Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Been slowly working my way through the series (trying not to binge it all at once) and episode 4 and the "proper" introduction of Kingpin is pretty much perfect. It's a perfect build of fear and mystery around the character and you just know eventually you're going to see him lose it and why people are afraid but holy poo poo. The sprinkling of violence is just shocking enough that even with everything you've seen so far the skull crushing with the car is still effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
End of season comic question : Who is Betsy?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
His therapist and future wife.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just finished it. Yeah, awesome show. Definitely one of the best superhero adaptations. I thought the promo shots of the suit looked dumb as hell, but it totally works when you see it on screen.

I also love that they weren't afraid to sprinkle in the mystical elements. Can't wait to see what they do with Bullseye and Elektra. Man, good poo poo. Really excited for Alias now, it's supposed to be coming out this year as well, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Just finished it. Yeah, awesome show. Definitely one of the best superhero adaptations. I thought the promo shots of the suit looked dumb as hell, but it totally works when you see it on screen.

I also love that they weren't afraid to sprinkle in the mystical elements. Can't wait to see what they do with Bullseye and Elektra. Man, good poo poo. Really excited for Alias now, it's supposed to be coming out this year as well, right?

It's shooting right now, so probably late fall/winter premiere, yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Been slowly working my way through the series (trying not to binge it all at once) and episode 4 and the "proper" introduction of Kingpin is pretty much perfect. It's a perfect build of fear and mystery around the character and you just know eventually you're going to see him lose it and why people are afraid but holy poo poo. The sprinkling of violence is just shocking enough that even with everything you've seen so far the skull crushing with the car is still effective

It's also pretty hilarious in ep 5 seeing him trying to excuse himself for that. Like "The Russians are emotional timebombs! Not like me who murdered a man with my bare hands for... um... embarrassing me in front of my sorta-girlfriend."

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Vanessa Fisk might be the most perfecting casting I've seen ever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vanessa has an interesting character in that in the comics, she wanted Wilson to move on from the criminal life and it was her "death" that got Kingpin to being the main villain in Miller's Daredevil. Of course there have been stories since then of her being a very willing accomplice.

I think it'll be interesting if Vanessa has a change of heart if she ever actually sees him murder someone. Because he isn't a cold and calculating killer like say...Bullseye. He is very emotional in his killings in this series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: Wrong thread

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think it'll be interesting if Vanessa has a change of heart if she ever actually sees him murder someone. Because he isn't a cold and calculating killer like say...Bullseye. He is very emotional in his killings in this series.

I completely disagree, I am very happy that they avoided the usual 'She sees the good in him' bullshit and actually made her excited about being with a criminal mastermind. Too many stories try to redeem there their villain by having someone fall in love with them, which always backfires, at least for me, since I find tsomeone willing enjoying luxury paid with blood money to be a very strange concept to build a good person around.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was also refreshing that the villain was the one with a complete love story, and the heroes had other concerns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e X posted:

I completely disagree, I am very happy that they avoided the usual 'She sees the good in him' bullshit and actually made her excited about being with a criminal mastermind. Too many stories try to redeem there their villain by having someone fall in love with them, which always backfires, at least for me, since I find tsomeone willing enjoying luxury paid with blood money to be a very strange concept to build a good person around.

I dunno what the spoiler policy we're operating under is but from later in the series:

When she wakes up from the poisoning and he says "Oh I'm going to destroy whoever did this to you" and she's like "gently caress yeah you are", I thought, this is a very interesting direction to take. They did an extremely good job with the Fisk-Vanessa relationship.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have finished Daredevil and while I overall enjoyed it, I can't shake off some things

- It has the contempt for the genre formalities that seems hopelessly outdated now, with Arrow and Flash swimming deep in the nerd poo poo and big movies finding their lifeblood in the big guns. Hell, it is prime time for campy, bold pulp like Hannibal, Fargo or True Detective, people can handle their crime poo poo being crazy. And while the show keeps Matt in the black costume for 12,5 episodes, doesn't let the story out of the "Daredevil versus CRIME" cage, the producers know that everyone wants to see the loving ninjas, so they already started to set up some ridiculous things that don't work in the chosen snobbish "down to earth" tone. It took half of a season for Arrow to find the middle ground, no excuses for a seemingly "prestige" show.
- Kingpin is so good he should be the protagonist, especially with Daredevil being so underdeveloped. The resolution of their conflict is such undeserved last minute magic bullshit.
- Red ninja fight and DD vs Stick show some promise for actual good fight scenes.
- The tacticool costume is not an improvement over the 2003 one AT ALL.
- No distinctive visual style (outside of the Kingpin episode) and obnoxious, generic score.

The supporting cast is perfect and the writers should absolutely continue placing the bets on them. The willingness to ice prominent characters without remorse is admirable.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You criticism is dumb and bad. This is not a show ashamed of its comic book roots or snobbily down to earth. And the fights have been pretty drat amazing even before ninjas show up.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

greatn posted:

You criticism is dumb and bad. This is not a show ashamed of its comic book roots or snobbily down to earth. And the fights have been pretty drat amazing even before ninjas show up.

If anything, the show looks at "secret ninja clan war" with exactly the same eye that it treats drug-running mobsters (hell, that business where you see them in jail felt
sillier and over-the-top than episode 7).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Nah, I have to partially agree. Not that the show is ashamed of the comic-booky stuff (that vibe I don't get at all), but that it places so little emphasis on it this season in favor of Gritty, Realistic Crime that the few parts that do play up the more fantastic stuff in episodes 7 and 9 feel pretty incongruous.

