Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe they died on Koh Tao and washed up on Koh Samui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Maybe the person was actually murdered in [INSERT NEIGHBORING SE ASIAN NATION] but dumped there by pernicious [NEIGHBORING ASIAN ETHNICITY] to besmirch the reputation of thailand's pristine beaches

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Some Burmese guy did it. He was of average Burmese height and average Burmese build.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Personally I would not swim in the Chao Phraya river but this guy did.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Forget about dying of dysentery, I would be afraid of getting run over by a boat taxi.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Dude did a backflip off a barge into the river.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just came back from Australia, I loving hate aussie teenagers - "LET'S JUST GO TO THAILAND AND GET SUPER DRUNK AND DO FULL MOON PARTIES" :suicide:

Oh why can't people get Pad Thai right but have no problem making Bahn mi in western countries?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

Just came back from Australia, I loving hate aussie teenagers - "LET'S JUST GO TO THAILAND AND GET SUPER DRUNK AND DO FULL MOON PARTIES" :suicide:

Oh why can't people get Pad Thai right but have no problem making Bahn mi in western countries?

:corsair:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

This is true, drunk white people terrify me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It is our true racial trait.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Wondering now if the Koh Samui death really was an accident...Seven injured in Koh Samui explosion http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32259612

No proof it was a bomb yet but the article sure seems to lean that way.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gotta compete with Murder Island somehow.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

mooslims! turrurists!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bomb that injures 18 and that was mounted on what looks like the back of a Hilux is about as Southern Thai Muslim insurgency as it gets.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 11, 2015

kru
Oct 5, 2003

But how will this effect Santa hat sales??

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
It's pretty curious that it happened at the same time a fire (and explosion?) engulfed a co-op in Phun Phin owned by... Suthep.

If it is the southern insurgency, it would be a huge departure not just geographically, but strategically as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Part of the issue with the southern insurgency is that its middle management is deranged 18 year old Thai guys. For a while randomly whacking people with a machete while driving past them on a motorcycle was as organized as they could manage. I don't think this was organized, just a couple of Muslim hicks that decided to give it a go on their own. If upper management were involved the bomb would have actually been effective.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

Maybe the person was actually murdered in [INSERT NEIGHBORING SE ASIAN NATION] but dumped there by pernicious [NEIGHBORING ASIAN ETHNICITY] to besmirch the reputation of thailand's pristine beaches
Those loving [INSERT OTHER NATIONALITY HERE] are such [IMPORTANT THING]-stealing fuckers. No wonder.

CronoGamer posted:

Wondering now if the Koh Samui death really was an accident...Seven injured in Koh Samui explosion http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32259612

No proof it was a bomb yet but the article sure seems to lean that way.
My first thought was to the military raids from a few weeks ago. The military really poured it on thick to make a show after that guy got capped in Bo Phut. This could easily be the local Kamnan crowd saying, "Nunt-uh." I don't know enough to guess, though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bomb that injures 18 and that was mounted on what looks like the back of a Hilux is about as Southern Thai Muslim insurgency as it gets.

Was it "mounted" and was it a "bomb?" Attacking any tourist island isn't just a departure strategically for insurgents but incredibly loving stupid.

I'll wait until actual evidence emerges.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 11, 2015

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
While they mostly don't operate outside of the southern areas, this isn't the first time that someone within the group has tried to move to touristy parts. I think it was December before last, police in Phuket found a truck wired up to explode parked right outside their headquarters. Undetermined whether it was meant to explode but they hosed it up, or whether it was just a "warning" (I think the latter is giving too much credit though). This could have been the same guys but more successfully building the bomb this time, or maybe a different crowd.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's unclear which attacks were attributed to insurgents and which weren't undertaken by them (or which weren't just accidents) quite honestly. There are definitely insurgent attacks in the South over the years, no doubt about it. There is also no doubt that every single fire is 'tentatively associated with the insurgents' as is any explosion or fire in the northern parts of the country.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I think that you're right to be skeptical, but most reports coming out today are saying definitively that it was a bomb, and the article I linked to has been updated with a police video saying that they tracked the car to one stolen from Yala province in the south. I don't know anything about other attacks or the fire in Suthep's coop or whatever though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

