Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Daredevil doesn't have any special healing powers though. At least as far as I know. It's more, "Murdock boys know how to take a beating" is more in the sense that his father is really just ascribing their (his and his son's) tenacity and resilience (because Irish-American immigrants) to getting the poo poo beaten out of them and not giving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

And yeah, shakey-cam? Show that guy The Bourne Identity.

This one is the worst in that regard, I've never been as nauseous during a movie before or since.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

Daredevil doesn't have any special healing powers though. At least as far as I know. It's more, "Murdock boys know how to take a beating" is more in the sense that his father is really just ascribing their (his and his son's) tenacity and resilience (because Irish-American immigrants) to getting the poo poo beaten out of them and not giving up.

There's a throwaway line in the Netflix series about how concentration/meditation can hasten the body's healing ability. Not really a superpower, but he's got some mojo in that department.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also this exchange. "you got super senses, you know how to fight, and you can take an incredible amount of pain without too much hassle" and Daredevil goes "the last one's just Catholicism."

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

More than just a single line, the meditation-healing is mentioned a few times through the season. And the actual way it plays out is no different than any other property where the hero is back to 100% in no time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Daredevil employs video game logic, where health steadily regenerates in a short time if you just chill out for a minute.

This is a good thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did he get the healing power from the radioactive spill? Or is that more of a ninja thing.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Did he get the healing power from the radioactive spill? Or is that more of a ninja thing.

Ninja. The chemicals did nothing but blind him. His abilities are inherent, mastery and healing through karateman training.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That rib gash does gently caress him up for a good 3 episodes though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

IRQ posted:

One of the best things about Daredevil so far is that he can get the poo poo kicked out of him, although they lay that on a bit thick with his dad's backstory and he has wolverine-like healing but whatever, it's refreshing to see a fight scene crawl to an end as everyone involved is just completely spent and stumbling around flailing at each other. Most of these superhero shows and movies the main is hardly ever injured and then it's always a major plot point or sparks some crisis of confidence.

And yeah, shakey-cam? Show that guy The Bourne Identity.

There's a great touch in the much-vaunted second episode fight, right at the end where Matt is exhausted and just trips over a guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

After one set of episodes where he takes a pretty thorough beating Fisk and associates mention not having seen him for a while too.

soapgish posted:

Ninja. The chemicals did nothing but blind him. His abilities are inherent, mastery and healing through karateman training.

Yeah, Stick is the one who teaches him the meditation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daredevil would have a much easier time if he bought a few tasers instead of beating every bad guy to a pulp with bare fists.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Aphrodite posted:

After one set of episodes where he takes a pretty thorough beating Fisk and associates mention not having seen him for a while too.

Yeah I was going to mention that I think one of the reasons why it sometimes seemed like he has super healing powers is that the show will skip forward a couple of days without any kind of major notification. A character will just briefly mention something and you'll realize "Oh, it's been like a week," which helps explain stuff like his wounds/bruises/cuts healing seemingly magically. It's easy to miss and get the feeling that the entire show takes place over just a week or two.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My girlfriend watches Law and Order like crazy and she mentioned that it was nice seeing cases from the defendants point of view for a change. We're only a few episodes in though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Daredevil would have a much easier time if he bought a few tasers instead of beating every bad guy to a pulp with bare fists.

Watching superhero shows is basically impossible without turning off your common sense gland's "why the gently caress don't you just get a bunch of guns?" response.

Attn every superhero ever (except Punisher):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

You can't feel their face break with a taser.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Daredevil may accidentally shoot an old person in their pacemaker with a taser.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the comics he uses a modified cane when fighting. It has a grappling hook and he throws it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can name five zombie shows off the top of my head. This is even bigger than the post-Twilight vampire craze (or the post-Buffy one, for that matter)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Zombies, still not as popular as the "angry Brits yelling at hapless Americans" genre.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He has an authentic moral objection to killing people, so unlike a cop he's not willing to use "less lethal" as a fig leaf.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this? posted:

In the comics he uses a modified cane when fighting. It has a grappling hook and he throws it.

Welp I just got to the episode where he got weapons. It's not a huge improvement two sticks?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sir Kodiak posted:

He has an authentic moral objection to killing people, so unlike a cop he's not willing to use "less lethal" as a fig leaf.

Except when he throws a dude off a building and puts him in a coma not knowing he would die or not and the time he causes a guy to be shot by throwing him around which isn't acknowledged, which I get but come on.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Welp I just got to the episode where he got weapons. It's not a huge improvement two sticks?

