Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
CrashCat nailed it.

Ron announced that he's staying with SiriusXM and the new show starting Monday is #Bennington

Production staff is still in the air. Pepper is still pursuing corporate. No mention of Shelby so I imagine he's fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
When Bennington was first announced months ago I wondered how long this would take to occur. It's a good replacement but it shouldn't be on Raw Dog but, it's Sirius, of course they couldn't get everything right.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I am completely okay with #Bennington #Bangtin five days a week. I'll miss fez.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Well that's 3 hours less radio I need to listen to every day.

I'll miss Ron a little bit but not enough to tolerate him and his daughter having a daily "cool" - off.

Goose42
Dec 30, 2002

spudsbuckley posted:

I'll miss Ron a little bit but not enough to tolerate him and his daughter having a daily "cool" - off.

So it's not a bit?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

It's also a bit.

Ron will introduce his adult son Todd on Monday as well.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
So long and thanks for all the bits.

Goose42 posted:

So it's not a bit?

If it is (it's not), they're certainly beating it to death.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Any minute now... Any minute now Patrice is going to show up in studio and Ant is going to say that Obama is pretty ok as a president!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

CrashCat nailed it.

Ron announced that he's staying with SiriusXM and the new show starting Monday is #Bennington

Production staff is still in the air. Pepper is still pursuing corporate. No mention of Shelby so I imagine he's fired.

spudsbuckley posted:

It's also a bit.

Ron will introduce his adult son Todd on Monday as well.

Cool. Be nice to see where this show takes us.

Keg posted:

Any minute now... Any minute now Patrice is going to show up in studio and Ant is going to say that Obama is pretty ok as a president!

I can just see Ant saying 'HA, I VOTED FOR HIM AND STAGED MY FIRING!! LITTLE DO YOU KNOW I'VE DONATED HALF MY SALARY TO OBAMA YAAAAAAAAY' and then doing the Groverarms.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

spudsbuckley posted:

I can't imagine how insanely uncool you have to be to think that show is anything other than a family having a nice conversation about stuff they're interested in and telling jokes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I like Bennington but I will miss the weird carny poo poo he did with R&F.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
*Ron and Gail have a conversation about 70s bands*

ugh this too cool for the room poo poo has to stop. i can't relate. who even ever heard of neil young

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ron mentioned to Fez a lot how it was tragic that he stopped 'creating', but with #Bangtin, I don't imagine anyone creating, other than maybe hashtags or the PCND game.

Like, if they did funny audio poo poo or little games (WHATS IN THE BOOOOX?!), that'd be great.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
eh I actually kinda like it as just a once a week thing. I mean I like Gail and all but I dunno. There's gonna have to be a lil bit of a change to make it work 5 days a week. Eitherway it;ll be interesting to see how it goes I guess.

Edit: yeah exactly what Morter said

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Under the vegetable posted:

ugh this too cool for the room poo poo has to stop. i can't relate. who even ever heard of neil young
Great, there's one show. Good thing they don't have to do weeks of this poo poo

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Morter posted:

Ron mentioned to Fez a lot how it was tragic that he stopped 'creating', but with #Bangtin, I don't imagine anyone creating, other than maybe hashtags or the PCND game.

Like, if they did funny audio poo poo or little games (WHATS IN THE BOOOOX?!), that'd be great.

I don't know. They played audio of Gail (as a little girl) doing a bit with Ron & Ron and she stayed right along with it. If anybody could replace Fez, it's one of the Bennington kids who grew up in that weirdness.

But I'm kinda curious how she'll get along with the trucker crowd on a daily basis.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So Ron's totally green and not very good at radio daughter is now a radio host on a national platform, because of Ron? Gross.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

So Ron's totally insane and not very good at radio partner is now a radio host on a national platform, because of Ron? Gross.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

touche

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I like how we all came to this conclusion.

I'm not ruling out anything right now. Still could or can not be a bit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

If I remember correctly, didn't Fezzie have a degree in communications or something? It was a little after college that he contacted Ron.

And are you saying he was never good on the radio?

