Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
This game just desperately needs more to do. I'm pretty sure I could dual box a battleship and a carrier and do substantially better than most pubbies. Maybe even two battleships and a carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

What's your favorite bote at tier XXX?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Desiderata posted:

What's your favorite bote at tier XXX?

What are these and how to you get them?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Lee Outrageous posted:

What are these and how to you get them?

Added to my account this morning :shrug:

Just played a game of space botes, turns out it is important to aim your railguns high, else you hit the e-grid.

A pubbie ran his Space-Yamato aground an asteroid. Botes, botes never changes.

Edit: Better gameplay than Eve Online at least.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 11, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's not live on the US server yet, but it should be some time soon.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

They are basically all free premium ships. it's actually quite fun, Yamato does massive damage but it's as slow as hell and the ship and guns have a glacial turn rate. all of them can be fitted with 6 upgrades so I hope they keep them in game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The ships are basically tier 10's with a new skin, there's a Des Moines, Senjo, Gearing, Yamato and Essex but no Shimakaze.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

There's no option to accelerate crew training in elite ships like in world of tanks? All the experience seems to go to free experience I have to convert with gold?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I did a game in the XXX Yamato and it was horrible. The awful "terrain" made it impossible for me to tell if a ship was moving and how fast, where anything was on the map and then I got too motion sick to keep playing so I tried to ram an enemy Yamato just to get out of it. :barf:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
See, if they do this as a monthly event or something I'm all over it like poo poo

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Poil posted:

I did a game in the XXX Yamato and it was horrible. The awful "terrain" made it impossible for me to tell if a ship was moving and how fast, where anything was on the map and then I got too motion sick to keep playing so I tried to ram an enemy Yamato just to get out of it. :barf:

We seriously need a :hardenthefuckup: emote.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, there's a new green map. It's pretty neat if a bit similar to what we already play on.

Burt posted:

We seriously need a :hardenthefuckup: emote.
:barf:
----------:reject:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Poil posted:

Oh, there's a new green map. It's pretty neat if a bit similar to what we already play on.

The most recently added not flat ocean map is really a top notch map and I can't put my finger on it, but it plays consistently well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

xthetenth posted:

The most recently added not flat ocean map is really a top notch map and I can't put my finger on it, but it plays consistently well.
The game keeps throwing New Dawn at me over and over. Dunno, my team keeps letting enemy ships through to set my flight deck on fire. And I keep being placed as the only carrier too. Haven't even seen the flat map yet. But apart from those issues, that aren't the fault of the map, it does play kinda nice.

An Atlanta got in range of my Ranger. Holy gently caress that rate of fire was ridiculous. A non-stop stream of damage that just tore my poor ship apart into a burned out wreck. The pain.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
In my extremely determined efforts to not have fun I've tried the space destroyer since it's essentially a Tier 10 Gearing. With lasers and bubbly torpedoes. But still a Gearing.

Wow that's a lotta green laser shells per minute. I'm glad it can rely on them instead of the opportunity to launch torpedoes every millenium, even if they are adequate enough to do the job now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if there's an analyst at wargaming furiously crunching numbers on whether or not to fork off World of Spaceships into it's own thing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If ya really need ship slots:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/23452-weekend-ship-slot-smash-contest/page__p__668886#entry668886

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That seems redundant since everyone gets 5 free ship slots after the weekend space event ends.

They really should keep spaceships as a monthly event. The sound effects are great, and the carrier having two small cruisers bolted to the sides cracks me up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally unlocked the Lexington and am currently playing my first game with it. It's so much better than the Ranger. Faster, more agile, sturdier and as soon as I get some xp much better torp bombers. I sold the poo poo ranger without hesitation. I never want to sail it again.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

OK so the Minekaze is pretty drat good:

The turret rotation buff for IJN destroyers makes this thing much more comfy. I was actually able to pull off a gun kill on an enemy destroyer which was close to impossible with the old turret rotation values.

