Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
God bless Baywatching and God bless Baywatch in all its weird, "we run out of lifeguarding plots 3 episodes into the first season" glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Goodness that's a lot of Baywatch questions. Thank god I'm the foremost Baywatch expert!

Mr. Fowl posted:

What on earth is Hobie short for? Hobarth?
It's short for Hobart, which is the German version of Hubert. Germany loves them some Baywatch!

HopperUK posted:

Mitch in that wig. Has that come up yet? Is Mitch dressed as a lady? Is the Hoff playing Mitch's own sister? If not, why not?
That was from Money, Honey in which Mitch becomes an action star. He wears the wig in a hilarious montage! I already covered that one, so here ya go:
http://phelous.com/2015/03/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-money-honey/

If you want Mitch dressed as a lady you gotta watch Baywatch Nights "Kind of a Drag," where Mitch goes undercover as a drag queen. You can also see David Hasselhoff dressed as his mother in The Dancing Ninja, a movie that was originally called Beverly Hills Ninja 2.

That is an episode in which the characters play a hilarious prank on Mitch that involves him doing some intense physical training. I forget what the prank actually is, but his mugging face to the camera there is classic.

That has the distinction of being my favorite Baywatch shot of all time. The episode involves Mitch going skydiving for the first time and something goes wrong where he dies. Then there's a clip show and it turns out it was all in his head!

EDIT: Oh, and you asked about the Pamela Anderson stuff, let's see...

- Pamela Anderson (CJ) with the saxophone is her introduction to the show. She's playing the sax by a river. I'd give you context if the show gave us any.
-Mitch and CJ dancing. It is a dance contest, and CJ's top comes down. Stephanie shields Hobie's fragile young eyes.
-CJ doing the Charlie's Angels pose. The episode is a parody of Charlie's Angels inside another character's head.
-CJ with a newspaper. I forget anything about this one except she's undercover for something in a montage.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Miss Wallace posted:

Goodness that's a lot of Baywatch questions. Thank god I'm the foremost Baywatch expert!

It's short for Hobart, which is the German version of Hubert. Germany loves them some Baywatch!
I have no idea if the other answers are made up too, because I know poo poo about Baywatch, but the German version of Hubert is Hubert.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Ah you're right, sorry I got mixed up. Hobart is Dutch actually I think, which segues into Hubert and there's the German connection. I made a joke about this in the Pilot review I think, but it's been awhile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jimi Jamison (who sang the theme song) died last year. He was also lead vocalist in Survivor after Dave Bickler left (i.e. he's the one who didn't record "Eye of the Tiger").

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The skydiving one amazes me because it looks so much like he isn't skydiving and his top zip is down slightly because gently caress the cold temps Hoff has got chest hair that must be seen.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I just want to know in what context Neumie is dancing around in coconuts and a grass skirt.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Ah you're right, sorry I got mixed up. Hobart is Dutch actually I think, which segues into Hubert and there's the German connection. I made a joke about this in the Pilot review I think, but it's been awhile.

Baywatch question, what are your thoughts on a Baywatch movie? I know Tom Lennon and Robert Garant wrote a script years ago, I also heard that Dwayne Johnson is signed on, but the writers are different. This was in October so I don't know when this would go into development or be released.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-moves-forward-baywatch-movie-707530

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

I just want to know in what context Neumie is dancing around in coconuts and a grass skirt.

It's a luau party. Wish there was a funnier context to it. Newmie gets a pretty funny subplot that involves him wearing humorous toupees at one point though.

PassTheRemote posted:

Baywatch question, what are your thoughts on a Baywatch movie? I know Tom Lennon and Robert Garant wrote a script years ago, I also heard that Dwayne Johnson is signed on, but the writers are different. This was in October so I don't know when this would go into development or be released.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-moves-forward-baywatch-movie-707530

Um, there's only one Baywatch Movie, and that's Hawaiian Wedding. :colbert:

Seriously though, if it's anything like the Starsky and Hutch movie it might be kind of funny. It seems to be sort of in development atm so who knows if or when it'll ever come out. I'll definitely watch it though. Same goes for The B Team, an unofficial Baywatch movie that's in the works involving a lot of the Baywatch cast.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
On a side note, you're one of my favorite internet people, Lupa, and I'm glad you're so active here.

JayO too.

Also KKall.

