Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if perhaps just turning off all education and police can do it, together with waiting for a generation or two to pass. If most of the workplaces in the city requires well-educated workers then having a whole generation uneducated should leave them unable to get a job and turn to crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Sunken highways so that I can build at grade overpasses without terraforming fuckery that I am incapable of performing would be pretty nice

e: Also some kind of modular lane system road builder/intersection builder tool because really intersections are the only thing that matters in this game.

rscott fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 11, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What distance will people generally walk as opposed to taking a car? Trying to figure out how to space public transport.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess
I was able to get that 40% crime rate for two years achievement and unlock the Courthouse by turning off all service buildings (except necessities, water, electricity, graveyards), turning on pet and smoking bans, and dezoning my industry until there was about 35% unemployment, then just waiting. It's totally recoverable and you can do this with a city you plan on playing as long as you don't do it when your population is too high (mine ended up around 5k after the two year span.. can't recall what it started at though). You'll actually make money during it, too. You just have to watch your unemployment like a hawk since that's the key stat in getting the crime rate to get high and stay there. Crime hovered around 55% for me.

EDIT:

Guess I left trash services on too, but I'm pretty sure I reduced all budgets to 50%.

Kikaimegami fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

a7m2 posted:

What distance will people generally walk as opposed to taking a car? Trying to figure out how to space public transport.
I've tended to model my bus stops from how they place them in inner Sydney. So, basically every 3-4 blocks, I may make them wander around suburbs a bit so they serve as many passengers as possible (the longer the route the more buses get allocated, it seems, anyway). I try to have bus stops for different routes to each other, and of course if I have train or metro stations I'll have bus stops close to those.

A few people in this thread have made bus interchanges to link up to and they're generally a good idea.

Every now and again I'll have a look at the overall transit network and try and rationalise things if the city boundaries have grown out and the existing bus routes are all over the place. Even the metro or train networks, if it comes to that, and I've got the money to do so.

I got to one point where I had a dedicated freight line to my original industrial area, but eventually the city grew and I established new industrial areas on the fringes, so I decide to "renew" the centre of town and rezoned it to commercial/office (with some dense residential).

Instead of trashing the railway line, instead I added a few stations along it (I had to do a bit of measuring, as stations need be along a road but I wanted to keep the original rail alignment more or less intact) and it proved pretty useful.

Eh I suppose I'd better do a new LP at some point.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I use bus way-stations and I like it. Basically you have the local lines that go through the district picking up people and then you either link up the central bus stations with each other with long distance lines or have the local busses dump people into rail stations or metro. If you have only one university you can give it a dedicated rail station and/or bus lines from the rail station and it will generate very little car traffic. Just like real life!

My own daily commute is that I hop on a feeder line bus, switch to the metro that's synchronized to the feeder line, and walk from the metro station to work, and I'm pretty pleased you can do that in the game too.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

KKKlean Energy posted:

Is that the same as a phantom traffic jam? I think that's what we know them as here in Britain, and here is a very British man explaining them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVjVVaLe10

Also, on traffic jam discussion, this: :stare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_110_traffic_jam

Yup, exactly! I had someone explain it to me once as a 'compression wave' moving through the traffic flow, which made it immediately click for me. Basically, the closer your roadway is to capacity, the more likely that oscillations between vehicles will combine constructively to create temporary added friction in the roadway.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Anybody know what causes no RCI demand? Trying to get 100K population and demand for everything is zero across the board.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

nope. wish i knew. i think that it comes from zoning too quickly. I've noticed that after you build a few new blocks, you need to let it balance out for a while and demand usually goes back up. When you build too much too fast, it falls and never comes back up. Then you can never really get it kickstarted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bulldozing for a new traffic project tends to flatline demand as well. It recovers if you just let it sit for a while though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

Anybody know what causes no RCI demand? Trying to get 100K population and demand for everything is zero across the board.

