Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Turk February posted:

lol runnin' and gunnin' cod style. Thanks Valve.

Watching Dignitas vs. Na'Vi, and the announcer said "Run n gun" right at the moment I read this post. Tripped me out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That was a really sick flash

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Looking at the ESL stream, how loving close do these people play to their monitors?? Looks like a couple inches away, it's crazy.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

I've played my fair share of CS over the years. Is there a group of SomethingAwful members (or just bearable players) that play in the competitive mode regularly? I don't like playing with children, but I also don't want to play with people who take the game too seriously.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mandator posted:

I've played my fair share of CS over the years. Is there a group of SomethingAwful members (or just bearable players) that play in the competitive mode regularly? I don't like playing with children, but I also don't want to play with people who take the game too seriously.

Add me on steam my steam name is same as my SA username. I'm silver 5

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Mandator posted:

I don't like playing with children, but I also don't want to play with people who take the game too seriously.

We are exclusively a community of players who either are grown children or take the game too seriously(or both).

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

We are exclusively a community of players who either are grown children or take the game too seriously(or both).

Well I guess that's fine as long as there's not a 4chan-esque atmosphere.

Mandator fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 11, 2015

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mandator posted:

Jump into the chat room in the Steam group and I'm sure you can find plenty of people who will either MM or play on one of the two goon servers.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Awesome Welles posted:

Jump into the chat room in the Steam group and I'm sure you can find plenty of people who will either MM or play on one of the two goon servers.
Chatroom's been dead for like three weeks so I mean :shrug:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

UltraVariant posted:

Chatroom's been dead for like three weeks so I mean :shrug:

...Has it? I was just saying from memory that there were always people in there haha, didn't realize it just straight up died off :rip:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Awesome Welles posted:

...Has it? I was just saying from memory that there were always people in there haha, didn't realize it just straight up died off
Pretty much. Usually the only people active there now are myself and t0ttage (when he's in there at least).

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Play at whatever age IMO. The age thing is talked about too much and it's kind of gay. Are we going to put people's weight and height in there too? I think we should replace 'age' with '3x powerlift total' in all the esports poo poo where they give player stats.

well age has a direct correlation with hand eye coordination and weight/height doesn't maybe

sorry you're 40 and still playing csgo

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Apparition posted:

well age has a direct correlation with hand eye coordination and weight/height doesn't maybe

Do you have a study you could link regarding this?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yes yes, I do believe Margaret Mead did a study on this after she finished up with how Samoans have sex or whatever she did.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Magnus Gallant posted:

http://psychsocgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/3/P151.full

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Apparition posted:

It does but we're playing a video game. Younger people are generally better at everything, but depending on what you're doing it might be more or less significant. I'm not old I just think it's silly

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Also I bet weight (or at least bodyfat %) probably does have an effect and fitter people are probably more coordinated and in better mental condition

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Also I bet weight (or at least bodyfat %) probably does have an effect and fitter people are probably more coordinated and in better mental condition

I always wondered that, but many of the best players of whatever videogame you choose are just as fat/unfit as you might imagine.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Jeza posted:

I always wondered that, but many of the best players of whatever videogame you choose are just as fat/unfit as you might imagine.

That's because the best players in games are the ones who can spend the most time genuinely trying to get better at the game

This means younger people who can live on nothing and sit at the PC, and also younger people can stay more mentally acute with less exercise because their bodies are better. Fatties will make it into the mix because they're clearly not doing anything else. Older people, to feel good mentally, need more exercise I think (Source: I'm talking out my rear end but I'm pretty sure this is true)

A lot of European players are in fairly good shape and most out of shape players are twinks, I'd say the pro scene is probably less than 15% fat dudes

ARMCHIR ESPORTSCHAT FUCKYEAH

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Yesterday I was on fire and couldn't miss a shot if I tried, now I am unable to hit a barn door, much less a moving head. RIP my skills overnight.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

That's because the best players in games are the ones who can spend the most time genuinely trying to get better at the game

This means younger people who can live on nothing and sit at the PC, and also younger people can stay more mentally acute with less exercise because their bodies are better. Fatties will make it into the mix because they're clearly not doing anything else. Older people, to feel good mentally, need more exercise I think (Source: I'm talking out my rear end but I'm pretty sure this is true)

A lot of European players are in fairly good shape and most out of shape players are twinks, I'd say the pro scene is probably less than 15% fat dudes

EU is about 15% obese, and that is disproportionately the middle-aged so that sounds about right.

I honestly do think there is a fairly stark drop off in terms of skill as you get older. All the best aimers seem to be young, and experience counter-balances that up until about mid 20s. Then really only very few players seem to stick around. Obviously a lot of people grow up and do real jobs etc. but a lot of players do seem to just 'lose it' past a certain point. Hard to tell if that's just a question of how much time they dedicate to playing or a physical thing. Pretty sure anybody aged over 30 has never won anything in any videogame.

