Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Indolent Bastard posted:

but it so isn't.

I don't disagree with you, I'm saying that I suspect that would be those people's argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

My Tabletop Day:

Saw Troyes
Bought Troyes
Played Troyes
Lost at Troyes
Took Troyes home

It was a good day.

(I also played Blueprints and Five Tribes, which were also enjoyable.)

Teaching Troyes was intimidating for me. It's really front loaded but once you get the game going everything clicks together so smoothly that everyone got it within a round.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I played Roll for the Galaxy ~5 times and started to learn Argent but we called it quits and are waiting for next time

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I played Roll for the Galaxy ~5 times and started to learn Argent but we called it quits and are waiting for next time

I wish I were playing Argent but we're playing DC deck builder instead. Joy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I arrived late to Tabletop Day at mt FLGS. I got in a game of Hanabi, BatHotH, took over for someone in Paperback, Race for the Galaxy, and Final Attack! I had a good time all around, in spite of BatHotH.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Played Terry Pratchett's The Witches board game. It does a really good job at integrating itself into the book's characters with its mechanics. It might be kind of run of the mill for someone who hadn't read a bunch of the books like I have, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Paper Kaiju posted:

Lorini, you continue to be the most interesting poster in this thread, and I thank you.

Thank you for the nice words.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Got to try out Fief: France 1429 for the first time today, 5 players, everyone new. T1 everyone bought two mills. T2 I played a good harvest, bought my title (3 village fief that I spread out to fill T1). T3 I married another landed noble who just got a bishopric and cardinalship, we moved to fill out the bishopric I had the majority in. T4 one of my nobles got elected Bishop, my spouse turned him into another Cardinal, he then became elected pope with 2/3 cardinals controlled by us, I then instantly excommunicated the third Cardinal, giving my partner and I three king votes to everyone else's two, giving us the kingship and the game since nobody could stop us. (Bonus, I had both the King and Papacy due to available nobles, so I could have punted out my (non-Queen) wife and won solo if I wanted to be :moreevil:, but since they came up with the plan, elected to be noble about it.

I feel like we did something wrong. We sat down expecting a 3 hour slog of intrigue and military and we got an hour and a half of minor spats with a, while admittedly a fine in-character coup of intrigue, underwhelming sudden ending.

e: Also bought/played Pictomania. We decided to get into it by playing Easy/Easy/Medium/Hard/:psyduck: difficulties for our five rounds and it got... interesting...

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tragedy Looper is good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tragedy Looper is good.

This. I can't sing the praises of Tragedy Looper loud enough. It's just such a great game.

Has anyone played Baseball Highlights: 2045 before? I kinda like the futuristic baseball theme, but dunno how good the game actually is. I saw it at my local game shop's recommended section, which has pointed towards some great games and some really crap ones, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Lorini posted:

I remember making the first real timing ruling. Timmy the Wizard could kill the Orcish Artillery, but that wouldn't stop an earlier activation of the Artillery.
I knew about that part of MtG's history, cool to find out you're responsible for it.

Thanks for writing about it!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Does anyone play Mage Wars on OCTGN? I was wondering if it's any good cause god drat I want to play more of that game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Got to play Betrayal at the House on the Hill today with my son; as expected, he was really into it! So much that he wanted to play again immediately, and then asked if we could buy a copy.

So even if it's not the best mechanically, it was exactly what we were looking for.

My biggest criticism of the game, after playing only twice, is that the random nature of the Haunt events can sometimes be completely unfair to one side or the other. In our first game, the haunt was that the house started sinking into an underground swamp; players took movement penalties and, eventually, damage based on how much water was on their level.

Two of our three hero players were in the basement and there were no discovered paths back to the upper levels; they drowned before finding the stairs. I was the traitor and won through no real effort of my own.

Still, the simplicity of the game mechanics makes it easy to play and to teach, and the horror theme is exactly what we were looking for.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ConfusedUs posted:

My biggest criticism of the game, after playing only twice, is that the random nature of the Haunt events can sometimes be completely unfair to one side or the other. In our first game, the haunt was that the house started sinking into an underground swamp; players took movement penalties and, eventually, damage based on how much water was on their level.

