Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's basically the same joke as the art car scene, innit? Some people make a chia-pet out of a VW Beetle or glue a thousand Barbie heads to a car, some people make ridiculous lowriders, some people do donks. I'm sure they all started out seriously, but nowadays all of them have an ironic element of "let's see how far I can take this." Sort of like Bosozoku -- started out as basically punk through the filter of Japan Is Weird, and now they're just competing for who can be the wackiest.

I think the drift, stance, and brotruck scenes haven't, in the majority, wrapped around into intentional irony yet. Actually brotrucks may be on their second or third loop back into seriousness -- the various Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) and the monster-truck sport in general was the original descending into irony. There's now way this poo poo was ever intended to be taken seriously:

That's the vibe I get from the branded donks -- the '90s arms race of bigger and bigger wheels has stabilized, and now the game is to take it as far as they can.

And now I want to see a steam-locomotive body on a Crown Vic chassis with giant wheels* (with spinners, of course) and corporate branding. Possibly with Bosozoku-style exhaust and aero. And it can jump. :v:

*it's been so long since it was really a fad around here I don't know the current ceiling, but they all look to have about the same size -- I see the branded donks, but remember back when the trend was to have giant descriptions of your wheel size instead of logos? Of course, I remember when 20" was big:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGtiEXQyF0

Edit: also found this while searching for "tank monster truck":

That's ... exactly the opposite of what was I was looking for. And also seems somewhat impractical. According to the guy who posted it in a thread about wacky armoured vehicles, it was an early attempt at a mine-clearing Sherman.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bro truckers take their poo poo incredibly seriously and will threaten to find your house and kick your rear end if you make any sort of implication about them compensating for something with their dumb jacked up chromed out truck. It's really quite funny.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Bro truckers take their poo poo incredibly seriously and will threaten to find your house and kick your rear end if you make any sort of implication about them compensating for something with their dumb jacked up chromed out truck. It's really quite funny.
Doesn't your house require you drive on a surface that would meet the classification of "off-road" to get to it?

You're probably safe.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Change that to any other group of car "enthusiasts" and it's still the same. Find your local hellaflush fan and explain to him why he's now riding around in a metal coffin, you'll get the same vitriolic response.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DiggityDoink posted:

Change that to any other group of car "enthusiasts" and it's still the same. Find your local hellaflush fan and explain to him why he's now riding around in a metal coffin, you'll get the same vitriolic response.

bro truck owners are the only 'enthusiast' group that i'd actually worry about someone actually getting into a fight/roadrage/shooting you for saying something about their car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

No, brotrucks and hellaflush are a special sort of....stupid.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

bro truck owners are the only 'enthusiast' group that i'd actually worry about someone actually getting into a fight/roadrage/shooting you for saying something about their car.

Seriously. They're the type of people that think rolling coal on a Prius is funny. They're like children, but the kind of children that make you think, "Wow, children are kind of like psychopaths."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neptr posted:

Seriously. They're the type of people that think rolling coal on a Prius is funny. They're like children, but the kind of children that make you think, "Wow, children are kind of like psychopaths."

I had a guy in a lifted Ram roll coal 2' from my face while I was in the bike lane on my road bike. That was a lot of fun. If only he'd have known that I owned a lifted truck on brostars at the time, I might have been spared.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I had a guy in a lifted Ram roll coal 2' from my face while I was in the bike lane on my road bike. That was a lot of fun. If only he'd have known that I owned a lifted truck on brostars at the time, I might have been spared.

Next time you'll buy a stroller that rolls coal

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

eyebeem posted:

I see no issue here

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neptr posted:

Without a doubt brotruck drivers are the most dangerous drivers I see in the pacific northwest. With the media hype you'd think it was people on cell phones, but hell no. I've been nearly rammed off the road, tailgated, merged into, etc by people in trucks that eclipse my crossover.

