Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Sorry for your loss, WW. I remember how scary night frights could be too.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Cockatiels are apparently pretty prone to them, and my zebra finches used to have them now and then. They hear a noise, or think they do, or brush against something, or otherwise are startled/set into a panic by something that may or may not be there and can't see anything to calm down so just thrash about until they're exhausted or you intervene.

Apparently cockatiels and budgies are both prone to them, out of all small parrots. My male budgie used to get them every couple of months, and at one point it culminated into somehow he'd gotten out of his cage and got trapped behind a dresser. Once he was in the flight cage it stopped for good, but that may have been because he was like 12 by then.

Foster's and Smith is having a sale on Harrison's pellets(or were) so I went on to order them and remembered that there are "just add water"-types of bird mixes with grains and beans and veggies, etc, so I pulled up this page: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8451

Now, I'm reading the ingredients to see what Pie might like best, and notice that the Tuscan one says "...with tomatoes, celery, onions," Wait, what? Onions are poisonous to most animals, aren't they? The ingredients list doesn't actually say carrots but when they put it into the description like that it's a little worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

Apparently cockatiels and budgies are both prone to them, out of all small parrots. My male budgie used to get them every couple of months, and at one point it culminated into somehow he'd gotten out of his cage and got trapped behind a dresser. Once he was in the flight cage it stopped for good, but that may have been because he was like 12 by then.
It makes sense if you think about why they're like that. Budgies and cockatiels are both native to Australia and are fairly small birds that roost together in large flocks, each bird small enough to be snatched by a large enough spider or a small snake while sleeping. It pays off evolutionarily to be easily startled at night under those conditions not only to get yourself out of danger but to panic the rest of your flock into getting away from danger too.

That strategy doesn't make as much sense if you're in any combination of heavy forests, small flocks, or more hidden sleeping places (such as, in captivity, the security of a cozy-hut).

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I've been so stressed by school and a sick cat that I didn't realize till today that Judah turned the big 10 on the 1st of April.

:toot: Happy birthday to my favorite noisy fucker :toot:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'm a UK/Euro goon so they'll have to settle for knives and assorted blunt heavy objects instead

Get a sword. I have 7.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Kenshin posted:

It makes sense if you think about why they're like that. Budgies and cockatiels are both native to Australia and are fairly small birds that roost together in large flocks, each bird small enough to be snatched by a large enough spider or a small snake while sleeping. It pays off evolutionarily to be easily startled at night under those conditions not only to get yourself out of danger but to panic the rest of your flock into getting away from danger too.

That strategy doesn't make as much sense if you're in any combination of heavy forests, small flocks, or more hidden sleeping places (such as, in captivity, the security of a cozy-hut).

In Australia, budgies and tiels surprisingly have very few predators. They're too fast/jumpy for predators to bother for the most part. The real danger is the environment itself, droughts bringing lack of food and water to share, hostile climates that is far to cold or on fire and drowning on the first flight when they find a solid water source to stay for a bit and breed like crazy.

I've also heard budgies can go up to 30 days without water. Despite my interest in science, I'm not willing to get some budgies to test the validity of this, though.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sekkira posted:

I've also heard budgies can go up to 30 days without water. Despite my interest in science, I'm not willing to get some budgies to test the validity of this, though.

If you think that's crazy, how about zebra finches: http://www.efinch.com/species/zebra.htm

quote:

There have been studies to determine how long these desert adapted finches can survive without water. The longest study was 1-1/2 years. The late Dr. Luis Baptista of the San Francisco Academy of Science also conducted a study on water deprivation with Zebras and told me that he gave up after 1 year and gave the birds water because he felt sorry for them, but was confident that they could have survived for a much longer period without water. They survived on metabolic water alone. However, Zebras cannot survive a single day without food. Also, don't call me if you deprive your favorite Zebra finch of water and it dies. The studies were valid, but they also incurred some losses.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sekkira posted:

In Australia, budgies and tiels surprisingly have very few predators. They're too fast/jumpy for predators to bother for the most part. The real danger is the environment itself, droughts bringing lack of food and water to share, hostile climates that is far to cold or on fire and drowning on the first flight when they find a solid water source to stay for a bit and breed like crazy.
Exactly. :)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Also, it probably makes sense for them to panic and fly off at night like that because they live in fairly open areas so they're not especially likely to collide with something in the wild.

My tiels are in a pretty massive cage and I don't have any perches in the bottom half so when they get night frights they'll flap around on the bottom of the cage and not hit anything. Usually if you just turn the light on for like 30 seconds so they can get their bearings they'll calm down and go back to bed. And yeah, a night light helps a lot too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

While my too cocky isn't very likely to get night frights, he does have neurological damage and is prone to falling over while sleeping, so we make sure the poor guy's cover isn't 100% light proof (has some holes and slits) to let in some light from the porch light through a window he is near. Seems to help him out quite a bit. Doesn't fall to the bottom of the cage almost ever anymore.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I come bearing gifts from the cute pictures thread in PYF!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My brother just sent me this:

http://flockcall.com/tao-of-felix/

This person reeaaaally gets parrots, african greys in particular.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Pookah posted:

"hi. nothing's wrong, but, y'know. it could be. just be ready for that when it happens mmkay?"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

This is amazing.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

These are words, and perhaps even sentences, but I have no idea what they mean.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Staryberry posted:

These are words, and perhaps even sentences, but I have no idea what they mean.
That seems like an adequate description of parrot ownership.

Aug 24, 2011

do any of you feed your bird(s) because it clearly wants food but then it just sort of fucks off? and then all the doves come down and they eat the cockatoo food, and then 5 minutes later the cockatoo comes back and it wants to be fed again because the doves ate all the loving food? birds man

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Someone lost a GCC around the corner from me :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon send me a message in GW2 or something, I keep meaning to invite you back to GOON but I don't have you on my friends list and I cannot remember your character name, also you don't have PMs here on SA what is up with that?? Hearts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
"I don't know what you expect me to do with this."

