Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/canada-posts-unexpected-jobs-gain-in-march-on-part-time-work

quote:

Canadian employment rebounded in March, with an unexpected gain powered by services from retailing to transportation and part-time work.

Employment rose by 28,700 following a loss of 1,000 in February, while the March jobless rate remained at 6.8 percent, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg News projected the jobless rate would rise to 6.9 percent and that employment would be unchanged.

The job gain may reduce pressure on policy makers to offer fresh stimulus to the world’s 11th largest economy following a plunge in exported crude oil prices. Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz made a surprise interest-rate cut in January and has another decision April 15, while Finance Minister Joe Oliver has delayed his pre-election budget to April 21. Employment rose by about 63,000 in the first quarter amid the oil price shock.

Part-time positions rose by 56,800 in March, while full-time employment declined by 28,200, Statistics Canada said.

There was also a split between the 45,300 increase in services employment and a 16,500 fall in payrolls at goods-producing companies. Retail and wholesale service jobs posted the biggest gain at 19,800, followed by 15,900 for transportation and warehousing.

Construction employment fell by 12,100 in March. Employment at natural resources companies rose by 6,300, following declines of about 26,000 in the prior two months, Statistics Canada said.

Today’s release adds to recent reports suggesting the effects of falling prices for crude oil, Canada’s top export, haven’t been as dramatic as policy makers worried. Statistics Canada has reported the merchandise trade deficit narrowed in February as prices for exported energy recovered, and that the economy shrank a less-than-expected 0.1 percent in January as increased oil production made up for lower prices.

Today’s report showed that average hourly wages of permanent employees rose 1.9 percent in March from a year earlier.

Private companies added 19,300 workers and public-sector employment rose by 26,500. Workers designated by Statistics Canada as employees rose by 45,800 and the self-employed category decreased by 17,000.

Great. Part time jobs for everybody. PM Steve has staved off recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I swear when they release jobs reports they shouldn't group the jobs together. Losing 28k and change full time jobs is not considered a job rebound by any stretch of the phrase. No one cares about seasonal part time employment increases that are quite frankly expected.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, guaranteed most of those jobs are tree planters because the season starts in March out west.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/5-kids2-adults1000-sq-ft/article23875496/?service=mobile

Love it when media propagates this idiotic meme that living in a loving coffin is the new normal.

And got much more loving Vancouver can you get. 'Video game designer'. gently caress off

There was another recent article about this trend in Vancouver that went a bit more in depth and interviewed more people.

Two kids, two salaries – and an extremely compact inner-city loft

For what it's worth the city has put in a lot of effort to try to change the makeup of what condo buildings look like so that not every condo building going up is just all 500 sqft bachelor pads designed for investors to rent out. They're trying to get more 3 bedroom condos built to make living in a downtown condo with a family through the teen years an actual viable lifestyle. The city is seeing that some people want to live this way and are bending over backwards to try to make it work, but realistically with a small 2 bedroom apartment it's going to fall apart once kids get older.

There's another core issue though that there's this absurd gap in housing types in Vancouver that create this problem. On one side you have million dollar plus detached single family houses and on the other 1000 sqft condos. There should obviously be a lot more choices in between, such as row houses and stacked townhouses, but Vancouver doesn't build nearly enough of them. Apparently there has been all sorts of zoning and building code rules which blocked this sort of thing in the past, which has resulted it not being on the radar culturally, and I think it's only slowly changing now.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 10, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

There was another recent article about this trend in Vancouver that went a bit more in depth and interviewed more people.

Two kids, two salaries – and an extremely compact inner-city loft

For what it's worth the city has put in a lot of effort to try to change the makeup of what condo buildings look like so that not every condo building going up is just all 500 sqft bachelor pads designed for investors to rent out. They're trying to get more 3 bedroom condos built to make living in a downtown condo with a family through the teen years an actual viable lifestyle. The city is seeing that some people want to live this way and are bending over backwards to try to make it work, but realistically with a small 2 bedroom apartment it's going to fall apart once kids get older.