Two of our three hero players were in the basement and there were no discovered paths back to the upper levels; they drowned before finding the stairs. I was the traitor and won through no real effort of my own.

In my experience it's pretty typical for the traitor to not have real decisions. Many haunts introduce some powerful threat that plays itself, like the sinking house or a boss monster with strict AI. Then the game remembers that the traitor is a player too and says "Uh, you can still keep your Might 3 little girl, maybe if you're lucky you can mildly inconvenience one of the other players with her?"

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I made out like a bandit at the Tabletop Day event I went to, won Magnum Opus, Krosmaster Arena, and Pixel Tactics along with promos and a giftcard. Anyone played Magnum Opus? I had never really heard of it before I won it.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

homullus posted:

I would never recommend RoboRally to anyone. It is a really neat idea in a horrible death spiral slog of a game. "But!" you say, stepping in to defend it, "It's fine if you only play with courses that are a single board! And it's fun to play spoiler, sitting near the start and blasting people!" Sure, maybe? If it feels ok to you to buy a game that you'll only play the shortest version of, and usually have to resort to kingmaking/dragging it out to have fun, then go right ahead! Otherwise, definitely do not go right ahead.

The basic interaction of RoboRally is one of my all-time favorites in board games, so it makes me really sad that the game is so unplayable.

On the other hand, games like Lords of Xidit and even to some extent Space Alert do a pretty good job of feeding my craving for it these days, so I guess that's okay.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Brought two games with me to tabletop day, and played three games there, all of which I owned. At some point I managed to convince myself to buy 7 Wonders and, hey, somebody was there that already knew how to play so I could just get my first game in right there. That game was good times, glad to have it in my collection now. Flexible player count, short length, and nice gameplay means gonna be a lot of usage out of it.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Betrayal...Hill. I played it for the first time today with a group of mostly strangers. It was not very fun. It's cool to explore, but I took a quick trip to the restroom and when I returned the haunt had happened. 20 minutes later we were confused with the rules and it ended in a lackluster battle. I was originally considering getting it to play with my family (they love horror). But the gamer in me just can't hang with it.

We also played Sentinels of the Multiverse. I am not at all interested in card games, but it was fun overall. My gf even played it and enjoyed it. It's an acquired taste and I likely would never get it for myself, but it was a good experience overall.

Next up was Tokaido. I've played it plenty on BGA so it wasn't that exciting to play it in person, but it remains a pretty and pleasing game to play.

I finished after a game of Bang! It's a fun party game, and the theme is solid, but it was way random.

P.S. I know the consensus on Splendor is meh, but I'm still interested in it. Maybe I just like shiny things. I was glad somebody was playing it so I could mess with the chips and show my gf what it's about.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 12, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How is Dixit? I take it is basically pictionary with stories? Seeing it for 18$ on Amazon tempts me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Has anyone played Baseball Highlights: 2045 before? I kinda like the futuristic baseball theme, but dunno how good the game actually is. I saw it at my local game shop's recommended section, which has pointed towards some great games and some really crap ones, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

I have this, actually. I've played it a couple times and it's a pretty quick and fun. I'm still learning the strategies in the game. It seems to have that puzzle strike thing where knowing exactly which cards are left in your deck and your opponent's is a big advantage.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In my experience it's pretty typical for the traitor to not have real decisions. Many haunts introduce some powerful threat that plays itself, like the sinking house or a boss monster with strict AI. Then the game remembers that the traitor is a player too and says "Uh, you can still keep your Might 3 little girl, maybe if you're lucky you can mildly inconvenience one of the other players with her?"

Yeah but then sometimes you get the ones where you're invincible or invisible or somtimes you just get luck your 3 Might little girl just happened to get lucky enough before the haunt that she is now a Might 6 Speed 5 little menace with a gun that goes around executing everybody because the house has poison gas or aliens or some poo poo that makes it impossible to win.

But it's fun so who cares if it's balanced right? :v:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

jeeves posted:

How is Dixit? I take it is basically pictionary with stories? Seeing it for 18$ on Amazon tempts me.

