Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

falz posted:

I was most blown away by was something I had never heard of - Sharp x68000 XVI. Some home PC from Japan that could play what appeared to be arcade perfect ports in 1991. The picture of the PC itsself didn't turn out, so here's its info sheet.

Stick around in this thread, there's a few goons here that own it or a version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Stick around in this thread, there's a few goons here that own it or a version of it.

I really want to bring mine to one of these things so people can play games off the CF card, seems like it would be a big hit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

falz posted:

I was most blown away by was something I had never heard of - Sharp x68000 XVI. Some home PC from Japan that could play what appeared to be arcade perfect ports in 1991. The picture of the PC itsself didn't turn out, so here's its info sheet.

They are "arcade perfect" in that they look the same and play the same, because it's the same cpu etc, but the sound hardware in the sharp is really poo poo so the music etc are always hosed up in sharp ports.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just got back from MGC....

Anyway, made a decent haul, bought a 32X

Now that I bought the 32x, I can officially make the Sega Tower Of Power

I guess technically the Sega/Galoob Tower Of Power.

Yes, it boots and everything.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now that I bought the 32x, I can officially make the Sega Tower Of Power

I guess technically the Sega/Galoob Tower Of Power.

Yes, it boots and everything.

Where's the the Sega CD? smdh here :rolleyes:

Just playing :) Does it run without any hitches or strangeness? I find it hard to believe that will play completely stable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, booted to the Game genie screen, which then booted to Sonic 3, no problems.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

They are "arcade perfect" in that they look the same and play the same, because it's the same cpu etc, but the sound hardware in the sharp is really poo poo so the music etc are always hosed up in sharp ports.

It's a FM synth similar to a Genesis or Sound Blaster so yeah a lot of the music sounds really weird which is why people use a MT-32 or SC-55 because those things tend to sound better (don't jump down my throat FM fanboys, you're weird)

e: for the record I like beefier FM synths like the DX7 etc, it's just when they're cut down to put in cheaper synths or game machines/sound cards/etc they sound dumb and farty unless the person doing the audio programming is a genius

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 12, 2015

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

falz posted:

I was quite happy to spend some time playing one of my favorite arcade games, Atari Football:

I got to play one of these a long time ago at Videotopia and it's a lot of fun with two players. I'd love to have one but I'd bet the upkeep on one of those is a pain.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's for another too long post on a game that nobody cares about!

Yes, I used an emulator to get my screengrabs for this. I wasn't going to try doing this off my WonderSwan screen.

Buffers Evolution is a game that completely defied my expectations. I looked at some screenshots and though, "That may be fun!" and ordered it. Take a look at this:

It looks like your standard platformer, right? Nothing to complex or revolutionary, but it's pretty obvious what the game is. In actuality, this is a speedrunning game. Not a racing game since there's no one running the levels except you, but the primary goal is to complete each stage as fast as possible and get the best time.

It's not hard to complete a stage. In fact, I've only died twice in running all of the levels. It's moving through them fast that's the problem.

The premise of the game is that in the future people like watching cybernetically enhanced animals run through platforming levels as a sport. That's pretty much all of it. You've got a hawk, lion, and rhino, each with slightly different stats. You have your choice of nine courses at the start of the game and nine more unlock once you clear them.

At the start of the game, the only thing they can do is turn into that pair of scissors form which makes them invulnerable. It's good for bouncing off things. Early on about the only thing that can hurt you are the explosions from enemies. Getting hurt turns you a darker shade and getting hurt again finishes you off. When you're damaged you occasionally glitch which makes you stop in place and transform. Fortunately, there are lots of places to heal in each level.

There are ten checkpoints in each level, conveniently numbered. Get all ten and you unlock a new transformation for your animal. Before each level you can select two of these transformations to use. They can turn into things like a glider, jet ski, motorcycle, or artillery piece. They serve two purposes: to get you through the level faster and to open up new paths.

So what generally winds up happening is that the first pass through a level is hitting the check points so that you can unlock the new form. Then you can race through it afterward.

