Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I need a Setzer coat. I have 20k MGP. I haven't touched Chocobo racing, and barely have played Triad. How should I make 80K MGP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

nuru posted:

I need a Setzer coat. I have 20k MGP. I haven't touched Chocobo racing, and barely have played Triad. How should I make 80K MGP?

Either start playing cards or hope you get lucky with the lottery.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'd never really thought of the Hyur Warrior as the canon PC in all these cinematics, but now that I see it in the new one I really appreciate that take on it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Generic Hyur is the hero we deserve.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Heavensward Scion Spoilers: Thancred isn't dead, his VA talks about being very happy with his scenes in Heavensward in a podcast interview.

I still think Minfilia and Thancred's characters should've been combined. I base this off concept art of her in the big art book that gives her a very "Arabian Nights" roguish kind of look. Very Ul'dahn, and very swashbuckling.

If our introduction to Minfilia in ARR had been an echo flashback of her strolling down the street with an elf and catboy in hand, she'dve been solid gold from the start. And make the constant linkpearl calls to our character outright flirting.

And then, in Heavensward, make her the Machinist trainer so we pretty much end up with Girl Edgar. Which would have been just fine.

Fister Roboto posted:

Generic Hyur is the hero we deserve.

This but unironically. They make him so expressive in those cinematics, he's pretty much the perfect player stand-in.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mazed posted:

Heavensward Scion Spoilers: Thancred isn't dead, his VA talks about being very happy with his scenes in Heavensward in a podcast interview.

While I am pretty sure you are right, he could always be voice-acting someone else.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mazed posted:

Very Ul'dahn, and very swashbuckling.

Well, she just needs some added Swashing. She's got buckles for days.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

I've mostly just been playing the lottery and doing the Mini Cactpot since it came out, and I'm up to about 55k MGP. I've only ever gotten two 10,000 payouts, though, so your mileage will vary depending on how lucky you get.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mazed posted:

This but unironically. They make him so expressive in those cinematics, he's pretty much the perfect player stand-in.

Whenever I watch one of the big cinematics or a new one comes out, I'm always powerfully tempted to go back to my original Midlander lady over my Lalafell. Really the only things stopping me at this point are the Lalafell animations being better generally (in-game, the Lalafells manage to be as expressive as the CGLander is in the movies, while actual Midlanders struggle a bit and their emotes are a bit :geno:), and Lalafells having access to what's basically my favorite voice set in the entire game.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Lalafell /deny is fantastic.

syrairc
Sep 13, 2006
wait what

syrairc posted:

The hydra step requires me to have it equipped it seems? Because I did hydra and nothing happened. :(

I am dumb. There is a separate armoury inventory for equipment. :v: It has been way too long since I played.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mazed posted:

I've been a fan of his since the Calamity video where he just looks up and gulps. It perfectly conveys his thoughts ("Holy poo poo I am not geared for this raid") with just a couple of frames of animation. SE's CGI guys are really good.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I wish they would bring back the other party members. I miss snooty elf and jerk catgirl and we only get a couple quick shots of them during End of an Era.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rei_ posted:

GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE LOLORITO GET TORN IN HALF BY A ONE-ARMED MAN

As I said before, Cid's going to make craft him a replacement. They can rebuild him. They have the technology. :science:

Thundarr posted:

Guts Raubahn confirmed as Dark Knight job master.

I meant that jokingly but now I legit want this to happen.

YoshiP and others have made it pretty clear that Guts is one of the (major?) influences for the Dark Knight job. If there isn't a Dragonslayer greatsword (in appearance if not name) I'll be shocked and disappointed.

Periodiko posted:

I hope not, the Scions are the worst. I was so psyched for their last stands, and the idea that I wouldn't have to deal with those guys in the expansion. Just make Hoary Boulder the head of the Scions or something. And Y'shtola can escape too, she's okay.

As good as the story has been I have had one issue with it and it's that the writers can't make something not just be very obvious from the get-go. Was an'y actually surprised that Ilberd was a traitor? The first time you meet him he pretty much glows with an aura of "I'm going to stab you in the back" and if that intentional it's even worse because it lessens the impact. Sultana death seemed really likely due to the heavy focus on her and the only things that were really surprising were the ones from out of left field, like Urianger meeting with the Ascians, though it seems less of a "yes master?" meeting and a "alright what the gently caress do you want?" meeting.

I wish they were all dead because they're largely useless but they won't be dead since the FF14 crossover character is a Scion. :sigh:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I wish they would bring back the other party members. I miss snooty elf and jerk catgirl and we only get a couple quick shots of them during End of an Era.