You can still be better than 99% of other players, but you'll never be at the very cutting edge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Carol Pizzamom posted:

One of the pro Dota players was actually talking about how building muscle made his mouse coordination worse, so he stopped going to the gym because of it. That might have been just a personal issue, though, and that dude isn't particularly unfit in the first place (or at least he doesn't look like it).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I really don't follow it closely enough to know for sure, but I think a lot of pro fighting game duders are on the "old" side. Like Justin Wong and Daigo are both 30+, at least.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Mechanics and reaction times are important (see: KennyS) but Counter-Strike is a game where it matters less than say, Starcraft or something.

The mental game doesn't go away as you get older.

And yeah Bohemian nailed it, some genres you can still win as an oldie, fighting games case in point.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Jeza posted:

EU is about 15% obese, and that is disproportionately the middle-aged so that sounds about right.

I honestly do think there is a fairly stark drop off in terms of skill as you get older. All the best aimers seem to be young, and experience counter-balances that up until about mid 20s. Then really only very few players seem to stick around. Obviously a lot of people grow up and do real jobs etc. but a lot of players do seem to just 'lose it' past a certain point. Hard to tell if that's just a question of how much time they dedicate to playing or a physical thing. Pretty sure anybody aged over 30 has never won anything in any videogame.

You can still be better than 99% of other players, but you'll never be at the very cutting edge.

I agree that you'll fall off in a lot of things but I think a lot of that has to do with where people's priorities start lying. Do something for 12 years of your life, then you might start to get bored of it and start to want a long term career, maybe some other hobbies, like something where you see sunshine

Also Taz was stated as being one of the oldest players and when his aim is on point it's unbelievable. I doubt your aim falls off so much as your reaction time (Until you're like, 35 or whatever), but I remember nothing tested his reaction time and said it was totally normal to the point of mediocrity

Also remember that of the generations that did a lot of competitive counter strike seriously, anyone who is 30 or older would've been on the generation where the game wasn't even really fleshed out/the scene wasn't as well developed

Broken Cog posted:

One of the pro Dota players was actually talking about how building muscle made his mouse coordination worse, so he stopped going to the gym because of it. That might have been just a personal issue, though, and that dude isn't particularly unfit in the first place (or at least he doesn't look like it).
That's interesting.. There's different ways to be fit, though. Lifting for mass is a common one but not the only one

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yesterday I was on fire and couldn't miss a shot if I tried, now I am unable to hit a barn door, much less a moving head. RIP my skills overnight.

Everyone has good and bad days, usually but not always correlated with how good a night's sleep you got.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I have a bad day every time I comp without deathmatching first. If you're good and experienced you probably don't need this but if you've been playing less than half a year you probably benefit from it every single time

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

It does but we're playing a video game. Younger people are generally better at everything, but depending on what you're doing it might be more or less significant. I'm not old I just think it's silly

Are you seriously arguing that getting older doesn't affect reaction times?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

afkmacro posted:

Not at the rate some people make it out to be. Like aren't there very very very miniscule differences between reaction times of thirty year olds and twenty somethings. I can definitely see a slowdown come forties

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Does the ranking system take scores into account or is it purely win/lose ratio?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phosphia posted:

Does the ranking system take scores into account or is it purely win/lose ratio?
It's based on winning and losing rounds, possibly with some small influence from MVP. Winning/losing the game as a whole isn't important. It's also all weighted based on the teams such that you can rank up/down on a tie, or rank up/down on a close loss/win if the teams were imbalanced enough.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Phosphia posted:

(^^^^^) no one actually knows but broadly it seems to be weighted by how many rounds the ELO system expected you to take vs. actual, whether or not you win/lose/draw

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

afkmacro posted:

When did I say it didn't. I said in the post you quoted that young people are better at nearly everything. Young people are even better at stuff like math

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

I really don't follow it closely enough to know for sure, but I think a lot of pro fighting game duders are on the "old" side. Like Justin Wong and Daigo are both 30+, at least.

Fighting games depend much more on knowledge and mind games as opposed to twitch reactions.

Also, isn't there something about fast muscle fibers decaying in your late 30s or something?

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item
I'm 33......... I should stop playing.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I'm not great at the game but I'm playing with people who get their first and only kill in the 17th round. Is that just how Silver 4 is?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

^^ Yeah, they're new, why should they be good?

Ephedra posted:

I'm 33......... I should stop playing.

You could become a weird old gun nut and play pretend counter strike in your house

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

When did I say it didn't. I said in the post you quoted that young people are better at nearly everything. Young people are even better at stuff like math

It's definitely the impression i got from your posts. Personally I remember 150-200ms reaction times using the dumb click tests 10 or 15 years ago, now I average around 300.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You could become a weird old gun nut and play pretend counter strike in your house

What makes you think that Ephedra doesn't already do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

afkmacro posted:

It's definitely the impression i got from your posts. Personally I remember 150-200ms reaction times using the dumb click tests 10 or 15 years ago, now I average around 300.

I'm not implying that there isn't a difference at all, more that in a game where a huge variety of things can make you good or suck, the pure focus on age is a bit silly, especially since almost all the players are under 30

Also, that there's better explanations for why young people are professional counter strike players than fast twitch muscle/brain fiber

• Locked thread