Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I'm at the Lost Bastille, and I was invaded twice by the same red phantom. I can't recall the name, but he was two-handing a huge sword. Is he a NPC invader who doesn't always spawn, or was I invaded by the same guy (almost) two times in a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

LupusAter posted:

I'm at the Lost Bastille, and I was invaded twice by the same red phantom. I can't recall the name, but he was two-handing a huge sword. Is he a NPC invader who doesn't always spawn, or was I invaded by the same guy (almost) two times in a row?

The Forlorn is an NPC that invades randomly, and he carries a big 2h sword. So probably him.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Elana is SUCH a bullshit fight. I can't even summon good help because my soul memory is too high.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Elana is SUCH a bullshit fight. I can't even summon good help because my soul memory is too high.

What parts of it are you having trouble with? My strategy was basically:

-Run up and whack her a few times until she summons her axe.
-Back off, wait for opening where I can attack (generally any of the non-Darkstorm attacks).
-When the skeletons pop up, I kill two and then either hurl Alluring Skulls or just dodge away from it/take a bit of damage. As far as I know, leaving one skeleton alive will prevent her from summoning further reinforcement.

It's really just about not getting cocky and trying to go ham on her and only attacking after she's done an attack with a decently long recovery time. Beyond that, I just ran around the arena a lot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just sat on the upper level of Belfry Luna for like 15 minutes in Chameleon while three grey phantoms ran around looking for me without ever actually climbing the ladder up. (I had just realized I had the spell wanted to see how well it worked.) Eventually I realized they were never going to find me so I started ringing the bell constantly, but I guess 2/3 of them were AFK.

Unfortunately, after I killed the one non-AFK guy I realised I didn't have enough corrosive urns.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Vermain posted:

What parts of it are you having trouble with? My strategy was basically:

-Run up and whack her a few times until she summons her axe.
-Back off, wait for opening where I can attack (generally any of the non-Darkstorm attacks).
-When the skeletons pop up, I kill two and then either hurl Alluring Skulls or just dodge away from it/take a bit of damage. As far as I know, leaving one skeleton alive will prevent her from summoning further reinforcement.

It's really just about not getting cocky and trying to go ham on her and only attacking after she's done an attack with a decently long recovery time. Beyond that, I just ran around the arena a lot.

I tried the keeping one skele thing, but she attacks with no cooldowns if she has summons I noticed. So I'm constantly trying to catch up with her and avoid the skeleton while she hammers away with flame swaths and oops I'm out of stamina hammer stagger and skeleton hit aaaand im dead. Pretty much every time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I was actually doing okay with the one skeleton strat till I got her to one third health and she summoned Velshat.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Using an ultra-greatsword for Elana worked for me since the basic swing attacks were wide enough to both hit her and kill/stagger the skeletons that were coming at me from either side. Whenever Velstadt gets summoned you try to separate the two of them and kill off the summon then go back to hitting her again.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also don't try and backstab the skeletons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scythe of the Forlorn is surprisingly decent 2h when you're fully hollowed. It has a unique r2 combo that does tons of damage fairly quickly.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The funny thing is there's no way when I beat this stupid boss I'll have a

Average Bear posted:

gently caress YEAH SUCK MY DICK FOREVER YOU ANIME LIGHTNING GUY gently caress

moment or when I beat any other Dark Souls 2 boss. Every boss (except the one at the end of the Dark covenant) is just HP sponge, repetitive, roll-filled poo poo. The most it'll get out of me is a groan of annoyance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Average Bear posted:

The funny thing is there's no way when I beat this stupid boss I'll have a

moment or when I beat any other Dark Souls 2 boss. Every boss (except the one at the end of the Dark covenant) is just HP sponge, repetitive, roll-filled poo poo. The most it'll get out of me is a groan of annoyance.

