Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney is releasing Swiss Family Robinson and Return to Oz as Disney Movie Club exclusives.

I'd love to have Return to Oz - how does one get into this club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Wire is down to $110, if anyone was waiting for that particular price point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slate Action posted:

The Wire is down to $110, if anyone was waiting for that particular price point.
Oh man that's a steal. I was already going to pick it up eventually but figured I'd do it closer to the actual release date. Might as well take the dive now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
edit: nevermind, I'm dumb and can't read.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

I still have a asian bootleg of Kill Bill that keeps the scene in colour, and adds one or two more moments more at the end. I still can't bring myself to part with it even though I've ditched most of my DVDs.

I would love to own that DVD

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's a fan edited Whole Bloody Affair bootleg that's readily available in the places things like that are available.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

There's a fan edited Whole Bloody Affair bootleg that's readily available in the places things like that are available.

Whole Bloody Affair is suppose to have new footage as well.

QT in 2014 posted:

What’s the status on Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?

TARANTINO: What’s going on with that is originally back when Kill Bill was going to be one movie, I wrote an even longer anime sequence. So you see in the movie [O-Ren] kill her boss but then there was that long hair guy… The big sequence was her fighting that guy. I.G. [The Japanese Anime Studio] who did Ghost in the Shell said we can’t do that and finish it in time for your thing. And [plus] you can’t have a thirty-minute piece in your movie. I said – ‘ok’. It was my favorite part but it was the part you could drop. So we dropped it and then later when I.G. heard we were talking about doing Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair — they still had the script so without even being commissioned, they just did it and paid for it themselves. It’s really terrific. Anyway – The Weinstein Company and myself were talking about actually coming out with it sometime, not before the year is out, but within the next year with limited theatrical engagement as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Whole Bloody Affair is suppose to have new footage as well.

Yeah, it doesn't have that of course, but it takes stuff from the Japanese DVD, deleted scenes, etc. and puts them all back in. It's as close as we'll probably ever get.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have that of course, but it takes stuff from the Japanese DVD, deleted scenes, etc. and puts them all back in. It's as close as we'll probably ever get.

What about the Director's Cut of Freddy Got Fingered. Mother loving nobody has that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yaws posted:

I would love to own that DVD

I was dumb enough to buy the Japanese box set for the first movie, but I do really like the differences in it. Not just the colorised fight scene, but at the end where she's got Sophie in the back of the car, instead of cutting away like the US print, The Bride grabs at her and slices her other arm off. It's why she looks so pissed in that shot later on

The only problem is that you either leave the English sub track on the entire time, or you turn it on and off by hand. Gets a bit annoying.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is that the version that switches the Klingon proverb at the beginning for a dedication to a director, whose name I can't remember?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like it, I haven't seen either cut for years but according to iMDB -

quote:

In the Japanese version, the old Klingon proverb at the beginning was replaced with a dedication to Kinji Fukasaku: "This film is dedicated to master filmmaker - Kinji Fukasaku 1930 - 2003"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino is finally rescuing the public domain staple The Front Page:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16463

Pretty good movie, but it's always had awful quality public domain editions. This is a new 35mm restoration by the Library of Congress. It was also the basis for Howard Hawks' remake His Girl Friday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From CriterionForum.org..

Upcoming Flicker Alley releases:

3-D Rarities (from The 3-D Film Archive) - June 10
Includes 22 short films ranging from 1922 to 1962. Films include four Norman McLaren films produced for the NFB Canada, trailers for 3-D features, and "Boo Moon" a 3-D Casper cartoon.
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/3-d-rarities

Masterworks of American Avant-Garde Experimental Film 1920-1970 - TBD
(No specifics on Flicker Alley's site yet, but it will include Francis Thompson's N.Y., N.Y.)

Chaplin Essanay Comedies

The Birth of a Nation (new Photoplay Productions restoration)

The Best of Cinerama

The Lost World (1925)

Sherlock Holmes (1916, starring William Gillette - previously lost film found last year)

Also, according to the 3-D Film Archive website, they are working on 3-D restorations of Gog and The Mask to be released through Kino Lorber.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

And in "this but not True Lies?" news, The Sure Thing just got a blu-ray release. Good old school John Cusack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJN34J6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK&coliid=II9VE3S822VBQ

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Where is a good place to get a replacement bluray case for four disc set? I bought one of the Dragon Ball Kai sets that has four discs, but the top of the case is breaking apart from shipping.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

You can get empty bluray cases of various sizes on Amazon. Not the most cost-efficient option, but in order to get them cheaper you'd need to buy like 20 of them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are there any sales charts that show how blu-ray sales are doing now and how they compare to DVD sales?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Are there any sales charts that show how blu-ray sales are doing now and how they compare to DVD sales?

