Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

By the way stand dev with HC-110 or Ilfotec HC is exactly the same as stand with R09. Same dilutions, same times, same procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Understanding posted:

Dilution H, 38 mins.

Agitate every minute.
gently caress that noise so much

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Or get a Jobo or Uniroller, turn it on, and walk away for 38 minutes :unsmigghh:

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Understanding posted:

Dilution H, 38 mins.

Agitate every minute.

Suffer for your art.
Uuugh oh man

It's babby's first stand dev so I plan on drinking beers while the film develops without my help in the uni's dark room this evening :)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

evil_bunnY posted:

gently caress that noise so much

Worked fine for 35mm, but i tried once every 10 mins with 4x5 and it came out all hosed up.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

pootiebigwang posted:

Wish I could bulk roll 120 film.

Having re-rolled film onto backing paper in the past, I can say with certainty that this sounds like a giant pain in the dick.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
bulk load 220 then

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

bulk load 220 then

I have a bunch of 220 that my girlfriends dad gave me from his freezer stock but I have no idea what to do with it.

Pretty sure I can shoot it with my Pentax 67 right? What's different about it?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
220 is twice the film but the same size spool because it has no backing paper. You need to swap pressure plates to use it or your shots will all be out of focus. The p67 takes 220 yeah

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

I have a bunch of 220 that my girlfriends dad gave me from his freezer stock but I have no idea what to do with it.

Pretty sure I can shoot it with my Pentax 67 right? What's different about it?

just make sure to move the 120 switch to 220 and you are golden.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Yup, the backing pressure plate slides from 120 to 220, and there's also that screw on the side that you rotate from 120 to 220.
The back will also say 220 once you slide the pressure plate over.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I intentionally left a holder with a sheet of Portra in my checked luggage for the Ethiopia -> US trip.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 13, 2015

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I thought ISO 800 and below was supposed to go through x-rays just fine :ohdear:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I am guessing they use pretty intense x-rays when you travel from Africa to US

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

I thought ISO 800 and below was supposed to go through x-rays just fine :ohdear:

BANME.sh posted:

I am guessing they use pretty intense x-rays when you travel from Africa to US

ISO 800 and below are fine for the carry-on x-ray machines and all of my other film went through those just fine. It's the x-ray machines for the checked luggage you need to worry about.

tl;dr never ever ever put your film in checked luggage, at the very least if you're traveling to the US.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 13, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

ISO 800 and below are fine for the carry-on x-ray machines and all of my other film went through those just fine. It's the x-ray machines for the checked luggage you need to worry about.

tl;dr never ever ever put your film in checked luggage, at the very least if you're traveling to the US.

Just to add on that. >800 is ok through carry-on too. It's all about how many times you go through. I can't remember where, but I think kodak even put out some numbers on how many passes is ok.

As a note, I had to put my 3200 film through 3 carry-on xray passes on a recent trip. No problems.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Question about dust spotting B+W.

This is a partially processed negative. Shot on Ilford 3200 B+W.

I've been noticing that the spot healing tool does a really poor job when it comes to grain like this. It basically just creates a blur, which is fine for color films at a lower ISO. For this though, it seems pretty noticeable. Is there a better way to do dust spotting? Should I just clone stamp it?

It's particularly noticeable to the left of his head.

img007 by spikemccue, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Spot Healing Brush with Type set to "content-aware" works really good, I found. Type "proximity match" might work well too, especially at duplicating the grain.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I never have an issue with content aware spot healing but in older versions I would have to use the patch tool sometimes if it did that mushy grain thing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

Spot Healing Brush with Type set to "content-aware" works really good, I found. Type "proximity match" might work well too, especially at duplicating the grain.

That's exactly what I use.

8th-snype posted:

I never have an issue with content aware spot healing but in older versions I would have to use the patch tool sometimes if it did that mushy grain thing.

This is photoshop cc.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

MrBlandAverage posted:

I intentionally left a holder with a sheet of Portra in my checked luggage for the Ethiopia -> US trip.

I feel like a dick for asking TSA to hand check my 400 now, but to be fair, the common consensus is that there's no reason to use film over digital, so I don't really expect them to care/know about minor imperfections due to Xrays. This is good info.

VVV that's exactly my point

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 13, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

And yet there's still no reason to have your 400 speed film hand-checked (out of your carry-on, clearly) because that won't happen unless it's in a checked bag.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I've been doing it when I fly just to preempt a "what the gently caress is this?" from the screener.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

This is photoshop cc.

Use a smaller brush.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Pukestain Pal posted:

Use a smaller brush.

Yeah, this, and I think the spot healing brush has a "create texture" option that samples the surrounding texture.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

This is photoshop cc.

Oh well then if manually selecting a heal source (or the create texture thingy) doesn't work then I suggest using the patch tool on a larger area and then if you have to heal out the edges of that.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Is Astia as good as everyone says? I found myself 10 rolls of it tonight - 35mm though. Wish it was 120 but I can't complain. Expired 2002 but refrigerated.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BANME.sh posted:

Is Astia as good as everyone says? I found myself 10 rolls of it tonight - 35mm though. Wish it was 120 but I can't complain. Expired 2002 but refrigerated.

Visit the Astia Microthread and look around!
Or check out most of MrBlandAverage's posts - I'm not sure what other color he's shooting, but I'm pretty sure it's his favorite.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I lovvvve Astia

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yond Cassius posted:

Visit the Astia Microthread and look around!
Or check out most of MrBlandAverage's posts - I'm not sure what other color he's shooting, but I'm pretty sure it's his favorite.

Portra 400 and Astia for me! I should be using more of my Astia hoard. https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=astia&sort=relevance&user_id=40786724%40N00

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I shot some expired Portra 400NC. Is there any compensation I can do for it in development or did I gently caress up by just shooting it at box speed? I shot some expired Ektachrome at box speed that was was stored in the same conditions and those came out fine, but I don't know about Portra.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

pootiebigwang posted:

I shot some expired Portra 400NC. Is there any compensation I can do for it in development or did I gently caress up by just shooting it at box speed? I shot some expired Ektachrome at box speed that was was stored in the same conditions and those came out fine, but I don't know about Portra.

Portra NC was introduced in... 2006, I think? When did yours expire? You might want to push it a stop, but I really doubt it's expired enough to make a huge difference.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Yond Cassius posted:

Portra NC was introduced in... 2006, I think? When did yours expire? You might want to push it a stop, but I really doubt it's expired enough to make a huge difference.

Expired in 2008 I think

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You'll be fine.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I shot some expired Portra NC and 1/3 of the rolls had a really heavy cyan cast.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Anime Sandwich posted:

I shot some expired Portra NC and 1/3 of the rolls had a really heavy cyan cast.

Heavy cyan cast usually means that it was stored hot.
Was yours stored in a hot environment?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Portra 160NC just gets cyan. I had some 20 count boxes bought from a pro that had always been frozen and they had a tinge to them at 3+ years old.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

VomitOnLino posted:

No clue. I bought them at a used gear sale at a photography school so I assume they were stored properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

Question about dust spotting B+W.

This is a partially processed negative. Shot on Ilford 3200 B+W.

I've been noticing that the spot healing tool does a really poor job when it comes to grain like this. It basically just creates a blur, which is fine for color films at a lower ISO. For this though, it seems pretty noticeable. Is there a better way to do dust spotting? Should I just clone stamp it?

It's particularly noticeable to the left of his head.

img007 by spikemccue, on Flickr

I use the healing tool (not the spot healing tool) with clone stamp and content-aware fill for larger sections as needed.