Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Powercrazy posted:

So if you are drunk in your house in Colorado and you own a gun you are breaking the law?
"Close physical possession". As in, you currently have physical control of the firearm.

quote:

As far as federal law is concerned, you are already overtly violating it by consuming a schedule 1 substance, so the firearm isn't really that important.
You said you didn't think there was a law prohibiting the possession of a firearm and using/possessing an illegal substance. I'm just pointing out that there is, specifically, a law about that. Whether or not you think it's "important" isn't really relevant to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Elotana posted:

Also, this puts CO on a pace for about two deaths a year directly attributable to legal pot.

How does this compare to vending machine fatalities?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How are u posted:

My god...it's an epidemic. Mothers, hide your children!

^^^^^
e: Just picked up a bunch of edibles from Washington and there are warning labels -all- over them saying that it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours for the effects to kick in, and be careful about overdosing. The labels are there, but do you expect your average college age male to give a flying gently caress?
Oh. Well, there goes that idea.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Powercrazy posted:

So if you are drunk in your house in Colorado and you own a gun you are breaking the law? I assume a felony? Doesn't that seem like a problem? Surely there is a stipulation like "in a public place", or like Texas "in a place where alcohol is served."

Others have covered it, but using a gun (like that kid did) while drunk or on any other substance is a crime pretty much anywhere. You can get arrested for target shooting after a few beers, for example. This is a good law, in my opinion.

quote:

As far as federal law is concerned, you are already overtly violating it by consuming a schedule 1 substance, so the firearm isn't really that important.

Even at the federal level, a couple grams of pot isn't that big of a deal. But including a gun ramps that up ridiculously, I believe you can get 10-15 years easily for having both in your possession at the same time.

It's really not complicated, put away your guns before using psychoactive substances. The problem here wasn't the marijuana, it was that he introduced a gun into the situation. What kind of moron keeps a loaded gun in his pocket before getting absurdly high?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Others have covered it, but using a gun (like that kid did) while drunk or on any other substance is a crime pretty much anywhere. You can get arrested for target shooting after a few beers, for example. This is a good law, in my opinion.

Not in Virginia, and no it's almost as dumb as prohibition in general.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Series DD Funding posted:

Not in Virginia, and no it's almost as dumb as prohibition in general.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.012

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv168.pdf
(Last paragraph)

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 26, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Still waiting for the day someone with a nut allergy eats a hash brownie (clearly labelled with nut warning) goes into anaphylactic shock and dies.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

That's concealed carry, not possession in general.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's technically illegal to purchase a firearm from a dealer if you even smoke pot, because you have to lie on ATF form 4473:

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Question 11e posted:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Series DD Funding posted:

That's concealed carry, not possession in general.

They might be able to get you for https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-56.1 , but it seems like you're right in general, firing a gun while intoxicated does not appear to be per se illegal in Virginia unless you're hunting. My mistake, I was under the impression it was illegal to operate a gun while drunk pretty much everywhere.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KingEup posted:

Still waiting for the day someone with a nut allergy eats a hash brownie (clearly labelled with nut warning) goes into anaphylactic shock and dies.

Reminder that the DEA frantically tried to warn people that legalization in Colorado could kill your dog, because they might eat your pot brownies and die.

From the chocolate, not the weed, they admitted.

Not at all kidding: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/04/04/dea-administrator-claims-that-marijuana-legalization-imperils-dogs/

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

The gun issue aside, what kind of douchebag takes somebody new to pot to buy a bunch of edibles, lets them take too much, and then just abandons them when they're obviously having a bad reaction?

Not that your first thought should be that he's gonna kill or even physically hurt himself, but still way to look out for your cousin, dude. Hopefully these are the sort of issues we start to see more education around- I mean I doubt any reasonable person would watch a first time drinker pound a bottle of vodka then just leave them passed out somewhere, but stories like these really highlight the lack of comparable understanding of cannabis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reztes posted:

I mean I doubt any reasonable person would watch a first time drinker pound a bottle of vodka then just leave them passed out somewhere, but stories like these really highlight the lack of comparable understanding of cannabis.

Marijuana is just a plant so no one ever needs to worry about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
To be fair if a friend of mine was having a crazy freak out bad trip and I knew he had a gun on him I'd think twice about trying to disarm him. I don't want to get shot.

But i'm not stupid enough to hang out with (much less drink or smoke with) people who carry guns to begin with so :shrug:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My cousin was an alcoholic depressed person who got drunk and hung himself. Alcohol should be illegal!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

computer parts posted:

Grapes, wheat, and potatoes are plants too.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Grapes, wheat, and potatoes are plants too.