Well, you're not alone in that feeling of "Well, that's over with then :geno:" after various bosses die, even if you manage on the first or second try. Then again I also thought the gargoyle fight was one of the most fun fights I had in DS2 so clearly there's something wrong with me :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gargoyles are vastly more tolerable now that there's an NPC summon there to distract them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Any recorded kills against bells from the new NPC summons?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Finally did it by getting lucky and finding a human ally summon. She never summoned Velshat, so I really lucked out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If she summons Velstadt then feather out and try again. She does eventually summon more skellies or Velstadt even if you leave one skeleton alive, but it takes a long time.

If you really want to deal with Velstadt, grab your buckler and parry the fucker. It stuns him long enough that you can get a few hits on Elana in, but it's still a very slow process of hit-and-run (mostly run). A more interesting boss arena would have gone a long way to making that fight less of a pain. Even just removing her ability to teleport would have been good, teleportation plus adds makes for a Benny Hill poo poo house of a fight.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I think her boss fight would be excellent if:

-No skeletons summoned
-Velstadt only can walk
-Weakened melee from queenie

This would create a more interesting dynamic where the player has to close in melee range, but also be aware of Velstadt's presence at all times.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Orv posted:

I murdered the shitfuck out of the Shadow Warriors and they never dropped anything, so I have no idea.

The first one I ever killed dropped a Shadow Top :smug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Any recorded kills against bells from the new NPC summons?

What do you mean? I've seen the new summons kill several invaders solo but I've never seen them get downed even once.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Are you guys actually leveling your Adapability up to get 105 Agi? What Agi do you feel comfortable with? I'm trying to put down the pacifier that is the shield (and putting Item Discovery on Watchdragon Parma now has made it my main shield...), but I feel like I need to get my Agi up pretty high before I come from behind it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Are you guys actually leveling your Adapability up to get 105 Agi? What Agi do you feel comfortable with? I'm trying to put down the pacifier that is the shield (and putting Item Discovery on Watchdragon Parma now has made it my main shield...), but I feel like I need to get my Agi up pretty high before I come from behind it.

I'm pretty confident at 35 ADP. I can dodge roll pretty good. It's just everything else I'm lacking in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just level ADP to 20 ASAP and then ignore it for the rest of the game. With that and at least 16 Attunement you'll hit the 99 agility breakpoint. If you want 105 for the extra iframe then 20 ATN / 27 ADP or 40/20 works.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You get 16 Attunement even if you don't use any spells?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Firstborn posted:

There's no reason not to pick up a few pyromancies

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Firstborn posted:

Some spells are always good even with low stats. All pyromancies work, plus some low-stat-requirement spells like Repair, Cast Light, Caressing Prayer, etc.

Being able to cure poison without spending 1500 souls every time makes the gutter and black gulch much easier. Cast light is great because you don't need to spend a hand on a torch, though it's obviously only useful in certain areas.

I particularly love Toxic Mist. It's great for cheesing some tough enemies like the giant iron guys in Brume, and it pretty much oneshots the greatbow guy in the double dragonrider fight.

Unless you have some sort of roleplay reason to avoid magic you should have at least 10 ATN on every character.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 11, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is bleed any good in this game, PVP-wise? It seems mostly useless for PVE but I've never really seen it used much in PVP. I've been trying out small thrusting weapons and the ice rapier comes with bleed so I've been thinking of infusing it with bleed or raw, or possibly buffing it with more bleed just to make the most out of it. Or would that be a waste of time?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Bleed was not especially good for PvP before and it is especially not good now imo

Poison has more utility in PVP overall

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe I'll switch weapons later then. It seems to be working good for now, but maybe I'm just getting matched against people who are worse than me. I'm actually winning for once! I should probably use the right trigger ice blast when they run though. That would stop them from moving.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was trying (and failing :() to hook my PC up to my tv via hdmi earlier, and that accidentally booted up the PS4 on Bloodborne - goddamn that game feels horrendously sluggish after playing DS2 on the PC for awhile.

Pretty hilarious, since BB ostensibly has much faster combat, but the framerate just makes everything feel like molasses after running around at 60fps for the last week or two. That and the horrendous, godawful load times every time you die or travel.

