Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
A 3% drop for an ultimate weapon seems really, really generous. Then again, anything seems better than the 1/128 chance of some stuff, which is... .007%, if I did the math right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

A 3% drop for an ultimate weapon seems really, really generous. Then again, anything seems better than the 1/128 chance of some stuff, which is... .007%, if I did the math right.
.008% if you round up, but hey, semantics. One-in-33 is definitely an improvement, and unlike in Earthbound, you will probably need the levels that you get from grinding for ultimate weapons and armor.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hirayuki posted:

I love how Boney whines and otherwise acts like a real dog when we decide to eat the mushrooms, bathe in sludge, and blithely chat up enemies. This segment was perfectly unsettling for me on my playthrough, and I understand Itoi actually toned down Tanetane Island after he found his first round of temporary dialogue "so unpleasant [he] couldn't stand to look at it."

I wonder what it was like before it got toned down? It's still a pretty bad trip, reminds me of what it's like to have bad anxiety.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

Y-Hat posted:

.008% if you round up, but hey, semantics. One-in-33 is definitely an improvement, and unlike in Earthbound, you will probably need the levels that you get from grinding for ultimate weapons and armor.

No.

1/128 is 0.0078125, or 0.78125%.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Leavemywife posted:

You combined decimal odds with percentage. The correct value is 0.78%.

Y-Hat posted:

One-in-33 is definitely an improvement

That would be 3.03%, roughly 4x the 1/128.
:science:

e:f,b

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Alxprit posted:

Something mechanically interesting: If you say yes to the Claus that wants to join you, he'll temporarily follow behind your party like a fifth party member, but after some time passes or you open your menu, he'll say something and get a guaranteed ambush on you. The game is meant to be able to support five party members at a time solely for this scene, it seems. Using a debug menu or other methods to put in other party members works, sorta, but it's all wonky. You can put an NPC there and have it be mostly fine for battles though.

So, there’s a neat thing we can do here if you have Claus in the fifth-party slot.

If we agree to the Claus-Doppelganger for whatever goony reason, he’ll temporarily replace Kid-Claus as the fifth party member.

Granted, he’ll still ambush you, but that’s not the point.

After the battle, both Claus’s will disappear from the map. However, if we move Claus back in the fifth-party member slot…

His Chapter 1-3 sprite will be replaced by his Chapter 7 sprite.

Unfortunately, it carries some errors. For one, it doesn’t have a horizontal running animation -it has a speed-walking animation in place instead.

It also keeps Claus’s ‘kid’ sprite in the status menu, which is a problem if you’re bothered by that kind of stuff.

I am the highlander!

But screw that: it's funnier to imagine a 10-year old beating the crap out of things.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
This was my favorite part of the game and the next boss is my favorite boss and Ocho is my favorite npc. :)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like the LP missed a very small background thing that adds something to the story of the game later on.

Though it is all speculation and i cant really hint at it without huge spoilers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can mention it when appropriate and if it's not too much a pain in the rear end and I'm not lazy I'll go back and show it off or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mega64 posted:

Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing. Nothing after nothing came bursting out.

I really like this line.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

the next boss is my favorite boss
Are you a masochist?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Are you a masochist?

Don't hate. :gay:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Are you a masochist?

It might be really hard but it's music owns. Also, come on, no boss can work a room like that one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

I really like this line.

For some reason, it reminds me of Welcome To Night Vale's specific brand of surrealist terror.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: never mind, it'd cause a bad derail.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 13, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

I really like this line.
That and "The boy named Lucas learned some bad magic." are my favorite mailbox lines. The warped perspective on Lucas's actions and development is kinda chilling, I like it a lot.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Y-Hat posted:

Are you a masochist?
What? Next boss is really easily broken with Defense Down Alpha. Or was it Offense Down Alpha? Either way it makes it completely harmless.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

For a second at the start of the previous update I was wondering why everyone was being dropped into the water...then I remembered :argh: ROPE SNAKE!!!! :argh:

Also we've finally gotten to a point in mother 3 I've never played. I always seem to burn out at the saturn village.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

KataraniSword posted:

For some reason, it reminds me of Welcome To Night Vale's specific brand of surrealist terror.

