Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

catlord posted:

Yeah, I did that to get back the crosshair and stuff. Now I seem to have an autoexec file almost set up, save for screen resolution. Maybe I don't need one? I assume there's some people here who use the Quake Injector with Quakespasm, how do you have it working?

For video resolution just set it up through the menus. Also leave the fov console variable set at 90, at least for starters; QuakeSpasm (and DarkPlaces) will adjust the actual FOV based on screen aspect ratio so that you don't have to manually increase the fov value.

If you like, you can tweak the statusbar appearance with scr_sbarscale and scr_sbaralpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NuclearPotato posted:

Just about all of the major source ports have a Mac version up and running. The primary exception is GZDoom, but even that has an unofficial Mac fork. As far as playing coop at work, you can probably just grab Zandronum or Chocolate Doom (with Doomseeker) and get stuff going without much fuss.

Sweet, thanks. Gotta run to best buy and snag a real mouse. As nice as the apple trackpaddy mouse is for general/work computing, lol at using it for doom

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

UIApplication posted:

Is there a good Mac source port for Doom? I don't need crazy mod support or anything, just something to jam out the base campaign on coop at work.

Guncaster looks fuckin dope tho

I regularly build nightlies of GZDoom for Mac, if you'd like me to start posting those somewhere. Would have to wait about a week, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

horse mans posted:

I regularly build nightlies of GZDoom for Mac, if you'd like me to start posting those somewhere. Would have to wait about a week, though.

I would love this.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

for shame.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Long live cratemaze.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

They should add the crate to the list of header images permanently.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maybe I'm weird, but my 10 year old in 1993 has some nostalgia related to the cratemaze because I was really scared at that point of the game :kiddo:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How do you move crates and stack them flush to the ceiling without pallets? poo poo makes no sense

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bouchacha posted:

How do you move crates and stack them flush to the ceiling without pallets? poo poo makes no sense

If you had pallets, they obviously wouldn't fit flush to the ceiling. :D

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Woolie Wool posted:

They should add the crate to the list of header images permanently.
It is, actually.

On a related note, Start to Crate's 15th anniversary is almost here!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

Teleporters. Mild side effect of demons though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bouchacha posted:

Berserk mode.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Duke Nukem 3D for the Game.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72P9-6S7qM

Why the gently caress does this unholy abomination against man even EXIST :psyduck:

I got this for christmas when I was a kid and god bless my parents' hearts for getting me what I told them was a rad gift but yeah this thing is an unholy abomination of horse poo poo

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

horse mans posted:

Yeah man fire it up

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

UIApplication posted:

I got this for christmas when I was a kid and god bless my parents' hearts for getting me what I told them was a rad gift but yeah this thing is an unholy abomination of horse poo poo

I got the Atomic Edition of Duke 3D for working really hard on a hand-written report about goddamned cuttlefish of all things.

Still the best thing my parents ever did for me. Or to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bought some games on GOG with mixed results; 2 of them didn't work at all(Shogo, and Unreal Tournament 99), while the other two worked out pretty well(Unreal Tournament 2k4, and the Redneck Rampage collection), which makes me think two things, one is that Redneck Rampage could use a revival cause it's pretty fun, and that it sucks that UT2k4 isn't more active on it's online component

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
UT99 should work if UT2k4 works. Make sure you install one of the updated DX9/OpenGL or DX10 renderers, and install the latest fan patch, and try it again.

If you're just interested in plain Unreal online, there is always the alpha for the new game. It's fairly active, and stable.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Been playing around with Doom Builder on this Joe Ilya tune up project. Had forgotten how bad non orthogonal lines will screw the way a room is built, keep getting slimes popping up. Should have stuck to boxy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Szymanski posted:

Been playing around with Doom Builder on this Joe Ilya tune up project.
god why

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

I can't make it worse

Also I need to finish a map for Ola and Afterglow and maybe this will kick some ideas off

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey, this is like UT's Invasion mode but with Quake! :fap:

Thanks for the find :)

While we're on the subject, anyone else have some great Quake mods to share?

BTW for anyone messing about with jam 5, or Qonquer in general: one of the guys at func_msgboard (Scampie) has provided a tweaked version of the Qonquer mod that speeds up the enemy progression so the waves get more interesting more quickly. It also fixes a bug w/ weapon cycling: http://scampie.net/files/QuickerQonquer.zip

If you want to get the fixed/changed behaviors from that mod into jam 5, all you need is to copy the new progs.dat into your jam 5 folder.

Anyway I'm not a big fan of "monster waves" gameplay either in Unreal or Qonquer, but so far I am liking poking my head into each of the jam 5 maps for a bit. :-) It looks like it's tough to make this sort of gameplay truly interesting given the normal Quake monster AI though. Maybe if you could lock some monsters in place to force them to be snipers (rather than jumping down into a mosh pit) the fights would get hairier. Probably there's some mapping/placement tricks that could force that behavior without requiring more code changes?

I just played Skacky's map (I think?) that opened up different areas (at different elevations) as the waves progressed, and that was neat. It added just that little extra bit to look forward to. Maybe there are others that do this too -- I have yet to play most of them.