Lotta quality internet people in this topic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Bless you and your Hoff trivia, Lupa. Thanks! :)

Edit: Googled the Nights episode.

:stare:

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 10, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

It's a luau party. Wish there was a funnier context to it. Newmie gets a pretty funny subplot that involves him wearing humorous toupees at one point though.

Um, there's only one Baywatch Movie, and that's Hawaiian Wedding. :colbert:

Seriously though, if it's anything like the Starsky and Hutch movie it might be kind of funny. It seems to be sort of in development atm so who knows if or when it'll ever come out. I'll definitely watch it though. Same goes for The B Team, an unofficial Baywatch movie that's in the works involving a lot of the Baywatch cast.

I would take a movie where Mitch tries to steal a save from Dwayne Johnson.

Here is an article regarding the Tom Lennon Script: http://splitsider.com/2013/08/tom-lennon-and-ben-garant-share-details-about-their-baywatch-movie/

There was an excerpt that was very interesting:

quote:

Lennon and Garant watched a bunch of old episodes of Baywatch to write the script and were surprised by how strange some of the plotlines were. "The plot of one of the episodes in the first season is that there’s a giant squid stealing people’s surfboards," says Garant. "That’s a real episode." Lennon adds, "It’s called 'Tentacles Pt. 1' and 'Tentacles Pt. 2.' It’s an insane series! They introduced the idea of a ghost in the second season."

:stare: Surfboard Stealing Squid?!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

On a side note, you're one of my favorite internet people, Lupa, and I'm glad you're so active here.

JayO too.

Also KKall.

Thanks a lot man!

HopperUK posted:

Bless you and your Hoff trivia, Lupa. Thanks! :)

Edit: Googled the Nights episode.

:stare:

That's during the good season of Nights too.

PassTheRemote posted:

:stare: Surfboard Stealing Squid?!
I don't know what the guy's talking about saying it's in season one, because that episode is from season 4. And yes indeed there's a giant squid! There's also one where they encounter a deadly man-o-war jellyfish and it looks like this:

The thing about the ghosts is also season 4. If you want to get technical there's the episode where Eddie may or may not have seen a ghost in season 1 (the one that kills Kirby), but season 4 has an episode about blatant possession. Like there's no ifs on that one, it's literally a ghost.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Mr. Fowl posted:

JayO too.

Also KKall.

Thank you! That's very nice of you to say. I like you guys too. :kimchi:

I'm currently finishing up Spring Anime Preview Guide and if it interests people at all, I will make a post about that, since the Winter Season's post seemed to give people some cool new junk to look at. Out of curiosity, I took a look back at my "Top 5's based on the first episode" from said Winter post. Wanted to see how my perception/recommendation has changed, if it has, after the entire show aired in full.

JesuOtaku posted:

1. Yurikuma Arashi (surrealist social allegory auteur insanity by the director of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum)
2. Death Parade (psychological horror/episodic character melodrama in the vein of The Twilight Zone, notably aimed at an adult audience rather than the standard teen nerds)
3. Maria the Virgin Witch (character drama with historical fantasy setting, takes place during the Hundred Years' War in France except with witches and succubi)
4. Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! (magical girl parody where the "magical girls" are boys being forced to play the concept straight)
5. Assassination Classroom (teen-aimed comedy/action/drama, standard shonen manga stuff but with a good hook)

Good sequels airing this Winter for good shows: Tokyo Ghoul, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Durarara!! are all coming back and headed for big explosive finales in the near future. Aldnoah.Zero is also back if you like irony-watching monumentally stupid trainwrecks. (Which I do, and hoooooooo boy that show.)

Yurikuma Arashi turned out to be a masterpiece if you're into Ikuhara's insane surrealism. I think it was his most cohesive work yet, probably because it was his shortest at only 12 episodes. But drat, shine on you crazy diamond. The best cartoon about lesbian bears you'll ever watch.

Death Parade was a very solid supernatural serial drama with great production values and a powerful message all the way through, but I wasn't as personally touched or affected by it as a lot of other people. Also, it hints at underlying dark secrets in the system and worldbuilding stuff but never delivers, maybe in the interest of a season two or something. From a critical standpoint, I thought it was really strong, but on a personal level, I think a stronger contiguous story would have worked better for me. It's a really good show for anime newbies though, and it's even dubbed into English already thanks to licensor Funimation's simuldubbing thing they're doing now.

