Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, but which one of those is the typical gamer more likely to do in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elfface posted:

Yeah, but which one of those is the typical gamer more likely to do in real life?

I don't know about you but I walk past a half-dozen opportunities to eliminate entire ethnic groups a day, but it's infrequent if there's a transgender person along the way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

It's worth repeating this every single time it comes up: you get less approval for explicitly enslaving and forcing an entire group to work for you, at sword point. In fact some characters approve of you doing so.

The mean to transgender person = worse than actual genocide thing is cringey as hell.

Serves you right if you see an option to poo poo on a transgendered person and click it, really.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, actions and words have consequences but I just find it hilarious how ridiculously heavy handed and disproportionate it is next to the other stuff you can do in the game. I'm all for more representation of minorities but wrapping them in cotton wool to such an extent feels kind of patronizing.

I mean at the risk of derailing the thread, in Pillars of Eternity the "good" option for a quest is to snap the neck of a rape victim, but all outrage towards the game has been aimed at a limerick. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Sure, actions and words have consequences but I just find it hilarious how ridiculously heavy handed and disproportionate it is next to the other stuff you can do in the game. I'm all for more representation of minorities but wrapping them in cotton wool to such an extent feels kind of patronizing.

I mean at the risk of derailing the thread, in Pillars of Eternity the "good" option for a quest is to snap the neck of a rape victim, but all outrage towards the game has been aimed at a limerick. :v:

you don't even need to obliquely reference gamergate to summon you anymore do you

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

Actually, all the outrage has been over the removal of the limrick. Someone politely pointed it out to Obsidian and they were immediately like "Oh, our bad, we didn't notice". Then assholes like you threw a hissy fit, and are in fact still throwing a hissy fit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
wrong thread

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Apr 11, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedHate posted:

Actually, all the outrage has been over the removal of the limrick. Someone politely pointed it out to Obsidian and they were immediately like "Oh, our bad, we didn't notice". Then assholes like you threw a hissy fit, and are in fact still throwing a hissy fit.
Obsidian didn't even remove it, they consulted the backer and he decided to change it. Which makes this whole outrage about it even more stupid than it already is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WickedHate posted:

you post . . . badly

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

maou shoujo posted:

Actually that's what drags Crawl down for me. It's a really great and well-balanced roguelike -- once you get past the first 5 floors or so. Prior to that it's way too hard. Most classes start off just one step better than having nothing at all, and the combat mechanics are incredibly swingy. Sometimes you miss all of your attacks or you miscast all of your spells, and get 2 or 3-shotted in return. I've seen way too many characters that die to the first monster, or characters that turn a corner or go down stairs into an unescapable mob of monsters. It feels like such a chore to get a new character started. I'd enjoy the game more if they removed the first few floors of the dungeon, and started you off at the equivalent of level 4 or 5 with a small handful of consumables and equipment that isn't +0. But of course, the devs are never, ever going to do that.
Unless I am streaking I generally just shrug at an early level death. It takes about 20 minutes (with webtiles lag) to get to the 4th floor and/or be cLvl 6 so I just play fast and loose in the beginning and don't really start paying attention until I find an item that is worth building around.

I also can't complain about the devs seeing as the last few versions have removed and streamlined a whole lot of the tedious poo poo from previous versions so I can't assume they wouldn't do more QoL improvements as time goes on. Other then adding more enemies with corrosion. Why must they keep doing this?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Lizard Wizard posted:

Serves you right if you see an option to poo poo on a transgendered person and click it, really.

This is crazy but, videogames are not real life

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

When it looks like I'm not going to be able to win, I focus on trying to do unlock ables. Like trying to get new characters or something. At least get something out of the run.

But yeah, it can be downright brutal at times.

I completely suck at the game because I'd unlocked all but two characters before I even managed to finish a run.

I only finished that run because I switched the difficulty down to 'too easy' and got lucky with elevator placement. The game has no right to be this unpleasant and still be huge fun to play

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also -- and this probably says more about me than the game -- I feel like it might be nice to have some sort of warning when I'm about to send unarmed characters out on the battlefield. :saddowns:

Remember the bit with Vaike in chapter 2? :v:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Every game that has ever enforced a time limit on me for a main quest/mission I have absolutely hated completely, and has caused me to either not play it, not buy it in the first place, or mod the timer out as soon as possible.

Fallout and the Dead Rising games spring to mind immediately. gently caress those timers, I want to explore and complete quests/kill the poo poo out of zombies, not rush around everywhere paranoid that I'll spend 30 seconds too long clearing a gas station which means I fail the game 30 hours later. You can shove that right up your arse

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

princecoo posted:

Every game that has ever enforced a time limit on me for a main quest/mission I have absolutely hated completely, and has caused me to either not play it, not buy it in the first place, or mod the timer out as soon as possible.

Fallout and the Dead Rising games spring to mind immediately. gently caress those timers, I want to explore and complete quests/kill the poo poo out of zombies, not rush around everywhere paranoid that I'll spend 30 seconds too long clearing a gas station which means I fail the game 30 hours later. You can shove that right up your arse

Fallout doesn't end if you don't get the water chip back to Vault 13 in time.
Dead Rising kind of expects you to fail a couple of times because the storyline doesn't take especially long to do and it saves your XP between playthroughs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought Fallout would end with the vault dying off or mutants over-running the place if you took too long?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
the time limit varies a lot depending on whether the game is patched & what region it is. there are also bugs that will never let you see certain endings like the good ending for The Hub area and other stuff iirc

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Inco posted:

Dead Rising kind of expects you to fail a couple of times because the storyline doesn't take especially long to do and it saves your XP between playthroughs.

