Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slow is Fast posted:

I did just fine with grinders and a lovely [welder].

I just used that exact same combo of tools to make myself a small workbench for my garage:

16ga top over 1" thick plywood, set in a frame made from angle stock and bar stock, and with two removable hooks to hang shop lights from (my garage's overhead lights are weak poo poo and since I'm renting I can't just install new lighting out there, so being able to hang lights as close as possible to the work area is a huge boon). Also finally gives me a place to mount my Panavise and gives me a firm surface for clamping things to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Do y'all have suggestions for a garage compressor? It's just to run an impact, air ratchet, and a few other random things. Nothing fancy like painting or a parts blaster. My old Craftsman one is being left behind and it was a bit too small of a tank for what I was doing. I'll check when I'm back over there, but I doubt it was over 20 gallons. Don't mind having to keep oil in it, or whatever, just don't want it starting up again every couple of minutes and driving the neighbors crazy.

This is the design I like, can't install anything in the wall/floor since I'm renting, but $500 is a bit steep.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-25-gallon-horizontal-portable-air-compressor/p-00916475000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

Oh and an engine stand. Jegs has a decent one and I've heard good/bad things about a bunch of models out there. It'll be for a 302, so well under half a ton.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80040K1/10002/-1

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 10, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I posted it on the last page but the california air tool compressors are ultra quiet & oil-free, are on sale on amazon and home depot right now.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Unless you are putting it under a bench or on a mezzanine or something I think the horizontals are a terrible waste of real estate. If height isn't a restriction you could get a 60 gallon upright for the same price and it would run far less often. I'm in the market for a new compressor now and this is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-VT6362_4294795218__?productId=3370356&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

It's cheap and big enough to run a blast cabinet or whatever I want. I also really like that it has a 3/4" fitting right off the tank so I can run pipe right up to a ceiling mounted hose reel. I'm also thinking about adding a refrigeration dryer inline since piston compressors make so much water, harbor freight has one for $350 after coupon.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

Do y'all have suggestions for a garage compressor?

This is the design I like, can't install anything in the wall/floor since I'm renting, but $500 is a bit steep.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-25-gallon-horizontal-portable-air-compressor/p-00916475000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

I just bought the 80's version of the same thing off craigslist for a hundred bucks, and it's been great for the limited use I've put it through so far. Just remember to check whether you have a 240V outlet in your garage first--otherwise you're hosed.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ok I checked and I've got the older version of this guy:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-gallon-135psi-oil-lube-portable/p-00916923000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Mine is 12 gallons, so going to 20 should be enough of an increase that I'll be alright.

Probably will just get the regular vertical one. It's only a few decibels louder than the $500 one and the same size.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-gallon-vertical-air-compressor/p-00916572000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I swear I found a guy here in the UK selling the mechanical version of those jacks a while back, exact same thing but powered by a corded drill. They were considerably cheaper obviously, I think about £400?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
CJ Autos do a variety of things like that: http://www.cjautos.eu/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That Ranger lift is the new thing I didn't know I needed. If I knew the 5000lb version would fit within the wheelbase of an MG I'd have already ordered one this morning.

I don't know why I got sucked into reading long threads about it on other forums full of guys popping in to say, "That thing sucks. I can't store my second corvette under it. Look at my two-post lift in my marble-floored garage with cathedral ceilings."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

CJ Autos do a variety of things like that: http://www.cjautos.eu/

3 IN 1 MINI TILTING LIFT yep, that's the sketchy looking fucker :stare:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im perplexed... why the HELL are flat ring spanners so drat expensive? Ive borrowed one once and they have been on my "TO GET!!!" list for ages, but at $199 for SIX of them i cant work out what the hell is going on?

http://adelaidetools.com.au/sidchrome-6-piece-metric-flat-ring-spanner-set-21202.html

Tho repco at the moment has a special on their 6 piece sets for $140 so that might be the go. I dont have a problem paying $15 a spanner for a ratcheting spanner, because you know theres a fair bit of machining and fab work in each one of those, but a flat ring spanner?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I guess because nobody buys them without it being a combo wrench or having that neck? I'm assuming by 'flat' you mean it can't be like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HAQW36

The only other ones I could find without an open wrench on the other side are ratcheting ones for the same price you're seeing

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It seems to me that there's two categories of tools; pro tools, where you can get everything but have to pay accordingly, and home gamer tools, where someone has gone through the process of designing, manufacturing (offshore, most often) and importing them, and once you reach a certain level of specialty tools, you sometimes run into that.