That's not to say that I'd have been happier had said elements been ignored entirely; to do so wouldn't feel true to the character or this universe. But I do wish DeKnight et al. had either introduced those elements in a more subtle manner a la Madame Gao, or made a more comic-booky, less "realistic" show that placed more emphasis on those elements. (Preferably the latter, especially since it's hard to see how any Daredevil S2 could be made without taking things in a more fantastic direction anyway, given the other Netflix shows and certain plot threads in this one).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The CW did a goofy little video to promo the last few episodes of Arrow and Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE_jH2eQl4

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The CW did a goofy little video to promo the last few episodes of Arrow and Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE_jH2eQl4
Does it have as ridiculous an amount of spoilers as the last Flash preview?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ufarn posted:

Does it have as ridiculous an amount of spoilers as the last Flash preview?

No spoilers at all

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't feature a single second of footage from either show.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh wow, that was pure amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really like the CW-verse's version of Ray Palmer as this big doofy nerd who wants to be a superhero and has no idea what he's doing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Avengers cast reaction when Jimmy Kimmel asked them if they would ever consider being on Agents of Shield while videochatting with Clark Gregg is priceless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsP1gCI5cv0&t=202s

Of course Captain America/Chris Evans would cut through the awkwardness and try to salvage the situation :allears:

[edit] I want to note that I saw this live, and despite having all the loving avengers there, Jimmy Kimmel's interview was god loving awful.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 14, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Didn't RDJ say he was down for a cameo if they could ever work it out way back during the first season?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't RDJ say he was down for a cameo if they could ever work it out way back during the first season?

I'm sure he'd be down for anything for enough millions of dollars

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Can't watch at the moment, why is it so awkward?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

It's not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

e X posted:

Right after Kimmel asks the cast if they would be on AoS, none of them respond while Clark Gregg is on a giant video chat behind them. In the aftermath, you can hear Chris Evans sheepishly say "Good god... I'm glad that happened..." It's more so them kind of making Clark Gregg feel like poo poo in front of an audience.

Haha, it totally is. I felt bad for Clark Gregg.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

If you can't imagine how it would be awkward I don't know what to tell you.

Actually I know exactly what to tell you: everyone looks around for a moment because they can't break Clark Gregg's fragile fanboy heart, then Chris Evans blurts out "I'D LOVE TO BE ON YOUR SHOW!!!" and then the rest of them toss in funny excuses why they haven't done it yet and laugh like they just dodged a Bullet Bill.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The funny thing is that I don't think anyone in the Avengers main cast outside of Hemsworth and Scarlet have been very busy at all. And by busy I mean making multiple "big" movies, etc. Scarlet was also pregnant at some point. But the other three have really not been in very many things, and don't even seem to be slated for much outside of upcoming Marvel films, so that makes it extra awkward, imo, since they can't really claim that they are simply too busy. I feel like Sam Jackson has been as busy as the most busy of them and he's been on the show twice already. Kinda sad.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Here's a link to the playlist for the whole show btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H8hcvNeWtg

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

McSpanky posted:

If you can't imagine how it would be awkward I don't know what to tell you.

Actually I know exactly what to tell you: everyone looks around for a moment because they can't break Clark Gregg's fragile fanboy heart, then Chris Evans blurts out "I'D LOVE TO BE ON YOUR SHOW!!!" and then the rest of them toss in funny excuses why they haven't done it yet and laugh like they just dodged a Bullet Bill.

I can't imagine how it would be awkward because I figured any actor who stared in a major movie has spent enough time with PR to know how to dodge dumb questions from the press while doing promotion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

e X posted:

I can't imagine how it would be awkward because I figured any actor who stared in a major movie has spent enough time with PR to know how to dodge dumb questions from the press while doing promotion.

They didn't dodge it though. You can see it all on Scarlett's face (when you get a chance to watch it). Evans did his best to try and not make it awkward, but RDJ and Ruffalo inadvertently made it worse with their rambling. Even the audience reaction was like a nervous laugh.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And it wasn't a question from the press, it was basically a goony friend asking a clique he hung out with a few times "hay guys wanna come to my place for a sleepover party??"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

The funny thing is that I don't think anyone in the Avengers main cast outside of Hemsworth and Scarlet have been very busy at all. And by busy I mean making multiple "big" movies, etc. Scarlet was also pregnant at some point. But the other three have really not been in very many things, and don't even seem to be slated for much outside of upcoming Marvel films, so that makes it extra awkward, imo, since they can't really claim that they are simply too busy. I feel like Sam Jackson has been as busy as the most busy of them and he's been on the show twice already. Kinda sad.

Renner had 3 decent budget movies between Avengers and AoU (Bourne Legacy, Hansel and Gretel and American Hustle) and has MI:5 coming out.

Ruffalo was just nominated for an oscar for Foxcatcher and was also in Now You See Me (which had a huge budget) and indie darling Begin Again.

Evans is about the only one who didn't really do much between movies but he and Hemsworth are also the only 2 to helm a sequel between A1 and AoU. He's also looking into other aspects of film instead of just on screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hansel and Gretel was made before and shelved for a while I think.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Evans did that ice train movie that got a bunch of buzz and was pretty good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Evans did that ice train movie that got a bunch of buzz and was pretty good.

Snowpiercer wrapped a year month before AoS started shooting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys, it clearly was a loving setup. You really think that was real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, it clearly was a loving setup. You really think that was real?

Yes. If it were a setup, then it fell flat on its face.