Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

What is your paint/supplies and mini-in-progress transportation and prep solution?

Luckily I drove down, so cardboard boxes for minis. In progress? Blue tac to upside down rubbermaid lid could work for troops.

The biggest thing is basing material keeps coming off before I can prime them. Otherwise I just spray into a bigger cardboard box outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well here's a product recommendation:

I've been seeing this at art stores forever, and finally picked some up at Target. It's really nice for flocking bases. It's grippy as hell, water-soluble, and the best part is I can't gently caress up the dispenser like I have for every bottle of wood glue I've ever bought.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you dilute it with water, or just use it as-is?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I applied it with a damp brush, so I did thin it but not nearly as much as when I used Tacky Glue or fabric glue.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Has anyone tried using artist acrylics for painting minis? I've got an artist friend who wants to dump a bunch of her fluid Liquitex acrylics on me that she doesn't use anymore. Definitely not going to say know to free paint but I was curious how good a job they do; and if something like Tri-Art or Liquitex Soft-Body can be shot through an airbrush without falling apart? Can't see any reason why they wouldn't perform just fine given that they use high quality pigments and tons of binder so thinning them out for brushing on minis and airbrushing should not be an issue I would imagine. Any of you have experience with the products the beret wearers use?

The prices beats the crap out of miniature specific paints as well.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Pierzak posted:

Which one? I've got two from different generations that I use as entirely separate colors :wtc:

The one right before the switch to the new paints. The Coat d' Arms one is that horrid greenish one iirc.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

When you all paint bases or terrain with glue to get a coat on or to add flock, are we talking watered down elmers white glue, or watered down elmers wood glue?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcturas posted:

When you all paint bases or terrain with glue to get a coat on or to add flock, are we talking watered down elmers white glue, or watered down elmers wood glue?
I use PVA glue. You can go to any art supply store and get a big ol' bottle of it. I use whatever I can find at Michel's - usually it's called tacky glue. This is what's on my desk right now:
http://www.amazon.com/ALEENES-15599-Purpose-Glue-8-Ounce/dp/B00178KLEY

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Both Elmer's are PVA glues. The wood glue just dries yellow the white one dries clear... ish.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Gotcha, thanks.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

SRM posted:

I use PVA glue. You can go to any art supply store and get a big ol' bottle of it. I use whatever I can find at Michel's - usually it's called tacky glue. This is what's on my desk right now:
http://www.amazon.com/ALEENES-15599-Purpose-Glue-8-Ounce/dp/B00178KLEY

Is tacky glue different than pva? I definitely see a difference between Aleenes and Elmers but it really seems like Elmers white glue is just a watered down tacky glue.

Oh, and I had been using mod podge as a cheap water/liquid effect on bases and even as a sealant(this is long before I found this thread). I never thought of using it for flocking. I tried it out and it works really well. Good to know since I have a big ol bottle left over.

Now, any suggestions on what I am supposed to do with all this gesso?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sauer posted:

Has anyone tried using artist acrylics for painting minis? I've got an artist friend who wants to dump a bunch of her fluid Liquitex acrylics on me that she doesn't use anymore. Definitely not going to say know to free paint but I was curious how good a job they do; and if something like Tri-Art or Liquitex Soft-Body can be shot through an airbrush without falling apart? Can't see any reason why they wouldn't perform just fine given that they use high quality pigments and tons of binder so thinning them out for brushing on minis and airbrushing should not be an issue I would imagine. Any of you have experience with the products the beret wearers use?

The prices beats the crap out of miniature specific paints as well.

They work but you need to thin them and some types really don't like being thinned for some reason.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There's no real difference between that tacky stuff and elmers other than the amount of water in it. There may also be some Borax in the tacky stuff which causes PVA to thicken. If you want PVA glue with more "body" to it get the tacky stuff.

Gesso can apparently be used as a mini primer without issue. I've never tried it and never will as long as Vallejo keeps making their polyurethane base primers.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

If you don't want to use it on models, gesso is great for use on terrain pieces.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

moths posted:

I've been seeing this at art stores forever, and finally picked some up at Target. It's really nice for flocking bases. It's grippy as hell, water-soluble, and the best part is I can't gently caress up the dispenser like I have for every bottle of wood glue I've ever bought.

Seconding the hell out of this. It's so grippy, in fact, that even after giving minis a good long soak in Purple Power, I still have to scrape the Mod Podge off of the bases. :v: I just put a blob of MP on my palette, thin it with just a very little bit of water, and go to town. It's also much easier to control and apply than regular ol' Elmer's Glue, too (though you could probably solve that issue by thickening the PVA glue up with talcum powder or something).

Sauer posted:

Gesso can apparently be used as a mini primer without issue. I've never tried it and never will as long as Vallejo keeps making their polyurethane base primers.

I've used both and can recommend them to anyone looking for a good brush-on primer (i.e., people like me who live in humid climates and/or don't have an airbrush just yet).

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Beginner question: How do I make a wash out of a Citadel base color?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SERPUS posted:

Beginner question: How do I make a wash out of a Citadel base color?

Cheapest/easiest way? Put some on a pallet and water it the gently caress down.

More effective way: flow aid or thinner, water, and paint on a pallet. Plain water will inevitably be less effective because the pigments will start to separate and become kind of clunky, but with a thinner or flow aid in there it will help keep it from breaking apart too much.