My opinion leans toward 'it is a bomb' but I see attacks on tourist areas as a political attack by other parties on the current regime (hitting their pocket book). I wouldn't be surprised if opponents of the current regime outside of the typical Muslim groups did this. That's just me.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Only in Thailand could a singed Starbucks and an injured Italian be described as a major strategic shift in an insurgency.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Possibly also in Italy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They blamed the New Year's Eve Central World bombing on the Southern insurgency when I first got here. I mean it's more likely when it's in Samui, but they're still sort of the go-to bogeyman for unexplained bombings in the way Burmese and Rohingya commit all violent crimes and robberies. Phuket and Samui/Surat are both mobbed up to all get out, so while anything is possible, I tend to assume it has to do with infighting between the local mafia or the local mafia/police fighting the national mafia (ahem) or whatever. Still, maybe the government's telling the truth and this is what they say it is. In a society so opaque when it comes to information, it's impossible to know much of anything, unfortunately.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
You'd think local mafia would be concerned over bombing a tourist venue, though, and wouldn't hit up a shopping center, whereas separatists don't give a gently caress about tourist dollars.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

You'd think local mafia would be concerned over bombing a tourist venue, though, and wouldn't hit up a shopping center, whereas separatists don't give a gently caress about tourist dollars.
Yeah, I generally agree, but it was a pretty low profile venue for tourists. I mean if they wanted to scare away tourists they'd attack a hotel or something. Suthep's OTOP thing could have just been an electrical fire or whatever, but Central Pattana are way on the yellow side (which is why Central World was burned in 2010). If you're trying to send a subtle message to the ruling coalition then a minor car park bombing in a CP venue and a fire in Suthep's OTOP venue aren't too crazy.

My thing with the Southern insurgents is that while they have been suspected of past bombings like you mentioned, none of them rang very true to me. I suppose you could make the same ruling coalition argument with the same parties for them, so I'm not saying, "Oh you're SO WRONG!!" it just seems like a lot of logistics for a bunch of guerilla insurgents who stay pretty isolated to the Southernmost provinces and, more importantly to me, there's already this high profile tug of war within the mafia families and between the mafia families and the central government out of Surat/Samui. I'd need a likely catalyst for this (which there easily could be, I don't stay up on news down there, but there's always something going on). You know, if you're the separatists from way down South, why Samui? Why now?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I walked about 50 metres today before a dude poured a bucket of water on me. I feel like I've gotten a pretty authentic experience and now it's just wet clothes.

Also a lady put some stuff on my face.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 13, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Negligent posted:

Also a lady put some stuff on my face.

First authentic khatoey experience

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

No pisshitwater on me yet

I'm in a taxi slowly driving around the moat

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Next time I go to Thailand I'm going to start pronouncing สวัสดีครับ like this guy:

https://youtu.be/B8UeFwWLZG4?t=1m

https://youtu.be/FvwWn46F9iQ?t=40s

sawaddikrap :rice:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I feel like normal Chiang mai would be pretty great but there are too many white people here for songkran. As an Australian I can authoritatively say white people ruin everything.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

I feel like normal Chiang mai would be pretty great but there are too many white people here for songkran. As an Australian I can authoritatively say white people ruin everything.

Chiang Mai is never the place to go if you want to avoid white people.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Bardeh posted:

Chiang Mai is never the place to go if you want to avoid white people.

I really don't know why Chiang Mai is such a destination. Everywhere else I went was better, and had the same poo poo. I mean, if you leave Luang Prabang by flight you're going to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or Vientiane, but the only good part of Chiang Mai was the shopping mall after a couple months wearing the same three tops and bottoms for two months. The nicest stuff I saw at the market was all the sweatshop stuff you can buy anywhere in SEA. I spent most of my time at the hotel pool, attempting to get the faintest of tans. (Utter failure. Still came home paler than a submarine officer recently back at land. I have the magical genetics that make me sickly pale yet never burn. Lao women were jealous. It's almost impossible to find any body lotions or washes that don't claim to bleach your skin there.)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Thailand and even Bangkok has a really low cost of living by Australian standards without much a tradeoff in terms of the luxuries of home so I can see how the place ended up a magnet for expats. As for the backpackers it seems the old city turned into Khao San with more temples ages ago but I didn't realise it, the last time I was here I stayed at the holiday inn.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