Maria the Virgin Witch was low-key but really outstanding. Probably one of the most purposefully feminist anime I've yet seen, with some really harsh and striking things to say about the church, how it's affected society's views of women and martyrdom, and stuff like that. If you're looking for a big fantasy story set during the Hundred Years' War, this ain't it, but if you want a strong, thoughtful character piece, this one was solid all the way through and really touched my heart.

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! turned out to be a much more... "Japanese" comedy than I was expecting. The first episode is more approachably funny in general than the rest of the series, which is more pun-heavy and reliant on Japanese comedic archetypes and routines, probably because the series' animation budget was really conservative. I've seen enough good and bad Japanese comedy to recognize the good stuff, and this was strong, witty dialogue (the show's doing well in Japan) but if you have to explain to someone why a thing is funny because of a language/cultural barrier, it doesn't really work. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to many people thanks to its culturally specific sense of humor and fairly low production values. It has a great final episode twist, though! The evil magical boys were created as part of an intergalactic reality show, and the good magical boys were created by an alien "animal rights group" (humans being the animals) in opposition to the program, actively trying to derail it while it's still tied up in legal. It has stellar ratings, so they keep airing it in the meanwhile but...anyway, it was a great moronic note to end the whole silly show on.

Assassination Classroom is still running, and there's not much to say about it? It's a shonen comedy, and a well-executed one, but it's not nearly as weird as its premise could have made it, so most of it is standard anime school plotlines with just enough of a twist on formula to still be unique and fun without breaking out of genre convention at all. It's solid, but it's nothing to write home about either, it feels so firmly like "nice show for 13-year olds" like Naruto or One Piece etc., that I can't add much to it. If you like lighthearted shonen stuff in general, you'll like it. If you don't, it's not quite different enough to change your mind.

Tokyo Ghoul basically tore my heart out and stomped on it (in a good way), but once again I'm not sure if I would wholeheartedly recommend it or not because it's such a weird truncated adaptation, hindered by how much it's trying to cram into each episode and a really dodgy animation budget, but elevated by smart direction and character writing. It's absolutely a love it or hate it show.

Jojo's is Jojo's, and that's just loving awesome, not much else to it.

Durarara!!'s long-awaited return was a huge letdown thanks to some shockingly poor animation and complete autopilot direction. Even when the material they were adapting was really good, the blah execution just sucked all the life out of it. Pity.

Aldnoah.Zero went from hilarious hatewatch to just plain dull as they repeated the same story beats every episode and eventually just sort of ended it with Insufferably Perfect Emotionless Hero having a straight-up Magneto/Xavier chess moment with Tragically Maligned Emotional Villain. It was bad in season one, but it was fun-bad. Season 2 is fun-bad for just a couple episodes before they just kinda start wandering in "lol now what" circles and slap a conclusion onto it.

So yeah! It was a really good Winter, with a few shows that even became my all-time favorites. I'll have Top 5's for Spring in a couple days after everything has fully aired. :)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 10, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
-

Jay O posted:

Tokyo Ghoul basically tore my heart out and stomped on it (in a good way), but once again I'm not sure if I would wholeheartedly recommend it or not because it's such a weird truncated adaptation, hindered by how much it's trying to cram into each episode and a really dodgy animation budget, but elevated by smart direction and character writing. It's absolutely a love it or hate it show.
My friend who's into that series said there's an absolutely ridiculous episode to chapter ratio. I couldn't get past the first episode or two though, honestly. It just wasn't very fun and it's got terrible style and designs.

Jay O posted:

Hell yeah. :krad:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

WickedHate posted:

My friend who's into that series said there's an absolutely ridiculous episode to chapter ratio. I couldn't get past the first episode or two though, honestly. It just wasn't very fun and it's got terrible style and designs.

I would argue that it has a budget not fully equipped to articulate its designs, and the designs themselves are actually really cool, but that's just me. When they are able to animate them properly, the show looks fantastic. The final episode was gorgeous and the "centipede" fight followed by the "owl" appearance in the middle of the show was B A N A N A S. But yeah, it's a tricky show to recommend. I put it in a bowl with Trigun and Angel Beats! as "anime where I liked the key aspects so much that the dodgy execution doesn't faze me," and those two anime also have a passionate cult following, so yeah, it's gonna be love it or hate it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Jay O posted:

I'm currently finishing up Spring Anime Preview Guide and if it interests people at all, I will make a post about that, since the Winter Season's post seemed to give people some cool new junk to look at. Out of curiosity, I took a look back at my "Top 5's based on the first episode" from said Winter post. Wanted to see how my perception/recommendation has changed, if it has, after the entire show aired in full.