There's another set of collectables in each stage as well that generally require using some special abilities to access. So Buffers Evolution isn't a difficult game, but there's a lot to do. It also plays fast which is perfect for a portable game. You can pick it up and run a level in three minutes or work for fifteen minutes to locate all the secrets in a stage. Even though it's not something I'd call a hidden gem, it's at least interesting.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 12, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

quote:

Midwest Gaming Classic

Man, I'd love to go to something like this. Thanks for the pics.

I caught a french stream yesterday playing Irem Arcade Hits and remembered that I actually bought it a few years ago. Logged into dotEmu to download it, and saw I also have Raiden Legacy and Guilty Gear Iksuka, sweet. I fire up Irem and start several games but the sound's all messed up in all of them. I mean, it plays ok, it's just choppy. Really distracting. Also my Xbox controller's D-pad can't be mapped to controls so I have to use the stick. Gross. Load up Raiden Legacy and can use the d-pad but there's random frame-skipping and I hate the way they hacked in menus to the actual games. The credit system is all sorts of busted too - I started with 3 credits, next time I had 9, and when it got to 0 it bugged out and said 99 and didn't go down from there. My thumb was sore at that point so I didn't play Guilty Gear.

It's just a shame dotEmu hosed these two releases up as they are great games. MAME is a better option, sadly.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My CIB Phantasy Star, that I purchased on ebay on March 22nd, is STILL sitting in Opa Locka, FL at the their USPS hub. I filed a report and was contacted by the office in my town. They can't get any info from Florida. She suggested I file a claim for my money. All the reviews I've read have people claiming the same thing as me, all within the last month. Seems like this hub just loving steals from people. If you're trying to get something from Florida by USPS, don't.

1 star rating from over 50 people.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How much of a difference in quality does S-video make compared to composite?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I find it a pretty big difference. Any text you see will be clearer and the whole picture should be much less blurry.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jimbot posted:

It's dramatic. Here's the SMS no game screen to compare (the Video2 overlay in the first photo didn't cause it)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Very cool. Thanks for the info. My Neo Geo has S-video on it already and I did notice a difference upon a glimpse but since most of my other consoles are composite (and RF since my TV back when I bought these consoles only had one composite port) I wasn't sure if it was worth getting S-Video cables for it. But I think I will. Luckily the Playstations up until 4 all use the same connector in the back so I can just get PS3 S-cables and it'll work all the way back to the original.

I just need to buy myself a splitter and I'll be in business. Any recommendations for one?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You can plug in composite and s-video then just switch TV inputs and see the difference in real time.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

checked out all about fun and games in escondido and was pleasantly surprised. their store is wicked small, but the staff is friendly and their selection is pretty good and reasonably priced. grabbed fear effect and ace combat 4 for under $20.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
HDMI N64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlq1AaxngEU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[Img-fry-takemymoney]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

[Img-fry-takemymoney]

I think what you want is :shepspends:.

And I saw it first, it's mine! :shepspends:

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
A friend said he found some old game cartridge for me while cleaning.

Neither of us has ever had a Neo Geo...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

NinjaPablo posted:

A friend said he found some old game cartridge for me while cleaning.

Neither of us has ever had a Neo Geo...

Well, here's your excuse.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Random Stranger posted:

It's for another too long post on a game that nobody cares about!

Yes, I used an emulator to get my screengrabs for this. I wasn't going to try doing this off my WonderSwan screen.

Buffers Evolution is a game that completely defied my expectations. I looked at some screenshots and though, "That may be fun!" and ordered it. Take a look at this:

It looks like your standard platformer, right? Nothing to complex or revolutionary, but it's pretty obvious what the game is. In actuality, this is a speedrunning game. Not a racing game since there's no one running the levels except you, but the primary goal is to complete each stage as fast as possible and get the best time.

It's not hard to complete a stage. In fact, I've only died twice in running all of the levels. It's moving through them fast that's the problem.

