Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You could triple my pay and I still wouldn't move from Seattle to Des Moines.

Bad with money, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
My sister might be moving to Louisiana because her boyfriend (and possible baby daddy, already tried once) got an offer in the oil industry.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MrKatharsis posted:

Bad with money, I know.
I love Des Moines and would move there in a heartbeat if I could convince my fiance to move there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MrKatharsis posted:

Bad with money, I know.

You'd live like a king. Seattle is our second favorite city. Tons to do, safe, beautiful. But god drat, we own a nice house here with a yard. A smaller house in a shady neighborhood would be almost twice the cost, plus higher taxes and utilities.

Seattle is bad rear end, not gonna disparage but if you did have an offer to move to des moines with triple pay, that'd be grounds for divorce. Hell move back when you retire, but it's p awesome here.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

My brother is not so smart with money. He worked as a software developer at a non-tech company in NYC, making decent money but nothing spectacular. The place was so poorly managed that over the 4 years he worked there, he maneuvered his position to be in a department where he was the only engineer, arranged his schedule so that he came in at 11, left at 4, skipped coming in at all on Thursdays, and barely produced any code.

Then a major major shakeup happens because the company's stock is performing so poorly (no surprise). Most of the management is fired, and a new CTO is brought in. My brother has to give a presentation to the CTO where he explains what he does at the company, which apparently doesn't impress the new CTO, who tells him he's going to be reassigned to the engineering department. This makes my brother very unhappy, because it looks like he will have to actually work now.

So in a later meeting the same day, my brother bad-mouths the CTO to a bunch of people, calling him a dipshit dumbass, etc. It gets back to the new CTO, who fires him.

Next, he tries to get a job at one of those code academy things as an instructor. He makes it through many rounds of interviews, and they decide to hire him(!!). This particular code academy turns out to be a wholly-owned subsidiary of his former employer, and the new CTO hears that my brother is trying to work there, so he calls the company directly and tells them bad things about my brother. They rescind their offer letter.

At this point, he has about 20k in savings, and then receives a pension buy-out from his former company for 10k. Because he has barely any friends and does nothing except play video games, he is able to live just outside of Manhattan for $1k a month (or so he says).

He then decides to found his own video game company, because that's his 'true passion'. He spends a year working on his 'game', which is a Twitch-plays-Pokemon copycat for a different semi-popular game. A month ago he finally launches it, and has about 10 people logged on at any given moment.

He considers this proof of his success, and passes out business cards saying he's CEO of his own game company, that he's living the dream, etc. He's down to about 10k in savings, and because of his work history and personality I think it's going to be very difficult to find a job. My poor mother has bailed him out of many fiascos in his life (failing out of college, paying his rent, giving him food money) and I'm deeply concerned that she is going to be bankrolling his video game business in a few months. I've convinced her not to pay his rent when he inevitably goes broke, but it's difficult to make her see what a total loser he is, and how his problems are completely his own fault.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

You'd live like a king. Seattle is our second favorite city. Tons to do, safe, beautiful. But god drat, we own a nice house here with a yard. A smaller house in a shady neighborhood would be almost twice the cost, plus higher taxes and utilities.

Seattle is bad rear end, not gonna disparage but if you did have an offer to move to des moines with triple pay, that'd be grounds for divorce. Hell move back when you retire, but it's p awesome here.

It's cool how everyone has the exact same wants as you.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My city is the best city and the only one really worth living in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Investing in gold is bad with money. Investing in weird gold buyback schemes is even worse with money.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/328sxb/i_am_22_years_old_and_just_lost_80_of_my_money_i/ posted:

So I grew up in a typical middle-class family in North Germany. Since my birth, my parents started saving money every month and whenever I got some money for free (birthdays and stuff) I saved it on some bank-account.

So by the time I finished my apprenticeship (last summer), I saved about 20.000€. That being said, I have never been the guy that cared too much about money. When I wanted to buy something, I usually just did. I didn't order a small drink because it was cheaper and I had no problem with buying a new 700€ phone once per year (I wasn't wasteful tho, whenever I could save some money I did).

So about a year ago I met my financial advisor and he is like the nicest guy I have ever met and I really trusted him (I am not sure if I am able to do so anymore atm). When I started earning real money (I work as a software developer, so my salary isn't too bad) he helped me with my finances and told me to invest the money I already had into some gold from a company, that basically sells gold and buys it back a few years later for a guaranteed price so you make some profit. The company was only a few years old but altogether people bought gold worth 60 million euros from said company. I invested 15.000€ for two years and 3.000€ + 100€ per month for 10 years. My mother also invested 10.000€, but she just cares for my money right now.

