Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The good news is that my "Start as Shetland, convert to Germanic religion and Hungarian culture, and form a republic game is established.

The bad news is that it's been a trainwreck and it took until 903 from the CM start for me to reform the faith. I needed vassal boats to raid and holy sites for reforming. With Catholic revolts getting ridiculous, I couldn't exactly be orderly about it. :nms:

I also own a little bit of Aquitane, which will eventually become my capital. Such a disaster. That invasion CB should be a big help in getting it cleaned up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I've just had my first experience with the Ilkhanate. gently caress the Ilkhanate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jaramin posted:

Middleages.txt

What broke my balls was me playing as the King of Cornwall, setting up my promising son with a Karling princess that was a 26 diplomacy, 17 intrigue, 17 marshall, 15 stewardship, and 15 learning, I grant him the fief of Devon, sim a year, my King finally dies, and all of a sudden my heir has this gluttonous envious moron with no stats.

I'm like what the hell? I check it, his Karling wife literally died two days before my King died and in those two days my idiot son goes and marries the worst loving courtier possible in all of Britannia. Since I don't reload games I'm sitting here with my stupid new king and his trash wife figuring out how I can somehow produce a good heir or work up enough piety to ask for a divorce while juggling all these diplomatic concerns with vikings running all around me.

It's a pretty fun game.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Your wife's stats won't affect your heir unless you're talking about inheriting a trait like genius. It's only the primary parent whose stats matter: male for patrilineal marriage, female for matrilineal marriage.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tanreall posted:

Your wife's stats won't affect your heir unless you're talking about inheriting a trait like genius. It's only the primary parent whose stats matter: male for patrilineal marriage, female for matrilineal marriage.

That's a good thing to know!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

While playing Lux Invicta's newest update I've stumbled into a problem: The new populist control system of laws is somewhat broken; even if I have the required amount of prestige/authority, I still can't change the laws so that I could develop a Cult of Personality for my populist rulers (i.e Mazdakist, Cathar, Bogomilist, etc.)

How could I fix this?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Doltos posted:

- I spend a lot of time on 3x just waiting for events to happen. Should I be doing other stuff at this time?

No, that's about right. I tend to wage war on 2x speed, but a lot of the time I am between 3x and 4x speed to wait for the next things to happen.

Doltos posted:

- Most of my intrigue is assassinating nearby rulers who have good martial scores. Should I be focusing on inter-realm stuff more, like killing pesky vassals and rival siblings?

Depends. If you are conquering these nearby rulers/are under threat of being conquered by them, then assassinating them is not a bad idea, since new rulers have a short reign opinion penalty, and if they have worse martial stats they likely have less soldiers. But if some powerful vassals lusts for your throne, or a sibling is supported by a faction that wants to install them as the new ruler, killing them can be very beneficial.

Doltos posted:

- I invite a lot of courtiers to my court to try to land high scoring guys for my council. Should I be doing marriages instead to lure people? I also can't figure this out as I buy debutantes to try to lure good courtiers to my court, but they just end up moving to the other guys court and the guy never wants to come over, even at high influence scores.

Only matrilineal marriages will makes these courtiers move to your court, in normal marriages the debutantes will always leave you. But depending on the size of your realm, you don't need to lure them to your court. You can land any courtier in the courts of your vassals without inviting them to your court first.

Doltos posted:

- Everyone in my family always wants a fief to govern but they always end up fighting my heirs for control of the kingdom, or just plain revolt every chance they get. Should I just ignore their requests and give all the extra demense to my heir like I do now?

Landed relatives with claims to your titles are nearly always trouble. But it's still better than landing your heir, who will inevitably pick up bad traits and marry the shittiest women when you no longer control him. If your demesne is too big, land lowborn guys or distant relatives, but don't give land to close dynasty members and especially not to your heir.

Doltos posted:

- Why do my promising betrothals and marriages always end up with the girl dying of pneumonia or having the most gormy face imaginable when they come of age?

ck2.txt

Doltos posted:

- Does fulfilling wishes do more than just increase how much your courtiers like you? I could swear I saw one of them have their diplomacy go up after I fulfilled their request for a marriage.

Yes it does. The become chancellor/marshal/steward/spymaster/court chaplain wish will increase the relevant stat by 1 if they are fulfilled. So someone who wants to become chancellor gets +1 diplomacy if you make him your chancellor. This only works once, so if you fire him and he wants to become chancellor again, he won't get another point of diplomacy.