The premise of the game is that in the future people like watching cybernetically enhanced animals run through platforming levels as a sport. That's pretty much all of it. You've got a hawk, lion, and rhino, each with slightly different stats. You have your choice of nine courses at the start of the game and nine more unlock once you clear them.

At the start of the game, the only thing they can do is turn into that pair of scissors form which makes them invulnerable. It's good for bouncing off things. Early on about the only thing that can hurt you are the explosions from enemies. Getting hurt turns you a darker shade and getting hurt again finishes you off. When you're damaged you occasionally glitch which makes you stop in place and transform. Fortunately, there are lots of places to heal in each level.

There are ten checkpoints in each level, conveniently numbered. Get all ten and you unlock a new transformation for your animal. Before each level you can select two of these transformations to use. They can turn into things like a glider, jet ski, motorcycle, or artillery piece. They serve two purposes: to get you through the level faster and to open up new paths.

So what generally winds up happening is that the first pass through a level is hitting the check points so that you can unlock the new form. Then you can race through it afterward.

There's another set of collectables in each stage as well that generally require using some special abilities to access. So Buffers Evolution isn't a difficult game, but there's a lot to do. It also plays fast which is perfect for a portable game. You can pick it up and run a level in three minutes or work for fifteen minutes to locate all the secrets in a stage. Even though it's not something I'd call a hidden gem, it's at least interesting.
Thanks for posting this write up, I enjoy when people do this in the thread for games I've never heard of.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

What is this doing exactly? Just taking the N64's image and outputting it in 480p over HDMI to let the TV or scaler do the scaling? Or is it somehow improving the graphics further?

Jimbot posted:

Very cool. Thanks for the info. My Neo Geo has S-video on it already and I did notice a difference upon a glimpse but since most of my other consoles are composite (and RF since my TV back when I bought these consoles only had one composite port) I wasn't sure if it was worth getting S-Video cables for it. But I think I will. Luckily the Playstations up until 4 all use the same connector in the back so I can just get PS3 S-cables and it'll work all the way back to the original.

I just need to buy myself a splitter and I'll be in business. Any recommendations for one?

What you want is a switch, not a splitter. I've had the cheap Pelican ones and they work great. Here is a link on eBay I found for you that I can verify works great with no picture quality issues and no humming audio : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-Acc...=item2a4eddad9e

The only thing you want to make sure if is that the output s-video cable is of good quality. The "only as strong as your weakest link" thing really holds true for analog video and audio stuff.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh boy, ordered a nice looking DSi XL with fresh screens! Can't want to get it today!

What the poo poo... I live in California...

Sorry, what do you mean by "fresh screens". Is there some sort of DSi XL screen mod or screen replacement thing?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh boy, ordered a nice looking DSi XL with fresh screens! Can't want to get it today!

What the poo poo... I live in California...

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a DSi XL when the 3DS XL's do all the same and more? Just for collection purposes?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a DSi XL when the 3DS XL's do all the same and more? Just for collection purposes?

Easier to use flash carts on? DSi probably isn't getting software updates every other week

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What is this doing exactly? Just taking the N64's image and outputting it in 480p over HDMI to let the TV or scaler do the scaling? Or is it somehow improving the graphics further?

It is tapping the digital video signals from the RCP, buffering a couple of lines of video and producing a 1080p video signal over HDMI.

This isn't the first time this has been done but this actually looks like a product that will get a release instead of a one-off project.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Milkman posted:

Easier to use flash carts on? DSi probably isn't getting software updates every other week

From what I understand the 3DS runs them just fine, it's the 3DS flash carts and region-unlocking that it crushes.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DSi XL if you're playing strictly DS games looks much nicer than 3DS XL does in DS mode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's like playing an SNES on a CRT vs playing on an 1080p HDTV. One of them looks crisp and sharp and the other is blurry, stretched and not great to look at, but still serviceable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

DSi XL if you're playing strictly DS games looks much nicer than 3DS XL does in DS mode.