There's another core issue though that there's this absurd gap in housing types in Vancouver that create this problem. On one side you have million dollar plus detached single family houses and on the other 1000 sqft condos. There should obviously be a lot more choices in between, such as row houses and stacked townhouses, but Vancouver doesn't build nearly enough of them. Apparently there has been all sorts of zoning and building code rules which blocked this sort of thing in the past, which has resulted it not being on the radar culturally, and I think it's only slowly changing now.
Clearly the solution is to allow six-story wooden condos.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can we put to bed once and for all supply side 'solutions' to affordability are simply scams to enrich developers and the FIRE industries?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
There's been a great ad on the radio recently. It opens up with the sort of man's voice normally reserved for pickup truck ads saying "Renting is great!... said NO ONE EVER!" and goes on to tell you what a great deal you can get on a new townhouse or condo. Evidently once you do, you can "tell your landlord to POUND SAND!"

It then gives the URL http://donotrent.ca which is a page that looks like this:

It's so exciting that they can punctuate questions with exclamation points.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I don't see this trend as purely an affordability issue. There's a lifestyle aspect here. Folks don't want to move into a massive house in car oriented suburbia with a massive commute along with it just because they had kids. They still want to be able to walk out the door and walk into their favourite coffee shop, and get some groceries around the corner.

The problem could also be solved by creating transit connected walkable small towns with sensibly sized houses instead of sprawling car oriented suburbs with massive lots.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TerminalSaint posted:

There's been a great ad on the radio recently. It opens up with the sort of man's voice normally reserved for pickup truck ads saying "Renting is great!... said NO ONE EVER!" and goes on to tell you what a great deal you can get on a new townhouse or condo. Evidently once you do, you can "tell your landlord to POUND SAND!"

It then gives the URL http://donotrent.ca which is a page that looks like this:

It's so exciting that they can punctuate questions with exclamation points.

I had no idea where Blackfalds was, so popped up the Google machine and a funny thing happened.

When I think about moving to a small town of 8000 people in Alberta, buying a condo is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

I don't see this trend as purely an affordability issue. There's a lifestyle aspect here. Folks don't want to move into a massive house in car oriented suburbia with a massive commute along with it just because they had kids. They still want to be able to walk out the door and walk into their favourite coffee shop, and get some groceries around the corner.

The problem could also be solved by creating transit connected walkable small towns with sensibly sized houses instead of sprawling car oriented suburbs with massive lots.

Because you totally can't achieve this goal with renting. :rolleyes:

Also, google the fastest growing municipalities in Canada and tell me how your new urbanism bullshit explains it

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Blackfalds is essentially a bedroom community for the 100,000 population city of Red Deer, which in turn exists for no apparent reason beyond being a rough midpoint between Edmonton and Calgary.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Because you totally can't achieve this goal with renting. :rolleyes:

Also, google the fastest growing municipalities in Canada and tell me how your new urbanism bullshit explains it

I don't really get what point you're trying to make.

edit: My comment was about the folks who are living with their multiple kids in small apartments in case you thought I was responding to something else.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 11, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

I see that Nova Scotia came to their senses.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-film-industry-tax-credit-slashed-by-liberal-government-1.3026509

100% non-refundable subsidy.

100%!!!!

Jesus H Christ.

They nipped it in the bud before everyone and their dog showed up like in Louisiana, because within a few years that few million in handouts quickly turns into a billion dollars if you don't watch out.

Quebec is cutting their programs over the next few years, and Ontario is up poo poo creek with their budget that leaves BC as the masters of corporate welfare. I still think that BC taxpayers just doesn't give a gently caress on who spends their money on whatever. Half a billion a year can go towards a lot of stuff but no... we can have Deadpool and Star Trek 3 shoot here and boost tourism and have the film crews boost hotels and craft services....

:allears:

Soon as I get a non film gig, I'm out of here. I'm done. And I'm writing a letter to my MP with copys of my pay stubs and asking who does this program benefit? From my view its foreign workers and Hollywood.

Nice to see someone else in this industry still has their sanity. Everyone in the Nova Scotia film industry it bitching and organizing rallies to protest the subsidy cut. Meanwhile I'm secretly smiling about less wasted money.