Yeah I felt Dead Rising was pretty stressful at first with the restrictive save system, perma-dead NPCs and time limit. Then I got a handle on the whole you keep your xp thing and I could relax and enjoy it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Again, Borderlands 2 annoyed the hell out of me last night. I was trying to do The Forge solo, expecting it to be a breeze like when I co-oped it the first time.

Torgue bots a few levels higher than me? With elemental damage and artillery than can chew up my 2700+ shield and almost all of my 3500 health with one shot? And their head is not a weak point? And there's no less than 4 or 5 in any given area at a time? And I'm playing as Zero?

:shepicide:

I'm wondering if Gearbox did not playtest some levels, since they seem to be insanely difficult for no reason.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Pre Sequel is better balanced than BL2 but it has the loving Lost Legion Eternals who show up near the end of the game, those guys are amazingly accurate and if you don't kill them fast enough, they transform into Ascended Eternals and basically gain Siren style powers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inco posted:

Dead Rising probably should have made it more obvious that it's not a game over if you fail the main story stuff (except a very specific one for obvious reasons) and that you can keep playing until the helicopter arrives to pick you up for a different ending. The whole point is the time limit is the main opponent though; zombies are there to slow you down.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

UltraVariant posted:

I'm wondering if Gearbox did not playtest some levels, since they seem to be insanely difficult for no reason.

I'm pretty sure since the original Borderlands they've relied on "well if the player dies they can just get back up/respawn right next door" as a crutch when designing levels. It's tolerable in a group since at least some one's there to always pick you back up, but the design philosophy is real transparent if you play solo.

The worst thing about Borderlands 2 is it didn't release with a melee character, and since I played Brick in the first game I never realized how flaccid the gunplay is.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Zer0 was there though?
Maybe not the easiest
Melee nontheless

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to solo Tiny Tina's DLC and am running into the same problem. I'm a few levels higher than most of the guys I'm facing but they still manage to knock out my shields and get me into Fight mode super easy.

Also whoevers idea it was to put monsters that you can't kill without activating that sword in them should be shot. I've had to respawn in this DLC more than any other part of BL2 because of them. They send out a room full of them to kill you, you enter fight mode and can knock them down but not actually kill them because you can't pull the sword out of their back. It's infuriating.

To make matters worse I'm doing it with Gaige so every time I die I lose all my stacks of Anarchy. I don't think I've gotten any higher than 150 stacks because I lose them to dying.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Zer0 was there though?
Maybe not the easiest
Melee nontheless

Was he? I thought he was a sniper/revolvers person like Mordecai was. Well poo poo, far too late now. Already completed the game as a Gunzerker, and the whole thing just left too bad a bad taste in my mouth to give it another go.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Inco posted:

Off the Record has sandbox mode where there is no time limit and your levels there carry over to Story Mode. I didn't find the time limit that bad either and I usually hate being rushed in games.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

TGLT posted:

Was he? I thought he was a sniper/revolvers person like Mordecai was. Well poo poo, far too late now. Already completed the game as a Gunzerker, and the whole thing just left too bad a bad taste in my mouth to give it another go.

Yeah, Zer0 can be either sniper or melee, depending on what you spend your skills on. One of the trees makes it so that when you melee, you rush toward the enemy. With his "turn invisible to crit stuff" power, you can make it so that melee kills extend the time you are in that state instead of ending it, so you end up zipping between dudes, likely killing them, and then repeating. That's how I played him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TGLT posted:

he has a tree for sniper rifles and a tree for melee

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TGLT posted:

I'm pretty sure since the original Borderlands they've relied on "well if the player dies they can just get back up/respawn right next door" as a crutch when designing levels.

Given that this is the case, they really should have realized that the respawn stations mocking you after you've died stops being funny after the second or third time.

Also Thresher enemies just irrationally annoyed me.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Also Thresher enemies just irrationally annoyed me.
This.

Caustic Caverns made me rethink my life.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

they really should have realized that the script stops being funny after the second or third line.

And it's not as though the shooting was much fun, either. I hate Gearbox.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems a lot of people dislike the Borderlands series yet can't stop buying the games.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Much like your posting

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah they just can't stop buying it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

It seems a lot of people dislike the Borderlands series yet can't stop buying the games.
So like alcohol or tobacco. Know that it's bad, just can't stop buying it nonetheless.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played the first Borderlands and thought it was alright, but from the complaints in this thread it seems like they went out of their way to make it more annoying with the level scaling and forced memes. On the other hand, there's a thin line between annoyance and addiction, I definitely understand the urge to finish a game if you feel like it's mocking you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phlegmish posted:

I played the first Borderlands and thought it was alright, but from the complaints in this thread it seems like they went out of their way to make it more annoying with the level scaling and forced memes. On the other hand, there's a thin line between annoyance and addiction, I definitely understand the urge to finish a game if you feel like it's mocking you.

To be fair "forced meme" in goon can simply mean "They referenced the internet this one time."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phlegmish posted:

I learned my lesson and have yet to touch the pre-sequel or the DLC that everyone said was awful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Phlegmish posted:

I played Borderlands 2, because it looked like a game that I could get really into. And it got so close, so often, it clearly wants to be that game I really, really wanted it to be. It just falls short in more ways than it succeeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Len posted:

To be fair "forced meme" in goon can simply mean "They referenced the internet this one time."

SA memes are fine to mention though, Goons can't get enough of those (See New Vegas) but those non SA memes, how dare you mentioned memes in my game!