Who are these now?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was always frustrated that all the White Mage lalafell does in the opening cinematic is cast a spell with no real interesting visual effects, and then look scared and worried as the Warrior runs off. Like, this was your chance to make healers look badass and fun to play SE, and you make them even more passive than usual. At the very least she could have looked psyched as hell and cheered as the guy ran away, no one wants to play as "scared background character."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

As good as the story has been I have had one issue with it and it's that the writers can't make something not just be very obvious from the get-go. Was an'y actually surprised that Ilberd was a traitor? The first time you meet him he pretty much glows with an aura of "I'm going to stab you in the back" and if that intentional it's even worse because it lessens the impact. Sultana death seemed really likely due to the heavy focus on her and the only things that were really surprising were the ones from out of left field, like Urianger meeting with the Ascians, though it seems less of a "yes master?" meeting and a "alright what the gently caress do you want?" meeting.

Main story spoilers: I expected him to be but when the spy plotline was resolved with someone else I kinda forgot about him

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 12, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

kafziel posted:

Who are these now?

They were originally in the 1.0 opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2cRTU-Og8

In End of an Era, the Elezen is the Black Mage and the Mi'qote is the Bard.

Countblanc posted:

I was always frustrated that all the White Mage lalafell does in the opening cinematic is cast a spell with no real interesting visual effects, and then look scared and worried as the Warrior runs off. Like, this was your chance to make healers look badass and fun to play SE, and you make them even more passive than usual. At the very least she could have looked psyched as hell and cheered as the guy ran away, no one wants to play as "scared background character."

Funnily enough she's much cooler looking the 1.0 opening!

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

That intro video makes no sense and somehow managed to be boring as hell

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

ffxiv v 1.0.txt

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rei_ posted:

That intro is actually exactly how Echo worked in 1.0 - you were actually playing through it and it got amazingly confusing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

After watching the informative but amusingly accented lore video with that elf guy posted a few pages back I rediscovered my favorite FFXIV lore vide (probably old news to many, oh well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ld57RYkAWA

and also these little facts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1uNNWynrc
Is that little bit about the chocobo true? I gotta check it out.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oh no I'm about to be captured and sacrificed to the demon Ifrit! I better... Return and grind Alchemist until the duty finder pops. :geno: Definitely enjoying the setting and story so far, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey, they justify that! One of your fellow prisoners says there's a hole you can sneak out through, and escape to bring back help.

...you just got a little distracted along the way, ok?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

hey if you want to keep that poo poo canon you're more than welcome to sit in that loving hole into your queue pops

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rei_ posted:

hey if you want to keep that poo poo canon you're more than welcome to sit in that loving hole into your queue pops

Still doesn't explain why they left me all my gear :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tank queues canonically make for better heroics

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

vOv posted:

Because why go to the bother of stripping you down to get tempered just so you can suit right back up again in Ifrit's service?

If we were pretty much anyone else in the world, it wouldn't have mattered.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

vOv posted:

JRPG jail.

That's all the explanation you need.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

All of your stuff should have been in a conveniently placed box right outside a secret exit

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I really like Louisoix ripping Bahamut's heart out but haven't then done that exact cutscene three times now? Once in Advent Children, once in FFXIII-2 and now again?

They are getting better each time, though.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Evil Fluffy posted:

As good as the story has been I have had one issue with it and it's that the writers can't make something not just be very obvious from the get-go. Was an'y actually surprised that Ilberd was a traitor?

I wasn't surprised by that; I was mainly surprised how Ilberd's treachery comes from such a personal, spiteful place. I thought the reveal would be that Ilberd had been bribed or blackmailed into it by either Garlemald or the Monetarists, but no, he outright loathes Raubahn for going soft, forgetting Ala Mihgo and doting on the Sultana, and took a real joy in betraying him.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Chairman posted:

I wasn't surprised by that; I was mainly surprised how Ilberd's treachery comes from such a personal, spiteful place. I thought the reveal would be that Ilberd had been bribed or blackmailed into it by either Garlemald or the Monetarists, but no, he outright loathes Raubahn for going soft, forgetting Ala Mihgo and doting on the Sultana, and took a real joy in betraying him.

On Ilberd. I liked this angle, a lot. It doesn't redeem his actions to any extent, but it adds a level of pathos that elevates him as a worthwhile villain. Guy was pissed, and in retrospect adds an element of "you have no idea how hard I'm trying not to punch you" in that earlier scene where he and Raubahn are greeting each other as old pals.

Another thing: What does the "you abandoned Ala Mhigo" sentiment imply about Ilberd's arrangement with Lolorito, who up to now has been denying aid to the refugees with every turn? Alliance of convenience, "I help you out if it means getting to kick the poo poo out of this one guy I hate", or could Lolorito finally have agreed to arrange aid -- maybe assigning the newly-obtained Crystal Braves to that end? It feels kind of reaching, yet it would add some layers.