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Under the vegetable posted:

Not to mention that hipster band Fleetwood Mac!

I'm excited, but I hope the show doesn't become a little softer because of Gail being co-host, I get the feeling that he reigns the meanness in when she's around. Otherwise, I enjoy Bennington now, so we'll see how it goes.

Poor Shelby, the only reason he sucks now is because he's the Theon Greyjoy of Ron & Fez. Beaten to a pulp by Ramsay Snow (Ron) and only a shadow of his once self. He is probably fired like someone said.

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 11, 2015

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

If I remember correctly, didn't Fezzie have a degree in communications or something? It was a little after college that he contacted Ron.

And are you saying he was never good on the radio?

Probably not by the time they were on nationally but I guess he still did some stuff occasionally on XM in like 2004

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

T Bowl posted:

So Ron's totally green and not very good at radio daughter is now a radio host on a national platform, because of Ron? Gross.
Compared to no co-host/Zero Fez? Still an improvement

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

CrashCat posted:

Compared to no co-host/Zero Fez? Still an improvement

Yeah, if he announced his new co-host was a stick of celery, it would still contribute more than Fez has in years. I love Fez, I don't have hate for him, but anybody Ron can actually bounce off of will be an improvement. I will miss the Fez torture though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

How Much Art posted:

I will miss the Fez torture though.
The first couple of years, when Ron could actually work with Fez's sickness, were pretty alright. Eventually though it just became like kicking a crippled puppy. He would still do it now and then to prove he could but it was worthless to do so and needlessly mean (though probably not as mean as Fez needed).

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I like listening to people kick crippled puppies :(

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm looking forward to Bennington because I've never listened to talk radio with a father and one of his kids. I've listened to Stern, O&A, R&F (and some poo poo local radio) but I'm excited for a new dynamic. They already have great chemistry, Gail has a good sense of humor, and they know how to make each other laugh, something that has been sorely missing from R&F (and O&A for that matter) for the last few years. Ron finally has a co-host that will disagree with him and not just "You're right Ron" everything he says. It'll actually spark discussion. Imagine that.

JFC fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 11, 2015

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

JFC posted:

Ron finally has a co-host that will disagree with him and not just "You're right Ron" everything he says. It'll actually spark discussion. Imagine that.

loving BINGO. Definitely something I haven't heard happen to him in ages.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

onemillionzombies posted:

I like listening to people kick crippled puppies :(

Speaking of which, why isn't there a clip of the story of Chester on youtube?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JFC posted:

I'm looking forward to Bennington because I've never listened to talk radio with a father and one of his kids. I've listened to Stern, O&A, R&F (and some poo poo local radio) but I'm excited for a new dynamic. They already have great chemistry, Gail has a good sense of humor, and they know how to make each other laugh, something that has been sorely missing from R&F (and O&A for that matter) for the last few years. Ron finally has a co-host that will disagree with him and not just "You're right Ron" everything he says. It'll actually spark discussion. Imagine that.

Can't wait til Ron asks her if she practices kissing with her friends

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I hope Pepper comes back. I miss Peppy Hamburger.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Morter posted:

Speaking of which, why isn't there a clip of the story of Chester on youtube?

There's plenty of good Chester stories but you have to search "Stories from Ron's Youth" :rimshot:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Yeah, I like having Pepper around too. Maybe his time as "Corporate Chris" has taught him how to train the interns better and delegate to other producers. He's been a lovely producer for the last few years what with having to do Fez's job. Maybe now he'll have some stress off him and can focus.

I don't feel sorry for Shelby if he got fired though. He had countless opportunities to make his situation better and never made an effort to work with others. He is notorious for killing a bit too. Anytime Ron taking a specific route in the conversation to get to a punchline and all he needs is a "yes and" from Shelby, he fucks it up by thinking he knows better and tries to make a lame joke or comment, stopping everything dead. He just can't go with the bit. Even in discussion Ron will ask Shelby a question and instead of answering that question he thinks about what Ron's response will be to his answer... and then he answers that imagined question instead, killing the conversation.

