Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I'm hoping they've based the raptors off parrots.

Raised poorly or treated badly and they can be complete assholes that want nothing more than to chew your flesh off, but well trained and with mutual respect they can be the friendliest animals around.

As long as we get this scene with a raptor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNKGK7hVhY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It's interesting that people are talking about the dialogue in that scene when the camera work is just as fascinating. The director is clearly mimicking Spielberg and Hollywood's use of a master then pushing it to get a close up from the 40-50s; something we haven't see in a while. I will love this film for trying if its anything like this scene, we don't have enough dollies in modern day Hollywood blockbusters. That clip is very similar to when Grant is walking back and forth as the kids pester him, lots of movement, dollies back and forth and some push ins. Looking back on that scene, the climbing up stairs then back down, moving to and from the bicycle, are all built for the purpose of dollying. Colin Trevorrow is really trying to bring back the dolly and at times its a little too noticeable, but I can at least admire that. Watching that scene again, there is nine dolly movements in a minute and half.I hope the entire film moves as much as this.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 10, 2015

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Dumb business bitch thinks dinosaurs are just numbers on a spreadsheet. Give me my tough man's rag. I may be built like a man but I'll be god damned if I'm not in touch with my feminine side as evidenced by my intuitive relationship with velociraptors.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

I'm hoping they've based the raptors off parrots.

Raised poorly or treated badly and they can be complete assholes that want nothing more than to chew your flesh off, but well trained and with mutual respect they can be the friendliest animals around.

This is funny because there's a scene early in Jurassic Park III where raptors are compared to parrots. Alan is at Ellie's house trying to get her pet parrot to talk to him--right before they have a conversation about new research indicating that velociraptors may have had sophisticated, even human-like language capabilities. And of course that concept becomes central to the story of the film.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Xenomrph posted:

There's a great YouTube video from a "big cat" nature preserve where they investigate if lions and tigers will chase a laser pointer.

The verdict? Whether big or small, cats are cats. :3:

Some of them also like catnip!
https://youtu.be/tklx3j7kgJY

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 10, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cnut the Great posted:

This is funny because there's a scene early in Jurassic Park III where raptors are compared to parrots. Alan is at Ellie's house trying to get her pet parrot to talk to him--right before they have a conversation about new research indicating that velociraptors may have had sophisticated, even human-like language capabilities. And of course that concept becomes central to the story of the film.

The book keeps comparing them to chimps, but given the film really pushed "dinosaurs = birds" into the public consciousness I can see why that hopped to parrots for thematic consistency

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Bug Hug posted:

Some of them also like catnip!
https://youtu.be/tklx3j7kgJY
The best video is the one about big cats playing with boxes. I'd link it but I'm posting from my iPod. There's also one where they see how big cats react to mirrors.

The "Big Cats Rescue" YouTube channel is all around super awesome.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

The book keeps comparing them to chimps, but given the film really pushed "dinosaurs = birds" into the public consciousness I can see why that hopped to parrots for thematic consistency

Well, in the first movie there's also this shot comparing them to snakes:

Which fits in better with that movie's portrayal of them as coolly calculating reptilian hell-spawn.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Xenomrph posted:

The best video is the one about big cats playing with boxes. I'd link it but I'm posting from my iPod. There's also one where they see how big cats react to mirrors.

The "Big Cats Rescue" YouTube channel is all around super awesome.

I just want to parrot that this channel is in fact awesome.

And regardless of what thematic consistency JP3 showed it was still an awful film of a cash grab. It looks like they're trying harder with this one even if the dialogue was a bit clunky in that single sequence we saw with no context to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

It's interesting that people are talking about the dialogue in that scene when the camera work is just as fascinating. The director is clearly mimicking Spielberg and Hollywood's use of a master then pushing it to get a close up from the 40-50s; something we haven't see in a while. I will love this film for trying if its anything like this scene, we don't have enough dollies in modern day Hollywood blockbusters. That clip is very similar to when Grant is walking back and forth as the kids pester him, lots of movement, dollies back and forth and some push ins. Looking back on that scene, the climbing up stairs then back down, moving to and from the bicycle, are all built for the purpose of dollying. Colin Trevorrow is really trying to bring back the dolly and at times its a little too noticeable, but I can at least admire that. Watching that scene again, there is nine dolly movements in a minute and half.I hope the entire film moves as much as this.

While I agree for the most part, a lot of the action in the scene felt like moving for movements sake, and wasn't motivated by anything other than "we want this scene to feel more active and dynamic," whereas Grant moving from car to car was full of purpose and character building moments.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never thought Grant and Ellie were dating. The scene in which Grant and Malcolm discuss her always struck me as Grant lying to Malcolm because he just didn't like him in general.

