Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's probably best to keep in mind there isn't some continuous plotline here until like, the last 2 episodes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HGH posted:

It's probably best to keep in mind there isn't some continuous plotline here until like, the last 2 episodes or so.

That was part of my decision to use it as the end of school year burnthrough series just to have something to watch.

Edit: If this many people are lukewarm on the decision, I can always just put up another poll of my other candidates.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Argus Zant posted:

FLCL was awesome, Gurren Lagann was pretty good

i'm definitely down for some more cool poo poo from those folks

Let me introduce you to a little show called Kill la Kill

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ALFbrot posted:

A lot of people recommended checking out Panty and Stocking, and, upon viewing, it was quickly revealed that Panty and Stocking is a garbage show for trash people
You know its kind of like South Park in its crudeness, but at least its head is not up its rear end about "truth in the middle" bullshit

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

achillesforever6 posted:

You know its kind of like South Park in its crudeness, but at least its head is not up its rear end about "truth in the middle" bullshit

Come on, it's been at least 8 years since they did dumb poo poo like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, I'm gonna give you guys some options, because we're a family.

Akibaranger Season 2 Exactly what it says, it's the second season of Akibaranger. The Akibarangers find their delusions under attack by a new villain and must band together once more. It doesn't really reach the same heights as the first season, partly because of the new Blue, but it's still an okay watch. Although there is one part that is absolutely up to par with the first season.

The Hero Yoshihiko and the Key of Evil Spirits: The second season of Yoshihiko. Decades after the first season, Yoshihiko and his crew are brought back to look for a key that opens the gates to the underworld. Like Akibaranger, it's not quite as good as the first, openly rehashing it at times, but again, still Yoshihiko, still good.

Blue Blazes: A series from the director of The Hero Yoshihiko based on an autobiographical manga by Kazuhiko Shimamoto that tells of his college days at Osaka Arts University, where he studied with future animators like Hideaki Anno. I haven't seen much of this beyond clips, but what I have seen, I like.

Or we could do Panty and Stocking. Any of these is really fine by me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt is better then Akibaranger. I've never saw the other three, but have been wanting to see Blue Blazes...still, PSG, man, it's really good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I elect to stay the course.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't seen very many episodes of China IL.
You should fix this problem

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'd go with Panty and Stocking.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Rudoku posted:

Come on, it's been at least 8 years since they did dumb poo poo like that.

south park is still on, really? :psyduck:

e: also PSG

e2: even though I hate myself and watch Inuyasha and Naruto

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

spoon0042 posted:

south park is still on, really? :psyduck:

e: also PSG

e2: even though I hate myself and watch Inuyasha and Naruto

South Park is basically Comedy Central's Simpsons. It'll keep going forever until Parker & Stone call it quits, and why would they ever stop that gravy train.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TwoPair posted:

South Park is basically Comedy Central's Simpsons. It'll keep going forever until Parker & Stone call it quits, and why would they ever stop that gravy train.

On the other hand, Stewart and Colbert are gone, soo :tinfoil:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

On the other hand, Stewart and Colbert are gone, soo :tinfoil:

It's not even a remotely comparable situation.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So it looks like the ATHF Boston episode leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5wbpEhqopVs

Also uploaded here if the first link is down: http://youtu.be/7tOApJsjjug

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 9, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FINALLY!!

Although it kinda sucks that it didn't happen until after an actual Boston bombing happened.

EDIT: Wow it wasn't even finished. Several scenes and like the entire middle section don't have lip-flaps added to the characters yet. And in that middle section, they barely bothered to do any animating at all; they just move the characters around on the screen, like they called it quits right after they finished the storyboarding. Plus it looks like there's a few shots where they didn't put in a background.

It's a good episode apart from all that, though. Obviously would've been a lot funnier if it had aired in 2008, and not...... y'know... after Boston got bombed for real.

So does this mean that the Mooninites are the Tsarnaev brothers now?

EDIT 2: Wikipedia says that at least 3 versions of the Boston episode were made, and one or more of them were actually completed. I wonder what version this was.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 9, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
that was... weird.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Panty and Stocking would be my top choice, then Blue Blazes, then Akibaranger S2. Baccano trumps all, but I think that's the plan for later already.

I think all of the above are fine options to get to eventually, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, I definitely plan to get to them eventually. I'll probably do Blue Blazes as the counterpart to Baccano later this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If anyone is a fan of robot anime they should track down tonight's episode of Regular Show. The entire thing was just homage after homage.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I can also recommend Speed Grapher for Goonami or as something for anime fans to track down. A pretty fun take on societal corruption, the power money has over people, and a nice mix of what are essentially super powers based off of a person's desires.

[C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, weird title aside, is also a fun exploration of economics, it's basically people battling each other with their "assets" which represent their future possibility. Win and you get money, lose and your future and present conditions can be altered, up to and including having children wiped from existence.

Speed Grapher was more intellectually interesting to me, but [C] Control is a much prettier anime, being quite a bit more recent. Both are worth a watch, in my opinion. Speed Grapher is the more mature series by far and has some properly hosed up goings on, so it'd probably be funner to throw into the Goonami stream and see people's reactions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've heard good things about Speed Grapher and have wanted to watch it before, that'd be neat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Are they really already out of Jack and Triumph episodes?