It's Actually Good Apples to Apples. Everyone's hand is cards, the person whose turn it is plays a card face-down from their hand, gives any sort of description for it (A word, a phrase, a gesture, a noise, a short story, whatever). Everyone else plays a card from their hand they think best matches. Cards get shuffled, flipped up, everyone votes on the best one. The judge/prompt-giver/etc's goal is to get people to guess their thing, but not be too specific (everyone guesses it) or too vague (nobody guesses it). People then get points based on correct guesses/other people guessing their card.

It's light, not too long, simple, and fits pretty much any playgroup from 8 to 80. The artwork also owns.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Had a good tabletop day. Played Five Tribes, Castles of Ludwig, Alchemists and Keyflower, found and bought a copy of Archipelago War and Peace and also grabbed Argent for 25% off (store had a market row of games that had increasingly large discounts through the day). Ended up winning Five Tribes and Keyflower, the latter by like 2 points.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lorini posted:

Thank you for the nice words.

Just got to catch up with the thread and I'll second what they said. You're legit.

Prairie Bus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2015

EBag
May 18, 2006

Dungeon Petz and Pictomania arrived just in time for the weekend. Got to played 3 or 4 rounds of Pictomania today and it's so much fun! Everything I love about Pictionary with all the annoying tediousness stripped away. I was worried because I remember some reviews complaining that the scoring was convoluted but it was really easy to pick up, can't wait to play this more.

Haven't gotten to Dungeon Petz yet but also got in a 4 player game of Concordia. Still really enjoying this one though I wish it was a bit faster, might play with one fewer set of cards and fewer houses next time. The difficulty of trying to get the actions you need when you need them, as well as the resources, is a fun balancing act to figure out.

EBag fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 12, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have this, actually. I've played it a couple times and it's a pretty quick and fun. I'm still learning the strategies in the game. It seems to have that puzzle strike thing where knowing exactly which cards are left in your deck and your opponent's is a big advantage.

Thanks for the info! All the reviews I can find online seem to be from big baseball fans, so I'm hesitant that they were a bit biased. How does the game handle 3-4 players? My usual gaming group is that size, and while the box says it plays up to 4, everything I've read makes it seem like just a 2 player game.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 12, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't played it more than 2 so far. My impression is that the 3-player game ("hot pepper") ends up being a little different and some people aren't as into it, and the 4 player game is basically 2 2-player games. It comes with 4 player boards

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Operation tabletop day final report

Gonblins Inc. - In a world where Galaxy Trucker didn't exist this'd be a great game, in this one it's just a less good version of Galaxy Trucker. Still liked it a lot and the theme owns, but it just feels unnecessary in a post-Vlaada world

Spleondor - Still the most aggressively average game I've ever played. it's my ph 7 for board games, if the game I'm playing is better than spelndour it's at least an OK game and if it's worse it's bad

Tash-Kalare with Everfreost - TK owns and everfrost is good

2p Tsuro - lol

Forbidden Dessert - we won the novice version on the first try. game is good and a pretty solidly hard co-op, but IMO it's got the usual co-op problems (quarterbacking, etc.). If you're sick of pandemic and exactly as good at the game as everyone you're playing with it's good though

Emenint Domain - Good game and i apparently now own a copy of it ant the expac so booyah

Smash Up - lol game's broke as gently caress. I won catastrophically badly with wizards/robots on my first play ever and the dude who brought it said he'd never seen someone pull off some of their dumb combos so well. It worked as a decent wind-down after like 10 hours of gaming but yeah probably not playing again

Booze - couple of beers and a whole bottle of dragon's milk, in a pretty good place. i think I passed out for like ten minutes during emdom or something though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Also when we went to play 2p Tsuro (lol) we accdentally grabbed tsuro of the seas instead, and IMO it looks worse in every way? the daikaiju poo poo looks like it just makes the game random in a really stupid way and it seems very unnecessary. we ended up just playing tsuro classic using the TotS pieces and then getting bored after a single three minute play

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I know that some of you were interested in Homeland

Yesterday, we had a game. We screwed up a few rules - burning cards means that they are removed from the game, which isn't the same as discarding so we had a few chains of asset stealing that weren't legal. And some rules are badly written - can a player drone strike once per turn regardless of how many drone strike assets he has, once per asset with drone strike or as much as he likes? And agents/soldiers were always getting confused - one looks at the intel deck on a crisis, the other looks at the plot card, but it's not written on the board which is which.

