Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Greninja's counter is better at killing him than it is his enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sakurai's vision is a world where everyone has Shulk's vision
I am guessing the reason playing defensively is usually so advantageous is because none of the devs played the game like that. It was probably an accident, haha.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Whatev posted:

I am guessing the reason playing defensively is usually so advantageous is because none of the devs played the game like that. It was probably an accident, haha.

I'm pretty sure the reason it worked out like that is most of the devs can't play their own game :v:

E: Then again Melee exists so I'm pretty sure at least Sakurai can play his own game and chooses not to/has crippling calcific tendonitis and blames Smash

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 13, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Cause nobody on the development team is a WIMP. Go big or go home.
:colbert:

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

We should play the game as Sakurai truly envisioned it: controlling two characters at once, a controller in each hand.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Whatev posted:

Yeah the game is surprisingly well-balanced for how many characters there are and it holds up really well when everyone is of the mindset that they want to attack and win, no one thought about if you just stood still and waited for openings to come to you. The game plays great if everyone plays it the "right" way but one passive idiot sours the entire tone of every match, every time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

Yeah the game is surprisingly well-balanced for how many characters there are and it holds up really well when everyone is of the mindset that they want to attack and win, no one thought about if you just stood still and waited for openings to come to you.

It would be kind of annoying if their fix to that turned out to be to tighten the time limit on idling

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope none of the third party characters get in smash other than Layton.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I hope none of the third party characters get in smash other than Layton.

I hope everyone gets into Smash Bros.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope everyone gets into Smash Bros.

Keep the undesirables out.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would be kind of annoying if their fix to that turned out to be to tighten the time limit on idling

There are a lot of ways to gently caress it up and I honestly don't have my hopes up for them doing the good thing, but there's still that one ray of hope...

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Gaffle posted:

We should play the game as Sakurai truly envisioned it: controlling two characters at once, a controller in each hand.

I imagine him screaming like an insane person the whole time, every time he does this.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

People should automatically trip if no option is chosen for over two seconds.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Can someone tell me exactly how the ledge mechanics work in Smash 4? I just played a bunch of matches as Falcon against a ZSS, and every single time I went for a spike and missed they would then hit me after I grabbed the ledge and I would ricochet off the side of the stage and die. I know repeated grabs don't have invincibility but I thought the first one does? How does this mechanic work and how do I take advantage of it when trying to kill recovering players?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gaffle posted:

All while simultaneously playing the 3DS version with your feet.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Reiley posted:

Yeah the game is surprisingly well-balanced for how many characters there are and it holds up really well when everyone is of the mindset that they want to attack and win, no one thought about if you just stood still and waited for openings to come to you. The game plays great if everyone plays it the "right" way but one passive idiot sours the entire tone of every match, every time.
It doesn't even end at standing still. Some players are more subtle about it, and will run and jump at you to make it look like they're going to attack. But they won't. They're trying to bait you into making a move so they can punish you for it. You might not even notice, but if you stop taking the bait, they'll just dance around without engaging you. It's fuckin' dumb.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can someone tell me exactly how the ledge mechanics work in Smash 4? I just played a bunch of matches as Falcon against a ZSS, and every single time I went for a spike and missed they would then hit me after I grabbed the ledge and I would ricochet off the side of the stage and die. I know repeated grabs don't have invincibility but I thought the first one does? How does this mechanic work and how do I take advantage of it when trying to kill recovering players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fcTpyxC-M

basically if you touch the ledge, you are invincible. if you go off the ledge, and grab it again without getting hit, or having your feet touch the ground, you are not invincible. also, there is a single frame when you grab the ledge the first time where you are vulnerable, so quick or lingering hitboxes still might hit you. Also, you are only invincible for a couple seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A
this video is good too but a little more advanced

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd try making rolling consume shield as fast as holding shield. Could speed up the game a lot.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fcTpyxC-M

basically if you touch the ledge, you are invincible. if you go off the ledge, and grab it again without getting hit, or having your feet touch the ground, you are not invincible. also, there is a single frame when you grab the ledge the first time where you are vulnerable, so quick or lingering hitboxes still might hit you. Also, you are only invincible for a couple seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A
this video is good too but a little more advanced

Thanks, the second video in particular seems pretty helpful. Done playing for the day but I'll try to implement that stuff next time I play.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Reiley posted:

The game plays great if everyone plays it the "right" way but one passive idiot sours the entire tone of every match, every time.