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Waffleman_ posted:

Are they really already out of Jack and Triumph episodes?

sure's hell looks like it!

not surprising, seeing as they seemed to have run out of actual Triumph bits even earlier than that

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I've heard good things about Speed Grapher and have wanted to watch it before, that'd be neat.

This is the second OP of the series, which I think sells it better than the following words by me selling it. Even if you aren't looking for a new series, check this out because it's rad and a rare case of a western song being used in an anime OP and fitting perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bT1IgtsCsQ

It's worth a watch, the easiest place to do so online is Hulu, which has it both dubbed and subbed for free. The usual :filez: sources apply if you're looking for a direct download.

It opens with a photographer sneaking into an underground sex club (that also hands out superpowers on rare occasions) and takes off from there. At one point our hero (very mild spoiler) holds up a wedding with cameras strapped all over his body.

It's just the sort of series I can see Toonami picking up, and given that it's 10 years old now (drat time flies) with a completed dub hopefully it shows up on Toonami someday. I'll certainly take a Goonami airing as well though, plenty of moments to freak out about live.

Hell, at this point I'll go ahead and change my top vote for the next series we watch from PSG to Speed Grapher, though since it's Waffle doing all the work I'll go with what works for him and PSG is a very strong second to me personally. You do have to think on occasion with Grapher, which is rarely the case with PSG, so it might work better at some point in a 11 p.m. slot than a 1 a.m. slot. I'm admittedly more than a little clouded with nostalgia for a great anime from my youth, but I think it'd be a fun time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The problem is not only do we not have the time to run the entirety of Speed Grapher before I head off for summer, I don't have the time to get it so short-notice. It's gonna be PSG.

LAST WEEK ON TOONAMI

DBZ Kai: Goku, Krillin, and Gohan are at the hospital discussing their plans to head to Namek with Nappa's pod. Bulma accidentally destroys it, what the gently caress. Popo comes and tells them that there's a ship in Yunzabit Heights that Kami used to arrive on Earth that might work. Bulma converts its voice-activated systems to English/Japanese/Whatever and has Gohan and Krillin come with her, with Goku promising to catch up with them.

ARE THEY STILL ON NAMEK?: They are almost on Namek.

Kill la Kill: Ryuko fights Gamagoori and wins. That was pretty much it.

SAO II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A5mM9j54zA

IS KIRITO IN GUN GALE YET?: No

One Piece: Lucci and Luffy begin their mutually anticipated duel while Kalifa manages to subject Nami to her Golden Time attack to completely smooth her into a weakling. But before Kailfa could deliver the death blow, Nami uses her Mirage Tempo to distract her before Chopper crashes through the wall. After attacking both the CP9 operative and an astonished Nami due to his inability to tell friend from foe in his Monster Point form, Chopper proceeds to rip Kalifa's bathtub out of its foundation and throws it down stairs where Sanji is. While Nami is deeply worried about Chopper, she realizes she needs to focus o Kalifa while learning her opponent's effects can be washed off with water. Kalifa attempts to stop Nami from reaching the torn up water pipes, only for Nami to use her Rain Tempo to restore herself. Now having scouted out Kalifa's abilities, Nami takes their fight to its climax by creating four illusionary doubles of herself.

LAST WEEK ON GOONAMI

Slayers Next: Phibrizzo reveals himself as the small boy and takes care of Gaav. Then he tells the party to meet him in Sairaag. The team runs into Sylphiel, who decides to help them get to Sairaag. Then they get attacked by a mysterious swordsman wielding the Sword of Light who couldn't possibly be Gourry. Our good buddy Zangulus comes in to fight him off and guess what, it's Gourry! Also it turns out Sairaag is full of ghosts now. Well, gently caress that, we gotta get to Phibrizzo's castle!

SLAYERS NEXT ENDS TONIGHT

PANTY AND STOCKING BEGINS TONIGHT

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah fair enough, I'd love to see Speed Grapher aired on Goonami over the summer or when you get back, but that's my own selfish desire.

I'm looking forward to a Kirito's first bit of time in GGO, it's pretty bananas.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

A few of us are in Goonami. Come on in and watch internet videos with us.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Which is here

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
What is the McGurk Effect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnVX0isCnI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Remember that Slayers begins in about an hour and a half. We've got kind of a light turnout in Goonami so far tonight.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No Coach McGuirk jokes? Shameful. He's the best character H. Jon Benjamin has voiced. Yes, I'm including Archer and Bob Belcher.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm riding the incredible high that I've gotten from watching Daredevil the series that nothing KLK and SAO II Electric Boogalo can do to bring me down. Seriously watch Daredevil on Netflix, its loving amazing.

Also if you need an hour long alternative music distraction you can listen to Anime/Apollo Reborn/Video Game/National Treasure Troy Baker's album that he released last October which is a really good debut album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TuKEGBz84

:swoon:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Seriously watch Daredevil on Netflix, its loving amazing.

:swoon:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Can't wait for wacky space adventures.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

the beatings will continue until the schedule improves!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I think Frieza will turn out to be a good guy.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

that ship looks kind of like a pig

maybe it's meant to be some kind of Namekian piggy

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Helloooo Bulma! :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This is the stupidest thing ever and I completely forgot about it.

• Locked thread