The enemy team's cruisers were blessedly retarded and just drove into my torpedo spreads which I fired from close to maximum range one after the other. The Aurora ate two torpedoes, ran himself aground and was still attempting to get himself un-hosed by the time I reloaded and fired a second spread of four torpedoes which gave him nowhere to go (but down).

I narrowly avoided death by Kongo by baiting him into firing most (not all) of his rounds short. The two rounds that he did hit me with knocked off half my hit points, but then his secondaries all missed and I was finished him off with a spread of 4 torpedoes fired from ~2km.

To finish the match I capped the flag like a true pubbie. It was either that or attempt to chase down the two Langleys which were on opposite corners of the map. After racking up six kills I opted for the sure win.

FAKE EDIT: Correction! Replay playback works again! YouTube video incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ptT_7D2dA

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just tried out the space Des Moines

Des Moines status: owns, 8-inchers that fire faster than a Cleveland is the best

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently you can't be logged in to this and tanks at the same time.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Oh hey, a lonely scout plane, nice, I need one more for that "kill 8 planes in one battle"-mission. Let's send this fighter squadron after it.

A minute later: Okay, that's the last of the fighters lost to AA. Quite a sturdy scout, huh.

It would also help tremendously if the torpedo indicator for bombers wasn't lying all the time. Nothing like dropping a two squadron spread on a cruiser only to find out that it was apparently inside the minimum arming distance or something.

It's me, I'm the useless carrier on your team.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Oh hey, a lonely scout plane, nice, I need one more for that "kill 8 planes in one battle"-mission. Let's send this fighter squadron after it.

A minute later: Okay, that's the last of the fighters lost to AA. Quite a sturdy scout, huh.

It would also help tremendously if the torpedo indicator for bombers wasn't lying all the time. Nothing like dropping a two squadron spread on a cruiser only to find out that it was apparently inside the minimum arming distance or something.

Scout planes are very weak, but very fast so it's more likely your fighters just couldn't catch the drat thing. Unless you're running with a really low level carrier.

Don't worry, being useless is what carriers do best.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ArchangeI posted:

The torpedo indicator isn't so bad once you get used to it. Also the best way to get the "kill 8 planes in 1 battle" mission done is to bring the fighter loadout on your carrier and/or hope there's a lower tier CV on the other team for you to pick on easily. Sure, you might be neutering yourself by taking the terrible fighter loadout, but gently caress it CVs aren't even that good anyway.

E: Also yeah chasing scout planes is a trap option; those fuckers are way to god drat fast and your fighters when they do eventually catch up will just waste like 1/4 to 1/3 of their ammo shooting the rear end in a top hat down for some god drat reason

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Well the space mini game broke my game camera, Doing to have to do an entire redownload to fix it

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I finally FINALLY had a good game in the Kongo - my teams kept rushing at the enemy like lemmings leaving me all by my lonesome to get blasted out of the ocean by hordes of torpedo planes. I mentioned that I would really like support this time and the cruiser drivers chimed in that I should keep up with them if I wanted AA support, and of course they were already in the middle of the map and dying like flies. I ignored the sole Kongo on the other team and started focusing on the enemy cruisers less than 10km out and proceeded to blast them with single salvos and watched them explode, thereby saving one of the heroic lemmings long enough for him to distract the Kongo while I blew the carrier into scrap. By the end of the match I had pretty much turned it completely around and destroyed a CV, BB, DD, and 3 cruisers - 2 lights and 1 heavy. The carrier pilot was bitching about taking 37k hp out in one shot, but the fucker was sitting still at less than 8km. And the Kongo was raw when I dropped 31k hp worth of damage on him - it was a perfect lineup with me directly behind him at 6km and all but 1 shot landed.