I've never seen actual charts but from what I hear they're not doing nearly as well as DVDs in their heyday or even now. This is why Fox won't release any more of their television properties on BD.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 10, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CPL593H posted:

I've never seen actual charts but from what I hear they're not doing nearly as well as DVDs in their heyday or even now. This is why Fox won't release any more of their television properties on BD.

Hell, they're giving up on releasing The Simpsons at all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Hell, they're giving up on releasing The Simpsons at all.

I'd much rather see the X-Files, but I'm not holding my breath. The Simpsons DVDs look fine to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame, because online streaming simply doesn't have comparable bandwidth. 1080p on iTunes uses a different compression to 720p and looks *worse* for TV episodes when you A/B.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a shame, because online streaming simply doesn't have comparable bandwidth. 1080p on iTunes uses a different compression to 720p and looks *worse* for TV episodes when you A/B.

Not only that but you have to hope that whoever's service you buy them on has staying power, not to mention what happens if you move to where that provider doesn't have service.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is one of those things most people don't give a gently caress about which is why blu-ray is more or less a niche format for nerds.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Honestly, I think The Simpsons looks weird in HD. Maybe the old episodes would translate better, but I don't mind the quality of the DVDs at all.

For blu ray cases, check out dollar stores. They sometimes carry things like this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Pretty sure egon was talking about Fox's recent decision to not release any further Simpsons in any physical format, DVD included.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Honestly, I think The Simpsons looks weird in HD. Maybe the old episodes would translate better, but I don't mind the quality of the DVDs at all.

For blu ray cases, check out dollar stores. They sometimes carry things like this.

It's crisper, but it's also a lot more basic. I looked at a still shot from the intro sequence between a classic era episode and a HD era episode, and the old one has so much more going on in the shot than the new one does. Maybe it didn't scale well or, more likely, they got lazy with the animation.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time June/August releases (from Blu-Ray.com):

THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT (1964) BLU-RAY - July 14th

THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS (1989) BLU-RAY - July 14th

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING (1959) BLU-RAY - July 14th

PLACES IN THE HEART (1984) BLU-RAY - July 14th

A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY (1987) BLU-RAY - July 14th

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY (1982) BLU-RAY - Aug 11th

SUMMER LOVERS (1982) BLU-RAY - Aug 11th

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967) BLU-RAY - Aug 11th

HOUSE OF BAMBOO (1955) BLU-RAY - Aug 11th

THE LITTLE HOUSE (Chiisai Ouchi) (2014) BLU-RAY - Aug 11th

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's crisper, but it's also a lot more basic. I looked at a still shot from the intro sequence between a classic era episode and a HD era episode, and the old one has so much more going on in the shot than the new one does. Maybe it didn't scale well or, more likely, they got lazy with the animation.

They bought nice new whips in Korea.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The HD versions of the old Simpsons episodes I've seen on tv look horrible. They've been cropped from 4:3 into 16:9. This is especially bad for the Simpsons because a lot of great gags rely on visuals that are often left ruined or completely unseen because of the cropping. The animation itself looks really off too like they were excessively scrubbed by DNR during the "upconversion".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They had Reliance Mediaworks remaster the show from the tape masters. The proper 4x3 versions look great for being 1080p upscales of 480i video.

BTW, PBS is having Ken Burns' The Civil War remastered from the original 35mm negatives in 4K resolution for Blu-Ray release later this year (and a September re-broadcast). The remaster is being supervised by the original editor and George Eastman House.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CPL593H posted:

Supposedly about 2/3 of households have a Blu-Ray player, more than that probably have a capable TV (I don't know what the average lifespan of TVs are).

Egbert Souse posted:

BTW, PBS is having Ken Burns' The Civil War remastered from the original 35mm negatives in 4K resolution for Blu-Ray release later this year (and a September re-broadcast). The remaster is being supervised by the original editor and George Eastman House.

Oh good, there's a version out now but it's cropped, I hope this one is better.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

computer parts posted:

Oh good, there's a version out now but it's cropped, I hope this one is better.

Remastering at 4K would make it possible to have full quality HD masters of both the original 4x3 and a cropped 16x9 version. Previous versions, even the remastered DVD, used video-based masters from 35mm interpositives.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

Fox is handling their TV home releases terribly, and it's not because BD sales are bad - it's because Fox is terrible.