Maybe I'll be following your example sometime in the future, and go do something else. It's really sad seeing how subsidies have ruined the industry and made us all into government leeches, and resulting in a lot of underqualified people getting hired just because they come from the province and provide some quick labor cash-backs. Though they also fraudulently classify a lot of foreign workers as citizens.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Can we put to bed once and for all supply side 'solutions' to affordability are simply scams to enrich developers and the FIRE industries?

At this point I'd settle for some kind of luxury tax on apartments that rent out for greater than 75% of the median or something. It would be nice to see some apartments go up in Los Angeles that aren't catering to people who are either wealthier than I am, or totally willing to spend 50%+ of their gross income on housing. I realize that in some sense the problem is me, I'm an unwilling participant in the housing market, but loving hell people spend too much on housing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The number of people willing to fight to pay $900 for a half den and curtain in Yaletown, but think $550 is outrageous for a room with a door in East van, legitimately blows my loving mind. :psyduck:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

The number of people willing to fight to pay $900 for a half den and curtain in Yaletown, but think $550 is outrageous for a room with a door in East van, legitimately blows my loving mind. :psyduck:

Context please?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

People who don’t care about houses ‘a threat to society’

GIVING up on owning property could lead to dangerous behaviour like reading books or being interested in world events, it has been claimed.

After it emerged that only four in 10 renters was still attempting to save for a house, property experts warned of a dangerous new breed of human that wants to discuss things other than the purchase and decoration of homes.

Estate agent Martin Bishop said: “Imagine being at a dinner party where nobody owns a house.

“You try to start a conversation about the price of a three bed in a neighbouring postcode, or how you’ve been knocking through walls to create a spacious feeling, but you’re met with dead-eyed stares.

“They want to talk about films, war things happening abroad, animals – a bewildering and scary array of topics that will make you feel thick.

“In the doomsday scenario there are so many renters they become ‘normal’ rather than subhuman and start to look down on homeowners in a creepy, vaguely communist way.

“And what begins with a vague feeling of superiority can only end in murder.”

Renter Emma Bradford said: “When owning a house becomes an impossibility, at first it’s depressing but then your mind turns to things other than mortgages and floor plans.

“It’s like taking a massive dose of some powerful hallucinogen and seeing everything incredibly vividly.

“You realise universal truths like what materialistic shits your friends have become.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-who-dont-care-about-houses-a-threat-to-society-2015040797085

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

I know this is a joke article, but I only know one guy who owns a house and whenever he complains about doing this or that most people just shrug but one person will usually ask him why he bought a house if he didn't want to do maintenance. Is the 4/10 stat real?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That article is pretty amazing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MickeyFinn posted:

Is the 4/10 stat real?
Yes, but it refers to the UK rather than Canada.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Never. Never ever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

I know this is a joke article, but I only know one guy who owns a house and whenever he complains about doing this or that most people just shrug but one person will usually ask him why he bought a house if he didn't want to do maintenance. Is the 4/10 stat real?

It's pretty funny how new home owners didn't realize all the hidden costs like maintenance and repairs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They're not exactly hidden. It's like calling gasoline a "hidden cost" of car ownership.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THC posted:

They're not exactly hidden. It's like calling gasoline a "hidden cost" of car ownership.

most homeowners just think the monthly cost will just be mortgage and insurance, when there are piles of other potential costs associated with home ownership.

You can have HOA fees, property tax, repair costs, pest control, higher utility costs and maintenance costs.

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/real-estate/T029-C000-S001-the-true-cost-of-owning-a-home.html?page=2

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yes, but it refers to the UK rather than Canada.

So I figured. Is that unusually low for the UK? From the tenor of that article it is, but that article is clearly satire.

etalian posted:

It's pretty funny how new home owners didn't realize all the hidden costs like maintenance and repairs.