Yeah, now that you've said that I can completely hear that whole "the boy named Lucas" sequence in Cecil's voice. Brr.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Everyone's waiting to throw rocks at you, spit on you, and make your life hell. Who's "everyone"...? Everyone you love.

This is the one that always sticks in my mind for whatever reason. This entire sequence is creepy as gently caress though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

This is the one that always sticks in my mind for whatever reason. This entire sequence is creepy as gently caress though.

Well it especially creepy because it is true. Lucas is the villian of the story from the villagers view point. The pig army has brought them happiness and technology. Where are lucas is constantly causing fights and refusing to change.

They aren't rock throwing yet, because they watched him grow up. They love him and he loves them. But they are definitely annoyed by his actions. If lucas doesn't beat the pig army and expose why they are evil soon, he will lose everyone he has ever loved.

Except his dog :unsmith:

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 16, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Now it's time to get to that needle. There's a small cave area and then one big screen where the needle is.

These guys are Scamperin' Mushrooms, which we already met in the volcano earlier.

These guys were one of the enemies we fought in the previous update. Like the rest of its species, these guys specialize in high defenses, strong attacks, and hypnosis (in this case, Hypnosis Omega, which can hit the entire party).

Next up is this mountain area with only one type of enemy.

These guys are pretty one-note, though their one note hits hard.

It does alright damage to three different characters, which adds up when you're trying to make it to the boss relatively unscathed.

Thankfully, Wall Staples are as helpful as ever.

Of course, there's treasure in this area.

This is the last of the musical presents. Savor it while you can.

This weapon is a slight upgrade over the Spiky Weapon I just bought Lucas not five minutes ago.

Also it doesn't look very vigorous.

A nice head upgrade for Duster.

It's pretty uneventful otherwise, and soon we make it to the top.

Lifeup Gamma is exclusive to Lucas, and it will restore the target's HP to full for 16PP. Very, very handy to have.

As Mixolydia said, the needle is up here and well-guarded.

Are th-th-these the "Barrier Trio"? Each one of their names is carved here.

Barrier Man
Barrier Gal
Barrier Dude...

Are they really that strong?

Meet the Barrier Trio, which serves as one of the more interesting fights in the game. This is one of the more gimmicky fights in the series, which is kinda surprising since there's really not that many gimmick fights if you think about it.

First thing's first, you gotta get rid of that shield.

PSI Counter puts up a psychic shield that both halves PSI damage and reflects inflicted damage back to the opponent. Normally, I wouldn't bother with this and would just stick with shields. However, for this fight you'll want all the extra damage you can get.

I believe you can cheese the fight by continually lowering the Trio's defense, forcing it to waste turns on Defense Up Omega to counter it. I don't really bother to do this in this fight, but the option's there.

So, the gimmick of this fight. One of the three will call out a pose, and all three will go into a stance. Depending on who called out the stance, the trio will be weak to one of PK Fire/Freeze/Thunder and immune to the other two. Barrier Man is weak to Fire, Barrier Gal to Freeze, and Barrier Dude to Thunder.

For this fight, I only had Barrier Gal call out poses, which works nicely since Freeze is Kumatora's strongest PSI. Unfortunately, there are not different battle sprites for each pose, only "posing" and "regular" sprites.

Since the Barrier Trio have very high defenses and will counter Defense Down with Defense Up, Boney and Duster won't be very effective with just their physical attacks. This is as good a fight as any to finally use all those explosives you've been stockpiling. Don't tell me you've been using them, I know you're hoarding them to use in a very tough fight that'll never happen. Seriously, stop saving those things, you don't have any more inventory room for new stuff.

I'm even using healing items this fight!

Freeze hitting a weakness does decent damage, about 400. For reference, the Barrier Trio has 4000 HP to burn through.

There's no reason it should be Omega instead of Alpha, since the Barrier Trio is technically one enemy. But it does make sense logically since there's three of them. They also have enough PP where it doesn't really matter.

Considering your only reliable sources of damage are Kumatora and possibly Lucas when he has a break, having Counter deal extra damage will add up.

Do enough damage, and you'll break the pose and they'll have to regroup.

Barrier Gal's the only one doing any work.

And this is why you want to use Counter instead of Shield. That's 320 extra damage right there.

Well, that's far from the only reason.

For if you do enough damage to them, this happens.

When you see this, make absolutely sure you're healed and shielded.