A cheap and easy thinner is getting some Pledge Floor Wax and make a 50/50 mix with water. Very effective and readily available pretty much anywhere, and a bottle will cost you less than :10bux: Bonus is that it is also a good gloss varnish, so any unthinned portions will see plenty of use.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You should be aware, though, that paints thinned won't generally work as well as washes/inks at being washes/inks, because paints are particles in suspension whereas washes and inks are usually coloured solutions. If you dilute paints too far, they start being too thin to actually colour things effectively.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was playing with some inkpen ink I picked up, Higgins Black Magic and I liked the way it flowed more than the various Citadel washes I tried in the past.

Speaking of ink... I just looked and it's 41% off right now.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Going tomtry my SOTAR for the first time tomorrow. Anything I should be especially aware of, compared to my cheap China brush? I'll be using Vallejo model air with Windex equivalent for cleaning .

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Basically what you've heard from all the experienced airbrushers: thin the paint (with cleaner/thinner or water, not Windex) to a skim milk consistency, make sure you're comfortable with taking it apart and putting it back together properly and make sure you're thorough with your cleaning.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've used both and can recommend them to anyone looking for a good brush-on primer (i.e., people like me who live in humid climates and/or don't have an airbrush just yet).

I've recently discovered that it works great with an airbrush as well. Just thin it down same as paint, if not a little more, and go to town.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I updated my Knight's paint job, finally deciding to weather it a bit and wash it as well as add detail to its base.

Forgive the kind of lazy photography.

What do you guys think?

Edit: For reference this is what it used to look like

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I get that he just sawed that dude, but wouldn't that saw be more for cutting into tanks rather than bisecting foot troops?

It's OK, but I wouldn't have bloodied the blade personally.

Otherwise it looks ace. The weathering works really well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Originally I was going to transplant the vanguard vet marine that I used as a test model for my chapter's paint scheme onto the base as well, implying that the guardsman was cut in half by him, but I figured it would be too cluttered.

The blood on the saw is more of a "cutting through large groups of infantry" as well as tanks, which is why it is pretty bloody. I actually layered the blood so that it is thinner on the tip where the spinning would have removed it, and thicker closer to the base. At least, that is what I was going for. I imagine this thing just cuts lots of stuff to pieces as well as stomps things. (It also looks a bit better in person. My photography kind of sucked tonight)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the weathering is neat but I think the base was better without the rocks and dead dude

it just draws attention away from the cool titan

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That was actually the first thing that grabbed my attention, too.

I started wondering about the force required to hack a guardsman in half, and it seems like he should be splattered all over the base instead of taking a nap in his guts. But gore physics aside, it definitely distracts from the cool giant robit.

e: Or cut up like fifteen guardsmen and have him wading through bodies :black101:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Paint the big rocks a dark grey with a light grey drybrush, they'll stick out less. Dead dude is fine to me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Paint the big rocks a dark grey with a light grey drybrush, they'll stick out less. Dead dude is fine to me.
:agreed:
It's really silly to paint rocks to look like rocks, but sometimes you just gotta.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I should found the Simple Bases Society - Down with the tyranny of tufts!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

moths posted:

Everyone needs some of this. It takes to being watered down really really well, and it's loving everywhere so I never have to order it online.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Any recommendations for a spray matte coating that will protect minis from table use? Preferably something I can get online.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Any recommendations for a spray matte coating that will protect minis from table use? Preferably something I can get online.

Testor's Dullcote is the thread's usual recommendation.

That or Future Floor Wax.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Unzip and Attack posted:

What you'll want to do is use a gloss coat first, like Testors Glosscote or Future floor polish, and then spray a layer of matte or satin on top. My understanding is that the matte vs satin vs gloss is just how light reflects off the model, and only the top layer really matters. With that in mind you use a gloss to provide some hardness to the top coat and then do matte for the visual effect.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

gloss to provide some hardness to the top coat and then do matte for the visual effect.

This, if you have an airbrush spray on Future floor wax and wait a day, then cover that with satin or matte varnish (different folks like different brands/finishes), if you don't have an airbrush use 'Ardcoat or an auto body clear lacquer, wait a day and top with Testor's Dullcote (which is the thread's default suggestion and a long time favorite of many modelers).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone who has done the hairspray chipping technique: Do you have to begin the chipping process immediately after applying your top paint layer, or can you wait? I've seen both "begin the process immediately after your paint layer is dry to the touch" and "whenever you get around to it..."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Also as far as getting stuff online-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ARPH4C/

http://www.thewarstore.com/product33266.html

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone try out the Vallejo Game Air colored primers yet? Are they worth it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Anyone who has done the hairspray chipping technique: Do you have to begin the chipping process immediately after applying your top paint layer, or can you wait? I've seen both "begin the process immediately after your paint layer is dry to the touch" and "whenever you get around to it..."

I've waited a couple hours before doing the chipping and had no real problem. My gut feeling tells me that you probably don't want to wait more than a day or two to get around to it, but I've no real science to back that up. But, hell, may as well just do it at your earliest convenience, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Acrylics are dry to the touch in a couple minutes but completely cured in a few hours depending on brand. You want to start fairly quickly, but you dont have to go right at it straight away. The longer you leave it the bigger the chunks of paint you pull off will be.