Despite those points I really liked it.

It's fast. Unboxing, reading the rules and playing took about an hour and a half.

There's lots going on, and you can'y keep up with the pace of new threats emerging, so you end up having to let some terrorism happen and just hoping that the fallout isn't something terrible.

Even the loyal players will occasionally have to put bad cards on other people's cases, but as we realised after, the loyal players should be trying to get other cases to fail as much as possible. The game feels cooperative, but there are only ever 0-1 winners, so you need to be loving people over all the time. Those high value red cards need to screwing up other cases rather than discarded for a couple of VP on the spot.

The central play is that terrorisms are moving up the board. Each has a plot (hidden) and an organisation (known) that both contribute to the red points. When one such crisis gets to the top of the board you flip the plot card and then sum up the intel cards people played to it. More blue than red means the threat was neutralised and the case lead gets some loyalist VP, a minor bonus (usually a card, an agent or a soldier) and the freedom track advances. More or equal red than blue means terrorism happened, everybody gets politics VP, the caselead gets a minor punishment (sometimes everybody is punished) and the terror track advances. On your turn, you play a card to two cases, only one of which can be your own. Pick up new soldiers/agents/assets and use those to poke the card stacks a bit.

Super simple.

Obviously, it's just one play, but I'm really itching to play again. And maybe watch the TV series, but maybe not as the dude in all the art has a really annoying face.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fungah! posted:

Also when we went to play 2p Tsuro (lol) we accdentally grabbed tsuro of the seas instead, and IMO it looks worse in every way? the daikaiju poo poo looks like it just makes the game random in a really stupid way and it seems very unnecessary. we ended up just playing tsuro classic using the TotS pieces and then getting bored after a single three minute play

2 player Tsuro is boring, there's basically no reason to play it. I wouldn't play Tsuro with less than 5, as it's the interaction between all the other players where you can run someone else off the board with your tile placement that makes things fun.

I also own TotS and just use it to play basic Tsuro, I've never actually tried the Daikaiju stuff because it just looks too random to be enjoyable. I guess the point was to make it possible for the game to last longer by clearing existing tiles, but that just removes the end condition and Tsuro lasting like 15 minutes tops is one of its best features.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

2 player Tsuro is boring, there's basically no reason to play it. I wouldn't play Tsuro with less than 5, as it's the interaction between all the other players where you can run someone else off the board with your tile placement that makes things fun.

I also own TotS and just use it to play basic Tsuro, I've never actually tried the Daikaiju stuff because it just looks too random to be enjoyable. I guess the point was to make it possible for the game to last longer by clearing existing tiles, but that just removes the end condition and Tsuro lasting like 15 minutes tops is one of its best features.

yeah we mostly tried it as a joke and then ended it by slamming our boats into each other. took all of five minutes and was pretty funny

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Fungah! posted:

Smash Up - lol game's broke as gently caress. I won catastrophically badly with wizards/robots on my first play ever and the dude who brought it said he'd never seen someone pull off some of their dumb combos so well. It worked as a decent wind-down after like 10 hours of gaming but yeah probably not playing again

This is a pretty common experience for me with terrible games. It makes sense, too - if nobody you play with is competent enough at games to get even close to breaking them it probably makes a lot of games more palatable. Dominion has the reverse case where terrible players find Big Money and decide the game is poo poo.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I got a Felicia Day promo card for Dead of Winter. The employee said nobody had asked for it the entire time they were open, so I got it at the end of the night when I inquired. Sounds about right!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Archenteron posted:

Got to try out Fief: France 1429 for the first time today, 5 players, everyone new. T1 everyone bought two mills. T2 I played a good harvest, bought my title (3 village fief that I spread out to fill T1). T3 I married another landed noble who just got a bishopric and cardinalship, we moved to fill out the bishopric I had the majority in. T4 one of my nobles got elected Bishop, my spouse turned him into another Cardinal, he then became elected pope with 2/3 cardinals controlled by us, I then instantly excommunicated the third Cardinal, giving my partner and I three king votes to everyone else's two, giving us the kingship and the game since nobody could stop us. (Bonus, I had both the King and Papacy due to available nobles, so I could have punted out my (non-Queen) wife and won solo if I wanted to be :moreevil:, but since they came up with the plan, elected to be noble about it.