Even with shields, this does huge damage to the entire party.

And to the Barrier Trio. This is why you want PSI Counter over PSI Shield. That's close to 600 free damage on the thing from its ultimate attack. It just hurt itself for 15% of its max HP.

I lost Lucas but at this point I decide to push it and go for broke because why not.

As you can see...

...I got lucky.

In the end, I barely made it. Fun fight overall.

It looks like we'll be ahead on the Needles for once!

OH COME ON

Looks like our old friends the Pigmasks have come to crash the party. I don't care, I'll clobber you all again if I hafta.

I'll clobber you too while I'm at it.

...Welp.

Yeah, this is one of those "gently caress you" moments games like to pull on you.

And just like that, we're back to nothing.

Hey, you. Just how long are you going to sleep there?

Your heart wasn't the one passed on to the Dark Dragon; that masked man's was... But there's nothing that we can do about that. Fate is fate. ...But it's odd. I should be sensing that masked man's heart coming from the earth, but I'm not feeling anything at all...

I instructed him to wait for you at the beach. You can ride on his back all the way back to Tazmily. I'll give you my razor and lipstick. Take good care of them, almost as if they were me.

Oh, wait. I almost forgot something very important. Could you give this to Ionia for me?

In Tazmily, I believe there is a "map-loving and map-owning" fellow, yes? I think he'll know where Ionia's house is. So hurry there! Take this to Ionia!

Welp, we failed. It just means we have to get those last two needles.

Oh yeah, we gotta backtrack through the entire island and we don't get any healing. So have fun with that.

On the way back, Kumatora force-feeds Lucas some jerky. That's pretty much the highlight.

Also, butterflies.

Fire Gamma is nice, 200-230 damage to all enemies.

At least there's a Hot Spring before we backtrack the rest of the way.

On the way back, we meet the other two enemies from the previous section. Ancient Dragonflies breathe fire but are otherwise fragile and go down quickly.

Monkalrus is the last one. It hits hard.

It also has fleas, so maybe keep your distance?

No more mushrooms, it seems.

The snake and I talked things over, and I decided to go back outside. So now we're both back in our natural states.

At least they worked things out.

I know I'm an octopus, but please get on.

You're given the option to refuse. If you do:

Is it because I'm an octopus?

Let's not be racist and ride him home.

Yeah. Good work today.
See you later.

And so our heroes ride home on an octopus. Pretty tame as far as adventures go.

Next time, we'll tackle the final section of this chapter as we race to find Ionia and pull the sixth needle before the Masked Man does.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the part where everyone decides to just watch the Pigmask ship slowly descend when Lucas could have just pulled out the needle in that time was really dumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AWAKEN, MY MASTERS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAb1QBUz208

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I hate you for making that boss look easy.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the part where everyone decides to just watch the Pigmask ship slowly descend when Lucas could have just pulled out the needle in that time was really dumb.

Good old lazy writing. Nothing like making the player feel like they really just wasted their time playing the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I know gamers are pretty conditioned to accept cutscene stupidity, but that took it a couple miles too far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Meh. It's no White Knight Chronicles.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had to put the game down for a while at this point.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I really like this scene, because it sets for a really good showdown between our heroes and the masked man. Up until this point the pig army really wasn't a huge threat. Our heroes have destroyed tanks, destroyed the chimera lab, destroyed the lightning tower, and saved the mr. Saturn village. The mask man handled them easily. It basically the game saying you have only been winning because you have only been facing the low ranking pigs. But yes the masked man should have handled the scene a bit faster.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I almost want to say this is a parody of cutscene stupidity, like making fun of the stuff you'd see in White Knight Chronicles where the heroes just let the villain do whatever because Plot. But if it was, then they definitely could have done it better and the whole thing feels rather cheep. Eh, Poe's Law I guess.

Still though, the Barrier Trio was amazing.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Still though, the Barrier Trio was amazing.

I think you mean spectacular.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gotta love anybody who goes out like that. They died as they lived.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

For me, it was the Flint who talked about beating Lucas. Probably because he used the word, "Daddy". I read it as being spoken in a calm, not-even-mad, "everything's going to be fine" tone of voice, which might've made it creepier than it was meant to be?