Just existing zoned area that is currently unused, as far as I can tell. If there is available area for any given type of land, then the RCI bars will show no demand for that type until the demand for land surpasses the available zoned area. It also seems to get wonky sometimes because industrial/commercial buildings will operate just fine missing a few workers, so there can be no demand for new jobs because there are still plenty available.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
This Catan map looks awesome!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419861445

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I dunno if I like my disasters mod. My bearded dragon jumped on my keyboard and hit F4 after about an hour of work. Apparently that's some sort of "reload" button.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I finally got my landfills emptied and bulldozed after spamming incinerators, and I have the incinerators moved away from the rest of the city so they don't pollute good land. But now I'm afraid I won't have enough garbage trucks. There really should be like a 'garbage truck depot' or something you can place, that just spawns X trucks that pick up garbage and drop it off at the nearest landfill/incinerator without causing pollution.

I am having fun figuring the game out with my horrible grid city. :downs:

All the two-lanes in that park are one-way, so trucks do a big circle with the option of turning off to go back to the city or get on the highway. The middle road connecting the the ramp back to the city is the only one-way heading 'in' instead of 'out' so trucks don't have to do a full circle if they're city-bound.

e: My Residential and Commercial demand is still pretty flat (makes sense for Residential since I've been 'upgrading' to high-density) but Industrial is pretty in-demand. Maybe I just need more jobs so people have money to spend on stuff.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crabrock posted:

I dunno if I like my disasters mod. My bearded dragon jumped on my keyboard and hit F4 after about an hour of work. Apparently that's some sort of "reload" button.

At least you can prevent that one with a full food bowl.

Those blue screen disasters though, they just jump out of nowhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also I've been trying to coax World Machine into being useful for making maps for this game, I'm curious what people think of the results so far:

The hardest part so far is scale, that little tongue of land in the middle I intended to be the start area and about the size of the starting square, but I kinda missed the mark on that one.

I also can't quite get a feel for how close to push the mountains, parts of it are decent but others are way more open than I envisioned.

Oh well. :angel:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Uhh okay I should probably just copy some real world interchange designs instead of trying to wing it.

I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not a naturally gifted traffic engineer. :negative:

I've pretty much eschewed actual interchanges since Cims seem to have GPS built in

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

xzzy posted:

Also I've been trying to coax World Machine into being useful for making maps for this game, I'm curious what people think of the results so far:

The hardest part so far is scale, that little tongue of land in the middle I intended to be the start area and about the size of the starting square, but I kinda missed the mark on that one.

I also can't quite get a feel for how close to push the mountains, parts of it are decent but others are way more open than I envisioned.

Oh well. :angel:

I'd say that the scale could easily be halved. Also, I think that adding more erosion to the mountains and increasing their prominence is a good way of making mountains look larger within the 1000 meter height range you have to work with on the map.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'm not sure why it has taken this long but the following well known interchange is now a thing in this game:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407933700

You're welcome!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

WarLocke posted:

So I finally got my landfills emptied and bulldozed after spamming incinerators, and I have the incinerators moved away from the rest of the city so they don't pollute good land. But now I'm afraid I won't have enough garbage trucks. There really should be like a 'garbage truck depot' or something you can place, that just spawns X trucks that pick up garbage and drop it off at the nearest landfill/incinerator without causing pollution.

This is what Landfills are for. You have landfills scattered around the city in pairs -- when one is full you set it to "empty to other facilities" which will cause its trucks to haul trash to incinerators. The other one provides local garbage service, preventing one massive bottleneck of garbage-truck-mageddon wherever your trash center is.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I've created this unholy mess:

The people seem to like it :shrug:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hubis posted:

This is what Landfills are for. You have landfills scattered around the city in pairs -- when one is full you set it to "empty to other facilities" which will cause its trucks to haul trash to incinerators. The other one provides local garbage service, preventing one massive bottleneck of garbage-truck-mageddon wherever your trash center is.

Can't you just get rid of your landfills if you can afford it? I thought trash incinerators also collected on their own.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Well, it happened. Someone found a way to unlock the entire map for citybuilding.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572

Enjoy your :siren:81 tiles:siren: of city.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

GrossMurpel posted:

Can't you just get rid of your landfills if you can afford it? I thought trash incinerators also collected on their own.

