Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Its an interesting strategy. Media goes he said-she said because they want future access, and Paul is cutting off access but for those who sgree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

His first big time interview back during the 2010 race he failed libertarianism 101 by falling for the old civil rights act gambit. Dude's never been able to recover.

How did he "fall for" it? Is there a "correct" libertarian answer to the civil rights act question?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Rand can't even handle the pre-primary media, ain't no way he survived to Iowa. Even the huckster has been tell'n him that this ain't no game, boy, this is the throne and you play for keeps. If you can't a answer a simple media question how you gonna survive opposition?

Hiary ain't a woman who rhymes with mimes.

Are you trying to say that Rand Paul is Joffrey? Because the more I think about it the more it works.

Caros
May 14, 2008

comes along bort posted:

His first big time interview back during the 2010 race he failed libertarianism 101 by falling for the old civil rights act gambit. Dude's never been able to recover.

No he didn't. I think you'll find that as recently as 2014 Rand Paul has been on the record as saying that he has never said he was against the civil rights. It is in fact hilarious that he will continually attempt to walk back things that he is famous for having said on taped interviews.

DaveWoo posted:

How did he "fall for" it? Is there a "correct" libertarian answer to the civil rights act question?

The civil rights act is one of those libertarian honeypot issues. Anyone who knows libertarians can bring it up and they either have to publicly go against their own beliefs, or be honest and admit that they are effectively pro-segregation

Caros fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DaveWoo posted:

"Segregation is a distortion of free market principals but was ending naturally and the Big Government intervention has only inflamed race issues since then".

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

computer parts posted:

I'm guessing that's excluding his HUAC stuff.

HUAC was horrible, but, er, as I understand it, Nixon was right. Hiss _was_ working for the Soviets. It's specifically mentioned in the KGB archives book I have.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are you trying to say that Rand Paul is Joffrey? Because the more I think about it the more it works.

No, because Joffrey actually got to sit on the throne.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Rand Paul is a dunce, oh it's true.
When interviewed, has not a clue.
A simple request:
Give answers when pressed.
But all he cries is a-bloo-bloo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

How did he "fall for" it?

He answered the question.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The real question I want to see asked of Paul, what is his favorite house on Game of Thrones?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

The real question I want to see asked of Paul, what is his favorite house on Game of Thrones?

I could see him being a fan of House Greyjoy - they're all about personal achievement (the iron price), and they're constantly rebelling against Big Government.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ralepozozaxe posted:

No joffrey is Paul ryan.

computer parts posted:

"Segregation is a distortion of free market principals but was ending naturally and the Big Government intervention has only inflamed race issues since then".

This is one of those "ism" cannot fail, it can only *be* failed lines I love so much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait Scott Walker didn't finish college? Christ his Wikipedia article.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

skaboomizzy posted:

Wait, are you James Carville now?

This gimmick would own, someone do it

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No Jeffreys dad is at least pretty cool.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rygar201 posted:

This gimmick would own, someone do it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Martell, due to his hatred of Israel

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

No he did not. Didn't even come particularly close.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

Explains his desire to hate gently caress the U-Wisc system into oblivion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zwabu posted:

He had a little more than a year to go, in terms of credits, depending on what majors he wanted on the diploma.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember when we were joking yesterday about Rastabama? Well....

https://vine.co/v/eBFb6e2uYna

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

Martell, due to his hatred of Israel

Wrong answer.

Rand Paul is a huge fan of House Spiderman.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

This is the best thing.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

*abandons sandwich in fright*

Can this be the new thread title?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Joementum posted:

*Jamaican dancehall siren*

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The primary and GE is going to make up 95% of Vine.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hollismason posted:

He attended a private Catholic school for rich people and left in disgrace after being caught red handed trying to rig the election for student council president that he was running in, in which his major campaign planks were opposition to abortion and support for apartheid South Africa

Specifically I think I he had his campaign workers try to steal the student newspapers off the racks the morning of the election because the paper endorsed his opponent

After leaving he immediately was elected to the state assembly as a conservative darling

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 11, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Walker has been nonstop campaigning for higher office since his college days.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

icantfindaname posted:

