Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I worked for a studio that did everything right and set everything up properly and legally sound and it took a ton of money to get it all up and working and it STILL went south and this is why I laugh at the budgets that every video game Kickstarter asks for because lol in their dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mutata posted:

I worked for a studio that did everything right and set everything up properly and legally sound and it took a ton of money to get it all up and working and it STILL went south and this is why I laugh at the budgets that every video game Kickstarter asks for because lol in their dreams.

Yeah anytime I see anything under 100k I wonder what the gently caress they're thinking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's been a couple that were good and well below $100k, usually because it was for "finish up a game/port to new platform" rather than "we have a 3d model of a stump and our writer has a blog post about how how loves video games" for the starting point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Molyneux made a couple of salient points during the Godus blow-up that are relevant here: one, even competent and experienced devs can only really give vague ballpark figures on how much a game might cost based on an initial pitch/proto, and two, many devs are afraid to ask for a reasonable amount of money because they can't risk losing potential customers who balk at big numbers and don't understand how much games cost to make or how businesses are run.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I'm concerned, the two most important criteria for a Kickstarter are "Is this actually possible?" and "Could anyone ever actually want this?".
Coincidentally, whenever a project that doesn't meet those criteria gets fully funded, I lose a part of my faith in humanity.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Presteign posted:

I interrupt this decent discussion to bring a Legend of Iya update:

Starting off well.

Wait what.

I'm not going to post the rest but you get where it's going.

You missed out on the part where he's giving us ANOTHER completely unrelated game that's supposed to fund this one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rujasu posted:

Almost a year ago, I was very stupid and backed Midora, which is now halting development (due to them deciding $73,000 was not enough money to make a game) and will almost assuredly never come out. I knew about three days after backing that I had made a bad decision, so I don't feel too upset about it now.

Kickstarter Gaming - My best friend, who is the vice president of our company

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The White Dragon posted:

Kickstarter Gaming - My best friend, who is the vice president of our company

Have more faith in Zazzmatazz, mate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Have more faith in Zazzmatazz, mate.

That's true, I accidentally poo poo-talked the programmer when really it's the ideas guy talking out of his rear end at their explanation link.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So "That which sleeps" actually still seems to be in development (at least) but I was wondering if anyone is on the Beta list? I may have some birthday money coming my way if anyone wants a trip report on the beta.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

So "That which sleeps" actually still seems to be in development (at least) but I was wondering if anyone is on the Beta list? I may have some birthday money coming my way if anyone wants a trip report on the beta.

I'm a beta backer and all we have so far is the map creator. Beta is supposed to start "soon" but it's been heavily delayed already so who knows when it'll hit. They've been posting regular updates in the last few weeks though with progress and they say they've integrated most of the new kickstarter featuers and are ready to import all the finalized tiles their artists will produce.

My guess is probably in 3 weeks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What successful completed low-budget video game kickstarters have there been?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's been a couple that were good and well below $100k, usually because it was for "finish up a game/port to new platform" rather than "we have a 3d model of a stump and our writer has a blog post about how how loves video games" for the starting point.

Hey, Barkley 2 asked for like 35k and I'm close enough to that one that I know they were serious about it, but their game plan involved more belt tightening than I'd want to see anyone reasonably do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MikeJF posted:

The Volgarr The Viking devs did a campaign for $18k, got about $40k and delivered the game with only a slight delay, and they added some extra content based on a stretch goal they didn't hit.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MikeJF posted:

Of the ones I've backed, Our Darker Purpose was $42k and that was completed, if you consider that to be low budget.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MikeJF posted:

I know there have been a few visual novel and RPG Maker projects that asked for money in the low five figures or less, where the core of the project was generally a single person making the game in their free time and the fundraising was basically just to commission art assets to pretty it up. Last Dream comes to mind (I'm not super impressed with it as a game, but it did get finished on a shoestring budget).

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 11, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Predestination brought in under $50k and they've brought the game to Steam and are working on it

e: they got $50k in Nov 2012 and are still working on the game :eyepop:

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 11, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
You all laugh at the Huniepop guy, but he achieved his dream of anime boobs with the budget he was given!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

I did a quick spot check on games I know are released on Steam and never went to Early Access first:

Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora (by SA's own shalinor) asked for $20K and got $25K.
GhostControl Inc. asked for £7K and got £12K.
Lilly Looking Through asked for $18K and got $33K

While none of these have FTL level of success, they are all solid games that, except for a missed delivery date, sent out the game that was promised.
There are plenty of other successful low-budget games being finished every month, but you often don't hear about them, as their stories are honestly boring compared to some of the train wrecks in this thread.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unrest made a complete game that I still haven't played even though I backed it, with 35K. I believe they were able to make this budget work by living in India.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fart of Presto posted:

GhostControl Inc. asked for £7K and got £12K.