Ban jelly, bread, and french fries for making people obese! :v:

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 27, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Reminder that the DEA frantically tried to warn people that legalization in Colorado could kill your dog, because they might eat your pot brownies and die.

From the chocolate, not the weed, they admitted.

Not at all kidding: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/04/04/dea-administrator-claims-that-marijuana-legalization-imperils-dogs/

loving lol. This is why I usually refer to prohibtionists as prohibidiots.

quote:

Summary: Soda pop vending machine tipping continues to be a dangerous behavior that can result in lethal or crippling injuries. This study analyzes 64 cases of injuries secondary to crushing by a soda machine. All were male victims except one. The average age was 19.8 years with a range of 5-39 years. Thirteen victims sustained multiple trauma. Fifteen victims were killed. Increased public awareness coupled with support by the government and private industry has contributed to a sharp reduction in incidence of accidents and improved public safety.http://journals.lww.com/jorthotrauma/abstract/1992/06000/soda_pop_vending_machine_injuries__an_update.9.aspx

Help, I'm trapped underneath a cannabis vending machine!

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY79JCfhjw

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 27, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

computer parts posted:

Obviously this is flawed logic in itself but if you're talking about marijuana kept in plant form and smoked/vaped it's pretty much true. It's pretty hard for someone to inadvertently smoke themselves to the level of intoxification that's possible from eating a massive dose of edibles like this kid did because once you get too high you just won't take another hit.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Kleiman and Sabet in conversation:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkARKleiman/status/581280901453107200

Shitlords. The both of them.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SedanChair posted:

It's technically illegal to purchase a firearm from a dealer if you even smoke pot, because you have to lie on ATF form 4473:

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Wait a minute I can't parse this in a way that allows cigarette smokers to own guns :psyduck:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

Wait a minute I can't parse this in a way that allows cigarette smokers to own guns :psyduck:
The wording implies everything listed falls under the umbrella of controlled substances.

Controlled Substances Act posted:

The term "controlled substance" means a drug or other substance, or immediate precursor, included in schedule I, II, III, IV, or V of part B of this subchapter. The term does not include distilled spirits, wine, malt beverages, or tobacco, as those terms are defined or used in subtitle E of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
DC held its Cannabis Seed Share at an absinthe bar in AdMo yesterday, where somewhere towards a thousand people lined up around the block to each get six free cannabis seeds from the campaign, which is legal under DC law.

I'm only sporadically seeing stats updates, but DC used to average around 400+ marijuana arrests per month, and per the Post in the last month they've had 26 arrests.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its still pretty surreal. I was in Spanaway, WA the other day and there was a dude on the corner waving a sign that was like "Marijuana! $10 a gram! No Rx Needed!" and a sheriff was in front of me and I was just like woah, this is weird.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Reztes posted:

The gun issue aside, what kind of douchebag takes somebody new to pot to buy a bunch of edibles, lets them take too much, and then just abandons them when they're obviously having a bad reaction?
A lot of naive cannabis users traveling to CO use edibles because you can consume them in a hotel room, in a ski lodge, on the street, etc., while with smoking you need a local friend to host.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Being in Alaska, practically everyone I know who smokes weed also owns a firearm so that whole thing makes me :laffo:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reason posted:

Its still pretty surreal. I was in Spanaway, WA the other day and there was a dude on the corner waving a sign that was like "Marijuana! $10 a gram! No Rx Needed!" and a sheriff was in front of me and I was just like woah, this is weird.

I need to drive south, wow. Auburn's prices are terribad.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
North Carolina's medical marijuana bill got shot down, with "it's a schedule I drug" being a big part of the rebuttal. Probably didn't help that all the sponsors were Democrat, making it a partisan issue.

Here's a blurb about it from NC Family Policy Council: http://www.ncfamily.org/alert-marijuana-bill-goes-up-in-smoke/

On a side note, I've yet to see any counterargument to the contention that the word "family" is a red flag for any political organization.