Well, turns out the company didn't own gold worth 60 million and it was mostly metal or stuff. They now went into insolvency and told me I can't do anything right now but wait for a few month to years to maybe get a small part of my money back.

So right now I am sitting in my room and for the first time in my life, I am truly afraid. I don't depend on the money right now (I still have about 4.500€ on my bank account) but still I am afraid to leave the house, cause I have to spend money.

I just want to lock myself in for a few weeks, with no idea what to do. Any advice, help, tip or whatever will be greatly appreciated.
Bolding mine. How does anyone hear that and go "hmm yes, this sounds like a reasonable business plan"? :psyduck: I mean, it sucks for the dude who lost most of his money, but hopefully he's learned a lesson from all this.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm interviewing in San Francisco in two weeks and couldn't be happier to live in one of the worst rental markets in the country. Of course, since I don't work in tech, I won't be living in the city itself - the boom really has priced out of the middle class, used to be one could live in SF on 70k-ish a year pretty comfortably :(

Also dude your brother sounds like some guys I went to college with. They will never understand how their lack of social niceties holds them back because they see other developers with literal autism succeeding - difference is, the man with autism is a genius with algorithms/visualization/machine learning and is easy to corral into a comfy corner to work for 12 hours a day and you are a dime-a-dozen mediocre code monkey with a bad attitude.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Haifisch posted:

reddit posted:

I had no problem with buying a new 700€ phone once per year (I wasn't wasteful tho, whenever I could save some money I did).

That's some impressive doublethink

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm also saving money when I'm not spending it on things I don't need.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

_areaman posted:

My brother is not so smart with money. He worked as a software developer at a non-tech company in NYC, making decent money but nothing spectacular. The place was so poorly managed that over the 4 years he worked there, he maneuvered his position to be in a department where he was the only engineer, arranged his schedule so that he came in at 11, left at 4, skipped coming in at all on Thursdays, and barely produced any code.

Then a major major shakeup happens because the company's stock is performing so poorly (no surprise). Most of the management is fired, and a new CTO is brought in. My brother has to give a presentation to the CTO where he explains what he does at the company, which apparently doesn't impress the new CTO, who tells him he's going to be reassigned to the engineering department. This makes my brother very unhappy, because it looks like he will have to actually work now.

So in a later meeting the same day, my brother bad-mouths the CTO to a bunch of people, calling him a dipshit dumbass, etc. It gets back to the new CTO, who fires him.

Next, he tries to get a job at one of those code academy things as an instructor. He makes it through many rounds of interviews, and they decide to hire him(!!). This particular code academy turns out to be a wholly-owned subsidiary of his former employer, and the new CTO hears that my brother is trying to work there, so he calls the company directly and tells them bad things about my brother. They rescind their offer letter.

At this point, he has about 20k in savings, and then receives a pension buy-out from his former company for 10k. Because he has barely any friends and does nothing except play video games, he is able to live just outside of Manhattan for $1k a month (or so he says).

He then decides to found his own video game company, because that's his 'true passion'. He spends a year working on his 'game', which is a Twitch-plays-Pokemon copycat for a different semi-popular game. A month ago he finally launches it, and has about 10 people logged on at any given moment.

He considers this proof of his success, and passes out business cards saying he's CEO of his own game company, that he's living the dream, etc. He's down to about 10k in savings, and because of his work history and personality I think it's going to be very difficult to find a job. My poor mother has bailed him out of many fiascos in his life (failing out of college, paying his rent, giving him food money) and I'm deeply concerned that she is going to be bankrolling his video game business in a few months. I've convinced her not to pay his rent when he inevitably goes broke, but it's difficult to make her see what a total loser he is, and how his problems are completely his own fault.

Can you even call yourself a "game company" if all you made is the mechanism that allows people to play a game that you're probably technically illegally running?

EDIT: To contribute a bad with money decision to the thread, my Oculus Rift gets here Tuesday :negative:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How far do people who work menial jobs in San Francisco have to commute? What happens to the service industry when no one can afford to live in the city?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Krispy Kareem posted:

How far do people who work menial jobs in San Francisco have to commute? What happens to the service industry when no one can afford to live in the city?