Aug 24, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

is he aware of how long his beak is or is it a constant surprise

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

H110Hawk posted:

Thwack it into squoosh and drop it on the carpet like a mic. Or maybe take it on a hover around The Kitchen Cabinet O' Mystery.

Never stop Mindo posts, please.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Someone lost a GCC around the corner from me :(

What state/city? We could keep an eye out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

What state/city? We could keep an eye out.

Los Angeles, more specifically el segundo

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Thinking about the past week, the last week
Hands go in my pocket, I can't speak
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my conure in El Segundo"

Yeah, I left my conure in El Segundo
Left my conure in El Segundo
Left my conure in El Segundo
I gotta get, I got-got ta get it

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you all remember, you all get pretty mad at me wanting to make a snake proof fence for my bird cages (that wasn't very high). I started bringing them inside at night until I moved.

Today I finished this:

No snakes getting in that.

Aug 24, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If you all remember, you all get pretty mad at me wanting to make a snake proof fence for my bird cages (that wasn't very high). I started bringing them inside at night until I moved.

Today I finished this:

bird safety very good and important

thank you for keeping bird safe.

Aug 24, 2011

it's hard to tell because there are so many but i'm pretty sure this one is Erasmus, he's super chill and is the only one i can safely feed using my fingers

he just picks the seeds out from between my thumb and forefinger. doesn't even nip me.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That looks amazing! Your birds are so spoiled.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Today I finished this:

Aw yiss, that is one nice bird mansion

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dreggon posted:

it's hard to tell because there are so many but i'm pretty sure this one is Erasmus, he's super chill and is the only one i can safely feed using my fingers

he just picks the seeds out from between my thumb and forefinger. doesn't even nip me.

How many of them are there, how many more have names (and what are they), etc :3:

Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

How many of them are there, how many more have names (and what are they), etc :3:

there's a few regulars except sometimes a flock of 20 shows up and i can't name all of them, usually there's about 4 give or take, today there were 5

there's Erasmus in that picture, i named him that because he's pretty friendly relative to the other birds

there's Pegleg named such because he? has what i think is a crippled leg, can't tell gender because he won't let me anywhere near him so i will assume boy

Gaston is the big bully bird who scares the other cockatoos away, i call him that because he is a super mean fucker. he also hisses at me, i don't know if you've heard a cockatoo hiss before but they totally do it

"Gaston's friend" is the name of Gaston's friend and she is the only bird Gaston does not scare away, i assume they're mated. she's wary but not hostile and is the only one who will eat oats with her seeds like a good birb

Sid (the Vicious) is friendly like Erasmus but is not a regular at all, i think i have seen him twice in total. he gets a name though because 1) he's the only bird who Gaston is scared of and 2) he'll eat from my hand, but bite the everloving christ out of it and i need bandaids every time

every cockatoo that visits (except for Pegleg who waddles away and Gaston who is an rear end in a top hat) will eat from a cup of seeds if i hold it out, which is useful for not getting my fingers gashed. invariably however while eating from the cup they will eventually lean past it to have a nibble at my unprotected flesh. cheeky buggers.

here is a new (girl) bird who i have not named or seen before

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 12, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a pretty lady :3:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Today I finished this:

Awesome outdoor aviary. I am jealous that you have the space. We rent, and our back patio would be perfect for it since we can't use it for anything else. Sadly any kind of modifications needed would be way too permanent or expensive to justify in a place we know we're moving out of in a year or two. For us it is less about snakes and more about raptors which thankfully simple plastic/rubber netting solves.

I believe we got pissed because you didn't want to make a snake proof fence. :3:

Dreggon posted:

is he aware of how long his beak is or is it a constant surprise

Little of column A little of column B. Sometimes he seems genuinely surprised at how long his beak is, and other times he uses it perfectly.

Aug 24, 2011

i wasn't gonna post this but does this bird look like alan tudyk to you?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A+ bird mansion, A+ cockatoos :3: I love that you named them.

also he totally does.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So I've mentioned earlier that Albert has started showing sexual interest in my wife, but I think today he attempted a mating dance with the bell attached to his boing.

He's too young for this poo poo, ain't he? Bird is like 6 months old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHeWmzoiBY

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Grraarrgghh posted:

So I've mentioned earlier that Albert has started showing sexual interest in my wife, but I think today he attempted a mating dance with the bell attached to his boing.

He's too young for this poo poo, ain't he? Bird is like 6 months old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHeWmzoiBY

I couldn't tell either way but Aaaaaah those noises :3:

Also: a great article on hookbills vs toucans

http://adventuresintoucanland.com/2015/04/toucans-vs-parrots-as-pets-a-candid-interview/

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Could be, but I'm not parrotologist. The fact that he doesn't escalate into violent behavior against the bell makes me think it's mating, but I'm not sure. Six months is pretty much the beginning of possible hormonal surge for smaller parrots, isn't it? I mean, he's early, but not alarmingly so.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Judging by watching some other Youtubes labeled as Pois doing a mating dance, it seems he definitely is. Bizarre.

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
CONURES FOR THE CONURE GOD

I just picked her up yesterday. Yellow sided green cheek conure, about six weeks old. No name yet. She's got about two more weeks of being weaned, but she's already on seed in between feedings. I got her from the best private breeder I've ever met. He's breeding birds to help put himself through university to become an avian veterinarian. :3:

I haven't had a bird smaller than three pounds in probably a decade. It's really fun, and apartment friendly!

(as an aside it's very difficult to focus a camera with only one free hand)