Just the thought of a little (ex-?)crybaby (seriously, I can't remember how old he is, but he's still a little kid) who obviously doesn't know about what random mushrooms can do, tripping out to THAT extent without knowing what's going on or why the grass is suddenly glowing pink, seeing his dad, running over in terror because "Oh, god, the trees have eyes and the eyes are melting and the melted eyes are growing mouths and talking and what is even going on!"... and then having pretty much the only human left that's close to him threatening him for no reason.

I remember reading a psych paper on how one of the worst fears of any baby animal is disappointing/angering its parents and being left to take care of itself because of it, and how as far as they can tell, that's a big part of the reason baby animals look adorable and try their best to copy what their parents do, so they'll see the baby as a smaller themselves or something. Supposedly that's the reason why human kids listen to their parents and cry when they think they did something to make the parents mad?

I can't imagine how it could've been more disturbing before it got toned down. Moonside was funny. This was just... well, not your Daddy's Earthbound.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Moonside fits Earthbound's offbeat but lighthearted atmosphere in the same way that Tanetane Island-while-high-on-shrooms fits Mother 3's disturbing and depressing atmosphere. Both games are great, but one of the reasons I like Earthbound more is because I like the plot's tone (also because it's a much longer game).

MR. J posted:

What? Next boss is really easily broken with Defense Down Alpha. Or was it Offense Down Alpha? Either way it makes it completely harmless.
"Completely" harmless is an exaggeration, but it does make the fight a lot easier since the Trio will waste PP casting Defense Up Omega after Duster and Kumatora debuffs. If Mega64 had combined that with his PSI Counter tactic, then the fight would have been even easier than it looked. But if you're not prepared for Barrier Trio, then it's a very tough battle. I know that Starstorm hosed me up the first time I fought them.

I kinda like the cutscene. Yeah, it's overly dramatic and drawn-out, but there's something charming about rolling out the red carpet for someone who then proceeds to kick your rear end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, bad stuff happened and we let the Masked Man pull another needle. We're down 3-2, so we need to pull the last two.

But since we're back in Tazmily, might as well catch up with people.

:siren: :siren:

Well... It seems a bit emptier than usual.

Oh, hey, there's Alec! Finally, someone to talk to.

Oh, Lucas. Slowly but steadily, the people of Tazmily've been heading into the big city. I didn't know you guys were still here, though.

It's certainly not nearby, I can tell you that. Do you remember my little cabin in the mountains where you used to come visit? To the west of that old cabin is Argilla Pass. You can get to Ionia's place from there. Whatever the case, it'd probably be a good idea to take a map... I ran into Mapson just a minute ago. He might still be around here somewhere. You should get him to mark your map for you.

So a huge chunk of the Tazmily citizenry has just up and left, we're talking 75% at least. There's not many people to talk to anymore, though there's still a few.

I'll just lie around and beach-comb and stuff. You want some R-and-R, too?

You can still rest with Bronson, though considering how he's looking right now it may not be the best idea without getting some sunscreen first.

(When you think about it, a lot has happened. I'm reminded of so many things. I'm now a stray dog with a home. But I have no owner. That's my story.)

At least some of the people and animals still here seem happy.

I don't know anything about this Ionia person, but I do know where Argilla Pass is. Let me see your map for a second. ...There. This mark shows where Argilla Pass is.

Bye, now. This has been the map-loving and map-owning Mapson.

Ionia's home is quite the trek, though at least reaching the mountains will be easy since we vastly outlevel the enemies up to there.

When did everyone suddenly get together to discuss leaving for the big city?

Even so, I really want to go. I should just ditch this miserable little village and be done with it. ...Oh, Lucas! You didn't hear me talking to myself just now, did you?

Pusher and his family and servants are still here.

We STILL can't move out, because of my husband's job. Oh, why did he have to be the mayor of this dinky little village?

Do you speak to others with a smile on your face? That's one of the most basic things you can do to be lively. This has been Huck the Huckster's "Humor Dojo".

This is just between you and me, but I've landed a new job in the city. I couldn't care less about the mayor and his wife. So I'm going to suddenly up and disappear in a day or two. Ack! Busy! So busy!

Oh, you're back? I can't really teach you anything about humor. I'm still in training myself. But I can see you really lack humor, too.

Not me, though. I can't just up and leave my store behind. Would you like to buy something?