That's been his traditional weapon since the beginning of the comics.DD is as known for his billy club throwing stunts, as for his fighting skills

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why are there not 100 pages of posts in the GoT thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Maybe because of the leak

Or maybe because the show is bad now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

I loved the premiere but I've been clean from that thread since somewhere last season. I don't even feel tempted anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Everyone who was going to watch it already torrented the leaked episodes and is post in the gbs or spoiler threads so they don't run the risk of getting banned

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Everyone who was going to watch it already torrented the leaked episodes and is post in the gbs or spoiler threads so they don't run the risk of getting banned

I watched them all, but have no desire to goon out over GoT, ever. I will say this, i've had multiple facebook friends who have been vocally anti torrent, ask me for a copy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh the leaked copies aren't HD enough for me. I can wait.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

precision posted:

I can name five zombie shows off the top of my head. This is even bigger than the post-Twilight vampire craze (or the post-Buffy one, for that matter)

Are any of the zombie shows as bad as my favorite bad vampire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRGS0CHQHM

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I have no real ethical problem with watching all the available GoT's at this moment, (I pay for HBO), but somehow, I just don't feel like it and I'll just watch them when they come on. I think that says a lot about my waning excitement for the show, when I read GoT in 1997, and I have signed GRRM copies of art books and other super-fa things from before the show was a glint in the eye. I'm not bragging, I just happened upon the book through the Sci-Fi Fantasy book club (no joke, it was like the cassette tapes clubs of the 80's). I don't know if it's my fault because of my expectations, or theirs because of their implementation. I just somehow don't particularly have the urge to watch them all right now. Okay, :lol: signing off to watch the premiere. Hahahah.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I honestly probably would've watched like 2-3 episodes if they had leaked, but 4 crosses some kind of arbitrary line in my mind where the wait for the 5th episode isn't really worth it. I mean, that's a full month to wait after getting almost half a season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i waited this long and i already knew what happened, so i watched it.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I think you're right. That definitely crossed my mind. I think I thought about it for a second and just blanked out WHY. Yeah, if it was 2, maybe even 3, I would have probably watched them. You're right. But watching a month ahead just has little point. You can't talk to anyone, and you have to wait an entire month for the next one. It's not enough time to forget and want to watch them again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would watch the leaks if they were in HD but they look like 360p YouTube videos.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

smg77 posted:

Are any of the zombie shows as bad as my favorite bad vampire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRGS0CHQHM

That show was amazing as hell, and I would love to know the process that got it made, because V:TM was a niche as hell pnp roleplaying game in the 90s, primarily only among the real weirdos who did larping and got super in to their characters.

This was a Fox show in 1996, the era they went batshit crazy with genre shows to trying and get a break-out hit. That lead to such amazing shows as Profit, Brisco County Jr., and Space Above and Beyond that ended up fizzling with primetime audiences but getting huge cult followings years later.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean Game of Thrones is not a terrible show. It's still appointment watching for me and I won't be watching the leaked copies because I've mostly grown used to watching the show on a per-week basis. And anyways, I think I've been conditioned from the last 4 years to just not participate in any GoT discussion except maybe with some friends because otherwise it is mostly just poo poo because of the Internet re: GoT whether or not it is airing or not.

Also I mean, let's be honest, nothing happens in a GoT premiere to make people lose their poo poo.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I didn't know that GoT were low quality rips. I'll definitely just stick to real time now, unless Ep 3 is some kind of crazy cliffhanger (not that I don't know what happens, but AHHH TV!! ACTORS. AWESOME. YAY!!)

I'm also mainly posting again because I had a question about DVR numbers. I WANT to support the shows I like, but I desperately hate watching the DVR because it's horribly designed, unresponsive, clunky, and all around a pain in the butt, even when I'm paying out the nose for it.

Do they know how many people recorded a show, or how many of those people actually played the show later?
If the first case is true, I should take the time to set up my DVR to record absolutely everything that I'd like to stay on the air? I never watch things in real time, EVER, and files are actually much more convenient and time saving (around 15+ minutes faster for 3), plus easier to watch mobile or in other rooms, particularly if you watch at least 3 shows a day. I don't have a job, so I have the goony time to think about such things.

I hope I'm not crossing any lines about :files:. I'm simply talking about things I'm already paying for. My DVR numbers question still stands, devoid of any context if you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I think at this point the benchmark du jour is Live+7, which is the airing plus people who watched it within a week. I don't think anyone is keeping track of people who have just recorded a show since the whole point of ratings is to tell people who is watching the most ads and where.

• Locked thread