Case in point: I had to search high and low to get a set of crow's foot wrenches that wouldn't cost me my firstborn. A few years pass by, and our local version of HF gets them, and now a set of them is the equivalent of $30.

That being said, have you checked Dealextreme or alibaba.com? Some of the vendors will poo poo one set straight to your doorstep, often for a very reasonable price until your country's customs people open the parcel.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
A coworker just got this off the snap-on truck last week. I recommend everyone get something similar. Adds to the ambiance.
http://i.imgur.com/7qF41SZ.jpg

BagOfDucks fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm currently on the hunt for a good cordless drill , preferably something I can snag off Craigslist for sub $100. Any specific brands I should look out for/avoid?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BagOfDucks posted:

A coworker just got this off the snap-on truck last week. I recommend everyone get something similar. Adds to the ambiance.

A tree?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

A trash can?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm currently on the hunt for a good cordless drill , preferably something I can snag off Craigslist for sub $100. Any specific brands I should look out for/avoid?

For professional use or just around home?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Quite A Tool posted:

the white makitas. Ryobi has a set that should be close to that. Dewalt is ok. extra ok sometimes

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Geoj posted:

For professional use or just around home?

Personal use for sure.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Quite A Tool posted:

Personal use for sure.

Milwaukee or Dewalt or maybe Ingersal Rand would be a good place to start.
Everyone is switching to brush less now so the used market is being flooded with the older poo poo.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Quite A Tool posted:

Personal use for sure.

I have two Bosch drills and one Bosch driver, all cordless li-ions. +1, would Bosch again.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
So work has decided to start up a community tool/equipment lending program(I work in a library) and has charged me with speccing out the core inventory since I'm the only one who knows their rear end from a hole in the ground when it comes to being handy. I already have a decent list of what I'd like to make available, but this thread seems like the perfect place to ask: what would you (newbie to professional) would want to have at your disposal?

It's not limited to just automotive stuff either, lawn/(most) power/light construction/etc tools are on the table as well - the only sticking point is that we have to order them from Grainger to get a special pricing deal. If they don't carry an item I'm sure I could wrangle getting it in the library one way or another, but that's the only real restriction I'm working under.

If you have suggestions, feel free to email me at theMaxxxxxx at the mail by google. (spam account, no bearing on my real name). Or post them here, maybe somebody will find something they never realized they needed.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Off the top of my head (because I could use these right now):

Tabletop vice
Drill press
Deep socket set (metric and standard)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd say a multimeter. It's important for anything electrical and seems like people doing electrical work would overlap library users (eh DIY electronics).

Diagnosis tools? At least an ODB II scanner.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Something your program may want to consider is that things like bits and blades are effectively consumable. Might be wise to budget to replace drill bit sets every couple of months.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't mind donating my Bluetooth obd2 reader if you want it, my only car right now is obd1

Feeler guages are useful and normally overlooked, ditto a 10lb belt tension tool. Maybe also a battery hydrometer but the glass ones are fragile and I don't know how accurate the dial type is

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BagOfDucks posted:

Snap-On brand 72" ficus tree, model number PTF72A. Price: $1745.85 delivered.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Safety Dance posted:

Something your program may want to consider is that things like bits and blades are effectively consumable. Might be wise to budget to replace drill bit sets every couple of months.

Oh definitely. I have brought this up several times to the bosslady, nobody ever considers that they wear out much faster than you'd expect.

Great suggestions so far, I will probably skip getting anything that tests acid or poisonous chemicals though. Mostly because our interns at the front desk can't necessarily be trusted to not drip poo poo everywhere when they eventually come back dirty.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kilersquirrel posted:

It's not limited to just automotive stuff either, lawn/(most) power/light construction/etc tools are on the table as well - the only sticking point is that we have to order them from Grainger to get a special pricing deal.

I'd check your special pricing from Grainger against someplace else--I looked at facility supplies from Grainger vs Uline for my workplace, and Uline was usually about a third of the cost for the same drat thing.

You should just raid a harbor freight for your tool lending program--lifetime exchange warranty on hand tools, and if you don't see it again, so what?

Lookit stuff autozone might carry on the tool rental program--yes it's free, but you still have to have x dollars on hand for the deposit anyways. The people liable to use this probably won't have that cash to rent the tool from autozone, even if it is a full refund.