... and anger issues. Holy poo poo they're always mad. Yes truck guy, the 5 is always crap, we know, and we accept it. Please do not murder me over it.

Even the ricers dodging in and out of traffic aren't that bad and far rarer anymore.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

CommieGIR posted:

No, brotrucks and hellaflush are a special sort of....stupid.
Got me thinking, there's gotta be a horribly stupid way to make a hellaflush brotruck. Fractions of an inch of ground clearance, horrible suspension so the axle is above the roof, or a complex as hell arrangement without an axle in the middle and right-angle gearing that goes straight up the back of the wheel.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Fire Storm posted:

Got me thinking, there's gotta be a horribly stupid way to make a hellaflush brotruck. Fractions of an inch of ground clearance, horrible suspension so the axle is above the roof, or a complex as hell arrangement without an axle in the middle and right-angle gearing that goes straight up the back of the wheel.

Go whole hog and put the cabin Underneath the frame, on ultralow profile agrotire slicks. Make it roll the blue smoke, yet sound like a scooter. And without the body in the way you can at least get a 45 degree stance for ultrahandling. Hang truck nuts on the front of this monstrosity on the frame, and be sure to put a baby on board sticker/placard in every window.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

kastein posted:

A few months ago I had to pick up a fare at the bar who had gotten into an argument with the bartender because the cops showed up to question him about a complaint of him driving into a ditch on his way into the bar. The bartender didn't call the cops on him but he thought he did.

Before they left he went and got something out of his truck and locked it up. A ridiculous jacked up Titan with no less than 4 LED light bars. The whole ride back to his house he kept saying "IF ANYONE MESSES WITH MY TRUCK IM GOIN OFF BRO I SWEAR IM GOIN OFF"

Firmly under the impression that anyone but him gives a hot gently caress about his giant brotruck. Sorry dude, nobody cares.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

A few months ago I had to pick up a fare at the bar who had gotten into an argument with the bartender because the cops showed up to question him about a complaint of him driving into a ditch on his way into the bar. The bartender didn't call the cops on him but he thought he did.

Before they left he went and got something out of his truck and locked it up. A ridiculous jacked up Titan with no less than 4 LED light bars. The whole ride back to his house he kept saying "IF ANYONE MESSES WITH MY TRUCK IM GOIN OFF BRO I SWEAR IM GOIN OFF"

Firmly under the impression that anyone but him gives a hot gently caress about his giant brotruck. Sorry dude, nobody cares.

So you gonna post a picture of the dick you drew on the tailgate or what?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was gonna say that I sincerely hope someone did mess with his stupid-rear end truck.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Go whole hog and put the cabin Underneath the frame, on ultralow profile agrotire slicks. Make it roll the blue smoke, yet sound like a scooter. And without the body in the way you can at least get a 45 degree stance for ultrahandling. Hang truck nuts on the front of this monstrosity on the frame, and be sure to put a baby on board sticker/placard in every window.

Work with me here, agrotire 6-ish foot wheels, portal axles to raise the driveline even higher, then hang the body underneath the driveline, upside down

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fire Storm posted:

You are basically describing "cencal style trucks" here.

It is pretty loving retarded even for brotruckers.

https://facebook.com/CenCalTrucks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

You are basically describing "cencal style trucks" here.

It is pretty loving retarded even for brotruckers.

https://facebook.com/CenCalTrucks

I found this on there. I'd be terrified to drive it over 5mph because it looks like the suspension would collapse under the slightest stress.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

88h88 posted:

I found this on there. I'd be terrified to drive it over 5mph because it looks like the suspension would collapse under the slightest stress.
Good lord that looks flimsy as gently caress :gonk:

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

It's that really a F450, too? poo poo...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting how people who dick around with cars in third world countries do astoundingly dangerous twine-and-ducttape type stuff because they have no money or resources, and these guys do the exact same poo poo just with gaudy paint and chrome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Friar Zucchini posted:

Hey bro I dunno what your problem is but if you keep running your mouth about my ride I'll find your house and kick your rear end

*flips down white-rimmed sunglasses, flexes*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

No no no. You hang the truck nuts from the tow hook, which is mounted to the side of the trailer hitch. They're drift charms, you see.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
K'NEX PERFORMANCE RACING

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently driving to Vegas and saw this amazing thing on the road. Somehow this truck was driving straight in its lane at 70mph.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

BoostCreep posted:

I'm currently driving to Vegas and saw this amazing thing on the road. Somehow this truck was driving straight in its lane at 70mph.

