Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was just thinking the same thing. He's been amazing in these episodes. I loved how loving furious he got at the whole idea of David E. Kelly hand-writing his scripts.

Because he knows it's a pretentious thing to do and just winds up making work for some poor kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, yeah, but I feel like that was more personal. Like he got stuck doing the transcription once.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, yeah, but I feel like that was more personal. Like he got stuck doing the transcription once.

A legal pad killed his daddy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm betting it's both, he knows in general it's a lovely thing to do but yea that rant probably came from a place of "NO I WAS THERE".

Drunkboxer posted:

A legal pad killed his daddy

Or this

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo next weeks episode of WHM should be amazing as the movie is.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

This week's WHM is fantastic. Sorry Cabin haters.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The return of Martin Cinemax III was great.

Also that movie sounded weird as hell. It's like they mashed up all these loose remnants of scripts together and came up with...The Juror.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This has got to be the longest stretch they've ever done of movies I haven't even seen. The last movie they reviewed that I had actually seen was...I want to say Look Who's Talking Now.

Luckily that streak ends next week.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wish people would stop being coy and post what drat movie they're doing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

It is face off

http://letterboxd.com/jupinwhm/list/episodes-of-the-we-hate-movies-podcast/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

Sorry, I thought someone had already posted it. I forgot that was the other WHM thread (I also don't know why there are two, but whatever).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

thrawn527 posted:

This has got to be the longest stretch they've ever done of movies I haven't even seen. The last movie they reviewed that I had actually seen was...I want to say Look Who's Talking Now.

Luckily that streak ends next week.

I've only seen two movies that they've done - Tuff Turf, which I sought out after they'd talked about it, and Mrs Doubtfire.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

I've only seen two movies that they've done - Tuff Turf, which I sought out after they'd talked about it, and Mrs Doubtfire.

I am impressed that you managed to avoid even the Star Wars prequels, but at the same time I strongly doubt your dedication to bad movie watching.

I've seen 28 movies they've talked about... in the theater. And not the obvious ones, either. The total is probably around 80 or 90.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 9, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infamous Sphere posted:

You've never seen Star Wars Episode 1? Or Rocky IV? Or Twister? Or Batman Forever? Or Ghostbusters II?

That's...actually rather impressive. I mean, most of the movies they do are somewhat obscure or cult movies. But there are some pretty big movies in there.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Infamous Sphere posted:

I've only seen Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull from all the movies they've done.

Maybe I should watch more movies.

On the other hand, I've seen a bunch of the movies the Flophouse have done episodes on. I guess this probably reflects my age more than anything else, seeing as I've seen a bunch of bad movies that are younger than 10 years old, but very few older bad ones.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I was curious so i just went through and counted, I've seen 44 of the movies from WHM episodes. One of those was because of the WHM episode, Joysticks, it just sounded too much up my alley to not find and it's all on Youtube.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can't imagine only seeing 1, I've seen nearly 100 of them. This is a "bad" movie podcast so I guess it isn't really the biggest sin in the world. It's not like this list is AFI's... It's not even IMDB.

edit: I only watched one because of WHM as well, and that was Tuff Turf. I regret nothing. They really need to do a "sequel" to that episode and do Class of 1984

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I saw Hard Target when they did an episode on it, because I'd been meaning to watch it and I could look forward to a podcast about it after I finished.

That was a good decision.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yeah I have seen 50 and a couple were due to watching the movie after the episode. I can not believe the poo poo that I watched as a kid, I mean my parents did not rent ET instead they got Mac and Me.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I saw Hard Target when they did an episode on it, because I'd been meaning to watch it and I could look forward to a podcast about it after I finished.

That was a good decision.

That's my favorite episode I think.

"John! Are you harmin' the flask??"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The horse retirin' to the bottom of Brimley's pot is the funniest tangent they've had.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think WHM would improve greatly by simply always telling you what the next episode would be so I could always watch it before listening. As soon as the episode comes out I have no patience and end up listening.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Oh god, House Arrest. I hope they talk a lot about that kid's terrible haircut!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Duke posted:

Oh god, House Arrest. I hope they talk a lot about that kid's terrible haircut!

If there is one thing they hate its kid power movies, and this is one of the biggest offenders.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

thrawn527 posted:

You've never seen Star Wars Episode 1? Or Rocky IV? Or Twister? Or Batman Forever? Or Ghostbusters II?

That's...actually rather impressive. I mean, most of the movies they do are somewhat obscure or cult movies. But there are some pretty big movies in there.

