Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
VOY: "Tattoo"

Now that was a bad episode. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

I like how when they were making the characters for Voyager they were like "Tuvok is a black Vulcan and Chakotay is a native american, that's our minority quota!" And they did a great job with Tuvok, him being black literally never came up. They didn't know how to reference Chakotay's culture without being hilariously stereotypically racist. Like in "Basics, part II" when they are stranded on the planet, Tuvok shows up with a bow that he made, and Chakotay is all "That's mightly thoughtful of you, Tuvok, but my tribe used spears." and Tuvok just looks at him like he's retarded and says "It's for me, you dumbfuck, I taught archery at the Academy. Like I'm just going to make you a bow on a whim because you're an injun." Or when the writers constantly forgot that B'Elonna and Chakotay were in the Maquis together, not from the same loving tribe. Every time Chakotay does some pseudo Native American thing, like vision quests or medicine wheels or whatever, B'Elonna also knows all about it and has experience with it. The real reason for this is that I assume Chakotay does all this ethnic stuff to get women and Seska probably knows all about it too...

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Basics also gave us Chakotay joking that they're marooned on a planet with the only injun in the galaxy who can't make a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

:wtc:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My tribe, the rubber tree people, would use this 24th century electronic device to aid us on our vision quests then we'd plot it on our vision wheel with our spirit animals. Did I mention my tribe? The rubber tree people? We had culture.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Snak posted:

Like in "Basics, part II" when they are stranded on the planet, Tuvok shows up with a bow that he made, and Chakotay is all "That's mightly thoughtful of you, Tuvok, but my tribe used spears." and Tuvok just looks at him like he's retarded and says "It's for me, you dumbfuck, I taught archery at the Academy. Like I'm just going to make you a bow on a whim because you're an injun."

Tuvok's barely constrained scorn and outright hatred of almost every single person on the ship is one of the best parts of Voyager.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I like how when they were making the characters for Voyager they were like "Tuvok is a black Vulcan and Chakotay is a native american, that's our minority quota!" And they did a great job with Tuvok, him being black literally never came up. They didn't know how to reference Chakotay's culture without being hilariously stereotypically racist.

I think somewhere in the last Star Trek thread, someone discovered a Memory Alpha page where an incidental VOY character's species was listed as "Native American" in their infobox. Does anyone remember who that was?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Railing Kill posted:

Why is there a Centauri in the Star Trek thread?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The other thing about Clones is that not only is the dialogue written by Lucas, it's also directed by Lucas to make sure the actors don't sneak in a hint of individual creativity.
From what I remember of anecdotes, Lucas' directing style is basically to shout "Faster! More intense!" at people over and over.

greatn posted:

They can't replicate living creatures, so obviously you aren't being replicated. You ate converted to data, transported, and converted back, and multiple times on screen we've seen people have some degree of consciousness during the entire process. There are even beings that exist in this between state.
Yeah, there's that "Barclay's afraid of the transporter" episode where he's clearly conscious in some state during the transport process.

Maybe it's like some quantum entanglement blah blah blah that keeps all your atoms behaving like they're still arranged into meat even while disassembled. It'd give a good reason for the "signal coherency" babble.

Gonz posted:

Tell that to the janitors on Earth who do their jobs every day and literally get zero money in exchange for doing said jobs.

Unless, of course, waste disposal/restroom cleaning is something that has been completely automated in the 24th century, in which case, I guess all those janitors became artists or mimes or something or whatever the hell Federation citizens do to pass their time.
That's what baryon sweeps are for.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Adequate posted:

Tuvok's barely constrained scorn and outright hatred of almost every single person on the ship is one of the best parts of Voyager.
Who did he not hate?

The Doctor, I imagine. Who else?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Who did he not hate?

The Doctor, I imagine. Who else?

He gets along pretty well with Seven, IIRC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he was sympathetic with the serial murderer.