Durarara!!'s long-awaited return was a huge letdown thanks to some shockingly poor animation and complete autopilot direction. Even when the material they were adapting was really good, the blah execution just sucked all the life out of it. Pity.

That's unfortunate to hear about Durarara!! The first show is one of my faves. Didn't even know a sequel was in the works, let alone already out. I still might check it out though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks a lot man!

That's during the good season of Nights too.

I don't know what the guy's talking about saying it's in season one, because that episode is from season 4. And yes indeed there's a giant squid! There's also one where they encounter a deadly man-o-war jellyfish and it looks like this:

The thing about the ghosts is also season 4. If you want to get technical there's the episode where Eddie may or may not have seen a ghost in season 1 (the one that kills Kirby), but season 4 has an episode about blatant possession. Like there's no ifs on that one, it's literally a ghost.

As far as the Man-O-War, here is a picture of one, courtesy of WIkipedia:

It has no natural means of propulsion( the top part is a gas bladder of some kind), unlike regular jellyfish, so the prop is somewhat similar to how they look like in the wild. Except it is missing that sweet neon color scheme, nature's way of saying "see this, don't gently caress with it".

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Personally, Cute High was my More Better Anime of the Season.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

PassTheRemote posted:

As far as the Man-O-War, here is a picture of one, courtesy of WIkipedia:

It has no natural means of propulsion( the top part is a gas bladder of some kind), unlike regular jellyfish, so the prop is somewhat similar to how they look like in the wild. Except it is missing that sweet neon color scheme, nature's way of saying "see this, don't gently caress with it".

Technically, jellyfish in general don't propel themselves purposefully. They move their bodies in a way that causes the water around them, and any potential food stuffs, to be pulled into their stingers. They move somewhat as a result of this behavior.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welcome to the Basement watches Catch-22

I'll be honest, I wasn't too big a fan of the movie. For the comedy drama set during the wartimes I vastly prefer M.A.S.H. .

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
On the way home from work today I heard an NPR interview with the founder of Molossia, the "micronation" Channel Awesome "invaded" in Kickassia. It's hard to believe that Kickassia is already 5 years old and the interview (which didn't mention the film) made me weirdly nostalgic for it despite it not being very good.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Despite being around since Doug started bothering James, the only anniversary I've seen is the first one. That was enough for me. I don't think I ever even watched the first episode of any of them. The crossover content they generated was pretty neat, though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

On the way home from work today I heard an NPR interview with the founder of Molossia, the "micronation" Channel Awesome "invaded" in Kickassia. It's hard to believe that Kickassia is already 5 years old and the interview (which didn't mention the film) made me weirdly nostalgic for it despite it not being very good.

Yeah I heard that too. Not sure how anyone made it more than a few seconds into Kickassia though.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I watched the Brawl. It was short, had a lot of cool people in it and seemingly concluded this AVGN Vs. NC fake feud, but it wasn't very good.

I watched Kickassia. I had never seen a project of this scale, and was very interested in what a full-length Channel Awesome movie would look like, but it wasn't very good.

I watched Suburban Knights. I figured, eh, they probably learned a lot from Kickassia and this one will be a lot better, and hey, Lupa's in this one, but it wasn't very good.

I watched To Boldly Flee. AAAAAAAAAAUGH, but hey, Oancitizen, JO and CR are in this, I like them, but it. Wasn't. Very. Good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Welcome to the Basement watches Catch-22

I'll be honest, I wasn't too big a fan of the movie. For the comedy drama set during the wartimes I vastly prefer M.A.S.H. .

They came out the same year, and the only reason Gary Burghoff ended up as Radar was because the original Radar quit to be some minor character in Catch-22.