Doltos posted:

- Is there a guide anywhere that describes how people inherit? I had my daughter married off to the second oldest son of the King of Lotharingia with a matrilineal marriage. I killed the older son and it showed the second son as the heir, but when the king died it went to this random duke in Lotharingia and I have no idea why.

That basically only happens in elective monarchy. Still, the husband of your daughter should have a strong claim to the kingdom. If your daughter is your heir, you can press her husband's claim and hope the lords of Lotharingia will elect her son, or if not then at least you can press her son's claim once he inherits. If she is not your heir and you are an emperor, you can also wait until she gives birth to a son, and later press your grandson's claim to Lotharingia once you son in law is dead.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Since I don't reload games I'm sitting here with my stupid new king and his trash wife figuring out how I can somehow produce a good heir or work up enough piety to ask for a divorce while juggling all these diplomatic concerns with vikings running all around me.

It's a pretty fun game.

Go to your intrigue window and start a plot to assassinate her. She has bad traits so the court should already hate her and probs want in on the plot. Plus, spouse assassination plots usually start with good success anyway. The only things she will really affect are the totals for your court stats, and the minor partner in a relationship only contributes half of their own points to that anyway.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

In my latest game in Poland, I was pretty chuffed when a relative who became the King of France got married to the Empress of Byzantium. But then, things got weird. The Empress converted to Catholicism, became a Cardinal and then the Pope. Now Byzantium is a Catholic theocracy, where each new Emperor becomes a Cardinal, and then assumes the Papacy when the old Pope dies.

Unfortunately the Empress Pope would not grant me any claims despite me seducing her.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Depends on your succession law, but as a general rule you should never ever give land to any son who might inherit later. You'll lose influence over his decisions and by the time he inherits he'll be a Slothful Gluttonous Cruel Kinslayer married to a 54 year old hag and whose only son is already also Slothful, Cruel, Arbitrary and Cynical.

This times a billion. Never ever ever let the heir to your kingdom out of your control.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wait how did you get a female pope? I didn't realize that was possible, did some Catholic heresy take over that allows it?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Another Person posted:

Go to your intrigue window and start a plot to assassinate her. She has bad traits so the court should already hate her and probs want in on the plot. Plus, spouse assassination plots usually start with good success anyway. The only things she will really affect are the totals for your court stats, and the minor partner in a relationship only contributes half of their own points to that anyway.

I assassinated her, killed the queen mother who wasn't related to my heir, imprisoned my half brother and executed him, tried to imprison my half sister but she fled, then just bribed everyone to like me again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

Wait how did you get a female pope? I didn't realize that was possible, did some Catholic heresy take over that allows it?

You can do it through circumstances which allow a woman to get a claim on the papacy, then pressing that claim. It's not super common, but it is possible for it to happen - if you have free investiture you could line someone up to become a priest who already has kids, then that person could potentially later be made a cardinal and elected pope. When they die their kids will get a claim on the Papacy like any other title (even the girls), which you can then press. Although this may have been a bug that was fixed at some point. It would also make all of them antipopes.

...Although actually looking at the scenario described I'm not sure how that happened unless it was some sort of mod, since I don't think even the heresies that use Popes allow female priests, so she couldn't have just become a cardinal like that.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The only Catholic heresy with female priests is Catharism and the only Catholic heresy with a Pope is the Fraticelli, so I guess it must have been a bug.

EDIT: What are some good ways to spread your religion to other countries without conquering them? I'm playing Byzantium in my game and I want to convert some of the Slavic kingdoms to my north.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 9, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IIRC they just fixed a bug where if a Pope died with unborn children his children would get a claim on the papacy and were thus considered antipopes.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Hadaka Apron posted:

The only Catholic heresy with female priests is Catharism and the only Catholic heresy with a Pope is the Fraticelli, so I guess it must have been a bug.

If you stop being Cathar you can demand vassal priests become Catholic, and they will still be eligible for cardinalship.

quote:

EDIT: What are some good ways to spread your religion to other countries without conquering them? I'm playing Byzantium in my game and I want to convert some of the Slavic kingdoms to my north.

If they are unreformed pagans then you can send your court chaplain (only send someone who is expendable), and there is a chance that they will convert to your religion if you holy war them so that they stop being a valid target.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edison was a dick posted:

If they are unreformed pagans then you can send your court chaplain (only send someone who is expendable), and there is a chance that they will convert to your religion if you holy war them so that they stop being a valid target.