Malcolm presumed Grant's apprehension about the topic was that they were dating, Grant took the ball and ran with it, because "Don't touch her, we're dating" is socially more acceptable than "Don't touch her, you swarthy chaos theory rear end in a top hat".

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This thread isn't alone on disliking that dialogue scene:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/joss-whedon-thinks-jurassic-world-looks-sexist.html

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MisterBibs posted:

I never thought Grant and Ellie were dating. The scene in which Grant and Malcolm discuss her always struck me as Grant lying to Malcolm because he just didn't like him in general.

Malcolm presumed Grant's apprehension about the topic was that they were dating, Grant took the ball and ran with it, because "Don't touch her, we're dating" is socially more acceptable than "Don't touch her, you swarthy chaos theory rear end in a top hat".
To be honest that was always my read of it, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"You wanna have one of those?"
"I don't want that kid, but a breed of child Doctor Grant could be intriguing" -- something said between two platonic co-workers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It just hit me that the Jurassic World clip reminds me of Deep Blue Sea. You have the female manager/scientist looking a the dinosaur/shark as a product and asset and the ranger/marine dude that sees them as animals and respects how dangerous they can be. She's probably going to be the indirect cause the I-Rex escapes or isn't immediately killed and she'll probably die at the end to save everyone.

This is a really bad thing.

Unless this movie also has LL Cool J.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 10, 2015

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

While I agree for the most part, a lot of the action in the scene felt like moving for movements sake, and wasn't motivated by anything other than "we want this scene to feel more active and dynamic," whereas Grant moving from car to car was full of purpose and character building moments.

O I agree, there is a dolly movement that cuts to another wider dolly movement in there somewhere, but at least its trying somehow.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:agreed:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I always read Grant's arc as that over the course of the movie and dealing with Lex and Tim he finally starts to appreciate kids and is ready to start a family with Dr. Sattler. That's what this scene at the end is implying.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

I was going to do a post on it (still might), but I agree: everything is really stagey in a way that doesn't really seem like it's warranted.

Not only are the characters bickering like the divorcees in JP3 after only one date(!), but they're doing highly dramatic things like placing him at the top of the staircase, having him turn his back on her and walk to the literal other end of the building. He's fidgeting with tools, complete with dubbed-in socket wrench sound effects while he talks. It's overblown.

Spielberg would likely have done the same scene as a single take, maybe with some insert shots edited in. Contrast that preview with this shot: https://youtu.be/QFm0AHMO4bk?t=1m21s

That's all one shot, and it's subtle. Watch it twice, and keep your eye on Ellie, Ian, and the other background characters.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 10, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ya ok I'm gonna let Whedon tell me what's sexist.

Alternatively

:drat: even Whedon thinks it's sexist

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ruby idiot railed posted:

Ya ok I'm gonna let Whedon tell me what's sexist.

Alternatively

:drat: even Whedon thinks it's sexist

Are you implying Whedon is sexist? Because you couldn't be any more wrong.

He's a total feminist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deakul posted:

Are you implying Whedon is sexist? Because you couldn't be any more wrong.

He's a total feminist.

The "100 pound Kung fu girl" type of feminist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's less 'sexism versus feminism' and more like '1970s sexism versus Whedon's 1990s sexism'.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

A female character being unemotional according to a whiny dude who also thinks he can talk to velociraptors and can't hold eye contact for a short business conversation: the film itself is sexist

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hbomberguy posted:

A female character being unemotional according to a whiny dude who also thinks he can talk to velociraptors and can't hold eye contact for a short business conversation: the film itself is sexist

Exactly. The only way to redeem the scene is to understand that Pratt is in the wrong here. His extreme self-awareness (such he literally explains that the dinosaurs are a metaphor for his relationships with women) is a mask for whatever the real issue is.

The subtext seems to be that he wants to gently caress a velociraptor.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Who wouldn't?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

"I don't want that kid, but a breed of child Doctor Grant could be intriguing" -- something said between two platonic co-workers.

The line has commas surrounding "Dr. Grant." There are much better clues on which to base an interpretation that they're a couple, since it's not strange for them to be discussing Grant's dislike of children after he just threatened one with disembowelment. Grant's babies are buried in bone-dry Snakewater, and they don't smell. Sattler, who happily digs through poo poo, is a foil for his curmudgeonly attitude toward kids and turns him into a babysitter for his own good, and he literally throws that old raptor claw away.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

"I don't want that kid, but a breed of child, Doctor Grant? Could be intriguing" -- something said between two platonic co-workers.

Um, yeah? If you're a Kid Person and your friend/coworker isn't (or vice versa), a discussion about kids will naturally come up, eventually, since they are around each other a lot.