Just because you don't like people playing uber-defensively doesn't mean that is the "wrong" way to play and by playing offensively you are playing "right." At least, that is a terrible, terrible way to approach any fighting game, by dismissing successful strategies as a fake or cheap way of playing the game. You just can't go in thinking that way. It's like Competitive Video Game Attitude 101.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

nerdbot posted:

Just because you don't like people playing uber-defensively doesn't mean that is the "wrong" way to play and by playing offensively you are playing "right." At least, that is a terrible, terrible way to approach any fighting game, by dismissing successful strategies as a fake or cheap way of playing the game. You just can't go in thinking that way. It's like Competitive Video Game Attitude 101.

The main reason it's the wrong way to play is that it is loving boring to watch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

The main reason it's the wrong way to play is that it is loving boring to watch.

That's Smash's problem, not the player doing it, especially once money gets involved.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't really care about the "cheap" argument since its been done to death but it's pretty loving obvious that gameplay mechanics can encourage different playstyles regardless of the game, and it's dumb to say it's a few bad apples spoiling the bunch instead of a problem with the game's systems

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's Smash's problem, not the player doing it, especially once money gets involved.

No, that's a player problem, if I were running a tournament and saw someone playing like that I'd kick them out and tell them to come back when they can stop being a wimp. :colbert:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

nerdbot posted:

I've made no illusions about not being a big fat Try Hard. Airquotes "right" was in the context of how they theoretically balanced the game. I'm also willing to assume "right" includes a full four players and items, especially Mr. Saturn, considering that;s the only context outside of a specific shieldbreaker move where you will ever see a shield break.

In the context of it being a boring way to play, the hyper-defensive game exploits what seems like an oversight in defensive option balance and forces everyone around the turtle to play accordingly. In a 1v1 the other guy is never going to actually pursue you and usually just chip away at you with projectiles until they can goad you into making yourself vulnerable so you have to play around that knowledge, never really taking advantage of your defensive options yourself and strictly working uphill against their own defenses in a match where the onus is 100% on you not to make any mistakes, because out-of-shield grab is always faster than the recovery frames on every attack option you have. In a 2v2 or 4-player FFA the one dude sits and camps the outside and just runs away every time you get too close becomes a weird priority because if they're not addressed you'll end up killing everyone else and have to fight against multiple stocks of defensive play vs. the guy who kept throwing Thorons into your fights, or turn your back on their partner/the others to try and bring the fight to them before lategame stock disparities come out, and end up getting kicked in the back of the head for your troubles.

It's a stone that ripples and affects all the water around it and it's honestly just a drain to have to deal with whenever someone wheels it out, even if the game allows and rewards them for doing this. It's sort of a selfish playstyle because it denies the other player a whole game, they can never capitalize on it themselves without pulling teeth. When everyone is on the same wavelength and everyone goes ham, this game is literally without peer for how energetic and enjoyable it is. One single party pooper is all it takes to dampen it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

No, that's a player problem, if I were running a tournament and saw someone playing like that I'd kick them out and tell them to come back when they can stop being a wimp. :colbert:

I never play like that and I'd still never touch a tournament you organized if you'd mandate a playstyle

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Maybe... Maybe... Competitive fighting games are stupid.

Maybe all video games are stupid. :aaaaa:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wild Knight posted:

Maybe... Maybe... Competitive fighting games are stupid.

Maybe all video games are stupid. :aaaaa:

maybe youre stupid

maybe we're all stupid

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
awww yiss here we go

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

This Wednesday, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U will be changed - Forever.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They just announced that the kid from Homestuck is gonna be in Smash

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sharrrk posted:

This Wednesday, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U will be changed - Forever.

You mean a week from next Tuesday?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This is it. This is the end. Time to find another thread.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

that's the pleb release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Reiley posted:

They just announced that Strongbad from Homestar Runner is gonna be in Smash

• Locked thread