Bearing in mind that this fails a LOT more than it succeeds, and even when they are allowed to preach there, they may get imprisoned as soon as they convert anyone, if the person they convert isn't the leader of the kingdom. And even if they do convert the king/queen, said king/queen may not be particularly militant about converting their vassals/family (hell if they were zealous they probably wouldn't have let you preach there in the first place), so it's entirely possible for them to croak with an heir that still follows the old pagan religion, completely negating your effort. Also if the kingdom isn't particularly solid, the religious differences between the leader and their vassals may end up fracturing it (which might be what you want so in this case it's not always bad).

Basically, to really convert a kingdom is a multi-generational affair that's going to burn through a LOT of chaplains and have several false starts.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 9, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just got my first Republic game going, starting as the Count of Dublin.
Finally managed to scrape enough cash together to upgrade my Market Town and form a Republic. Woo.

I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Eh, I'll set some time aside to watch some Youtube videos over the weekend, I think.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can do it through circumstances which allow a woman to get a claim on the papacy, then pressing that claim. It's not super common, but it is possible for it to happen - if you have free investiture you could line someone up to become a priest who already has kids, then that person could potentially later be made a cardinal and elected pope. When they die their kids will get a claim on the Papacy like any other title (even the girls), which you can then press. Although this may have been a bug that was fixed at some point. It would also make all of them antipopes.

...Although actually looking at the scenario described I'm not sure how that happened unless it was some sort of mod, since I don't think even the heresies that use Popes allow female priests, so she couldn't have just become a cardinal like that.

I still have no idea how my female Pope showed up. I'm on vanilla only. No one in her ancestry had ever been Pope, no one pushed an Anti-Pope.

Coward posted:

Oh, goddammit, even the Pope is now a bloody Karling.

Oh, and a King-Bishop I see.

Oh, and... wait a minute...

:stare:

My only theory is that it was solely because she was a Karling.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bearing in mind that this fails a LOT more than it succeeds, and even when they are allowed to preach there, they may get imprisoned as soon as they convert anyone, if the person they convert isn't the leader of the kingdom.

Your only real bet is to find a ruler with the cynical trait, at least in my experience; I've never seen the chaplain accepted unless the guy you're trying to convert is cynical.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Okay, this is nuts.

The youngest son of the Khan of Bulgaria somehow ended up a Count in another kingdom (Volga Bulgaria, which itself Gavelkind-spawned off Cumania a while back). While revolting, he inherited the big Bulgaria, creating a situation I hope the game knows how to handle.

The funny part is, a couple generations back I managed to get a daughter matrilneally married to the Khan's youngest son. She had 6 daughters, no sons before turning 43. :doh:

The other funny part is, the Volga Bulgaria revolt is for the claim of some Count that I also managed to matrilineally marry. And this time he did have sons. Looks like we'll be getting Germanic Volga Bulgaria if this doesn't hilariously derail. I guess that can be a consolation prize for real Bulgaria.

And completely unrelated, I've been trying to unravel the holdings of some vassal megaduke for like 100 years, and now they've switched to Seniority and everything that's split up over the years is re-consolidating. I guess Seniority is like reverse Gavelkind.

Edit: holy crap she had a son at 44. Norse, Germanic, Bulgarian-ruled Constantinople, here we come.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hah! I'm Bulgaring it right now too, cool to read about these alt-Bulgaria mishaps. Now just to get that kid to survive. :v:

What graphical mod are you using? Seems nice, is it Ironman compatible?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's part of HIP (Historical Immersion Project). I'm playing Ironman without achievements (no other mods). However, it's possible that if you only install the UI part of HIP, achievements might still work, I'm not sure.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Playing an early-start game for the first time since the tribalism stuff went in and feel like I'm missing something about transitioning to feudalism. Started as Poland and reformed Slavic paganism (so I took over a huge territory to grab 4 holy sites) and ground out a stone fort in my capital. Transition to feudalism and BAM, everything goes to poo poo because none of the vassals have stone forts to go feudal. Am I really supposed to stay tribal until I grind out enough gold to build stone forts in every county? Because I don't see that happening given the crap taxes I collect as a tribal leader. And raiding doesn't seem like a solution because I don't border any rich non-Slavic counties.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Playing an early-start game for the first time since the tribalism stuff went in and feel like I'm missing something about transitioning to feudalism. Started as Poland and reformed Slavic paganism (so I took over a huge territory to grab 4 holy sites) and ground out a stone fort in my capital. Transition to feudalism and BAM, everything goes to poo poo because none of the vassals have stone forts to go feudal. Am I really supposed to stay tribal until I grind out enough gold to build stone forts in every county? Because I don't see that happening given the crap taxes I collect as a tribal leader. And raiding doesn't seem like a solution because I don't border any rich non-Slavic counties.