Is DVD not the insane moneytrain it used to be? Sure. And is BD not catching on the way they hoped? Definitely. But to imply there is no money there, that they have no choice but to stop even releasing The Simpsons on DVD (plus their near-complete abandonment of TV on BD and releasing of even current, successful, continuing shows on MOD DVD-R like Louie and Bob's Burgers) is bullshit.

Ancient shows are getting BD revivals, Shout is squeezing blood from stones ever drat week with real niche DVD and BD releases, and Olive just loving licensed King of the Hill to finally finish the DVD seasons that Fox wouldn't, but poor Fox with loving culture-defining The Simpsons just can't afford the yearly DVD release anymore, boo hoo. I'm sure some other company would snap at the loving chance to license The Simpsons for DVD, I just hope Fox lets someone do that instead of going "Meh, streaming and/or MOD DVD-R bullshit is good enough" (no, it's not, gently caress you).

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If Fox did a limited edition box set of The X-Files on blu-ray they could charge...quite a lot of money and it would still sell out very fast.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Fox is handling their TV home releases terribly, and it's not because BD sales are bad - it's because Fox is terrible.

Is DVD not the insane moneytrain it used to be? Sure. And is BD not catching on the way they hoped? Definitely. But to imply there is no money there, that they have no choice but to stop even releasing The Simpsons on DVD (plus their near-complete abandonment of TV on BD and releasing of even current, successful, continuing shows on MOD DVD-R like Louie and Bob's Burgers) is bullshit.

Ancient shows are getting BD revivals, Shout is squeezing blood from stones ever drat week with real niche DVD and BD releases, and Olive just loving licensed King of the Hill to finally finish the DVD seasons that Fox wouldn't, but poor Fox with loving culture-defining The Simpsons just can't afford the yearly DVD release anymore, boo hoo. I'm sure some other company would snap at the loving chance to license The Simpsons for DVD, I just hope Fox lets someone do that instead of going "Meh, streaming and/or MOD DVD-R bullshit is good enough" (no, it's not, gently caress you).

Oh I don't deny that this is because Fox is terrible. I just happen to know their whole reasoning is "wahhh not enough people want it". That being said, the last 15 years of the Simpsons is utter poo poo so that's no loss. But current hits like Louie, It's Always Sunny in Philadephia, and Bob's Burgers (among others) not being available on BD is just real stupid no matter what.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I heard about them cutting off The Simpsons on BD, but they're cutting off their other shows too? Jesus, that's probably a good amount of sales that they're losing :stare:

Digital is getting more and more prevalent all the time, yeah, but it's not like physical media is completely dead yet.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I heard about them cutting off The Simpsons on BD, but they're cutting off their other shows too? Jesus, that's probably a good amount of sales that they're losing :stare:

There is plenty of money left in these properties. License Louie, Bob's Burgers, It's Always Sunny, The League, The Simpsons, etc. to any label and they'd be ecstatic. Or hell, do it as exclusives via their FoxConnect online store and cut out all the distribution / store middlemen, just make actual high quality BD releases instead of MOD bs.

quote:

Digital is getting more and more prevalent all the time, yeah, but it's not like physical media is completely dead yet.

I think there will be some surprise when the physical media sales don't transfer over to digital once digital is all that's left. I think a sizable portion of the physical media "whales" (to steal a term from free-to-play marketing) will go "Oh.. they no longer sell what I want to buy... I guess I'll just pirate everything now."

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

There is plenty of money left in these properties. License Louie, Bob's Burgers, It's Always Sunny, The League, The Simpsons, etc. to any label and they'd be ecstatic. Or hell, do it as exclusives via their FoxConnect online store and cut out all the distribution / store middlemen, just make actual high quality BD releases instead of MOD bs.

It's sad Fox isn't doing this, since they ARE licensing some catalog dvd's out, like releasing the remaining King of the Hill seasons through Olive Films. If they don't wanna go in-house for MOD like Warner Archive or any of those other outfits that actually have their poo poo together, that's the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CPL593H posted:

Oh I don't deny that this is because Fox is terrible. I just happen to know their whole reasoning is "wahhh not enough people want it". That being said, the last 15 years of the Simpsons is utter poo poo so that's no loss. But current hits like Louie, It's Always Sunny in Philadephia, and Bob's Burgers (among others) not being available on BD is just real stupid no matter what.

Funnily enough, I remember the Sunny guys saying that the HD masters of that show were so bad that they felt uncomfortable with the idea that people would pay for it.

• Locked thread