Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What is the best single slot (pref nvidia) gpu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Any money spent on the extra VRAM for the GTX 960 would be much better spent on the next step up of GPU. An R9 290 is around the 260 dollar range and completely stomps a GTX 960 in everything but size and power consumption. If you want to stick with nvidia the GTX 970, even with the memory issue, is still the video card of choice for people on a sane budget.

Geirskogul posted:

There are GTX 750 Ti variants that are single slot, those look to be the best solution right now.

http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__/Product2/ProductDetail?proID=598

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 11, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Technically the PNY GTX 970 fits all it's I/O into one slot, so with a water block or some other DIY insanity it could be made into a single slot card as well.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

What problem are you trying to solve? Some more information might let us come up with a better solution.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you want the truly best single slot solution it is a R9 295X2 with an EK water block to make it single slot. You'd be looking at spending close to a grand with all the watercooling parts required.

Best air cooled single slot card is a Galaxy 750ti single slot card (make sure to get the full height one with the proper single slot cooler, the half height one has a 1.5 slot cooler). The best possible Nvidia single slot card is a 980 Kingpin with a waterblock.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HERAK posted:

What problem are you trying to solve? Some more information might let us come up with a better solution.

I know how to compare performance numbers, know how to spec out and budget a PSU, how to manage airflow, and I can assure you that whatever is on the market now is better than what I currently have. My problem is simple: the case I have and love can only accommodate a single slot aircooled card. I'm also in a bad internet area right now, and don't have even the few hours or megabytes of data to cross-shop, and I thought SA is a reasonable place to ask.

There's no specific weird problem I need to solve or elaborate on.

Thanks for the answers, other posters. Gives me a few targets to look out for. I thought nearly every card had moved to dual slot cooling, and I'm glad to see there are still options.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Geirskogul posted:

ASUS ARES III (water cooled 295x2), or an equivalent custom water-loop setup, assuming that "the most powerful thing that fits in a single slot" is the only constraint. SLI'd you'd be better off with the Kingpin and a water-cooling setup, since 2x295x2 is technically a quadfire setup.

Generally speaking you will get a lot better return-on-investment spending your money on a case that will support dual-slot cards, however. The 750ti is not all that powerful a card, and anything high-end requires radiator mounts that an older+smaller case may not have. I do understand emotional investment if you've got something super modded or something, but even a small or cheap modern case will be much more compatible and have much better design (airflow, cable routing, etc). Cases to check out: NZXT S340, Bitfenix Prodigy, Cooler Master Elite 130, Cooler Master Stacker 915F / 915R.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 11, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spasticColon posted:

I'm really tempted to just get a 4GB 960 and overclock it specifically the VRAM or is that a bad idea? I overclocked the VRAM on my 660Ti but its still just a 2GB card with the last 512MB only being 64-bit which is even worse than the memory bus on the 960.

You'd have to be a genuine dyed-in-the-wool NVIDIA guy with not enough money to buy a 970 to actually consider a 4GB 960, since AMD has the 290 at that price point which is a far faster card.

The 960 is an OK card, but only at its 2GB price point (arguably the 280 is still the better price/perf because of the extra VRAM at a lower price. The 280X, even though it's an old card, is definitely ahead on the price/perf curve).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 11, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

ASUS ARES III (water cooled 295x2), or an equivalent custom water-loop setup, assuming that "the most powerful thing that fits in a single slot" is the only constraint. SLI'd you'd be better off with the Kingpin and a water-cooling setup, since 2x295x2 is technically a quadfire setup.

Generally speaking you will get a lot better return-on-investment spending your money on a case that will support dual-slot cards, however. The 750ti is not all that powerful a card, and anything high-end requires radiator mounts that an older+smaller case may not have. I do understand emotional investment if you've got something super modded or something, but even a small or cheap modern case will be much more compatible and have much better design (airflow, cable routing, etc). Cases to check out: NZXT S340, Bitfenix Prodigy, Cooler Master Elite 130, Cooler Master Stacker 915F / 915R.