You can prepare for it by saving money to upgrade your castle immediately upon switching. You can also have one or two extra counties with a level 4 hillfort that you can upgrade as soon as you adopt feudalism, but this can be tricky due to the slow rate castle infrastructure increases. If you switch capitals at some point it's easy. Just get CI to level 1 in your first capital before you move, and keep it personally. There's also tribal buildings you can buy with prestige that are a big help, as they convert to buildings in your castle once you adopt feudalism. The goal is just to establish enough levy post-feudalism that your tribal vassals don't poo poo too much of a brick, but you may need to consider giving in to a faction demand or two in the early going when you're still weak.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

SurgicalOntologist posted:

It's part of HIP (Historical Immersion Project). I'm playing Ironman without achievements (no other mods). However, it's possible that if you only install the UI part of HIP, achievements might still work, I'm not sure.

Looks like the ARKO UI pack. Does it still make the game chug like a motherfucker?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:suicide:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ck2.png. At least he wasn't Midas Touched.

Are the any hints about the next DLC? I'm really curious what they could do next. The usual suspects are probably theocracies and inland republics, but I somehow doubt that we will get them any time soon. Another geographical expansion seems unlikely, and an even earlier start date will present even bigger problems with feudalism being the main form of government the game engine can handle. And we just had the events DLC.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Playing for stats must suck. I deliberately disinherited my Genius Strong, natural heir, in favor of a Bastard because the Bastard had sons and it seemed like the thing my rear end in a top hat womanizing king would want.

EDIT

That and the other son's daughter and heir married someone else patrileneally so I'd lose the dynasty if I went that way and I told myself "No more elective for at least one playthrough"

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I was just trying out a Muslim vassal game for the first time as the Emir of Zaragoza and wow, it seems like the Muslim clown car hurts Muslim vassals just as much as their christian enemies. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why Muslim empires seem so ridiculously stable. Ambitious Emirs have a really hard time expanding within the realm when everyone down to the lowliest sheik is almost always allied to like at least 3 other Emirs. How is anybody ever supposed to get powerful enough to take on the Sultan like that?

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
Today I got the Kingdom of David achievement (control kingdom of Jerusalem as a Jew, convert county of Jerusalem to Jewish) with the 1066 Khazar start. At the start you have three counties as a young unmarried Jew with no other dynasty members, vassal of a Tengri duke in the Cuman kingdom, and everyone's tribal too. The start gives an interesting challenge: you can't holy war if your liege is different religion than you, everyone holy wars and nobody defends you if you are independent, nobody except other Jews will marry Jews so you can't get claims through marriage, and if you piss of your liege he might revoke your poo poo for free because you are an infidel to him. You also need to do certain timings very carefully (switching from tribal to feudal, who to swear fealty to, when to vie for independence, how to influence the crown laws of your liege).

I had already given up hope about managing to pull the cheevo off this time, but I had an amazing stroke of luck happen.

With about 80 years to go, HRE was controlling Jerusalem and had about 90k to 110k levies (even more with the "defending from foreigners" opinion boost). I had conquered Georgia, been a vassal of Byzantium for a while and taken bites out of Anatolia's dukes through fabricated claims, but now fought myself independent for better holy warring options. I had about 40-50k levies at best, with 15k of the my own demesne.

I saw my chance when the Sunni started a jihad for Jerusalem. I instantly declared holy war on HRE and laid siege with four 2k stacks and let the Muslims do most of my work including shielding me from HRE doomstacks. I managed to end the holy war before the jihad ended (got three counties of a four county duchy). As Jerusalem falls, the Pope instantly declares a crusade to take it back. I too declare war on Seljuks on the spot, and take another three quarters of another duchy. I don't know what happened to the Jerusalem title, but HRE is too weak to participate in the crusade and the guy who carried the most weight in the crusade was some Spanish superduke. I laugh as I push him around in a holy war and take a full duchy off of him.

I swear fealty to Byzantium again to shield myself from crusades (HRE) by having a Christian liege. I get enough claims to get 51% of Anatolia, I form it and fight about five wars to get all the de jure vassals under myself. Then I revoke their poo poo and give it to reliable proper Hebrews. With Georgia, Anatolia and most of Jerusalem under my control I start a faction alone for the empire title (elective succession = every duke and king can do this), the emperor abdicates and glorious Jew Byzantium steamrolls through rest of Jerusalem. Revoking and redistributing the whole European part of Byzantium was a huge pain in the rear end. Pope tries to crusade me but HRE doesn't join it for some reason (I had my chancellor perma--improve relations there) and I laugh as I lay siege to Rome.

tl;dr: Tribal Jew count's dynasty usurps Byzantium and takes most of Jerusalem from the HRE in 15 years.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

super fart shooter posted:

I was just trying out a Muslim vassal game for the first time as the Emir of Zaragoza and wow, it seems like the Muslim clown car hurts Muslim vassals just as much as their christian enemies. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why Muslim empires seem so ridiculously stable. Ambitious Emirs have a really hard time expanding within the realm when everyone down to the lowliest sheik is almost always allied to like at least 3 other Emirs. How is anybody ever supposed to get powerful enough to take on the Sultan like that?