As for other mods, here's a few more thoughts about singleplayer mods below. These are all fairly traditional "explore through Quake-y maps" sorts of experiences, as opposed to more radically different stuff like Quake Rally or Kickflip. Although speaking of Kickflip, it did have a new map released for it earlier this year. :-)

=====

So first I'd recommend checking out the latest incarnation of Quoth if you haven't yet: https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/

Quoth has received some fair criticism about its bestiary. That's been addressed to some extent in the latest version though, and in any case it can be fun just to run across monsters in a Quake map that are both different and also have a plausible this-could-belong-in-Quake level of polish.

If you start "New Game" using Quoth, you'll get to play a few remixed versions of classic Quake singleplayer maps, which is something I really enjoy when done well. Nice combo of familiar and surprising. There are also several other custom maps that use Quoth, which you can see by filtering Quaddicted's map list using the quoth keyword. Some that catch my eye there: sock's Metal Monstrosity, skacky's Conference of the Shamblers, and several maps by mfx, than, and necros.

=====

If you like truly giant maps, Rubicon Rumble Pack and Something Wicked both have new enemies and weapons. They require a Quake engine that supports the bsp2 map format -- I'd say to use the latest official version of QuakeSpasm.

=====

sock's In the Shadows is a go at doing stealth gameplay in Quake. It includes a couple more of those classic-remixed maps that I like. You can also run-n-gun through it if you don't buy into the stealth stuff.

sock has intermittently threatened to turn this into a full-fledged game or campaign, which I hope he does someday. But the "sampler" here is still very cool & worth playing.

=====

Travail is an "unofficial mission pack" that includes some new monsters & weapons. For some reason I hadn't played this until very recently... thumbs up though, it's quite good.

=====

I have the impulse to go revisit Malice or Nehahra one day soon, but I don't know how they would hold up. :-)

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I'll vouch for Malice. It's pretty well designed and I enjoyed it a lot, and this is entirely without the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia as I just played it for the first time... last year, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In the opinion of this thread (which, overall, I think is currently my favourite thread I'm subscribed to :allears:), what's the best way for a guy on a mac to play some Quake 1? I have the actual game files, obviously, but it's been a long time since I bothered, and forget what I used to use, but it might not even have been the best way.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Just a couple of days ago I had a friend w/ a Macbook ask me that, and he's now happily playing using QuakeSpasm.

Might as well C&P the relevant part of the email I sent him:

quote:

So the main question is which Quake engine to use. For playing singleplayer stuff on OS X there are two good choices.

1) I'd start by trying QuakeSpasm.

Somewhat confusingly there are two varieties of QuakeSpasm to try -- one is built using the SDL library, and one is built using SDL2. I guess it's good to have both of these available because the SDL2 version may not be completely out of its shakedown phase yet, but if the SDL2 version works on your Mac it's probably the better choice.

Anyway, download links for both of those:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Mac/QuakeSpasm-0.90.0-osx.zip/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/files/Mac/QuakeSpasm-0.90.0-osx-SDL2.zip/download

2) If neither flavor of QuakeSpasm works for you, you could try DarkPlaces. DarkPlaces also might be fun to experiment with if you want more new "special effects".

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/darkplacesengine20140513.zip

If I remember correctly, that download has a lot of Windows and Linux stuff in it as well... you can discard everything except for the DarkPlaces OS X application.

In either case (QuakeSpasm, or DarkPlaces, or some other Quake engine) you just need to put your pak1.pak and pak0.pak files into a subfolder named "id1" so that the application can find them.

With QuakeSpasm, make sure you go into the menus and enable mouselook, since it's not on by default. (Also enable always-run, fiddle with keybindings if you like, etc.)

P.S. if you're interested in multiplayer the answer might be different. That's a whole 'nother post so I'll skip it unless someone wants to get into that.

=====

One more thing.

You won't have the soundtrack unless you put your Quake CD in the drive, and then there still might be issues with the track failing to repeat when it gets to the end... there certainly is that problem on Windows these days, but I have no clue how these programs handle old Redbook CD audio on OS X.

Modern Quake engines can also play the soundtrack from files though (individually ripped CD tracks). DarkPlaces can play OGG files; QuakeSpasm can play OGG and MP3. I set up my friend with the OGG files and he says it's working for him w/ QuakeSpasm.

I'll temporarily put them up for you guys too, here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11690738/temp/quake_soundtrack.zip

That's the main soundtrack in OGG and MP3 form, and the missionpack soundtracks in MP3. These have been "properly" ripped to handle taking care of the pre-emphasized CD audio, unlike a lot (almost all?) of the Quake soundtrack files you'll find floating around the web. It's a minor difference but it's nice to handle it correctly. A lot more Quake soundtrack info here if you like: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

JLaw fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2015

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Malice is real good, just remember to patch it so you'll actually have a critical item in one timed level. Now I'm simultaneously playing through Zerstoerer and Abyss of Pandemonium. Next in queue is probably Nehahra.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I absolutely love the quake machinima 'Seal of Nehahra', I should probably get around to actually playing the Nehahra levels at some point :cheeky:

Anybody who loves FPS who hasn't seen it, you really owe it to yourself. Probably the best machinima I've ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I absolutely love the quake machinima 'Seal of Nehahra', I should probably get around to actually playing the Nehahra levels at some point :cheeky:

Anybody who loves FPS who hasn't seen it, you really owe it to yourself. Probably the best machinima I've ever seen.