Or I'm on deployment and can get something like a card in the mail but a new case is out of the question, as is water cooling. Jesus I was hoping I didn't have to get into the details.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Forget it. The 960 has a 128-bit memory bus. You're only going to wind up with a thinner wallet and tears. And maybe getting a 970 after paying restocking fees on the 960 in the end.

While the bus is low it is still much faster than "conventional" 128-bit bus let alone the 192/64 bit bus the GTX 660/660Ti had. But to be said in this Guru3D review there was only little performance difference between 2gb or 4gb cards. Unfortunately they did not test Thief or Shadow of Mordor in overclocked mode.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I know how to compare performance numbers, know how to spec out and budget a PSU, how to manage airflow, and I can assure you that whatever is on the market now is better than what I currently have. My problem is simple: the case I have and love can only accommodate a single slot aircooled card. I'm also in a bad internet area right now, and don't have even the few hours or megabytes of data to cross-shop, and I thought SA is a reasonable place to ask.

There's no specific weird problem I need to solve or elaborate on.

Now that we know that crucial piece of info I would suggest a new case (my pick without knowing what's going in it would be a fractal design define r5) and an Asus or MSI GTX 970. Otherwise you are looking at an underpowered single slot card or a custom watercooled card possibly an evga kingpin with the pcie bracket dremmeled to fit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:laugh:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rosoboronexport posted:

While the bus is low it is still much faster than "conventional" 128-bit bus let alone the 192/64 bit bus the GTX 660/660Ti had. But to be said in this Guru3D review there was only little performance difference between 2gb or 4gb cards. Unfortunately they did not test Thief or Shadow of Mordor in overclocked mode.

The big difference between the 2 and 4 gig cards isn't the average frame time, but the lowest frame times. The 4 gig cards will give a smoother experience overall since it won't need to page data to and from system memory like the 2 gig cards.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well when is Nvidia going to refresh their cards again? I might just hobble along with my 660Ti until then instead.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

spasticColon posted:

Well when is Nvidia going to refresh their cards again? I might just hobble along with my 660Ti until then instead.

2016, but even with my 550ti I don't feel like upgrading.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Not a refresh, but there's supposed to be a 980ti coming. Fully unlocked Titan X core with 6GB VRAM instead of 12GB.

e: Should have read the context, that's going to be slightly out of your price range :doh:

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 11, 2015

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Or I'm on deployment and can get something like a card in the mail but a new case is out of the question, as is water cooling. Jesus I was hoping I didn't have to get into the details.

Wow you're a giant baby. You already got an answer so why do you keep coming back to bitch? Also this thread isn't even for parts picking which is the first line in the OP.

wargames posted:

What are you playing that you are still doing fine on that card? I dumped my 550ti a long time ago and regretted it even new.

beejay fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 11, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Geirskogul posted:

I too get mad at people when they give you good advice and you didn't explain the use case, particularly when the advice is free.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

wargames posted:

So no new cards until Pascal? I thought Nvidia was going to do a 20nm or 16nm refresh of Maxwell at some point.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spasticColon posted:

So no new cards until Pascal? I thought Nvidia was going to do a 20nm or 16nm refresh of Maxwell at some point.

Maybe if AMD's new cards in June have a non-trivial performance advantage at similar price points, but as of right now it's probably best not to hold your breath.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Maybe if AMD's new cards in June have a non-trivial performance advantage at similar price points
970 is still fast enough that they'd just have to drop price to keep winning at performance/price.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I got my 970 today and was happy to see that my Corsair vx450w didn't imminently explode when I booted my PC up. However, while playing Wolfenstien at maxed settings, I started to notice that NPCs would sometimes flash white and other colors for a split second and its got me a touch concerned thinking that it might be a symptom of my PSU not being able to put out enough power. Are my concerns justified or could it be something else?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

spasticColon posted:

20nm is still hosed at last check.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
get a 290x, it is great for 2560x1440.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Michael Jackson posted:

get a 290x, it is great for 2560x1440.

thanks for the info, michael jackson

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

thanks for the info, michael jackson

you are welcome, instant grat

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I got my 970 today and was happy to see that my Corsair vx450w didn't imminently explode when I booted my PC up. However, while playing Wolfenstien at maxed settings, I started to notice that NPCs would sometimes flash white and other colors for a split second and its got me a touch concerned thinking that it might be a symptom of my PSU not being able to put out enough power. Are my concerns justified or could it be something else?