A hypothetical example:
Shelby walks in wearing a pink shirt:
Ron: What color shirt is that you're wearing today.
Shelby: Just because it's pink doesn't make me gay.

You think you know where he's going kid? Why don't you let him steer the ship and you just go along for the ride.

Edit 1: Did they say if Bennington starts this Monday or will it be another week off?
Edit 2: Oh, April 20th.

JFC fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 11, 2015

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

How Much Art posted:

loving BINGO. Definitely something I haven't heard happen to him in ages.

He started asking everyone else their opinions first, then taking the opposite side just to keep anything going. It was funny sometimes, but you could hear his frustration now and again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

JFC posted:

Yeah, I like having Pepper around too. Maybe his time as "Corporate Chris" has taught him how to train the interns better and delegate to other producers. He's been a lovely producer for the last few years what with having to do Fez's job. Maybe now he'll have some stress off him and can focus.

I don't feel sorry for Shelby if he got fired though. He had countless opportunities to make his situation better and never made an effort to work with others. He is notorious for killing a bit too. Anytime Ron taking a specific route in the conversation to get to a punchline and all he needs is a "yes and" from Shelby, he fucks it up by thinking he knows better and tries to make a lame joke or comment, stopping everything dead. He just can't go with the bit. Even in discussion Ron will ask Shelby a question and instead of answering that question he thinks about what Ron's response will be to his answer... and then he answers that imagined question instead, killing the conversation.

A hypothetical example:
Shelby walks in wearing a pink shirt:
Ron: What color shirt is that you're wearing today.
Shelby: Just because it's pink doesn't make me gay.

You think you know where he's going kid? Why don't you let him steer the ship and you just go along for the ride.

I have a better question: what did they think they were getting when they hired Shelb? His main talent was non sequitur humor. If they didn't want him interjecting with weird little asides, then they should have kept him as a guest. Instead, they did hire him, and then belittled him when he was taken out of his element as a commentator. Blaming Shelby for not fitting in with the show now that we know all of the drama was real is a bit too much. How would we feel if our bosses was an angry drunk known for tearing up rooms when frustrated (per B.L.), a pseudo-gay virgin taking potshots solely because of his inexperience, and a host would feels perfectly fine transferring his angry towards the virgin onto you after intimidating you constantly on the air to the point of calling you Virgin 2.0?

Ron and Fez is, like most radio shows, really hosed in the head. Shelby is a young man with a future. Most of the people on the show are self-destructive as gently caress. He shouldn't take the firing as a commentary on his comedy, but as a lesson not to let yourself go to poo poo like them.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Shelby's a loving weirdo who got to work with equally weird bosses and for better or for worse he'll have that to put on his resume. I don't feel bad for him in the slightest in that regard.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
I think Gail is great. I've liked Bennington since the beginning and she really won me over the day she first sat in on Ron and fez and started making fun of Fez and his awkward gay pickup lines.

Plus it's nice to hear Ron actually have fun on the air and make jokes rather than sit there with three assholes who don't want to do radio.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I can just see Ant saying 'HA, I VOTED FOR HIM AND STAGED MY FIRING!! LITTLE DO YOU KNOW I'VE DONATED HALF MY SALARY TO OBAMA YAAAAAAAAY' and then doing the Groverarms.

Gahahahahahahahahahahah! You owe me a new keyboard :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Iliza Shlesinger is the absolute worst.

"Take the time to look up how I'm a hypocrite? How about using that time to write some jokes and maybe you can open for me"
"All I was doing was pointing out, on the whole, uh, I thought it spoke to a greater issue and it has nothing to do with, uh, if anybody anytime blows the whistle, we go into their history and go 'what about this' then we're just going to be a world of assholes. So, I stand by what I did and the comics who - first of all I don't even check their tweets but - the comics that are upset about it like go work on your act. Get a life."
"And I think the people who have a problem with it, more have a problem with the fact that a woman knows how to read and write and respond, and defended herself."

Bleh. And nobody called her on that. fawkin piece of garbage

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 11, 2015

• Locked thread