EDIT: In more positive news, Georgia is just about to institute their medical marijuana bill. It's pretty weak though, only allows CBD oil, and only for 9 conditions: Sen. Renee Unterman's Health and Human Services Committee deleted fibromyalgia from the list, leaving seizure disorders, sickle cell anemia, cancer, Crohn's disease, Lou Gehrig's disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), multiple sclerosis, mitochondrial disease and Parkinson's disease.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 28, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm not totally clear as to what Maine has going on. I read one article saying that a RMJ group had submitted its petition and was cleared to start gathering signatures; they need like 63,000 by January 2016 to get on the ballot. But apparently there are two different ballot measure groups, one by the national MPP and one by Legalize Maine, and I'm not clear why they're not just working together on this one. Also, there's a third course: a state legislator is trying to get a commercial legalization bill passed through the legislature. One article specifically mentions that the association of dispensary growers in Maine " hopes Dion's bill will get the question before voters in November." There are a couple ways to read that, but the simplest one appears that the dispensary owners see Dion's bill as more advantageous to them than the initiatives, which makes me initially suspicious. Does Dion's outlaw home growing, or hand current dispensaries a monopoly?

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2015/03/27/maine-marijuana-bill/70548398/

Do we have anyone in the thread working in the ME cannabis politics scene?

In separate weed news, the DCMJ handed out free cannabis seeds to something over 1,000 people. Two separate events, one at the Libertine absinthe bar and one at DCMJ HQ on Embassy Row. Slightly sad news in that DCMJ is going to have to shut down per campaign finance laws in DC, since you can't keep running a campaign more than X many days after it wins, so in the near future expect to see a lot of its people dissolve and reform into a new DC cannabis advocacy group. Eidinger will be back running one or more large headshops in DC, so will be interesting to see how openly pro-weed business groups play a role, given how small a city DC is. I'd imagine that given how small DC is and how much we lack actual heavy or even light industry, retail and hospitality have to be disproportionately powerful business interests, all things being relative. And once we get stores, it is almost a given that cannabis will be literally the largest agricultural sector in the District, since we have almost no commercial agriculture to speak of. It is entirely possible that there is not one single cow in our entire (non)-state.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Dammit Arizona, looks like they may end up with two competing pro-legalization initiatives. Is this going to become "a thing" for a bunch of states in the 2016 run up? http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/03/27/another-pot-legalization-initiative-emerges/70561316/

When there are at least two competing initiatives, it is usually a safe guess that one is more based on a national-level policy organization and its statewide chapters, and one more composed by established marijuana interests already doing business in the state? Is this going to be a huge problem going forward? You can get all :tinfoil: here and wonder if some of these competing initiatives were not made to win, but just to dilute the efforts of an existing initiative that has potential?

In other AZ news, minor blog coverage of a Maricopa County District Attorney's response when a guy stood up at a town hall meeting to say that he's a Vietnam Vet who smokes cannabis:

quote:

“Well, then you’re violating the law, and I have no respect for you,” Montgomery responded.

Montgomery went on to tell Ream that he had “no respect for you as someone that would try to claim you served this country and took an oath to uphold the Constitution and defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic. Because you’re an enemy.”

Montgomery’s comments drew a mix of boos and cheers from the audience at the Pyle Recreation Center in Tempe. A few days later, Montgomery canceled his next debate, scheduled for March 30 in Gilbert.

Read more: http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2015/03/30/montgomery-calls-pot-smoking-veteran-enemy-of-constitution/#ixzz3W4P8QePv

The brief video is worth watching for the sheer sanctimonious nastiness: http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...arijuana-debate

If you needed more convincing that large chunks of AZ suck, the Vavapai County Public Prosecutor is spearheading an anti-legalization movement, and sketchily declared that they'll except funding "from anyone who will contribute". This one seems kinda unseemly to me, that she's leveraging her appointed public position to oppose a political campaign. Maybe it's just my bias from working in the military and in the federal government, where it's very explicitly disallowed to visibly participate in politics, even in your spare time, since it could be seen as tacit endorsement by the Executive Branch. But apparently that's not the case in various states where you have public prosecutors and county sheriffs jumping into the mix.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/03/11/arizona-pot-opponents-organizing-fight-legalization/70165254/

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 1, 2015

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Dammit Arizona, looks like they may end up with two competing pro-legalization initiatives. Is this going to become "a thing" for a bunch of states in the 2016 run up? http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/03/27/another-pot-legalization-initiative-emerges/70561316/

When there are at least two competing initiatives, it is usually a safe guess that one is more based on a national-level policy organization and its statewide chapters, and one more composed by established marijuana interests already doing business in the state? Is this going to be a huge problem going forward? You can get all :tinfoil: here and wonder if some of these competing initiatives were not made to win, but just to dilute the efforts of an existing initiative that has potential?