-Deep sockets probably number one on your list.
-Flex head ratchet
-Beam Torque Wrench (lifetime warranty unlike spring torque wrenches)
-Level/measuring tape
-Impact gun with impact sockets and a small ~6 gal compressor would be handy
-steering wheel puller
-Dead blow hammer
-handled suction cup (for car dents)
-I would avoid bit sets, unless you have the budget to replace them frequently (since they get chewed up). That being said, "exotic " bit sets like torx would probably be a good thing to carry
-Jack/jack stands
-Hand Truck
-Ratcheting Straps
-Funnels
-Wheelbarrow?
-Engine hoist? Probably too specialized, but that's definitely a "I'd only need it once in a blue moon and don't wanna buy/store one"

I wouldn't do a huge "General" set unless you wanna inventory that poo poo every time it is returned. Same reason I wouldn't buy anything nicer than harbor freight--people would swap out sockets, etc, and you'd have to check every piece of the set.

Hell, I betcha that of you went to your local harbor freight or autozone and asked to talk to someone about helping out with this, you might get a pretty good deal.

Big stuff like a drill press, I wouldn't do as a loaner, but more of a hey, we got one you can use type of thing.

Again, all depends on your budget and commitment from the library.

Edit: Don't forget PPE!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ooh, and see about one of those $10 cheapo kits that have something like 50 different security bits

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MrChips posted:

Snap-On brand 72" ficus tree, model number PTF72A. Price: $1745.85 delivered.

And when it dies the tree truck guy will bring you a new one!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Jebus posted:

And when it dies the tree truck guy will bring you a new one!

Until 2016 when it is replaced by 72" ficus tree, model number PTF72B in the catalogue and the old model is no longer warrantied.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Kilersquirrel posted:

Oh definitely. I have brought this up several times to the bosslady, nobody ever considers that they wear out much faster than you'd expect.

Great suggestions so far, I will probably skip getting anything that tests acid or poisonous chemicals though. Mostly because our interns at the front desk can't necessarily be trusted to not drip poo poo everywhere when they eventually come back dirty.

Compression tester
Valve spring compressor
Other spring compressors
Grease guns
Vacuum bleed tool (Mighty Vac?)
Some tire mounting tools (beadbreaker, irons, balancer).
Body hammers and dolly set

Just off the top of my head.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK goons:

Halfords is doing another sale: 90 piece pro socket set for £60 (half price). Plus, for another £20, you can get a 9 piece ratchet set.

£80 for the pair - usual price is £200.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have kicked around the idea of buying a metal lathe. I know there is things I could do with it, but I am completely lost as to what kind of projects I could do with one.

Or would I be better off buying a milling machine?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So far, I've used a lathe to turn down a press-fit insert for the time when I messed up and milled something backwards. I'm also using it to make an adapter that will let me drive the table on the mill up and down with a power drill rather than a huge crank.

I personally think milling machines are more useful and less dangerous than lathes, but there's still a lot you can do with them. I suppose you could use the lathe to turn bushings, if that's your gig.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah, I just can't really see the need for a lathe over a milling machine. I don't plan on buying it tomorrow, but I am trying to save my pennies for when I do get a proper shop. I think a milling machine would be more helpful for cleaning things up after I get done with a rough plasma cut or what not.

I can't wait to have a shop with proper 240v service.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So an old hotroder is leaving the state and my friend took me over to see what he was selling.
I ended up getting a craftsmen tool box for 100 and

2 Chicago mig welders, one was set for stainless with 100% argon and the other for steel with 75% argon, with tanks regulator, and a bunch of wire. for 500 dollars. I figured i could sell one of them to recoup some money.

Did I get a good deal or screw the pooch on this one.

The man also has a 60's CJ5 with an 80's Buick V6 engine, he is including all his parts for the project, including another V6 engine carbs etc. for about 5000. Which...well...I used to have a jeep.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah, I just can't really see the need for a lathe over a milling machine. I don't plan on buying it tomorrow, but I am trying to save my pennies for when I do get a proper shop. I think a milling machine would be more helpful for cleaning things up after I get done with a rough plasma cut or what not.

I can't wait to have a shop with proper 240v service.

You really need both. The Lathe for threading and turning to diameter (and tapers, if you need them), the mill for everything else.