What is your PSU?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

What is your PSU?

quote:

my Corsair vx450w
lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Herp, derp. I need coffee.

970 has a TDP of 145W. You SHOULD be good there.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have a 450w SeaSonic and my 970 has been fine, even though it draws like 20w more than my 7850 did. I don't have a ton of stuff in my computer though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Try running HWiNFO set to run in sensors-only mode while running Wolfenstein and see if it happens again. Post the section of HWiNFO that shows the min/max +3.3V, +5V, +12V, Vcore, Dimm etc readings after. Still of the opinion that the PSU probably needs replacing but if software voltage readings are dropping too much it'd make a stronger case.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

beejay posted:

Wow you're a giant baby. You already got an answer so why do you keep coming back to bitch? Also this thread isn't even for parts picking which is the first line in the OP.

What are you playing that you are still doing fine on that card? I dumped my 550ti a long time ago and regretted it even new.

Arma 3, skyrim, war thunder, payday 2. The biggest bottleneck in my system was cpu/ram.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I was on vacation lat week. Finally got the Titan X in. It's running stable on water with modded bios at 1499/8000 :) Temps top out at 39C. This thing is a monster. No regrets.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

veedubfreak posted:

So I was on vacation lat week. Finally got the Titan X in. It's running stable on water with modded bios at 1499/8000 :) Temps top out at 39C. This thing is a monster. No regrets.
Can you post some kind of benchmark so we can fellate your ego further? I'd like to know how it stacks up against SLI 970s.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

When's the second coming?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been reading about the GTX 970 VRAM split issue. Pretty sure I still want to go with this card as it's right in my budget, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

This is going into a gaming system built with Steam in-home streaming as a consideration. I don't play any overly-taxing games, mostly Final Fantasy XIV and TF2, and some PS3/360-era games like Dark Souls. I don't know if the streaming adds any extra overhead onto the GPU, or if the CPU takes the brunt of that.

When could I expect to run into issues? I've heard that it really only happens on some newer games with maxed-out settings. I'm seeing quite a few people online going apeshit over it, but I feel like the problem is really overblown for what seems like an otherwise great GPU.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card? No idea if there's any recommended practice like "try lowering this feature first" or if it's just trial and error based on each game/application.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

When's the second coming?

You mean the 980Ti?

DizzyBum posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card?

I don't think anyone has even found ways to hit it really, let alone work around it. I certainly haven't, and I'm running 2x970 with things maxed all over the place.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 13, 2015

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

DizzyBum posted:

I've been reading about the GTX 970 VRAM split issue. Pretty sure I still want to go with this card as it's right in my budget, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with the VRAM issue.

This is going into a gaming system built with Steam in-home streaming as a consideration. I don't play any overly-taxing games, mostly Final Fantasy XIV and TF2, and some PS3/360-era games like Dark Souls. I don't know if the streaming adds any extra overhead onto the GPU, or if the CPU takes the brunt of that.

When could I expect to run into issues? I've heard that it really only happens on some newer games with maxed-out settings. I'm seeing quite a few people online going apeshit over it, but I feel like the problem is really overblown for what seems like an otherwise great GPU.

Does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card?

I'm gonna quote myself from the parts picking thread:

Instant Grat posted:

Architectural nonsense means VRAM access speeds drop to anywhere down to almost 50% if it has to access the last .5GB of its memory. The driver is aware of this and will do whatever it can to stop the card having to use that memory. This does not invalidate any of the benchmarks you may see for the 970, it is still absolutely the highest you can go before price/performance falls off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

You mean the 980Ti?

Hah, no, I was referring to the possibility of Titan X SLI - lightly teasing him because of his history of buying a lot of high end cards. I'd love a Titan X myself, though...