Thomas still has his wares from the beginning of Chapter 4. Move on already, sir.

Finally, I worked up the resolve to not care what happens, so I stepped outside...and everyone was gone. Which means this hotel now belongs to me. This is what they mean by, "Stepping outside your comfort zone will lead to greater things." Understand, kid? Learn by my example! I went from a man with no money whatsoever to a hotel king! Welcome!

I'm honestly happy that things worked out for this guy, he's one of my favorite NPCs in the game.

Please talk in whispered voices when conducting meetings. Thank you.

He feels less and less like a stranger as time goes on.

See, it's easy to see most of the town up and leaving as a bad thing, and it kinda is, but this is also bringing the few people left closer together. Or something.

Our sheep are still talkative.

Baaa. (Your dad is still looking for Claus, even after all this time. *smile*)

Baaa. (Nearly all the villagers have left. *smile*)

Baa. (Flint says he doesn't want to go to the big city. *smile*)

I guess the sheep are all Flint has to talk to anymore since Lucas is off all the time now on his world-saving adventure or whatever.

(Rumor has it another stray dog I know became the master of his domain. That's got me curious now...)

I think this is the first actual mention of this mysterious new city everyone's moving to.

Once I close this gate, I'm off to New Pork City, too. But this stupid thing refuses to close. Gahh! C'mon!

I have a bad feeling about this...

(Sparrow News! The people of Tazmily have been moving to New Pork City one after the other. The results of this are as plain as day: the village is now silent, and its liveliness gone. There are even rumors that Mayor Pusher is considering moving away soon.)

Should we head into the big city, or should we stay behind and keep an eye on the village? I just can't decide...

Don't worry, Dad! Whatever happens, happens!

And that's everyone. Nothing to do now but head on up that mountain and pull that needle.

Well, there's one last thing we should do before we go.

Alright, now we're ready.

This music keeps playing even in the forest. The trek through the mountains is uneventful of course since there's no new enemies or people to meet.

I recognize this area. Ionia's house is north of here. The western path should lead us there. Let's go!

When we reach this area, Kumatora tells us to go left. Right takes us to the remains of Alec's house, of course, but we couldn't go left until now because there were ants walking through the path and it's rude to step on ants. The ants have left now so we can take the path now.

Be careful not to drop anything.

Yeah, like we have to worry about that.

Where'd the Jar of Yummy Pickles go? Did we drop it?! Though I guess that's what happens when it's easy to drop and easy to roll around...
It shouldn't be hard to find. Let's split up and look for it.

So now we play as Boney for this one entire screen as we check spots until we find a jar of pickles.

Think you can find it, Boney? If you find anything, take it to Lucas.

I thought we'd find it pretty quick, but...

See those sparkles? There are five spots that you can check for treasure. One of these, of course, is the Jar of Yummy Pickles.

The other four are various treasures. There's something hard, something small, something soft, and something delicious.

The thing is, each thing can be one of three or four items, with a really good rare item. If you feel like it, you could try save scumming to get the good stuff (there's a save frog on this screen so it's pretty easy to do), since once you grab an item it doesn't respawn.

The hard thing can be a useless Made-You-Look (replicated by Duster's Siren Beetle), an Enemy Bufferizer, or rarely a Super Bomb. Nothing too important.

The small thing can have a Pumice Charm, a Heavy Charm, or rarely a Thud Charm. Pumice Charms will be available for sale soon, and Heavy Charms are on sale in Chapter 8, while Thud Charms can only be found or dropped from enemies. Thud Charms are especially nice since they protect from all status effects, so if there's one thing you want to farm here, it's a Thud Charm.

The soft thing can be a Fresh Mint, a Recollection Bell, and rarely a Secret Herb. Obviously only the herb is of any use (and even then it's now outclassed by Lifenoodles, which I'm getting more and more of as the game goes on).

The delicious thing can actually be one of four items, a Rotten Eclair, a Nut Bread, a Peculiar Cheese, or rarely a King Burger, the last of which is the second-best healing consumable in the game with 280 HP. The rest are pretty underwhelming at this point when you expect items to heal 150-200HP.

Anyway, actually getting the pickles is painless and simple.

It's a little dirty, but that's the Jar of Yummy Pickles alright.

Further on are the Argilla Cliffs, where there's a bunch of new enemies.

