Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thunderstorm season off to an awesome start for the year!

:suicide:

Got to vector this and this Southwest around a bit after KSTL said that aircraft could "give it a shot if they wanted" and their dispatch was in the middle of a shift change for like 20 minutes. The one that does a little loopty loop decided to go to KMCI before changing his mind and going to KMDW like the other one. On top of the other things going on it was a fun way to end the night.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Cross post from the A/I thread. It appears this tower controller forgot he had a maintenance vehicle on the runway as a 767 touched down:

Video:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Technology%20and%20Science/ID/2662592936/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/04/06/national/approaching-jets-close-call-maintenance-vehicle-laid-tokushima-controller-error/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Such timing; we're reviewing ground control in class.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just attended a NATCA solidarity event in San Antonio last night. The focus was on getting new contributions to the PAC. There was some talk about the new sequester coming up in October, privatization, and pay/benefit cuts that NATCA opposes.

Speakers included former NATCA president John Carr, VP Trish Gilbert, and our regional VP Tim Smith. Though we didn't have any local politicians in attendance, the NATCA superstar turnout for the humble event was really impressive.

Overall it was an educational and fun evening. I don't usually need very much encouragement to get on board with union objectives so I happily signed up to contribute to the PAC. I wasn't keen on it before, but Carr mentioned in his speech that you don't have to approve of the PAC game. It gets played with or without your support.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
I just got done with the Basic Legislative Activism class and I highly recommend it. We do so much on Capitol Hill compared to a lot of unions that are ten times our size, it is awesome. I think a common gripe about contributing to the PAC is that members think the money only goes to Democrats, but we contribute so much more to Republicans than any other transportation union. We generally have a 60/40 Democrat/Republican contribution split while most of the other unions were like 90/10, it's ridiculous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zochness posted:

I just got done with the Basic Legislative Activism class and I highly recommend it. We do so much on Capitol Hill compared to a lot of unions that are ten times our size, it is awesome. I think a common gripe about contributing to the PAC is that members think the money only goes to Democrats, but we contribute so much more to Republicans than any other transportation union. We generally have a 60/40 Democrat/Republican contribution split while most of the other unions were like 90/10, it's ridiculous.

We have to do things on capitol hill because we don't really have any other way to influence work decisions and policy since we can't do that whole strike thing. I'd imagine the overwhelming number of Republicans we give money to are ones that have large facilities in their districts. They seem to be a bit friendlier to us since we're injecting millions of dollars into the local economies. :homebrew:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thank you for submitting your application for announcement FAA-ATO-15-ALLSRCE-40166. Based upon your responses to the Biographical Assessment, we have determined that you are NOT eligible for this position as a part of the current vacancy announcement.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Same.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wahey, I'm not alone!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Still in "received" status for me, so either I've cleared the first hurdle or they just haven't gotten around to rejecting everyone yet.

Edit: poo poo, still in received, this is going to be a long weekend. Either way, gently caress the BioQ.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 11, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mine switched to "reviewed" status. Gotta click "more information" to see what they say.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sorry guys. For what it's worth the Bio Questionnaire is very unpopular with applicants and present controllers. A lot of us aren't convinced you can predict success in the career by a written test.

Please give it another shot if they post a new announcement. Lately they've been posted once per year but that could always change.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd really love to get my hands on the numbers for the BioQ and how it's scored/what the pass/fail conditions are. Not even the right answers, just the actual procedure.

And hell yeah, here's hoping they have an utterly dismal applicant run this time so poo poo pops back up soon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress the BioQ.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Failed.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Someone give some memorable examples from it if you can. I'm curious.

Is it like:

Are you prone to panic in tense situations? Yes/No/Maybe
Do you consider yourself able to multi-task for long periods of time? Yes/No/Maybe
Can jet fuel melt steel beams? Yes/No/Maybe

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There were a few really goddamn ridiculous ones like "What do you think of new technology" good/scary/evil/relied on too much

Also poo poo like what do you dislike most? hard work/having to be on time/having to work with others/repetitive tasks

E: Would you rather finish projects on time or take too long but get it just right.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 10, 2015

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Naturally Selected posted:

There were a few really goddamn ridiculous ones like "What do you think of new technology" good/scary/evil/relied on too much

Also poo poo like what do you dislike most? hard work/having to be on time/having to work with others/repetitive tasks

E: Would you rather finish projects on time or take too long but get it just right.

Surely putting disliking having to work with others is a fail. We KNOW controllers loving hate pilots. :D :redass:

Ps I am not having to operate Dom Rep Germany tomorrow or UK Vegas next week... honest :D

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 11, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I loved "What do you do when you're late for work or an appointment?
*sneak in, hope no one notices
*make an excuse when you get there
*call your boss and tell them what's up
*[LIE] I am never late for anything."