He attended a private Catholic school for rich people and left in disgrace after being caught red handed trying to rig the election for student council president that he was running in, in which his major campaign planks were opposition to abortion and support for apartheid South Africa

Specifically I think I he had his campaign workers try to steal the student newspapers off the racks the morning of the election because the paper endorsed his opponent

After leaving he immediately was elected to the state assembly as a conservative darling

I hadn't heard this scandal regarding him before, what's your source on this?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Jesus christ this is pathetic

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I hadn't heard this scandal regarding him before, what's your source on this?

http://marquettewire.org/2010/10/26/tribune/tribune-news/walker-wpo1-tw2-je3-one-question-controversial-claims-continue-in-walkers-campaign/

quote:

Walker attended Marquette from 1986 t0 1990, but never attained a degree (see page 5). His sophomore year, Walker ran for president of the Associated Students of Marquette University (ASMU, the former title for Marquette Student Government). He was accused of violating campaign guidelines on multiple occasions.

The Tribune reported then that he was found guilty of illegal campaigning two weeks before his candidacy became official. Later, a Walker campaign worker was seen placing brochures under doors at the YMCA. Door-to-door campaigning was strictly prohibited.

Walker initially denied this but later admitted to the violation, which resulted in lost campaign privileges at the YMCA.

In the run-up to election day, the Tribune’s editorial board endorsed Walker’s opponent John Quigley, but said either candidate had the potential to serve effectively.

However, the Tribune revised its editorial the following day, calling Walker “unfit for presidency.” The column cited Walker’s distribution of a mudslinging brochure about Quigley that featured statements such as “constantly shouting about fighting the administration” and “trying to lead several ineffective protests of his own.”

The revision also expressed disappointment in Walker’s campaign workers reportedly throwing away issues of the Tribune after the endorsement was initially made.

Walker dismissed this, saying he had no knowledge of what his supporters did, according to a Tribune article from February 25, 1988.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wrong answer.

Rand Paul is a huge fan of House Spiderman.

how you figure

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Semi-random question for the thread: if Botha had been less moderate how long do you think South Africa could have remained an apartheid state, and would they still be a US ally?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Daily Paul (Peace . Gold . :evil:) is shutting down tonight at midnight. End of an era :smith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

Walker has been nonstop campaigning for higher office since his college days.

I'd give him even odds of ending up as the VP on a Jeb Bush ticket.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

The Daily Paul (Peace . Gold . :evil:) is shutting down tonight at midnight. End of an era :smith:
I use BBC News online as my news source anyways.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd give him even odds of ending up as the VP on a Jeb Bush ticket.

Yeap.

Walkers so terrible he makes Jeb look good, Jeb(establishment) will reward him with the VP slot, almost tempted to ToXX, it makes the most sense if you look at the long game going back since Obama elected.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

Semi-random question for the thread: if Botha had been less moderate how long do you think South Africa could have remained an apartheid state, and would they still be a US ally?

By the time that Botha and F. W. de Klerk started to break down the apartheid system, mainstream US movies were portraying white South Africans as villains and prime time network television shows were talking about what poo poo they were. George H. W. Bush kept them at arms length even through the reforms, and I can't imagine that either he or Bill Clinton would've had much to do with an unrepentant South Africa in the post-Cold War world.

As for how long SA could've maintained apartheid? I don't know. How long did Rhodesia last?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Mo_Steel posted:

:allears: Man the next 2 years are going to be magical.

If you're following politics closely on the Internet, oh my god, yeah. This weird deluge of GOP of reducing issues that test the physical and mental of millions of people to paragraph bullet points, while using Taylor Swift GIFS to drive their point in. Limiting these issues to 168 character-sized bites on Twitter as country-changing opinion to millions of other people.

And not just the GOP! And not just in America!

The whole political machine is probably more online and visible than ever and it never, ever stops.

It's like a really fun low-tech cyberpunk nightmare. Internet is currently switched to 'ISIS and Kittens' mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

how you figure

He'd go for a gimmick pop-culture house in a heartbeat. He couldn't stand the head of the other houses.

• Locked thread