Ah, didn't know that. I jumped from my OG Phat DS to a 3DS, so I never touched a DSi or XL. Though funnily enough I've wound up owning three of the five models of 3DS now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That seems kind of wasteful. You can hold start+select while starting a DS game on the 3DSXL (not a regular 3DS though IIRC) to have it display at 256×192 so that it will look identical to playing on a DS Lite. This always looked better to me than running (especially older) DS games on a either XL normally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

That seems kind of wasteful. You can hold start+select while starting a DS game on the 3DSXL (not a regular 3DS though IIRC) to have it display at 256×192 so that it will look identical to playing on a DS Lite.

Pixel density is thing - It's the right size, but the pixels are not so it won't be perfect. And you can resize DS games on a regular 3DS.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

That seems kind of wasteful. You can hold start+select while starting a DS game on the 3DSXL (not a regular 3DS though IIRC) to have it display at 256×192 so that it will look identical to playing on a DS Lite. This always looked better to me than running (especially older) DS games on a either XL normally.

Pics for comparison (check the text in the first one to see blurriness on the 3DS in full-screen image)

On this one check out the logo edges to see blurriness as well

Sure you can put it in "DS" mode but that's pretty... meh when you have much better clarity and larger screens on the DSi XL

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Bonus is the DSiXL have IPS screens (seriously not many people realize this) and the 3DS XL are TN panels. The speakers on the DSiXL are crazy loud as well, and the DS Lite and 3DS XL both have terribly low speakers.

I really love the DSiXL for DS games. I am still so pissed I transferred my Zelda Four Swords Adventures from my DSi to my 3DS (because there's literally no way, even with hacking, to get it back). OK I'll shut up about that finally.

But seriously you can pick up a DSiXL for under $40. Do so today!

Still wanna know what 8-Bit Miniboss was referring to with the new screens, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The 3DS upscaling is awful because the screen's only barely better resolution. It's as simple as that.

If they'd gone for say 800x480 up top and 640x480 on the bottom, DS games would scale way more nicely on the 3DS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I had no idea it was such a stark difference since I totally skipped them and went straight from DSL to 3DS XL. :aaaaa:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what I understand the 3DS runs them just fine, it's the 3DS flash carts and region-unlocking that it crushes.

I was just going off on trying to use my old DSTwo after I upgraded to 3DS, system updates would invariably block it from booting. And if you didn't keep an older system around you couldn't update the cart's firmware to their new workaround.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I'm interested in getting the best possible picture out of my game systems given the limitations of my HDTV's inputs, would people here be willing/interested in helping me out? I could list off what systems I have, what inputs the TV has, what a/v connection hardware/cables I currently have, and how everything is currently rigged up.

I'm not opposed to buying new cables/adapters/upscalers, and I'm even possibly okay with modding the consoles as long as a total idiot newbie can do it (I.e. No electrical engineering degree required). I can follow simple instructions written in laymans terms.

One thing I'm pretty confident about is that my tv lacks an S-video input.

If this isn't the thread for that sort of stuff, is the another thread/forum for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Xenomrph posted:

So if I'm interested in getting the best possible picture out of my game systems given the limitations of my HDTV's inputs, would people here be willing/interested in helping me out? I could list off what systems I have, what inputs the TV has, what a/v connection hardware/cables I currently have, and how everything is currently rigged up.

I had many video game systems in some storage bins, before taking any of them out I decided to make a matrix to find a common theme on what to target video output for

Note that there's almost certainly some inaccuracies here, and it only lists systems I have or would consider getting.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LiHKitC35p6DuNHeWetUCDwBvbqPCy5rbOMqMnf8G4U/edit#gid=0

Also before doing anything, I tried to see if I could get a decent sized (at least 20") RGB CRT at a reasonable price. I couldn't. I ended up targeting svideo, finding a 27" CRT TV by the side of the street, it works just fine.

Edit: I had a link to this at the bottom of my sheet as well: Systems and available A/V outputs

• Locked thread