Okay whats the problem?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Okay whats the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl5mbZ_5CMQ

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Straight line in its lane. Whats the problem?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

He had to have hit something to jack the rear up and make it drive like that; it's unlikely to be the only problem on the truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I see that on old trucks sometimes where the wheels don't seem to line up anymore but that's a pretty severe example.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wouldn't that just be the rear axle walking sideways from either being excessively lowered or some sort of bent linkage?

I don't know how GMCs of that vintage locate their axle but I would assume it's a Watts link or something that's gotten bent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's probably just leaf springs which means no need for anything to locate it side to side really.

That is probably due to either a bent frame or damaged/misaligned front suspension.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

It's probably just leaf springs which means no need for anything to locate it side to side really.

That is probably due to either a bent frame or damaged/misaligned front suspension.

Comedy option: all of the above.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tractors count as cars, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9qnhKYt4f0

I guess there's nothing wrong with the tractor itself, but everything else in frame is pretty terrible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Yeah, post-'72 any GM truck is going to be on leaf springs (I think some of the GMT800-and-newer SUVs have toyed with trailing arms / four links, but that GMT400 is absolutely leaf-sprung). Which, no matter how worn the bushings in each end of the spring get, should never allow that kind of lateral movement

For that truck to be crabbing that badly, it's been hit hard and just had enough put back together to look presentable. If they're willing to cut that big of a corner, it's inevitable that nearly any other corner possible has been cut on that truck, so its very presence outside of a scrapyard represents considerable danger to anyone else on the road in its immediate vicinity.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Tractors count as cars, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9qnhKYt4f0

I guess there's nothing wrong with the tractor itself, but everything else in frame is pretty terrible.

All I see in this video is the tree grabbing the tractor and repeatedly smacking the guy while yelling "STOP IT!!"

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
If I have another dealer say to me "We don't do Corvette test drives, people don't need to test drive a Corvette to know they want one" I'll blow a head gasket. Reason 21315 why Long Island sucks.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shodanjr_gr posted:

If I have another dealer say to me "We don't do Corvette test drives, people don't need to test drive a Corvette to know they want one" I'll blow a head gasket. Reason 21315 why Long Island sucks.

I'm surprised they don't take a page out of the Harley book and include stops at the local 7-11 and mandatory revving at stop lights in the corporate test drive how-to-sell booklet.

When I test drove an FR-S, the salesguy handed me the keys, told me he'd hang out in the dealership, and told me where I could find an empty industrial area that was good for drifting and being an idiot.

So I went there, and was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

eyebeem posted:

I'm surprised they don't take a page out of the Harley book and include stops at the local 7-11 and mandatory revving at stop lights in the corporate test drive how-to-sell booklet.

When I test drove an FR-S, the salesguy handed me the keys, told me he'd hang out in the dealership, and told me where I could find an empty industrial area that was good for drifting and being an idiot.

So I went there, and was one.

I wish that were the case...to be fair, I've had out-of-state dealers offer me test drives but LI dealers are major jerks about it.

One dealer having a show-room C7 with a very specific exterior design. He claimed that "they don't do test drives so that they don't put miles on the vehicles". A few days later, I see a same-looking C7 parked outside a local bar. I would bet money this was the showroom model I was denied a test drive to.

Maybe I should just buy and turbo a couple of FR-Ses instead...