This game is fun and good, too

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Predestination brought in under $50k and they've brought the game to Steam and are working on it

e: they got $50k in Nov 2012 and are still working on the game :eyepop:

And have made very little progress in that time. It's barely even a game yet.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

MikeJF posted:

Along with the games that others have posted: The Deer God, Consortium, Gods Will be Watching, Risk of Rain, Whispering Willows, Freedom Planet, Knock-Knock, Valdis Story, Cognition: An Eric Reed Thriller, Ocotodad, Kentucky Route Zero, DreadOut, Expeditions: Conquistador, and Spintires.

A 2D point-and-click adventure game funded to the tune of $51k came out this week on Steam: Dead Synchronicity.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

MikeJF posted:

My spreadsheet is still up, although I have a lot to add still: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sYRdj3cmb2WKFzikyT7bDGBFjQtdXLQ5YcECNNZKKY/pubhtml

You can sort by funding by clicking on that tab on the top.

Some that stand out for me and weren't already mentioned (around $100k or lower) are Xenonauts ($150k), Sunless Sea, TinyKeep and Monochroma.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 11, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You should watch Little Devil Inside's pitch video.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moon money alert. Good luck, although ist't doing too badly right now.

Also expensive.

I will sit this one out.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

On the subject of low cost kickstarter success stories, there's Risk of Rain. They got 30k by the end of it and released a pretty fantastic game. I want to say they had it partially complete as part of a college project but I'm not certain on that front.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Metal Meltdown posted:

On the subject of low cost kickstarter success stories, there's Risk of Rain. They got 30k by the end of it and released a pretty fantastic game. I want to say they had it partially complete as part of a college project but I'm not certain on that front.

Eh, low budget kickstarters usually do. FTL had plenty done before it went to pitch. That's usually why they succeed at all, they had a vertical slice of gameplay to show for it. They had all the core systems in place.

Megabucks only lands on incredibly lucky vertical slices, brand nostalgia, or developer reputation. Most megabucks kickstarters are more likely to be the latter two.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

MikeJF posted:

Goddamn Dungeonmans
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike/description

Only successful kickstarter I've backed actually.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers - Update #71, Apr 11 2015 posted:

Victory is mine

On 9 April my lawyer emailed, and while he doesn’t have all the papers/details yet, he did say the result was a victory for me. Next week I will make a full public report on events.

Meanwhile, claims of my departure are greatly exaggerated. Volume 2 is 25% complete and ticking along nicely.

To celebrate my victory, I am permanently reducing the price on all items:
DVD - £20 (only a few left)
Gold book - £25
Silver book - £20

This won't be relevant to backers, but I will also be phasing out the Silver edition at the end of April.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Full Bore kickstarted at 16k and was one of my favorite games from last year.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mirificus posted:

VICTORY IS MINE

Jesus Christ is this dude for real.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

This might get more backers if they hadn't left the mouse cursor visible in half their video.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The main reason I haven't backed Little Devil Inside is I still don't know what it is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm a beta backer and all we have so far is the map creator. Beta is supposed to start "soon" but it's been heavily delayed already so who knows when it'll hit. They've been posting regular updates in the last few weeks though with progress and they say they've integrated most of the new kickstarter featuers and are ready to import all the finalized tiles their artists will produce.

My guess is probably in 3 weeks.

Is the map creator good? But it is good to hear that they are still updating, I've been checking fairly regularly myself, but I am glad they are still working on it.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The guys who did GoD Factory: Wingmen are kickstarting a new game. Outward seems like a cool concept and they have plenty of gameplay gifs on the campaign page. Third-person adventuring simulator where you aren't the chosen one who saves the world, just a normal dude making ends meet through your 9-5 adventuring job.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 12, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

SaltyJesus posted:

The guys who did GoD Factory: Wingmen are kickstarting a new game. Outward seems like a cool concept and they have plenty of gameplay gifs on the campaign page. Third-person adventuring simulator where you aren't the chosen one who saves the world, just a normal dude making ends meet through your 9-5 adventuring job.
I backed it. I'm pretty sure that they won't meet all their aims, but I'm desperate for what they're promising and perhaps the game will be interesting even if they have to make compromises. The amount of gameplay shown in the video and the fact that they've made games before is reassuring.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Also even though GoD Factory: Wingmen was as best I can tell a complete sales failure, it was a lot of fun and quite well done.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SaltyJesus posted:

The guys who did GoD Factory: Wingmen are kickstarting a new game. Outward seems like a cool concept and they have plenty of gameplay gifs on the campaign page.
Someone should crunch the numbers on number of gifs/successful project ratio. I bet it's much higher than non-gif projects!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SaltyJesus posted:

I like that they could have pitched it as 'A Skyrim meets Dark Souls rogue-lite', but didn't. They at least have confidence in their own game design. Also all their cities are named after specific real-world winds, which is a pretty cool naming scheme.

I'm sure they'll backpedal on some of the 'dynamic world' aspects like these games always seem to, but getting to play in a fantasy sandbox without being the chosen one sounds pretty refreshing.