 have proper granular permissions or am I still leaving Facebook off my phone?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Anyone get an update to their 920 on the dev preview today? Mine's still running but there were no patch notes.

Can't wait for that new flagship. The motor is broken on this thing and Microsoft's iOS support is making this entire platform look redundant except for Live Tiles. Does Windows 10 have proper granular permissions or am I still leaving Facebook off my phone?

I got an update on my 920 through last night (EST). I don't know what changed though it took a long time to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Mine was done quickly but I'm not really keen on installing updates that don't describe themselves.

wookieepelt posted:

You guys, there are so many apps over here!
That was kind of my reaction to owning an iPad for a week, but apart from having a platform Amazon didn't treat like poo poo I don't find myself longing for particular apps; just better support for the existing WP versions. Aside from e-mail I don't use any Google or Apple services so if they're going to refuse to legitimize the platform by writing first-party apps for things like iTunes and Maps it's their loss, not mine.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 16, 2015