I just finished "The Caliphate Strikes Back" and the key is timing. Empires break up over time. You need to slowly take more and more territory from outside the empire as a vassal, then wait for someone else to start a general independence revolt. Don't get in on it if it's not winnable, and by that I mean, odds are heavily stacked in your favor. If you sit out an independence revolt, and it wins, it's not bad because the main empire is now smaller and weaker, and will become more manageable to revolt against. Even having the best succession plan doesn't mean things won't break apart over time, or fall to Decadence revolts, which a dynasty might just hit a succession of. AI dynasties don't last the test of time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Playing for stats must suck. I deliberately disinherited my Genius Strong, natural heir, in favor of a Bastard because the Bastard had sons and it seemed like the thing my rear end in a top hat womanizing king would want

I just switched away from primogeniture to elective to keep my insane idiot son from inheriting, favoring instead a quick older niece. I feel this is both shameless powergaming and RP.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One of the most enjoyable games I ever had was running Enatic Tanistry while trying to make sure all my dukes were members of my family but running Agnatic Gavelkind. Which meant that the dukes picked the ruler but never could vote for themselves. I also made no effort to influence the outcome other than my single vote. As a result I got an extremely mixed bag of rulers, wives and daughters, and each one jockeying for the position throughout each reign. Sometimes I got a massive overachiever who was totally perfect but just as often I got a dwarf or a lunatic.

Sometimes it's fun to just roll with the people you get. There's a lot of events lunatics get, for example, that you never see if you don't ever play one.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Reveilled posted:

Sometimes it's fun to just roll with the people you get. There's a lot of events lunatics get, for example, that you never see if you don't ever play one.
That's why you always take the Scholarship focus and pick the Necronomicon path. :getin:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's why you always take the Scholarship focus and pick the Necronomicon path. :getin:

I got thru that without going mad or unleashing elder terrors from beyond the veil, 1/10 would not build an observatory again

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I got thru that without going mad or unleashing elder terrors from beyond the veil, 1/10 would not build an observatory again

It's worthwhile for the tech points alone, the lunacy is just a plus. Although sometimes if I feel like pissing off my priest vassals and I plan on converting/committing heresy anyway I'll go with heliocentrism.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Deific Presence posted:

It's worthwhile for the tech points alone, the lunacy is just a plus. Although sometimes if I feel like pissing off my priest vassals and I plan on converting/committing heresy anyway I'll go with heliocentrism.

Yeah it had some good rewards, like + 40 or something to cultural tech every time it popped? I didn't realize the other path was heliocentric model, that owns much harder than a pretend book by a superracist

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah it had some good rewards, like + 40 or something to cultural tech every time it popped? I didn't realize the other path was heliocentric model, that owns much harder than a pretend book by a superracist

The Necronomicon path gives you 30 Cultural with the first event and (IIRC) 200 plus a permanent -1 Dip +2 Lrn when you discover the Necronomicon, but if you take the book you can go mad and there's a small chance you'll die. Heliocentrism gives you 100 Military twice but pisses off all churchmen if you take the second pop. Which one you take depends what you need. If you're pumping Mil Org then you'll probably take heliocentrism, but if you need that extra level of Legalism it's worth taking Necronomicon - especially if you have a couple of generations of heirs ready, because you can pull it off two or three times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

The Necronomicon path gives you 30 Cultural with the first event and (IIRC) 200 plus a permanent -1 Dip +2 Lrn when you discover the Necronomicon, but if you take the book you can go mad and there's a small chance you'll die. Heliocentrism gives you 100 Military twice but pisses off all churchmen if you take the second pop. Which one you take depends what you need. If you're pumping Mil Org then you'll probably take heliocentrism, but if you need that extra level of Legalism it's worth taking Necronomicon - especially if you have a couple of generations of heirs ready, because you can pull it off two or three times in a row.

Is someone stealing the book from the library the only event that can happen after your character and diet? That's just disappointing, it be cool if your hair could find the book and plum its mysteries.

• Locked thread