I find the damage from the Kongo's guns erratic however - I pretty much need to be under 10km to do anything more than a couple hundred hp's of damage. I still fire long-range shots just to see if I can hit or do damage, but I would think high arcing shots coming down at a steep angle would do at least a little bit of damage, but nope. I'm guessing it has to do with the shot angle and RNG, but I'm not sure since I never really paid all that much attention to where the shells hit when I managed to land one from 16-18km out. Going to have to look a little closer at that to get a good feel for the best places to aim - I mostly try for the water line, but it's not like it's a laser I can aim with pinpoint accuracy at that range. I'm just happy if I can manage to hit the drat target!

Anyways I now have the Fuso, so I'll see if my accuracy and damage are any better. I still think cruisers and destroyers are more fun, however.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Shooting beyond 15km is more or less harassment. Yes, you will get the odd lucky citadel hits that ruin someone's day, but mostly you're just going to miss, glance or dump it into the superstructure and do a bit of damage and annoyance while you close in to effectively slug it out. Trying to stay at max range for the whole match is definitely doing it wrong in any BB. The Fuso perhaps least so, it's the most sniper-ish thanks to it's large number of guns. The Kongo however wants to rampage around the map and eat cruisers and the Nagato is almost born for getting into ugly slugfests.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I find the damage from the Kongo's guns erratic however - I pretty much need to be under 10km to do anything more than a couple hundred hp's of damage. I still fire long-range shots just to see if I can hit or do damage, but I would think high arcing shots coming down at a steep angle would do at least a little bit of damage, but nope. I'm guessing it has to do with the shot angle and RNG, but I'm not sure since I never really paid all that much attention to where the shells hit when I managed to land one from 16-18km out. Going to have to look a little closer at that to get a good feel for the best places to aim - I mostly try for the water line, but it's not like it's a laser I can aim with pinpoint accuracy at that range. I'm just happy if I can manage to hit the drat target!

Anyways I now have the Fuso, so I'll see if my accuracy and damage are any better. I still think cruisers and destroyers are more fun, however.

You have the same guns, so it won't be any different.

Your angle of impact for your projectiles will change based solely on how far they travel. To get maximum citadel hits, you want to be either really far or moderately close to your target. In between, it's ineffective for battleships.

And of course, your target's bearing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is the citadel in the same place for all ships? If not, is there a reference guide of any sorts?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
It's unique for each ship class. General reference is waterline below the funnels and anything below the turrets.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the citadel in the same place for all ships? If not, is there a reference guide of any sorts?

Just aim for the center mass. Aircraft carriers are weird, but thankfully don't shoot back. The Langley has a small box near the rudder and seemingly nowhere else.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I think for carriers it's usually under the exhaust/island.

Also, the preorder Japanese cruiser is super awful and made of citadel, so the preorder options are the Russian Destroyer pack, the US destroyer pack or both with a bit of gold and a ship you'll never use.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I finally FINALLY had a good game in the Kongo - my teams kept rushing at the enemy like lemmings leaving me all by my lonesome to get blasted out of the ocean by hordes of torpedo planes. I mentioned that I would really like support this time and the cruiser drivers chimed in that I should keep up with them if I wanted AA support, and of course they were already in the middle of the map and dying like flies. I ignored the sole Kongo on the other team and started focusing on the enemy cruisers less than 10km out and proceeded to blast them with single salvos and watched them explode, thereby saving one of the heroic lemmings long enough for him to distract the Kongo while I blew the carrier into scrap. By the end of the match I had pretty much turned it completely around and destroyed a CV, BB, DD, and 3 cruisers - 2 lights and 1 heavy. The carrier pilot was bitching about taking 37k hp out in one shot, but the fucker was sitting still at less than 8km. And the Kongo was raw when I dropped 31k hp worth of damage on him - it was a perfect lineup with me directly behind him at 6km and all but 1 shot landed.

The magic trick to dodging TBs in the Kongo (or any other ship with some giddyup): drop to 3/4ths speed, then 1/2 as the TBs approach. When you see them making their run, jump all the way up to full speed and turn towards the bombers. If they're coming from both sides, turn towards the one on your left.