But yeah I remember a theme around basically, "How do you make decisions? Stress out/Let a superior decide/Ask for advice/Make the call on my own"

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 11, 2015

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Ya, the questions were mostly ridiculous but easy to assess what they wanted. I thought so anyway. I felt I answered it as best as humanly possible as well as making my resume suited for the position, writing a cover letter, and anything else I could do as well as having a degree and plenty of experience that's all very application to the profession. Still denied.

Seems like the only people getting through went to CTI schools and/or have aviation experience*.

*and even most of them didn't get through

Boola fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 11, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guess it's time to look for a new career if their 18 month plan holds.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boola posted:

Ya, the questions were mostly ridiculous but easy to assess what they wanted. I thought so anyway. I felt I answered it as best as humanly possible as well as making my resume suited for the position, writing a cover letter, and anything else I could do as well as having a degree and plenty of experience that's all very application to the profession. Still denied.

Seems like the only people getting through went to CTI schools and/or have aviation experience*.

*and even most of them didn't get through

I thought so too, but obviously it's not at all what either of us thought :v: (the first pass/fail is JUST the BQ, no one's even seen your resume/cover letter.)

Pope Mobile posted:

Guess it's time to look for a new career if their 18 month plan holds.

The figures I'm seeing so far* (16% pass rate out of 16,700, combined with a decently high washout rate) seem to indicate that they fell well short of what they were hoping to get.

*In posts on other ATC boards, so take em with a grain of salt.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 11, 2015

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

I thought so too, but obviously it's not at all what either of us thought :v: (the first pass/fail is JUST the BQ, no one's even seen your resume/cover letter.)

I'm thinking there was literally no way to pass the BQ unless you have direct military/aviation/CTI experience. That or they just picked people at random.

And I know they didn't see my resume. I just figured I'd just make sure everything was in place for what I could control in the small chance I got beyond the BQ.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did no one consider the thing where maybe the person who designed the test was smart and set it up to weed out "picking the "obvious" answer" instead of answering truthfully? There's generally a lot of research and whatever that goes into that stuff. Not saying the BQ is good or anything, but I've seen a lot of people talking about that in regards to how they answered.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boola posted:

I'm thinking there was literally no way to pass the BQ unless you have direct military/aviation/CTI experience. That or they just picked people at random.

And I know they didn't see my resume. I just figured I'd just make sure everything was in place for what I could control in the small chance I got beyond the BQ.

There's been a few Navy/AF controllers failing the BQ as well, so it's not even that.

Basically, what a bunch of people said above:

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

fknlo posted:

Did no one consider the thing where maybe the person who designed the test was smart and set it up to weed out "picking the "obvious" answer" instead of answering truthfully? There's generally a lot of research and whatever that goes into that stuff. Not saying the BQ is good or anything, but I've seen a lot of people talking about that in regards to how they answered.

It's possible. Who knows how the test makers weighted it. I answered it more honestly last year (as someone who is confident, able, and takes responsibility for mistakes but isn't perfect) and this year as a complete boy scout. Agreed on:

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

fknlo posted:

That's why I mentioned that question about being late, sure seemed like a trap for people trying to look perfect instead of being honest about how they behave. I think the problem most people had was with the multiple questions of the type Natural Selection mentioned, where it was picking the best/worst among several desirable options, like there's some hierarchy of skills or behaviors and it's clearly not very obvious what the FAA thinks is the most important of those attributes.

Unless this is one of those things where 10 years from now we find out the BioQ is horribly flawed and FAA has hired cohorts of pure sociopaths or compulsive liars or something.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reztes posted:

That's why I mentioned that question about being late, sure seemed like a trap for people trying to look perfect instead of being honest about how they behave. I think the problem most people had was with the multiple questions of the type Natural Selection mentioned, where it was picking the best/worst among several desirable options, like there's some hierarchy of skills or behaviors and it's clearly not very obvious what the FAA thinks is the most important of those attributes.

Unless this is one of those things where 10 years from now we find out the BioQ is horribly flawed and FAA has hired cohorts of pure sociopaths or compulsive liars or something.

Oh yeah, that question had the most obvious answer. If you're not perfect, gtfo :colbert:

I'll let people that actually do this poo poo for a living weigh in on the quality of candidates that the BQ passes through, but there's a reason it's not popular with actual working controllers, and not just us rejects.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

I'll let people that actually do this poo poo for a living weigh in on the quality of candidates that the BQ passes through, but there's a reason it's not popular with actual working controllers, and not just us rejects.
Seriously, I didn't find a single person at ZSE who thought it was "a good thing", from controllers, to supes, to trainers and so on.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Oh yeah, that question had the most obvious answer. If you're not perfect, gtfo :colbert:

I'll let you know in a few years when I start training them. The Bio Q excludes enough CTI, Military, Aviator, AND former FAA controllers, that I can't possible hold out much optimism for its efficacy.