I feel like we did something wrong. We sat down expecting a 3 hour slog of intrigue and military and we got an hour and a half of minor spats with a, while admittedly a fine in-character coup of intrigue, underwhelming sudden ending.

Well, from your description you married a noble with a Church title, which isn't permitted.

Also, if everyone else only had two titles between them on turn 4 you were playing with three opponents who were sitting on their hands doing nothing. By that point in the game every bishopric should be under player control simply through the natural course of play and multiple fiefdoms should have been bought as well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Missed TT Day (waited up on someone who never hit me up), but played "Acquire" last night. Fun little Stock game; won by a bit by constantly goading people to take me over, and being paid to (or not to) merge companies.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Jedit posted:

Well, from your description you married a noble with a Church title, which isn't permitted.

Also, if everyone else only had two titles between them on turn 4 you were playing with three opponents who were sitting on their hands doing nothing. By that point in the game every bishopric should be under player control simply through the natural course of play and multiple fiefdoms should have been bought as well.

I'm tired and worded it funny. I married a noble whose player had a bishop/cardinal. I think we had 4/5 bishoprics assigned (Going down to 3/5 after the excommunication), three fiefdoms assigned, and one to-be-bought on the winning turn., so people may have not realized filling out faster to grab the power positions was important.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Lorini's awesome. Grass is green. Lorini never stops being awesome.

EBag posted:

Dungeon Petz and Pictomania arrived just in time for the weekend. Got to played 3 or 4 rounds of Pictomania today and it's so much fun! Everything I love about Pictionary with all the annoying tediousness stripped away. I was worried because I remember some reviews complaining that the scoring was convoluted but it was really easy to pick up, can't wait to play this more.

What the gently caress? The scoring for Pictomania is SUPER EASY. Where did you hear about it being convoluted?

For those who don't know PIctomania's scoring:
Take your guess pile. Flip it over. The top 2 cards are the cards that said what you drew. Put them aside and keep going through the pile. If you find a number that matches the number you were assigned, give that player their card back and also the scoring chip with the most stars on it. If you find a number that doesn't match, put the card in the center of the table.

After everybody's done, look at the center of the table. If somebody has more cards there than anybody else (no ties), their Bonus Chip is negative. Add up all the stars on all the chips you have that aren't your color, and subtract all the stars on all the chips you have in your color. That's your score for the round. Done.

Is basic addition that difficult?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

Lorini's awesome. Grass is green. Lorini never stops being awesome.

What the gently caress? The scoring for Pictomania is SUPER EASY. Where did you hear about it being convoluted?

For those who don't know PIctomania's scoring:
Take your guess pile. Flip it over. The top 2 cards are the cards that said what you drew. Put them aside and keep going through the pile. If you find a number that matches the number you were assigned, give that player their card back and also the scoring chip with the most stars on it. If you find a number that doesn't match, put the card in the center of the table.

After everybody's done, look at the center of the table. If somebody has more cards there than anybody else (no ties), their Bonus Chip is negative. Add up all the stars on all the chips you have that aren't your color, and subtract all the stars on all the chips you have in your color. That's your score for the round. Done.

Is basic addition that difficult?

I guess if your gaming experience ends at Pictionary this sort of thing can be mindblowing, and someone may have had this pitched to them as 'Pictionary but better!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fungah! posted:

Forbidden Dessert - we won the novice version on the first try. game is good and a pretty solidly hard co-op, but IMO it's got the usual co-op problems (quarterbacking, etc.). If you're sick of pandemic and exactly as good at the game as everyone you're playing with it's good though