You will dodge so many torpedoes. All the torpedoes.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Vengarr posted:

The magic trick to dodging TBs in the Kongo (or any other ship with some giddyup): drop to 3/4ths speed, then 1/2 as the TBs approach. When you see them making their run, jump all the way up to full speed and turn towards the bombers. If they're coming from both sides, turn towards the one on your left.

You will dodge so many torpedoes. All the torpedoes.

Why left?

And do this work against competent TB bombers that drop them as close as possible? I thought you barely had time to even react then.

Do carriers get better once you get past the Langley, or are they all crap? Is there a sweetpoint like with IJN destroyers at tier 5?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Why left?

And do this work against competent TB bombers that drop them as close as possible? I thought you barely had time to even react then.

Do carriers get better once you get past the Langley, or are they all crap? Is there a sweetpoint like with IJN destroyers at tier 5?

You don't have time to react to the torps, but you have time to react to the runs.

And I think left is so you don't second-guess and just do it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

You don't have time to react to the torps, but you have time to react to the runs.

And I think left is so you don't second-guess and just do it.

This. Dodging torps is mostly about looking for bombers and destroyers ahead of time and making sure you minimize your profile.

With planes, you want to travel in a group to begin with, so that TB runs get broken up by AA. If you're in a battleship, you need to turn when those planes get spotted. Cruisers have more leeway, and destroyers can basically ignore them

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So I just reached peak World of Pubbies.

Wound up in a short game with my japanese light citadel cruiser, another japanese light cruiser, a miyogi and my friend's langley against a miyogi, st. louis, langley and phoenix.

The enemy Miyogi hits an island right in the middle of the map and catches a bad case of instadeath from the torps I fire behind him and the two bomber squadrons that drop on him, I then proceed to celebrate by running into the St. Louis and getting murdered, as you do. Our Miyogi angles in on the St. Louis, which angles in on him. Neither of them manage to kill the other before impact, which leaves our Miyogi a bit worse for the wear.

My friend and I are a bit worried because it seems the other light cruiser on our team is stuck right near where the Phoenix was last spotted and the Miyogi isn't in good position to protect the carrier.

The Phoenix creeps up real slow and parks right behind our stuck cruiser. From less than a ship's length away he fires a spread of torpedoes....

And misses with all of them because he fired from exactly dead astern to avoid the cruiser's guns. Then comes the realization that he's a stationary cruiser in range of a battleship and with a carrier's full attention on him.

Whoopsie.

Then the enemy carrier sends in a squadrom of torp bombers that whiff or he calls them off or something, and this guy finally comes unstuck and hunts down and kills the carrier.

PS: The Gremyaschy is really really good once you get the turret turn rate mod on it, its guns are hilarious. They fire as fast as US destroyer guns and are much easier to hit and penetrate with. I can actually trade fire semi-effectively against Omahas and lower if I dance at long range, and as long as I don't get too close I can do bad things to destroyers.

I died really early that match, but against stuff like Japanese Cruisers and destroyers, you can get a lot of damage really quickly. 8 km range torps too.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 12, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This. Dodging torps is mostly about looking for bombers and destroyers ahead of time and making sure you minimize your profile.

With planes, you want to travel in a group to begin with, so that TB runs get broken up by AA. If you're in a battleship, you need to turn when those planes get spotted. Cruisers have more leeway, and destroyers can basically ignore them
I've sunk a few destroyers with torp bombers but I think it's mostly them being not paying attention because they're not expecting that I'm actually going to torp them. Or they are really bad and think they're invincible to anything but hacks and cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

I've sunk a few destroyers with torp bombers but I think it's mostly them being not paying attention because they're not expecting that I'm actually going to torp them. Or they are really bad and think they're invincible to anything but hacks and cheats.

Yeah, I have only ever gotten torped in a destroyer while chasing after carriers and being an idiot. Tunnel-vision is the leading cause of death in this game by a large margin.

If a destroyer prepares itself for a TB run, it can literally just go straight through the spread without eating any. Although it does make you vulnerable to the old hammer and anvil.