I still love the game, but yeesh.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bloodborne is a great game, and definitely does some things better than dark souls. Dropping shields was a smart move, and the overall PvE combat feels very polished. Bosses are okay are okay to good, and are overall better than the dark souls bosses, but none quite match the fume knight. The trick weapon idea is fun, and switch between weapon modes as you attack can lead to some good moves. I like the attacking to regain health mechanic, to encourage being aggressive. I like the general style and atmosphere that the game has going.

What the game lacks is variety though. It doesn't have the quantity of weapons, armor, and build options available that dark souls 2 has. Half the players are using ludwigs holy blade. There are only three covenenats, and they feel half baked even by From standards. Grinding chalice dungeons is more of a slog than it is fun. Needing to keep a stock of blood vials is dumb, instead of how estus work.

I feel like Bloodborne is a good start to a new From series, but it isn't some holy grail game. If they can add some more variety and depth to your options in any expansions/sequels, as a series that could surpass Dark Souls. It isn't there yet though.

Overall, it is a fun game to play through once, but it isn't a game that makes me want to go back and continue playing. There just isn't enough variety for it. I've come back to SotFS, and have been enjoying the freshness of the shuffled enemies and loot.

Just made my way to the dragon shrine. I used a zipline to basically bypass the whole area. That is a thing now? There were some player messages nearby that made it sound dangerous.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 11, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Maybe I'll switch weapons later then. It seems to be working good for now, but maybe I'm just getting matched against people who are worse than me. I'm actually winning for once! I should probably use the right trigger ice blast when they run though. That would stop them from moving.

I'll clarify a little. There are some good weapons with innate bleed. But bleed itself is not a good status effect in any sense. Nothing in PVE is weak or takes significant damage from it and everyone in PVP will die before it goes off. Poison is just straight up better in both situations.

This was mostly true in Dark Souls 1, but back in ye olden times bleed was better against certain monster (Smough and the fat demons) and you had the benefit of Lifehunt Scythe giving a huge bonus to bleed procs, bleed damage and being a good weapon balanced around the fact you needed a certain build to use it without blowing yourself up. And poison still had its uses there too.

So anyway From nerfed bleed for no reason and I miss Lifehunt Scythe

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nuebot posted:

I keep forgetting Pate is available for the last giant fight. Which is a bummer because you don't get his stuff if you don't. At least according to the wiki.

I think SotFS changed it so that he won't give you his stuff for helping him there, which means that, if you're metagaming it to get as much free crap as possible in one run, you don't have incentive to help Creighton instead when they fight each other.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pate will still give you his stuff in earthen peak if you summoned him for last giant. I have it myself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Thank god, I love his great shield.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So uh, how about that grand lance. Guy thrusts randomly, I'm nowhere near him, like, not even a roll would have covered the distance between us. Get hit and he then combos. This happens almost every time I fight someone with it.

EDIT: I infused my weapon with poison but the damage difference was not good, and it never seemed to trigger the poison even after a full combo. I think I'll stick to items and try something else. Also, while I'm bitching, the new dog placements around McDuff are annoying.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 11, 2015

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
d

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This may be a hardware or OS problem instead of related to the game, but since it's the only one I seem to have this problem with I'll ask here. I got SotFS, and set it up like normal, but when I try to play it in windowed mode I get weird red and green glowing dots all over the place like texture corruption seeming stuff. When I switch it to run fullscreen instead it works perfectly. Anyone had similar issues? Win 7 64bit, GTX 970 if that matters.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brume Tower so far is Not Fun. Fairly cool looking area outside, but then inside is just headache inducing background noises and rooms filled with lovely fights.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Where's the easiest Bonfire Ascetic? I have farmed the Heide Knights to extinction at the tower, and only need the chest to have their full armor set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

victrix posted:

Brume Tower so far is Not Fun. Fairly cool looking area outside, but then inside is just headache inducing background noises and rooms filled with lovely fights.

I like that half the rooms in brume tower can be cleared just by blowing up the barrels.