Catch-22 is great though: I had no idea there were so many famous actors in the drat thing. It's almost It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World-levels of cameoing. It's basically been forgotten, but at the time it was a prestige picture meant to encapsulate everyone's feelings about Vietnam. Nobody thought MASH was going to be any good or be remembered at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. I agree with them that Catch-22 is a better film and had a stronger dramatic core but I always have a problem with assholes not getting some sort of comeuppance, even if it's something small, in films. The film certainly sticks with you better but, to me, I found M.A.S.H to be more enjoyable. I got a lot of laughs out of both but I found the devil may care attitudes of the leads in M.A.S.H. to be really appealing and entertaining.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh god why have I not watched Baywatching before now? This poo poo is incredible.

Edit: Also, the cousin in The Drowning Pool who looked like Cumberbatch played Eddington the terrorist on Deep Space Nine.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 11, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jay O posted:

Thank you! That's very nice of you to say. I like you guys too. :kimchi:

Yurikuma Arashi turned out to be a masterpiece if you're into Ikuhara's insane surrealism. I think it was his most cohesive work yet, probably because it was his shortest at only 12 episodes. But drat, shine on you crazy diamond. The best cartoon about lesbian bears you'll ever watch.

Death Parade was a very solid supernatural serial drama with great production values and a powerful message all the way through, but I wasn't as personally touched or affected by it as a lot of other people. Also, it hints at underlying dark secrets in the system and worldbuilding stuff but never delivers, maybe in the interest of a season two or something. From a critical standpoint, I thought it was really strong, but on a personal level, I think a stronger contiguous story would have worked better for me. It's a really good show for anime newbies though, and it's even dubbed into English already thanks to licensor Funimation's simuldubbing thing they're doing now.

Maria the Virgin Witch was low-key but really outstanding. Probably one of the most purposefully feminist anime I've yet seen, with some really harsh and striking things to say about the church, how it's affected society's views of women and martyrdom, and stuff like that. If you're looking for a big fantasy story set during the Hundred Years' War, this ain't it, but if you want a strong, thoughtful character piece, this one was solid all the way through and really touched my heart.

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! turned out to be a much more... "Japanese" comedy than I was expecting. The first episode is more approachably funny in general than the rest of the series, which is more pun-heavy and reliant on Japanese comedic archetypes and routines, probably because the series' animation budget was really conservative. I've seen enough good and bad Japanese comedy to recognize the good stuff, and this was strong, witty dialogue (the show's doing well in Japan) but if you have to explain to someone why a thing is funny because of a language/cultural barrier, it doesn't really work. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to many people thanks to its culturally specific sense of humor and fairly low production values. It has a great final episode twist, though! The evil magical boys were created as part of an intergalactic reality show, and the good magical boys were created by an alien "animal rights group" (humans being the animals) in opposition to the program, actively trying to derail it while it's still tied up in legal. It has stellar ratings, so they keep airing it in the meanwhile but...anyway, it was a great moronic note to end the whole silly show on.

Assassination Classroom is still running, and there's not much to say about it? It's a shonen comedy, and a well-executed one, but it's not nearly as weird as its premise could have made it, so most of it is standard anime school plotlines with just enough of a twist on formula to still be unique and fun without breaking out of genre convention at all. It's solid, but it's nothing to write home about either, it feels so firmly like "nice show for 13-year olds" like Naruto or One Piece etc., that I can't add much to it. If you like lighthearted shonen stuff in general, you'll like it. If you don't, it's not quite different enough to change your mind.

Aldnoah.Zero went from hilarious hatewatch to just plain dull as they repeated the same story beats every episode and eventually just sort of ended it with Insufferably Perfect Emotionless Hero having a straight-up Magneto/Xavier chess moment with Tragically Maligned Emotional Villain. It was bad in season one, but it was fun-bad. Season 2 is fun-bad for just a couple episodes before they just kinda start wandering in "lol now what" circles and slap a conclusion onto it.

So yeah! It was a really good Winter, with a few shows that even became my all-time favorites. I'll have Top 5's for Spring in a couple days after everything has fully aired. :)

G no Reconguista is missing from that list. :colbert:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

MonsieurChoc posted:

G no Reconguista is missing from that list. :colbert:

I do genuinely feel bad for the ten Gundam fans that live in the west when everyone ignores their "big in Japan but nowhere else" franchise. Also the five Macross fans.

Japanese Star Trek fans apparently face this woe in reverse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Robotech and Macross Plus are all I need to scratch that itch. And Gifs from Frontier where a city sized battlship robot sucker punches an equally large robot and then disgorges starfighters inside it like a swarm of angry bees.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kickassia will always hold a special place in my heart for introducing me to Brad/Cinema Snob, and I couldn't help but like the overacted Spoony-To-Insano transformation.