I'll check it out, and also, thanks to the goon (edit: Johnny Law!) with the Quake Mac info!

Quake on Mac should just be called Quack.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

From here: http://jnkboy.tumblr.com/post/116239215349/doomguy

So cool :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If anybody's curious, here's what Seal of Nehahra looks/sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwdPOBgKHo

Although its way better when its rendering in real-time on your local machine in nice resolution.
The voices are low quality but the acting is surprisingly decent and the writing is pretty good too.

It retroactively gives Quake a really good back-story. Yeah, Quake always had some story in the manual about Quake's forces, but it was pretty thin at best and kinda a mess.
Seal of Nehahra is like Doom combined with Half-life. And its got some nice drama and humor too.

Oh my god, its Phil.

This is giving me Akira vibes and I LOVE IT.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

This is giving me Akira vibes and I LOVE IT.
Yeah I was getting the same kind of feeling, it's a pretty great piece.

quote:

Oh my god, its Phil.
Phil's accent is some kind of bizarre stereotypical mobster wise-guy kinda of voice that's hilarious to listen to and the fact that he ends up being the protagonist of Quake and not Ranger like you're lead to believe is just kinda even more hilarious

I was actually let down by the mod after watching the machima since apart from the final villain and another boss fight the two barely seemed connected at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elliotw2 posted:

UT99 should work if UT2k4 works. Make sure you install one of the updated DX9/OpenGL or DX10 renderers, and install the latest fan patch, and try it again.

If you're just interested in plain Unreal online, there is always the alpha for the new game. It's fairly active, and stable.

You're probably right, but I'm just going to stick with 2k4 for now(don't got the patience to deal with that sort of fiddling right now)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
One of the worst things about having an HD crash and no backup is having to rebuild your UT99 mod and map collection from memory. :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jblade posted:

Yeah I was getting the same kind of feeling, it's a pretty great piece.

Phil's accent is some kind of bizarre stereotypical mobster wise-guy kinda of voice that's hilarious to listen to and the fact that he ends up being the protagonist of Quake and not Ranger like you're lead to believe is just kinda even more hilarious

Yeah exactly; Phil is like Joe Pesci mixed with a prohibition-era mobster (Nyah, see?) and its pretty hilarious.

Bent is a pretty cool character too but he's the straight-man to Phil's antics. And yeah I love that in the end Phil is the real protagonist.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I need a little help in the AMC level 'For Providence'. I've taken every obvious path as far as it it will go and can't figure out where to go next. The last thing I did was use a cog to unlock "The mines", but I wasn't able to recognize where it was from the cutscene that played and don't have a save that would allow me to watch it again without replaying significant parts of the level. I did a lap around every point of interest in the level and wasn't able to find anything new, so I'm stumped.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lork posted:

I need a little help in the AMC level 'For Providence'. I've taken every obvious path as far as it it will go and can't figure out where to go next. The last thing I did was use a cog to unlock "The mines", but I wasn't able to recognize where it was from the cutscene that played and don't have a save that would allow me to watch it again without replaying significant parts of the level. I did a lap around every point of interest in the level and wasn't able to find anything new, so I'm stumped.

drat, I'm glad you posted this because I'm in the exact same position.

ps: the reason the lever wasn't showing for me in the first mission was because I guess I hit something that reset my renderer mode and it stopped being on Classic. So that's one mystery curse down.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If you're where I think you are, you can kick the door in the next room (adjacent to the moon door, near where you used the cog) open (If you have a melee weapon assigned, do a spin kick by pressing back and then hitting the quick kick key) You can then move the bookcase in the room inside.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

If you're where I think you are, you can kick the door in the next room (adjacent to the moon door, near where you used the cog) open (If you have a melee weapon assigned, do a spin kick by pressing back and then hitting the quick kick key) You can then move the bookcase in the room inside.
Wow, is that really the only way forward? I think I did a lap around that room mashing E at some point, but I guess I missed it the first time due to Build's awful collision detection. I don't think I ever would've thought to try that again in a million years, so uh, I guess it's a good thing that I asked.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

There should be a map marker with a big exclamation point over the door and James should say something about being able to kick the door down when you use it; it can be a fairly daunting map at times though (I'll give you a hint for the next part, in the garage/industrial part opposite the church is a blood sigil that only Sang can use)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

There should be a map marker with a big exclamation point over the door and James should say something about being able to kick the door down when you use it; it can be a fairly daunting map at times though (I'll give you a hint for the next part, in the garage/industrial part opposite the church is a blood sigil that only Sang can use)
The door was obvious, it's the bookcase that I got stuck on. I probed all the walls looking for secrets once, but I never would've thought to try it again, because why on earth would the critical path through a level be behind a completely unmarked fake wall inside what appears to be a secret area?