Including this semi-rare enemy, the Mystery Metal Monkey. It has crazy sky-high defenses and 12HP. It doesn't have much in the way of offense, having only Fire Alpha to threaten us with.

It also doesn't have much in the way of defenses against PSI, as Thunder or Love will take care of it very easily.

Gives good experience, though!

The mole cricket at this spring sells some more upgrades. The humans like the pumice charms and their respective weapon upgrades, Boney likes the Otter Hat (it's also an upgrade for Lucas but 30PP is more valauble to me than 5 defense), and Duster likes the Crow Bandana.

Tender Loving Trees can be a pain with their high HP and their fondness of stat-draining attacks and Brainshock.

And of course the whole "exploding upon death" thing, can't forget that.

Apparently those trees can also summon these Blue Balding Eagles, and vice-versa. These guys have a high offense but little else of note.

PK Fire Gamma looks pretty sweet, at least.

In fact, this entire area is incredibly similar to Flint's trip to the Oriander Mountains at the end of Chapter 1. I'm pretty sure even the battle music between the very similar enemies are the same.

West and north lead to treasure. Our destination is to the southeast.

Mecha-Moles are more annoying than tough, and that's if you get unlucky.

They fire beams for moderate damage and can use alarms to summon more of them, though I lucked out and never met anymore. They go down quickly enough.

Next up are Cuddle Bombs, and they are a pain. They have a large amount of HP and defense, so killing them is a pain without using PSI. They have regular attacks of course.

They can also cling to people.

Then they have three turns of counting down before blowing that person up. Not sure what happens then since I kill them with PK Love/Freeze before they do their thing. Pretty draining on the PP though, especially since they often show up in groups of two, so it's not a bad idea to run from them.

In exchange for losing three defense, Kumatora gains 20 PP and resistance to fire and ice. Not a bad trade, I'd say.

Hidden in the west area is this guy. If you read the SA forums regularly, you probably already recognize him.

Meet the Negative Man.

He attacks for 1HP damage.

He's also pretty negative on himself.

Here's some of the quotes I got from him:

quote:

:negative:

Negative Man mumbled, "I'm nothing but a worthless protoplasm..."
Negative Man moaned, "Just get rid of me now..."
Negative Man sobbed, moaned, and started wailing.
Negative Man muttered, "It's always the same..."
Negative Man murmured, "Life is but a moment, a meaningless grain of sand..."

So yeah, that's Negative Man.

And if you leave and re-enter the room, he respawns, so you can listen to him be down on himself as often as you'd like!

Sticky Slugs are pretty fragile and weak. Their only strengths are getting the drop on you (literally) and their numbers. Otherwise, they have weak attacks and stat debuffs.

A new collar for Boney, another +10 to Offense and Defense. Always nice to have.

Even if it's a pain in the rear end to escape. Oh well, nothing PK Fire can't handle.

Both of these are learned at L45 for Lucas and Kumatora respectively. Like all the other Omegas, PSI Shield Omega gives everyone a PSI Shield, while Magnet Omega drains PP from every enemy for no cost, handy if it were worth the effort to use it.

Oh yeah, there's also this enemy.

Heftyheads have a crazy amount of HP for a regular enemy, nearly 2000. They also apparently have nasty attacks at their disposal.

That said, it's trivial to distract them with a Siren Beetle and get them so that they do nothing. Just have Duster use Siren Beetle every other round and you're set. You can also take advantage of Brainshock if you wish.

They also have a 3% chance of dropping the Mystical Stick, one of the strongest weapons Lucas can wield. I'm not gonna bother grinding for rare drops though, plus I like the challenge.

Eventually we leave the caves and make it here. To the north is this place sealed with vines.

To the east is Ionia's House. It's been awhile since we last saw her, so let's pay her a visit.

Next time, we finally close off this lengthy chapter as the end game looms near.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
As sad as a lot of the stuff in this game has been, everyone leaving the village is one of the saddest parts I've seen.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hoss Corncave posted:

As sad as a lot of the stuff in this game has been, everyone leaving the village is one of the saddest parts I've seen.

The music makes it even sadder, those sirens were on the music link for good reason. But I'm happy for the hotel guy!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

It's pretty :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh cool, I was wondering why you didn't mention the Mystical Gloves either.

• Locked thread