One guy at our facility came in from an old Off The Street bid and certified in record time. He's a natural. He separated from the FAA to pursue personal business interests that didn't pan out. He has since been unable to get back in because he gets excluded by the Bio Q.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The former Military/FAA controller exclusion is what kills me. How the gently caress do you create a test for a position that people that already hold this position can't pass. :psyduck:

I worked as a recruiter for close to 7 years, and this just reinforces my opinion that any kind of in-house hiring systems/HR staff are literally the most incompetent people to walk the earth.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 11, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rejected!! Turn thirty in July too so time to double down on machining.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

One guy at our facility came in from an old Off The Street bid and certified in record time. He's a natural. He separated from the FAA to pursue personal business interests that didn't pan out. He has since been unable to get back in because he gets excluded by the Bio Q.

Now that's retarded.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fknlo posted:

A friend of mine was in charge of hiring for a bunch of retail stores and they had a question sheet as part of the process. One of the questions was something like what would you do if you paid for an item in a vending machine, but the machine gave you two of that item. Anyone who answered that they would report it to the machine owner and give it back was not hired. I understand the thought behind it -- that the person answering that way is obviously full of poo poo, but I don't understand setting that kind of trap in the first place.

I feel frustration for those of you going through this process.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

fknlo posted:

This is one of the fundamental problems with these sorts of questionnaires; because the applicants know that it's pass/fail, they are forced to imagine what the examiner wants them to say, since they obviously want to pass this portion of the process and get hired. If you then pull a double-secret reverse on them, you're not actually exposing liars or any such thing, you're just screwing applicants for attempting to play the game you set for them in the first place. These tools are unvalidated and simply represent a codification of the bias of the person writing them, and they should be abandoned.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
The first time I tried to answer the BioQ like I thought they wanted and I failed.

This time I answered quickly with whatever I thought first.

Fail. Fail.

Some of the questions I didn't know the answers too. I have no idea how a few coworkers think of me. I think I'm an efficient, innovative leader, who loves team work but only when surrounded by the right people. Depending on the task I will double check my work but a lot of times I rely on my team to double check that. gently caress the BioQ. How the gently caress do I answer those questions.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For those asking about the test being designed to "trick" the subject, see this: http://www.mmpi-info.com/mmpidict1

Assessments like this are designed with controls for validity. The measure consistency across multiple questions, many of which are asking the same question but worded in such a way that it appears as though it's unique. Testing for validity often includes adjusting the score for artificially inflated responses that are designed to secure a more favorable outcome.

Psychologists have become very, very good at this over the last 100 years. If you think it would be obvious which questions are designed to "calibrate" or which ones are duplicates of prior questions I can assure you it isn't. These tests are tested in trials thousands of times before put into use, and I can also assure you that the people who designed and tested this assessment are smarter than all of us.

Edit: not to say that this test is working as intended, just shedding some light.

Question: was this test given to existing employees or new applications in the past and then not used for selection purposes? If not and they out it straight into use without a parallel trial I'd be concerned.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

For those asking about the test being designed to "trick" the subject, see this: http://www.mmpi-info.com/mmpidict1

Assessments like this are designed with controls for validity. The measure consistency across multiple questions, many of which are asking the same question but worded in such a way that it appears as though it's unique. Testing for validity often includes adjusting the score for artificially inflated responses that are designed to secure a more favorable outcome.

Psychologists have become very, very good at this over the last 100 years. If you think it would be obvious which questions are designed to "calibrate" or which ones are duplicates of prior questions I can assure you it isn't. These tests are tested in trials thousands of times before put into use, and I can also assure you that the people who designed and tested this assessment are smarter than all of us.

Edit: not to say that this test is working as intended, just shedding some light.

Question: was this test given to existing employees or new applications in the past and then not used for selection purposes? If not and they out it straight into use without a parallel trial I'd be concerned.

This is basically what I was getting at. The kicker is that you get to take the MMPI during the hiring process too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Jealous Cow posted:

I find fault with this logic (about the people creating these tests being much smarter than us). Even if it were true, it would say nothing about the validity or ethics of deploying such an examination. As for validation, this test was cobbled together based on response of current controllers, but the test itself was never validated. That is, they did not give the BioQ to any working controllers, but they did create it based on controller responses to different questions.

These sorts of examinations are basically bunk. There's no evidence that you can create a short questionnaire that will allow you to distinguish ahead of time between two similarly qualified candidates.