In other AZ news, minor blog coverage of a Maricopa County District Attorney's response when a guy stood up at a town hall meeting to say that he's a Vietnam Vet who smokes cannabis:

The brief video is worth watching for the sheer sanctimonious nastiness: http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...arijuana-debate

If you needed more convincing that large chunks of AZ suck, the Vavapai County Public Prosecutor is spearheading an anti-legalization movement, and sketchily declared that they'll except funding "from anyone who will contribute". This one seems kinda unseemly to me, that she's leveraging her appointed public position to oppose a political campaign. Maybe it's just my bias from working in the military and in the federal government, where it's very explicitly disallowed to visibly participate in politics, even in your spare time, since it could be seen as tacit endorsement by the Executive Branch. But apparently that's not the case in various states where you have public prosecutors and county sheriffs jumping into the mix.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/03/11/arizona-pot-opponents-organizing-fight-legalization/70165254/

I was there for that debate. I know the attorney in question, Marc Victor. If you search YouTube with his name and the word, "debate," you'll come up with a complete version of the entire event. If I had a beef, I'd probably hire him to represent me. Montgomery is widely liked in conservative circles, and held in contempt elsewhere. He is especially disliked among the weed community for his rabid pursuit of MMJ people and use of questionable legal ploys.

Sheila Polk is the one to watch. Parenthetically, there is no love lost between her and Montgomery due to disagreements that have little bearing on the cannabis question. Polk and her friends have recently established a PAC, presumably to launder the money they expect to collect from Sheldon Adelson for the upcoming campaign.

Yes, there is a lot of poo poo going on in the community about the now two competing measures. The text of neither is available as I write this, but should be soon. The crux of the local controversy has to do with (briefly) those who want to win first but are willing to sacrifice on some points (e.g. growing rights) and those who want to push a more radical agenda (at the extreme: treat pot like tomatoes). The discussion is complicated by the sub rosa nature of the MPP proposition discussion and a perception that some of the existing dispensaries have been actively working both with the MPP to exclude growing rights, and more importantly with the cops to gently caress over black/gray market producers and distributors. Among the local activist community some of the aforementioned dispensary owners are perceived as essentially wealthy carpet baggers who benefit from our hard work getting medical passed here yet have the gall to turn around and back stab us over money.

This poo poo has become very interesting, and not in a good way.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/07/politics/state-house/toke-4-former-sheriff-adds-his-own-plan-to-legalize-pot-in-maine/ posted:

AUGUSTA, Maine — For Rep. Diane Russell, D-Portland, it’s not a matter of if Maine will legalize marijuana for recreational use, but how it will do so.

Also now at stake is whether Maine voters will get to weigh in this year or next.

Russell and Rep. Mark Dion, D-Portland, both have bills before the Legislature that legalize the use and possession of up to one ounce of marijuana by adults 21 years and older. Both say they want their bills to be ratified by voters, but Dion said Monday he hopes to have the issue settled this November, while Russell is aiming for November 2016.

Also hoping to put a marijuana question before voters are two groups that have filed petitions and are working to gather more than 61,000 voter signatures needed to put a measure on the ballot.

In recent days, Russell, Dion and David Boyer, political director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Maine and the manager for the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol, have met to discuss a collaborative effort and a unified approach to get a measure before voters.

Dion, a former Cumberland County sheriff who also served 21 years as a Portland police officer, said Monday that his primary goal is to change the state’s overall drug policies.

“We’ve got to get out of this war mentality,” Dion said, referencing the so-called “War on Drugs.“This is about having a rational drug control policy; let’s put our priorities where they should be on opiates, methamphetamine and the high-risk chemistry that’s out there and let’s regulate those that are more benign and less of a threat, if any, to the public safety,” Dion said.

Dion’s measure, if passed by the Legislature and signed by Republican Gov. Paul LePage, would likely forestall any statewide vote on the issue in 2016.

If lawmakers did put a ballot measure out to voters, it would likely include the details of how Maine would legalize marijuana — that measure would include details such as how many retail facilities would be allowed in the state and also how many facilities would be set up to grow marijuana for the retail market.

The measure would also likely include provisions that would give municipalities the final say on whether they want legal marijuana in their towns or not.

But when voters will have their say on the matter is at least one point Dion and Boyer disagree on.

Boyer said Monday he’s heartened by Dion’s sincerity and also the clout he brings to the conversation as a former law enforcement officer, but his group still feels strongly the ballot question should be during the presidential election year in 2016.

“We can’t wait on the Legislature to pass this, so we want to be prepared for the campaign next year, so we are going to continue with our process and start collecting signatures next month,” Boyer said. “If the Legislature does do something, that would be great and it would be the first time legalization ever passed through a legislature.”