For this guy it was more of an effort nuisance rather than money problem. I don't recall him having a lot of chores when we were growing up. Since I had been literally tilling soil since I was 12 years-old I don't have any interest in a lawn or some poo poo I have to take care of on a regular basis.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'll never cease to be surprised by how many people seem to clamour to have a lawn that needs looking after.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I'll never cease to be surprised by how many people seem to clamour to have a lawn that needs looking after.

if you don't have a perfectly green pesticide soaked lawn, you haven't obtained real adulthood.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
edit: Wrong thread...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lexicon posted:

http://www.thecomicstrips.com/store/add.php?iid=80804
This is basically what I do with my lawn. I can't find a copy of it online, but years ago, there was another one of these strips where the grandpa digs up his lawn and plants barley instead. Great idea in my opinion.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

List a brand new condo for under $100,000 in Metro Vancouver’s red-hot housing market, and the hordes of home buyers will come – judging by a frenzied scene in downtown Surrey on Saturday.

Hundreds of people waited in line to snag a piece of the new, 35-storey Evolve tower, located on the corner of 133 Street and 103A Avenue.

Despite some nasty exchanges between staff and impatient customers, Evolve sold 300 homes worth about $70-million in a mad hour-and-a-half-long rush.

“You don’t see that under $100,000 every day,” said Curtis Honey, who drove all the way from Edmonton with his twin brother to pick up a 316-square-foot microsuite“It is pretty small, but I think there’s ways to work around it and maximize the space.”

Platinum Project Marketing, which presented the condos to prospective buyers, said young buyers are interested in trading space for financial freedom.

“If your payments were $600 a month with all of your maintenance and everything inside and included, then you’d be able to have more money for life,” said spokesman Bill Morrison. ”We’re finding, especially with a younger group of buyers, they don’t seem to collect as many things as older buyers do, they like to collect experiences.”

Out of 406 homes, only about 80 were microsuites – and most were gone by the end of the day, including the cheapest listing at $93,900, Morrison said.

Platinum said its high-tech sales presentation, including augmented reality and holographic technologies, helped spark the surge of interest.

The sale continues on Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

The tower is one among a group of condo buildings to be built in Surrey’s West Village, which is expected to become a major hub for the city in coming years.

More than 2,800 homes are forecast to be built in the area over the next seven years.

The expected move-in date for the Evolve tower is 2018.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/94k-micro-condo-in-surrey-attracts-hordes-of-home-buyers-1.2323058

Well i guess the supply side does really make housing affordable. :laugh:

I was at a place in Surrey called "morgan's crossing" today. Holy poo poo that is a nice masterplanned new urbanism development. Built on top of farm land. If the NDP were to seize power with the promise to toll the motherfucking poo poo out of every single loving bridge into Vancouver, the last two decades will be forgotten and I will vote their retarded asses in 100 times.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 12, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/94k-micro-condo-in-surrey-attracts-hordes-of-home-buyers-1.2323058

I was at a place in Surrey called "morgan's crossing" today. Holy poo poo that is a nice masterplanned new urbanism development. Built on top of farm land. If the NDP were to seize power with the promise to toll the motherfucking poo poo out of every single loving bridge into Vancouver, the last two decades will be forgotten and I will vote their retarded asses in 100 times.

People got excited over getting a micro-apartment in Surrey

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of people in urban planning really really hate "new urbanism". It's generally suburbanism with a dressed up disney land main st. urban facade. Also the LEED system is garbage and tells you more about the building's marketing budget than how "sustainable" it is. A huge office park or condo built on greenfield land out in the suburbs can boast about its LEED credentials while a building using less energy per occupant or square footage built downtown on in-fill can't, because it costs big money to even get LEED certified. It's a lot like "organic" food. Small farmers being innovative and actually sustainable can't afford the certification while big-ag can slap it on what ever they want to sell to yuppies at jacked up prices. Also a lot of LEED stuff just looks at the numbers, the engineering, the theory. In New York they actually went back to a bunch of suposed super duper leed double ultra platnum buildings and actually measured the energy use and efficiency of all their "green" poo poo and found most of them no better than a lovely 70's office tower.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

I grew up in that area, but down the hill in what is now called Morgan Creek. Morgan Crossing area wasn't really farmland - it was all pretty well forested, but where I lived more towards the flats was farmed. In fact, my folks had a hobby farm and we had cattle and ducks and geese and chickens. Even boarded horses on a couple of occasions. It was truly the sticks back then. Now, it's all high-density townhouses. My parents did OK on all that, but for my siblings and me, no way are we able to afford anything there. The typical subdivision box near where I grew up is now a million plus. Funny story - Morgan Creek is marketing crap made up by the developers. The real name of the creek is Titman Creek, which of course, doesn't market quite as well.