Mostly they commute from Oakland (which has driven up rental prices there, of course) on the BART. Also, people who are willing to live with roommates can find places for around 800-1200/month for a room that's a bit further from downtown, which obviously works better if you're single and don't have kids, but the minimum wage is something like $11 right now (I just looked it up and it goes to 12.25 next month), and going much higher in the next few years (the city recently passed a $15 minimum wage law that eventually also gets tied to inflation, iirc).

Being a tipped employee is actually pretty decent money (comparatively speaking) since California doesn't exempt them from minimum wage laws, too.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 12, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Watch rent go up 10% in those apartments the next couple of months after they increase the minimum wage

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Watch rent go up 10% in those apartments the next couple of months after they increase the minimum wage

I don't know how the leases work when you're joining as a roommate onto an existing household, but a lot of older buildings are rent-controlled :toot:.

(That is a contributor to why the new buildings are all so much more expensive.)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Then they'll just do what all the other lovely landlords around SF do and find ways to evict current tenants so they can raise the rates. :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That will happen, but not due to the minimum wage increase.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

MrKatharsis posted:

Bad with money, I know.

Hey Des Moines is only like 10 miles away! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines,_Washington

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If the minimum wage went up here it would be sweet for I have a mortgage.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
This reddit post is like a Bad With Money Thread bingo card:

https://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/328lw6/27yrs_old_0_in_savings_wtf_am_i_doing_wrong/

quote:

I'm 27 yrs old, $76K salary, and I still have $0 in savings. I don't understand this because I have no debts either.
My rent is $1100/month. I eat out everyday. And I pay $550/month for life insurance (which I'm supposed to get back with interest when I'm older)...those are basically my main consistent expenses.
And I guess I do have some indirect savings:
$10K in my bank account (but I owe this entire amount to a friend)
$10K in bitcoin (down from $26K)
$28K in 401K
$26K in life insurance savings acct
I supposed those #'s aren't the end of the world... but I'm 27 and I wanted to have a good sum of money in my account by now. Other than 401K/life insurance, which I can't even enjoy until I'm old, I have nothing. I've always imagined having $100K in my bank account by the time I'm 30....I know that's not happening anymore unless I get lucky and bitcoin blows up again.
What are some good money management habits I can adopt? Any changes you recommend I make? Maybe I just need a job that pays a lot more?

Then a reply

quote:

So what do you suggest, I sell my bitcoin immediately at a significant loss? If I do and if by next year the price doubles I would hate myself, and you for that matter.
Most of that $3K went into bottle service in clubs, hotel, hookers, ecstasy and blow. I didn't gamble as much this time.

Slomo parachute account found, I guess.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This reddit post is like a Bad With Money Thread bingo card:

https://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/328lw6/27yrs_old_0_in_savings_wtf_am_i_doing_wrong/

Then a reply

Slomo parachute account found, I guess.

Slomo wouldn't be caught dead in an apartment that cheap. Not baller enough by far.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Life Insurance savings account? :confused: That sounds like a terrible place to keep money.

edit :lol: The guy wants 100k in his checking account. haha.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

What the hell kind of life insurance charges a 27 year old $550/mo? Sounds scammy.

From his responses he's one of those dudes that thinks you have to spend money to feel rich. The disparity between those two concepts will probably hit him around age 60.

What I really don't understand is why people are still doing the bitcoin thing. It's pretty obvious that the ship has already sailed on that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well it's obviously the future dad.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

What is a life insurance savings account? Is it a long term savings account, what happens if you die, what is the point of it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm guessing its whole life insurance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_life_insurance

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Not a Children posted:

Then they'll just do what all the other lovely landlords around SF do and find ways to evict current tenants so they can raise the rates. :toot:

Unless their property taxes are reduced by rent control, there is a very strong incentive to do this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Haha dumbass got conned by bitcoin and life insurance. And probably free loading friends as well for the alcohol and drugs. He is a honey pot sucker.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

There's also insurance where you get your premiums back at the end of the term. You pay a lot more for that option and you aren't paid interest for your 20 year loan to Mutual of Omaha, but I guess it's a way to protect your loved ones and get a sudden windfall when you get your premiums back. You're essentially gambling you don't die.

But this fucker doesn't even have loved ones. Who the gently caress is the paying $550 a month to financially protect?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

He's going to enjoy his life insurance later, from his post. :psyduck:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Who the gently caress is he paying $550 a month to financially protect?