With four proposals out there, including one from the group Legalize Maine, which has already started its signature-gathering campaign, the biggest differences between the bills hinge largely on which entities would gain the best advantage in a new retail marketplace for recreational marijuana. In the case of Dion’s legislation, dispensaries that now sell medical marijuana would stand to gain the most market share.

The proposals offered by Legalize Maine, which is headed by Paul McCarrier, a top lobbyist for the Medical Marijuana Caregivers Association, leans toward giving medical marijuana caregivers, those authorized to grow marijuana for patients, a chance to expand their market into the recreational realm.

The proposals by Dion, Boyer and Russell look to have the state’s Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations regulate the market.

Legalize Maine’s proposal would place that regulation under the Department of Agriculture.

Boyer, Russell and Dion also allow individuals to grow and possess marijuana plants in varying numbers. Dion’s legislation allows individuals to possess up to nine plants, with only three of them in the flowering stage of marijuana production.

The Legalize Maine proposal allows for up to six flowering plants and for an unlimited number of seedlings.

The competing measures also offer a variety of tax rates for those who would buy recreational marijuana. Russell’s proposal sets the steepest overall tax rate at 25 percent, which includes 10 percent excise tax and a 15 percent sales tax on recreational marijuana.

Dion’s measure would set the sales tax at the current state sales tax level plus an additional 10 percent. His proposal would tax recreational marijuana at 15.5 percent. The Legalize Maine proposal sets the sales tax on marijuana at a straight 10 percent.

Dion estimates his tax proposal would raise between $10 million and $12 million a year for the state and wouldn’t create a price structure for marijuana that would see Maine’s black market for pot continue to thrive.

Legalize Maine’s measure would allow for the possession of up to two ounces of marijuana, twice what Russell, Dion and Boyer would allow under their proposals.

Other differences among the proposals include how many retail stores would be allowed at first. Dion believes it should be capped at 20 statewide, while Boyer’s proposal would cap it at 60 with provisions that would allow up to 100 stores statewide by 2020.

The Legalize Maine proposal doesn’t place any caps on the number of stores statewide, and Russell’s proposal limits the maximum number of stores in any one city to four but is based on population.

Russell also said her bill provides for more balance in the new market between caregivers and dispensaries.

If Maine, one of the first states to legalize medical marijuana and decriminalize possessing small amounts, were to legalize recreational marijuana, it would become the fifth state to do so behind Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Also voting to legalize recreational marijuana in 2014 was Washington, D.C.

Russell, who for three lawmaking sessions in a row has led the legislative charge on recreational marijuana, argues that the Legislature, not an outside ballot question committee, should set policy on legalized marijuana.

She’s determined to see a version of her bill get to at least the floor of the House for a vote. A similar proposal she authored in 2013 fell just four votes short of passage in that body.

Russell and Dion agree that Maine lawmakers could craft a law, to be ratified by voters, that can take into consideration the flaws that have developed in other states that have chosen to legalize marijuana.

Russell, like Boyer, said with Dion now at the table offering a fourth choice, lawmakers and voters may be more compelled to hear with an open mind the arguments for legalized marijuana for adults.

“The big take-away is there is so much excitement that we now have all these bills,” Russell said.

Dion said he and Russell intend to hold an informal informational session for lawmakers later this week during an event at the Senator Inn in Augusta, where they will shop their ideas and attempt to gauge support among lawmakers.

While most conservative Republicans and a handful of Democrats will oppose legalization, there are also a number of libertarian-minded Republicans expected to side with Russell and Dion.

Boyer said he expects there to be an intense lobbying effort on behalf of the dispensaries, which are already set up and regulated under Maine law and see themselves as the best option for setting up a statewide recreational marijuana market.

Portland in 2013 overwhelmingly approved an ordinance change making marijuana legal in that city for adults 21 years and older, although state and federal law both still supersede the city ordinance.

Opposition from Maine’s law enforcement community is expected to be strong against legalizing marijuana and at least one statewide group, the Lewiston-based Smart Approaches to Marijuana Maine, will also oppose legalization on the basis it would expand access to the drug for children and teens, exacerbating a drug problem that is already creating widespread problems for education in Maine.

Smart Approaches to Marijuana Maine beat back a push to legalize marijuana for adults in Lewiston when the question went before voters in 2014 as part of a municipal ordinance change. Opposing the ordinance change was Lewiston’s School Committee and the city’s superintendent of schools, Bill Webster.