He hated that other Vulcan though because that Vulcan was amateur hour. And Tom Paris was such an rear end in a top hat to him. "Hey Tuvok for pon Farr I got you a hologram of your wife... With a few enhancements if you know what I mean wink wink nudge nudge say no more"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Doctor, Lon Wormtongue, and Kes. He respects Janeway. Haven't reached Seven's debut yet.

e; Paris' constant trolling of basically everyone is also good, but he never really commits.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tom starts out kinda rogueish and scammy, like a cut-rate Remy la Beau, but he winds up turning into my dad, spewing bad jokes and obsessing over muscle cars.

Also, flirting with women of questionable legality.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Snak posted:

The real reason for this is that I assume Chakotay does all this ethnic stuff to get women and Seska probably knows all about it too...

Somewhere in his quarters is a dusty acoustic guitar that he doesn't know how to play. He thinks it makes him look deep.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Roadie posted:

That's what baryon sweeps are for.

I'd hate to be someone caught in a highway reststop baryon sweep.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

greatn posted:

I think he was sympathetic with the serial murderer.

He hated that other Vulcan though because that Vulcan was amateur hour. And Tom Paris was such an rear end in a top hat to him. "Hey Tuvok for pon Farr I got you a hologram of your wife... With a few enhancements if you know what I mean wink wink nudge nudge say no more"

Which was stupid to even try (aside from being a tool). Either Paris gets the swimsuit area completely wrong when he tries to extrapolate which somewhat defeats the purpose, or he gets it spot on and Tuvok beats him to death Amok Time style.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Cojawfee posted:

My tribe, the rubber tree people, would use this 24th century electronic device to aid us on our vision quests then we'd plot it on our vision wheel with our spirit animals. Did I mention my tribe? The rubber tree people? We had culture.

Exactly. "Tattoo" was bad in the same way the most dated 90's shows are. It oozes with that supposedly well-meaning but disingenuous, outright condescending brand of multiculturalism. Let's make the one native American guy a caricature of his culture (and all native American cultures, as if they are all the same :v: ). He'll be the only one who really gets nature, man, and he'll be spiritual in a way that no one else is. Oh, and let's play loving flute music every time he says something.

:smug: Whoa, what are you doing with that chunk of dead animal, Chakotay?
:goleft: It is leather, Tom. It is a medicine bag. In it I keep the sacred items of My PeopleTM so I can perform The Spirit Dance.
*~flute music~*

--LATER--

:j: Paris, report!
:smug: Incoming Kazon ship, bearing 199 mark 132!
:j: Chakotay, what is their posture?
:goleft: Their shields are up. They are arming weapons, sir.
*~flute music~*

"Tattoo" manages to combine this bullshit with the premise of Ancient Aliens. Because Chakotay's culture is noble and proud and rich, but His PeopleTM got it all from aliens so gently caress it.

:suicide:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Currently at "Ethics" (the replicated spine episode) on my nth watchthrough of TNG, and I can't get over how silly it is that the Enterprise's cargo bays have an inventory management system from a 19th century warehouse. Yes, let's stack barrels on high racks in a ship that routinely gets knocked around like a white trash stepson.

Oh and that other doctor kinda looks like a young Hilary Clinton.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VectorSigma posted:

Currently at "Ethics" (the replicated spine episode) on my nth watchthrough of TNG, and I can't get over how silly it is that the Enterprise's cargo bays have an inventory management system from a 19th century warehouse. Yes, let's stack barrels on high racks in a ship that routinely gets knocked around like a white trash stepson.

Oh and that other doctor kinda looks like a young Hilary Clinton.

and also they can't fix his spine with the transporter because of reasons. The used it cure old age and also make a new Picard after they gave the old one some alien cloud they met.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snak posted:

and also they can't fix his spine with the transporter because of reasons. The used it cure old age and also make a new Picard after they gave the old one some alien cloud they met.

To be fair, I think the "Klingon medical science sucks" excuse they used in the episode is a pretty good one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

To be fair, I think the "Klingon medical science sucks" excuse they used in the episode is a pretty good one.

I honestly don't remember what excuse they used. If the transporter can compress him into a matter stream and then put him back together, it can fix his spine.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Snak posted:

If the transporter can compress him into a matter stream and then put him back together, it can fix his spine.