Yeah you should be able to completely replace landfills with incinerators. Cemetery's/crematoriums seem different in that some people insist on being buried so you have to accommodate both but trash ain't fussy. I only have one landfill left in my city which is slowly emptying out, it's caused a complete traffic nightmare and there's nothing I can really do until it's emptied and I can just delete it. It's in a dumb spot and there's no easy way to rejig the traffic so it's taken about 4 years to empty. My new incinerator spot is a separate area off a junction that only garbage trucks and freight train shipments use and it seems to be working out fine so far

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Curvature of Earth posted:

Well, it happened. Someone found a way to unlock the entire map for citybuilding.

They did it...The bastards finally did it!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

8 way intersections are OP. With clever use of one way roads, I've managed to stretch this far further than I thought I'd be able to. Surprisingly, the only areas where I have issues are the spots where I've deviated from the original pattern.

I'm going to try again soon with unlimited money and a better map + 81 tiles. I think the real challenge then will be finding an ideal zoning balance/pattern for the pizza slices.

Edit: this is the only picture I have, but I managed to get it up to ~65k before I got bored.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Without separate turning phases at stoplights, all intersections are China-style multidirectional drive-forward-and-sneak-through-a-gap clusterfucks, and since Cims never get lost or miss a turn, it kind of makes a bizarre sort of sense that 8-way intersections work out that well.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

I look forward to the computer meltdowns.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've been making these kind of intersections enough that I decided to make a template. And since I made it I might as well share it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=423523857

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Jesus you'd have to rent out a supercomputer just to play.

But a city with millions of cims :getin:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You'd probably hit the asset limit before hitting two million.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've been making these kind of intersections enough that I decided to make a template. And since I made it I might as well share it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=423523857

I think you can get rid of the on-ramps and just integrate the circular highway into u-turns and connectors. It sounds dangerous but it works here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

I've added 6 blocks of Office space and 21 blocks of Industry and my population/Residential demand is still flat. :psyduck:

Well, okay, it's started to creep up, but I think that's mostly because I've been displacing people by building more schools/fire stations/parks/etc in the residential block.

I also know when each garbage cycle begins because this poor building is always swimming in it. :v:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I'm not sure why it has taken this long but the following well known interchange is now a thing in this game:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407933700

You're welcome!

This will fit in very well in scenic Spaghettysburg!

Sweet

Mother

of marinara!!!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

hailthefish posted:

Without separate turning phases at stoplights, all intersections are China-style multidirectional drive-forward-and-sneak-through-a-gap clusterfucks, and since Cims never get lost or miss a turn, it kind of makes a bizarre sort of sense that 8-way intersections work out that well.

Making adjacent roads one way in the same direction is kind of amazing because it almost becomes two intersections for the price of one. I've been meaning to take some gifs but I'm lazy

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I bought this game earlier this week and, holy poo poo, as a hardcore classic Sim City fan this is the poo poo and anybody who was a fan of those games and hated Sim City 2013 ("EA is bad" and online issues aside the mechanics were not done well at all) this game takes what Maxis was TRYING to do and got them so very right.

I've just unlocked the dense R/C/I zones just now and I have some pieces of advice for anyone early on (I bombed my first city and doing very well the second time around).

1. Drop all budget spending to 50% for ALL departments when starting and raise whenever citizens bitch to understand where utilities are at
2. Legalize weed :420: ASAP as City Policy because the game says police spending and crime will go up but it never happened for me (I got one police station for my whole city and crime is low and my revenue is steady) and you'll rake in the cash. The only downside is you get annoying tweets from the stoners in your city.
3. When upgrading a power plant (unlocking a gas one while running a coal one early on) don't forget to demolish the previous plant because the new plant can take it all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dirtopia's growing well. That drat harbor had to go tho. It generated so much traffic.

So I shifted it to the other side of the island. The only problem is that there's a gigantic cliff in the way.

Fortunately no cliff is too steep for dirt roads.

Look at that drive. :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
:sbahj: That is beautiful.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

SynthOrange posted:

Fortunately no cliff is too steep for dirt roads.

Look at that drive. :allears:

This is the best thing! Go Donut Van! Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Justin Godscock posted:

2. Legalize weed :420: ASAP as City Policy because the game says police spending and crime will go up

It actually goes down according to the blurb about it in-game. Can't commit crimes when you're passed out on the couch.