Otherwise, it gave me this really weird "I don't know which is more embarrassing, the people doing this or me watching it" feeling and I never watched any of the Big Events after that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 11, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jay O posted:

I do genuinely feel bad for the ten Gundam fans that live in the west when everyone ignores their "big in Japan but nowhere else" franchise. Also the five Macross fans.

Japanese Star Trek fans apparently face this woe in reverse.

Well, that's kind of an rear end in a top hat answer to a jokey comment.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, that's kind of an rear end in a top hat answer to a jokey comment.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I'm just saying what everyone knows about Gundam fandom in the US: it's small. Every season there's a Gundam thing, anime fans will be talking about all manner of other shows and then inevitably one person will pipe in "And the new Gundam!" and it's like "..." Like clockwork.

I don't mean it as an insult! There's a new Uta no Prince-sama season starting now, which I am also really excited about and also is huge in Japan and nowhere else. I'm like "WOO UTAPRI" and everybody's like "..." See also my affection for Lupin and Detective Conan. Big in Japan. America don't care.

Some things have niche fanbases even within a niche fanbase.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jay O posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I'm just saying what everyone knows about Gundam fandom in the US: it's small. Every season there's a Gundam thing, anime fans will be talking about all manner of other shows and then inevitably one person will pipe in "And the new Gundam!" and it's like "..." Like clockwork.

I don't mean it as an insult! There's a new Uta no Prince-sama season starting now, which I am also really excited about and also is huge in Japan and nowhere else. I'm like "WOO UTAPRI" and everybody's like "..." See also my affection for Lupin and Detective Conan. Big in Japan. America don't care.

Some things have niche fanbases even within a niche fanbase.

That's... well, that's a really weird answer. Like, at least half the things on that list are completely obscure shows nobody watched outside of japan, and probably weren't that popular within Japan itself. And is popularity even an important reason to care about a show or not? Completely baffling to me.

I mean, what is even the point you're trying/were trying to make? :confused:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's... well, that's a really weird answer. Like, at least half the things on that list are completely obscure shows nobody watched outside of japan, and probably weren't that popular within Japan itself. And is popularity even an important reason to care about a show or not? Completely baffling to me.

I mean, what is even the point you're trying/were trying to make? :confused:

Originally my point was that every time AOTY or AOTS or just plain "what are you watching?" discussions come up, there's one "Gundam guy," and I was trying to say I genuinely feel for that guy, because it must be awfully tiring to be the one Gundam guy, but gently caress it, it's not important. Forget I said anything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jay O posted:

Originally my point was that every time AOTY or AOTS or just plain "what are you watching?" discussions come up, there's one "Gundam guy," and I was trying to say I genuinely feel for that guy, because it must be awfully tiring to be the one Gundam guy, but gently caress it, it's not important. Forget I said anything.

Nah, that's ok, I was the one making a random unneeded comment on someone else's list. You probably never watched it and have no interest in watching it, so why should you give a gently caress about random internet rear end in a top hat?

Anyway, sorry for the interruption.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
I feel like I should stop posting in this thread and yet for some reason I always post anyway and you see what happens. :negative:

It is me, I am the cancer that is killing the Internet Critic Thread.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 11, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just have this bad habit to try to talk about stuff I love to people even when it doesn't fit or they clearly don't care.

Like, G-Reco for example. From my perspective Tomino is one of the greats. He's one of the msot influential directors in the field, did some really great and groundbreaking work, including the original Gundam that became one of the biggest and most influential (and most referenced!) anime franchise. Him returning to Gundam should be huge! Especially after Turn A, which is probably the best Gundam show ever. It helps that (in my opinion) G-Reco was pretty great! Not amazing or perfect, but still pretty drat great.

But, taking five minutes to think about it from an outside perspective, Gundam is a niche franchise that never became popular in the west, and the few times it almost did were series done by people other than Tomino. In fact, none of Tomino's work were ever popular in America, and some people probably only know him as the dude who did Garzey's Wings. So why should they care about this obscure series done on the cheap?

So yeah. I am the Gundam guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because Garzey's Wing is batshit insane at the same time as being incompetent. And it has some fantastic line reads.

• Locked thread