Yeah but if they went with that logic all the time, the wouldn't need sickbay or medicine at all.
"Computer, transport me over there without a broken arm"
"Computer, transport the ensign back here without massive head injuries"
"Computer, transport the crewman here without the mysterious alien disease"

It apparently doesn't work that way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The transporter would've malfunctioned and teleported Worf's spine to Ten Forward or something.

Then the spine would grow into another Worf. (Guinan sees the spine materialize on the bar top and shouts "FUUUUUUUUCK" really loud.)

The new Worf would then perform the Klingon death ritual over the old dead Worf.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And then we end up with a show like Wall-E where robots and holograms do all the work while people sit back and get fat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh, and the new Worf would be blonde for some reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Scudworth posted:

But that one is actually literally true in the show, they mention multiple times that the transporter has a medical screening bit and if it detects that the person/object being transported has some disease or microscopic foreign invader then it gets rejected and the transporter just reforms them without it at their destination.

It's just that the thing was either constantly malfunctioning or "It's some strange new disease that our screens can't detect!" which is why people constantly got weird alien diseases.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was always the dumbest plot device. if you can detect a disease, surely the transporter can also detect and remove it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even in the future they can't deal with zero-day attacks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Yeah but if they went with that logic all the time, the wouldn't need sickbay or medicine at all.
"Computer, transport me over there without a broken arm"
"Computer, transport the ensign back here without massive head injuries"

It apparently doesn't work that way.

Yeah, and I get why they don't do that, which is why it's annoying that there are plenty of episodes that use the transporter as a magic button.

Really there should be an episode where they transport some aliens, but then it turns out that the transporter screened out some bacteria in their gut because it was flagged as harmful. Due to the Starfleet not having a full understanding of the aliens physiology, they have actually removed a vital component of the aliens metabolic process. Not only is it immediately harmful to the aliens transported, it's triggered an evolutionary defense mechanism that is spreading through the entire race via pheromones. And there's probably a religious component too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Man posted:

And then we end up with a show like Wall-E where robots and holograms do all the work while people sit back and get fat.

computer transport me with a six-pack

PROBLEM SOLVED

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the story with the tng blu ray sets? Aren't certain seasons released by different companies? I'm looking at getting them but couldn't remember which were "good" seasons or "bad".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I bet they locked out a lot of fancy monkeyshines in order to shut up the McCoys who are all constantly repeating YOU'RE DEAD, YOU DON'T HAVE A SOUL BECAUSE YOU TRANSPORTED and possibly committed murders or something. It's luddites' faults as always!!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the story with the tng blu ray sets? Aren't certain seasons released by different companies? I'm looking at getting them but couldn't remember which were "good" seasons or "bad".

2 was the only "bad" one, but the quality differences (mainly in the planet mattes and ship compositing) are honestly not as glaring as to affect one's enjoyment. Basically, CBS Digital went well out of their way to raise the show's visuals to modern standards whereas the effects company they got for Season 2 did a relatively bare-bones job in updating for HD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

...whereas the effects company they got for Season 2 did a relatively bare-bones job in updating for HD.

They probably looked at the TOS remaster and said "we only have to do as good as that." and there was zero chance they could do that bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the big reasons season 2 looked off was that they were instructed to directly match the look of the original TNG, just in HD. That meant that it was pretty heavily washed out and pale. Season one took a lot more leeway with contrast and it looks a lot better as a result.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that company still did the even numbered seasons but CBS made them get their act together. it's a shame it's too late to fix season 2.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The other problem with the season 2 blu rays is that, due to an unfortunate manufacturing defect, they contain episodes from season 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That's more of a complaint about season 1 containing season 1 episodes. Season 2 is uneven, not bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Man posted:

And then people say "computer, transport me to the best party with a hot new body that never dies and make me really good at sex too" and we end up with Star Trek: The Culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Conspiracy is a pretty good episode from season 1, though it doesn't really make up for The Naked Now or Code of Honor.

... Jesus, I'd forgotten those last two were episodes 2 and 3 of the first season. I know it's often said that it's a miracle TNG survived it's first season, but hell, I'd say it's a miracle it survived its first three episodes.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 13, 2015

• Locked thread