The insurance broker :downs:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Zool posted:

Unless their property taxes are reduced by rent control, there is a very strong incentive to do this.

In CA, property taxes are capped at 1% and reassessments don't happen on any regular schedule. In fact, my guess is that kicking everyone out and playing what ever tricks need to be played to end rent control is a sure fire way to get a reassessment.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

In CA, property taxes are capped at 1% and reassessments don't happen on any regular schedule. In fact, my guess is that kicking everyone out and playing what ever tricks need to be played to end rent control is a sure fire way to get a reassessment.

My perspective is admittedly biased as that of a small time landlord in a market without rent control - but my impression of rent control in the style of SF and NYC (excluding new construction and with strict rules that restrain rent increases, non renewals, and evictions) is that it primarily benefits a small number of long time tenants who have held out in the same units for many years and now live at a small fraction of market rent, and serves to keep a stock of older housing such as rooms and basement apartments that would otherwise be affordable vis a vis the rest of the market, off the market.

I'm skeptical of the fundamental arguments behind rent control which are that landlords are able to extort unfair rent increases out of tenants because the transaction costs of moving are just too high. I may be in the minority but when I increase rent it is done thoughtfully with respect to comparable rents, inevitable increases in my tax and insurance expenses, and my willingness to seek a new tenant (which also involves significant transaction costs!). In my opinion a rent increase that a tenant voluntarily agrees to pay in exchange for renewal at the end of a lease contract is by definition a "fair" increase.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's also insurance where you get your premiums back at the end of the term. You pay a lot more for that option and you aren't paid interest for your 20 year loan to Mutual of Omaha, but I guess it's a way to protect your loved ones and get a sudden windfall when you get your premiums back. You're essentially gambling you don't die.

But this fucker doesn't even have loved ones. Who the gently caress is the paying $550 a month to financially protect?

I think this is what my dad has on us. Every 5 to 10 years, he reminds me that he has some life insurance on us that we will eventually see some sort of money back from since he'll just give us the money. I'm not too sure on it because I'd be dead if it paid out, so I'm not too interested. I believe it's only $5 a month, though. And he mentioned that he tried to get some for my nephew, but the insurance company doesn't offer it anymore.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

My perspective is admittedly biased as that of a small time landlord in a market without rent control - but my impression of rent control in the style of SF and NYC (excluding new construction and with strict rules that restrain rent increases, non renewals, and evictions) is that it primarily benefits a small number of long time tenants who have held out in the same units for many years and now live at a small fraction of market rent, and serves to keep a stock of older housing such as rooms and basement apartments that would otherwise be affordable vis a vis the rest of the market, off the market.

I'm skeptical of the fundamental arguments behind rent control which are that landlords are able to extort unfair rent increases out of tenants because the transaction costs of moving are just too high. I may be in the minority but when I increase rent it is done thoughtfully with respect to comparable rents, inevitable increases in my tax and insurance expenses, and my willingness to seek a new tenant (which also involves significant transaction costs!). In my opinion a rent increase that a tenant voluntarily agrees to pay in exchange for renewal at the end of a lease contract is by definition a "fair" increase.

Zool said "[u]nless their property taxes are reduced by rent control, there is a very strong incentive to [kick rent controlled tenants out in SF in order to raise rates]." But CA property taxes don't work this way, as far as I know. The merits (or lack thereof) of rent control is a different issue for another thread.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Krispy Kareem posted:

People are less willing to accept low wages for jobs in San Francisco, and wages rise in the service industry, along with prices.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He owns $10k of bitcoin and owes a friend $10k. What an arsehole.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Zool posted:

This probably belongs more in the CA politics thread but yes, this is what's been happening and people are screaming bloody murder. (Except for the property tax part; CA doesn't reassess property taxes regularly for some dipshit reason or something (Prop 13).)

The real kick in the teeth is that the last person who went to the media to publicly shame a landlord who tried to evict them turned out to be renting out her below-market apartment as a hotel on AirBnB at market rates (90/night).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Devian666 posted:

He owns $10k of bitcoin and owes a friend $10k. What an arsehole.

How much do you want to bet that he's already tried offering his friend $1-2 grand in buttcoins to settle the debt, under the justification "they'll be worth millions one day, so I'm actually doing YOU a favour!"

• Locked thread