I suppose I can thank a unique set of circumstances. As a child I really wasn't a big movie watcher - I'm surprised if I watched 50 movies during my whole 0-12 childhood, and most of those wouldn't have been in theatres. I wasn't really interested in movies until I hit my teens - before that I mostly just read books and watched a tiny bit of TV.
I did, however, know someone who is now apparently the CEO of Village Roadshow. We used to stay with him and his family during the holidays, and his kids would often watch movies with us. That's why I managed to see Mrs Doubtfire. He also got a VHS of the matrix before it was released in theatres, but I was probably only seven, and wasn't interested in seeing it.
I did a video a couple of years ago about films everyone's seen that I've somehow avoided, and I've caught up on most of the ones I actually wanted to see (like American Psycho and Fargo), but all the ones I'm indifferent to (like Titanic, the Star Wars franchise, the Rocky series etc) I haven't sought out. The thing is, when a movie reaches a sufficient amount of popular culture saturation, I've already been exposed to people talking about it so much that I already feel like I've seen it.

Also I'm probably too young to have experienced some of the movies. Batman Forever, for instance, came out when I would have been about 3 or 4.

Random Stranger posted:

I am impressed that you managed to avoid even the Star Wars prequels, but at the same time I strongly doubt your dedication to bad movie watching.

I've seen 28 movies they've talked about... in the theater. And not the obvious ones, either. The total is probably around 80 or 90.

Oh I've seen some craaaaaaaap movies, but usually they're like....crap gay movies, or movies that are crap in the particular way that I find hilarious. As someone who isn't usually a fan of "genre fiction" (horror, fantasy, sci fi, action etc) - I tend not to find bad versions of those genres that funny. However, bad dramas are incredibly amusing to me. That's why I love it when WHM reviews a lifetime movie. Bad action movies are bad in exactly the same way, but a bad drama can be bad in ways you've never anticipated.

Edit: oh man, I saw half of THE DIRT BIKE KID on Youtube, and that movie is so terrible that I hope WHM covers it one day.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 10, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I barely see any movies, but I guess I've still seen a bunch of WHM ones-- both Ewok movies, Phantom Menace, The Next Karate Kid (which was filmed at the high school I went to!), Batman Forever, Foodfight (loving... Foodfight...), Casper, Jingle All the Way, Mrs. Doubtfire, North, and TMNT II.

I saw North in the theater as a kid. I kind of think it's the reason I haven't seen many other movies later in life. :v:

Foodfight is still one of the most unbelievable things I've seen in my entire life. Everyone should have to watch it.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Wow, uh, they weren't kidding about that dragon dick.

https://youtu.be/C4c7N5N2sKQ?t=37m3s

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I can't wait to hear what June thinks of Con Air.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I tried to count, and I've seen somewhere around 35 of the films in the WHM catalog. It had been a while since they did one that I had seen recently, but then they took on Teen Wolf Too - and I've been unfortunate to catch that one on TV before.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I've got about 19, give or take a few I've burned out of my memory so hard I can't tell if I saw them or not. Most of my WHM movies either came from growing up with a terrible VHS collection (TMNT II, Godzilla, Batman Forever) or leaving the TV on comedy central all day. (Mo' Money, Ghostbusters II, Bordello of Blood, Mystery Men)

However, I did see The Core in theaters. Money well spent.

Also saw The Butterfly Effect in theaters. Money terribly spent.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
How much of a movie do you need to watch for you to consider yourself having seen it?

Many of these movies I have flashes of memories watching pieces of on TV, but I've barely seen any in full. Most of them were garbage, so I didn't bother watching in full. I sure as poo poo wasn't marking my calendar to watch The Core from the start, gloriously stupid as it is. I've sat through fewer than ten of them.

Granted, as a kid my parents corrupted me by showing me incredibly inappropriate films instead of incredibly terrible ones.

Still, somehow I did see Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever of all things.

quote:

Of these, I've seen Ghostbusters II beginning-to-end, and maybe a combined 20 minutes of all the rest (although I have seen bits of all of them).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'm listening through some old WHMs because I haven't heard them before and there are some real gems throughout the Poison Ivy episode. With the tall glasses of water revelation (I always thought they were talking about beer) they definitely sound a lot more stoney in these earlier ones as well.

"Beethoven is the John Candy of dog acting."

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Which episode had the "John Candy fat guy music"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Which episode had the "John Candy fat guy music"

Tuff Turf, re: Jack Mack and the Heart Attack

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Tuff Turf, re: Jack Mack and the Heart Attack

Thank you! That's a good episode.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
They also mention the music suddenly transitioning to being fat guy John Candy music when the film enters Chicago in Next of Kin.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
holy balls, WHM finally put out a Face / Off episode!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

"Welcome back, June."

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I started listening to the Face/Off episode of WHM, but quickly realised that I just cannot listen to an hour and a half of some dudes getting mad at Face/Off. It's too awesome.