Scott Gagnon, a spokesman for Smart Approaches to Marijuana in Maine, said it’s clear to him that those in the medical marijuana community are now battling over who would get a leg up in the new recreational market.

“The pot community is splintered between the three plans, all about who would control a market,” Gagnon said in a message to the Sun Journal. The options, as he sees it, are the market will be controlled by either “caregivers, dispensaries or out-of-state corporations.”

This is the full text of the article, sorry for the spam. There was too much I liked to shorten it and I think it addresses some of the previous questions TTFA had WRT Maine.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Yeah, this appears to be getting (internally) nasty in a number of states. It's kinda ridiculous seeing this kind of fighting in states that don't really have much real opposition, they just have violently opposed pro- groups. Off the top of my head, Arizona, Ohio, Maine, and maybe Michigan have some real tangles of different pro-legal folks stomping on each other trying to get their own legislation passed.

A couple states have some "issues" with politicians racing to pass their own stuff before initiatives can. Whether because they want credit for it, or because they think their own legislation will be less radical and more controllable than what initiatives would do. A past example being Florida's Republican severely weaksauce nod to MMJ in desperate attempt to take the wind out of the legalization initiative. Though honestly I don't find politicians trying to out-run initiatives surprising; to the contrary, what I find kinda weird is places like Massachusetts where they're almost inarguably going to have weed on the 2016 ballot, it polls really high, and yet, per one news report, MA legislators have "no appetite" to even touch the issue.

Just as my personal call, I'm kinda in favor of "by whatever means" getting weed legalized. The arrest thing would be one issue, though for me personally decriminalization and movements like wiping past non-violent weed offenses meet that just fine. But even if you have a state where they've done a really good job removing the socio-economic problems of weed criminalization, I'm still overall a supporter of even "meh" legalization steps because each state added gets closer to forcing the federal government to finally just legalize nationally. Yes, it would suck to create an Ohio cartel, but having a swing-state with entrenched marijuana interests would make it that much harder for the feds to hand-wave this away.

Honestly, having gotten over my youthful libertard phase, I'd be okay with states having relatively strict control over sales, such as strong preferences for locally-based companies, companies with a serious claim to cultural/artisanal value, coops and non-profits, etc. And of course I absolutely support allowing home-growth because it's a ridiculous blowjob to industry to not let people grow plants. While I know that a lot of the anti- bullshit about "preventing the next Big Tobacco" is bullshit concern trolling to just slam on the brakes, I agree with some of the core sentiment. Not to get too idealistic, but I'd expect that smaller companies for tobacco/marijuana/alcohol would to some degree ameliorate the sociopathic "let's get sales even if it fucks thousands of people over by horribly manipulating our product" traits of large-scale capitalism.

I'd be 100% fine with strict regulation as to advertising, like only allowing cannabis ads in locations where only potential legal buyers would see them. To quote DJ Quik from the 1990s (about a different drug): "they don't sell dope/ it sells itself".

EDIT: Andy Harris (R-MD), the dickbag who keeps trying to pass legalization, won Washnington City Paper's (main alt-rag) award for "Best Villain" of 2014: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/bestofdc/peopleandplaces/2015/best-villain

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Wouldn't the ease of growing your own weed as opposed to tobacco limit the ability of a BIG WEED to form? Even if some states keep growing illegal I doubt that stops people unless cops ask to see your receipt for that weed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AirCav58 posted:

Wouldn't the ease of growing your own weed as opposed to tobacco limit the ability of a BIG WEED to form? Even if some states keep growing illegal I doubt that stops people unless cops ask to see your receipt for that weed.

No matter how easy it is to make it's not going to be easier than rolling up to a store and buying some, especially if interstate restrictions are removed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AirCav58 posted:

Wouldn't the ease of growing your own weed as opposed to tobacco limit the ability of a BIG WEED to form?

No, but most people have no reason to be upset about BIG WEED in the first place.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

computer parts posted:

No matter how easy it is to make it's not going to be easier than rolling up to a store and buying some, especially if interstate restrictions are removed.

Depends, it could literally be as easy as chucking seeds out your back door. You're not gonna get great weed, but that's pretty easy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Depends, it could literally be as easy as chucking seeds out your back door. You're not gonna get great weed, but that's pretty easy.

There's additional (if minor) processing that has to be done before you can smoke it.

Plus, time is not worthless.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Making a sandwich is incredibly easy and people still flock to Subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
For the majority of people it would be easier to just go to the store, but for rural people cultivating or simply letting it grow wild and then curing it could be easier.

• Locked thread