My wife and I lived in Morgan Crossing for a period of time and rented one of the townhouses. What a crapbox that place was, and it was one of the better townhouses in the area. Many of the townhouses were less than five years old and had visible unfinished components. The apartments immediately above the Morgan Crossing shops were half-empty at any given time. We saw at least three units that had *never* been rented, and they were several years old. The stickers were still on the appliances...it was wild.

Back to our townhouse, after a year lease, the owner was trying to sell it and couldn't get anyone to look at it. He hired a dipstick realtor who took crap pictures on his iPhone. We were a little irked because landlord was supposed to come over to fix the garage door, but brought along realtor dude with him and then told us he was putting the place on the market so he could buy US real estate instead. We were quite annoyed by the subterfuge, so we decided to help the process along in ways that served our purposes. For example, realtor dude asked us if we were cool putting one of those lockboxes on the doorknob, so he could just give the code to his realtor buddies and they could let themselves in anytime to show the place. We told him where he could stick his lockbox and advised that he would need to provide more than 24 hours notice per the terms and conditions of the lease. So, we made sure we were rarely available except during exceedingly limited hours, and when buyers did come, they would ask us why we rented and we would tell them it was more convenient, and besides, why would we pay for such a shoddily constructed townhouse? My wife being an engineer could certainly be convincing about the flaws in the build - and there were many. Flooring was garbage softwood that continually got marked up from the slightest use, mouldings were cheap crap, handrails down the stairs were barely sanded down. Light fixtures were cheap crap (can confirm cheapness because we broke one moving in and had to replace it...$50 at Home Depot). The electric fireplace never worked and of course, the place had the lovely flatscreen over the fireplace design, which was the only place you could put a television. It was pretty funny talking to realtors about all the problems with the construction of the place, and how a spill in the upstairs bathroom would cause water to leak through the ceiling, through a kitchen light fixture, and onto the floor below.

Townhouse living in that place was like a slightly upscale version of a trailer park. The amenities building always had the crap kicked out of it, and the people who used it during the summer treated the pool like no one else used it and brought all their friends, and their friends kids. We could have bought the place for a minimal mortgage, but it had no value to it to us, and seemingly a quarter of the people there were trying to sell at any given time.

We left there about three years or so ago and are now renting a house closer to the city. I don't know if the landlord ever sold that place, but in any case, it was an experience.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

People got excited over getting a micro-apartment in Surrey

Drove from Edmonton excited...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
316 square feet??? :yikes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people in urban planning really really hate "new urbanism". It's generally suburbanism with a dressed up disney land main st. urban facade.

The New Urbanism is also a buzzword for creating hideous artificial new developments in the middle of nowhere.

In order to recapture the feel of living in a vibrant historic city we need to build some apartments over chain restaurants and big box stores.

etalian fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 12, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I think a lot of microsuites might be picked up by people that live in the suburbs but work downtown as a secondary crashpad. They actually make sense for that as all you want is a bed and shower.

Edit - it's in downtown surrey, not downtown vancouver. Wtf?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 12, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha yes

In before $300k micro suites in Vancouver

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Morgan's Crossing really pisses me off. If you drive down White Rock's Johnson Road with all its new developments and increased density it's clear they're doing a good job revitalizing the area, and they're on the right track to creating a small, dense, sustainable little town. Then someone in Surrey approved Morgan Crossing, which is just another variant of the sprawly, suburban strip mall, and it's going to suck the life out of the White Rock/South Surrey peninsula town centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

I think a lot of microsuites might be picked up by people that live in the suburbs but work downtown as a secondary crashpad. They actually make sense for that as all you want is a bed and shower.

Edit - it's in downtown surrey, not downtown vancouver. Wtf?

best joke about Surrey, is how it's basically the town in which Biff has the sport almanac