"See? Kids are annoying. I can't believe you'd want one of those..."

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Exactly. The only way to redeem the scene is to understand that Pratt is in the wrong here. His extreme self-awareness (such he literally explains that the dinosaurs are a metaphor for his relationships with women) is a mask for whatever the real issue is.

I must admit I don't think media can be (inherently) sexist or racist, since it always reads as a look into the views of the system that created it. Even Nazi propaganda films are fascinating autobiographical looks into the worldview that created them rather than actually-compelling arguments for the cause of fascism.

In the same vein, this film is only sexist when read as if Chris Pratt's character is being presented as some sort of genuine 100% good guy hero with no flaws who behaves exactly as one should around women - but even then a filmmaker's decision to present that in such a way is telling.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's less 'sexism versus feminism' and more like '1970s sexism versus Whedon's 1990s sexism'.

What do you mean by this?
I'm a pretty big Whedon fanboy and as far as I can tell none of his work is sexist.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
His idea of strong female characters is young hot 20 year olds in skimpy clothes beating up bad guys (while saying oh-so-precious one-liners). Ellen Ripley they ain't.

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 11, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I thought the fuss over Penny in Dr. Horrible not being a Buffy rear end kicker and therefore less feminist was sort of funny because she was a nice woman working with charity to make the world better and got steamrolled by two douchebags playing their comic book games, which was a much more realistic and nuanced presentation than titty kicker Whedon hero girls usually are.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bullet3 posted:

His idea of strong female characters is young hot 20 year olds in skimpy clothes beating up bad guys (while saying oh-so-precious one-liners). Ellen Ripley they ain't.

You've never watched any of the shows then, good to know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deakul posted:

You've never watched any of the shows then, good to know.

That pretty accurately describes Dollhouse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

computer parts posted:

Although Olivia Williams' role is probably the most obvious example of a female character that doesn't fit that description.

E: In Whedon's work I mean.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

computer parts posted:

Sure, I'll give you Dollhouse.
I want to say it's all the network's fault that that show was the way it was, sex sells after all.

But, I think it got toned down a lot in season 2 and came into its own as a pretty alright show.

I haven't watched it in a long time, could be wrong. It's my least favorite Whedon show by far.

I also know that there was far more to their characters than just being sexy people to look at, so there's that too.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 11, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The "tiny female asskicker" is a specific type of fetishism, that gets even more obvious when you see how often it is used in Japanese media. Whedon isn't quite as bad as, say, Paul W.S. Anderson, but how often it shows up in his work (it was toned down from the script in the film for Alien Resurrection, as well) combined with how and when it is used leads one to believe that he's more attracted to this type of ideal as opposed to making a particular statement about female strength with it.

See: Sucker Punch, which is hugely critical of that and strictly states it as fetish.

Counterexample: Ellen Ripley (when not written by Whedon) and Sarah Connor don't draw strength from superpowers and constantly beating up men 3 times their size - in fact, things that are often seen as weak, feminine qualities, are portrayed as the focus/most heroic aspects in their respective action films

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sarah Connor is a fantastic example really. She's a very realistic character, with how she starts out, to how she ends up in Terminator 2 where she drat near loses her humanity to the merciless weapon she thinks she has to be to save everyone.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The They Live sunglasses to understanding Whedon's particular POV when it comes to gender equality is with the character of Inara in Firefly.

Inara is a prostitute, but she is intelligent, kind, a nice person yadda yadda, and several episodes revolve around her defying 'traditional expectations' of her role, but around the edges the problem starts to appear. It's all sanitised, clients are all super rich and the Companions choose their own clients, there's a support network, it's all a classy affair for the people at the top. It's classist and supports liberal values, a well-regulated free market and so on, 'cleaning up' the world's oldest profession by making it all shiny.

Whedon shifts the burden of actually exploring problems with prostitution elsewhere to pursue this bizarre ideological fantasy of a version that 'works'. Now you can say it's weird to attribute this to Whedon himself when there were doubtless other writers, but then he made Dollhouse, which explores the exact same fantasy.

I mean Buffy achieves very little in the course of that show too. Society doesn't get any better and the social antagonisms that lead to issues like sexism in the first place remain unchallenged - but the female characters sure are superficially smart and strong and beat up outsiders! The show situates Bad Things in weird otherworldly intrusions into the world rather than as problems already inherent to society. The best you can achieve is to be A Strong Woman, and at no point do these shows really talk about oppression or systemic problems. These shows read as an attempt to be superficially feminist not but too actually feminist in case it rocks the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bullet3 posted:

Fun fact: Joss Whedon wrote 'Alien Resurrection'.

• Locked thread