I really don't know why Chiang Mai is such a destination.
I feel like it's finally a bit over as a major destination, except for the digital nomad crowd, who have adopted it as a hub of making very little money while blowing hilarious amounts of money on bullshit courses that purport to teach you how to run your own drop shipping store empire. I know plenty of people still go there, but when I first visited Thailand and when I first moved here, everyone who I ran into traveling or who visited as I lived here used to ask about Chiang Mai. These days I get very few questions about it. Hopefully word has gotten out that, while it's an okay, city, it's a fairly congested and spread out regional hub (outside the old city) with poo poo transport and there are better places to base yourself out of if you want to visit Northern Thailand. Nok and Air Asia fly to places like Mae Sot, Nan and Chiang Rai, so you're not stuck with Chiang Mai as a gateway anymore.

Personally, if I never visit Chiang Mai again I'll survive just fine. Most of the long-term residents (or naturalized citizens) I know, for whatever reason, buy property in Chiang Rai. I find it pretty sleepy, but very pretty and much closer to the beautiful countryside that people purport to be visiting when they go stay in the congested city center of Chiang Mai.

EDIT: Although since the release of Lost In Thailand, the Mainland Chinese have apparently taken the place over, so it's a huge destination for them. All the more reason to avoid.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 13, 2015

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
My friend's Thai mother just uses Chiang Mai as her benchmark for "North" in Thailand.

We ate at her Thai restaurant in Kamloops a few times but her true love was "accidentally" making her son's friends cry with spicy food then calling loud attention to it from across the restaurant.

"Brandon, are you crying!?"

She also didn't believe me when I said I was friends with her son. "Noooooo... he doesn't have friends!"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was once asked where you can get a good cashew chicken near KSR and told the girl asking me to go to a guesthouse with a restaurant that I'd stayed at when I first arrived and she went EW GOD NO I HAD THAT THEY PUT CHILIES IN IT and I was said Yeah well okay but cashew chicken always has chilies in it and she said I'VE LIVED IN CHIANG MAI FOR TWO MONTHS TAKING A MASSAGE COURSE AND CASHEW CHICKEN N E V E R HAS CHILIES IN IT!

Also when I visited Chiang Mai I was pretty bored. Way too many white people, it was like being on an island without the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

I was once asked where you can get a good cashew chicken near KSR and told the girl asking me to go to a guesthouse with a restaurant that I'd stayed at when I first arrived and she went EW GOD NO I HAD THAT THEY PUT CHILIES IN IT and I was said Yeah well okay but cashew chicken always has chilies in it and she said I'VE LIVED IN CHIANG MAI FOR TWO MONTHS TAKING A MASSAGE COURSE AND CASHEW CHICKEN N E V E R HAS CHILIES IN IT!

What a freakin' baby, gai pad med mamuang usually only has those sun-dried chilies in it, which add awesome flavour but barely any spice unless you chew on them. Also I know what I'm having for lunch now.

As far as Chiang Mai chat goes, chalk me up as another who doesn't really see what all the fuss is about. I first went there as a single guy about 4 years ago with some buddies - we went to see some Muay Thai fights which were blatantly rigged and an excuse for tourists to get ripped off betting on them, then ended up in a 'nightclub' absolutely PACKED with western guys and Thai/Burmese hookers and nobody else. We left there and got in a Tuk Tuk and told the driver to take us to a bar, but that we "mai ao lady bar" - we just wanted a chill place to sit and relax and drink some beers. Of course he took us to a 'karaoke' bar where the beers were 400 baht each and the barmaids wanted to sell us sex. :negative:

We did have some really nice Mexican food though!

Nowadays, with a wife and kid, I just don't go very often because the traffic is horrific and the drive from Chiang Rai, while beautiful, is pretty hairy with a narrow mountain road and little chance to safely overtake.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 14, 2015