Altogether, with regards to bad guys: Holy poo poo am I glad that they killed off the utterly ridiculous Adeledji. We've actually got a decent story going here and didn't need someone that moronically two-dimensional dragging things down. And oh, what a wonderful way to see him off. Raubahn may have lost the fight, but he still won the cutscene. :black101:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Going in to heavensward, especially in regards to Dark Knight, I for one really hope they go all out with the Berserk references and Raubahn is our new Dark Knight buddy and it's some Ala Mhigan style of combat. From what we know of Ala Mhigo, it wouldn't exactly be out of place.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mazed posted:

On Ilberd. I liked this angle, a lot. It doesn't redeem his actions to any extent, but it adds a level of pathos that elevates him as a worthwhile villain. Guy was pissed, and in retrospect adds an element of "you have no idea how hard I'm trying not to punch you" in that earlier scene where he and Raubahn are greeting each other as old pals.

Yeah, it's funny: I originally thought some of the awkwardness I noticed in 2.3 was just due to perhaps a little spotty voicework and slightly odd camera-work. I should've known to give Richard Epcar and the cinematic team more credit than that. It looks awkward because it is awkward; Ilberd is trying to put on a friendly face, but he's really having to bite back the urge to just go to town on Raubahn right there and then.

quote:

Another thing: What does the "you abandoned Ala Mhigo" sentiment imply about Ilberd's arrangement with Lolorito, who up to now has been denying aid to the refugees with every turn? Alliance of convenience, "I help you out if it means getting to kick the poo poo out of this one guy I hate", or could Lolorito finally have agreed to arrange aid -- maybe assigning the newly-obtained Crystal Braves to that end? It feels kind of reaching, yet it would add some layers.

Actually, it's pretty simple and I was just thinking about this: Lolorito wants the refugees out and dealt with; he made that clear in 2.2. Ilberd wants his country back. Both want the Garleans to not threaten Eorzea and are likely looking for a force that is proven against the Garleans.

Oh. Right.

Basically what I think the set-up is going to be is a three-way pact between Monetarist Ul'dah, the Ala Mhigan refugees that Ilberd can call to his banner, and Dravania. The former two help undermine Ishgard and help Dravania ultimately destroy it; in return, the Dravanians agree to fight the Garleans not only if they try to go deep into Eorzea but if they ever even try to cross the land-bridge again, and they help take back Ala Mhigo. Ilberd and the rest of the Mhigans get their country back, and what does Lolorito get? An allied army of dragons to keep Garlemald at a comfortable distance, and a sympathetic government in Ala Mhigo who owes Ul'dah everything. It's wins all around and accomplishes most of Lolorito's strategic goals for Ul'dah.

It does likely leave Ul'dah in a position of antagonism against Gridania and Limsa, but I think Lolorito wrote both of those states off as soon as he got wind of Nanamo meeting with Kan-e and Merlwyb (and you know he must have). They were never fans of the Monetarists to begin with, and so he knows it'll probably come to some fighting to at least pacify those two states as well; hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an Eorzean version of :godwin: Molotov–Ribbentrop currently under the table, wherein Dravania gets all of Coerthas with guarantees that "spoken" will not try to re-settle it, Ala Mhigo finally gets the Twelveswood out of revenge for the Autumn War (which, in a sense, kind of "started" this whole mess) and thus gets to put a lot of little horned not-kids to the sword, and Ul'dah gets Vylbrand and a chance to finally put a real end to the piracy that's been bleeding Monetarist shipping for decades on end.

Basically, while it'll involve a fair bit of conflict in the short term, in the end it gets Lolorito what he wants: sympathetic governments on his borders and security against powers outside of Eorzea. It's his version of the Eorzean Alliance, just one with a more cynical, looking-out-for-number-one realpolitik bent.

Which makes it a perfect opponent for a newly-revitalized Eorzean Alliance that's got Ishgard back in the fold at last, Kan-e and Merlwyb united more than ever, and has what is now the Republic-of-Ul'dah-In-Exile burning for vengeance.

What I'm saying is, while I had some beef with the details of the actual execution of the finale in-game, if that trailer is telling the truth at all, this expansion is gonna own, and we might have some seriously compelling villains on our hands this time.

The timg doesn't work in the spoiler tags but whatevs :v:

Intoluene posted:

Going in to heavensward, especially in regards to Dark Knight, I for one really hope they go all out with the Berserk references and Raubahn is our new Dark Knight buddy and it's some Ala Mhigan style of combat. From what we know of Ala Mhigo, it wouldn't exactly be out of place.

Like I said a page or two back, if anything, it is now looking extremely likely Dark Knight is Ala Mhigan in origin. It wasn't just Raubahn, Ilberd was fighting suspiciously like a DRK in their duel, straight down to using a move that, if it wasn't Darkness Wave, was near as dammit.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

Like I said a page or two back, if anything, it is now looking extremely likely Dark Knight is Ala Mhigan in origin. It wasn't just Raubahn, Ilberd was fighting suspiciously like a DRK in their duel, straight down to using a move that, if it wasn't Darkness Wave, was near as dammit.

Yeah, I didn't think much of it at the time but if that wasn't darkness wave, I don't know what it was.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SpaceDrake posted:

Excellent Plot Speculation

I agree with all of this and the only thing I am not happy about is that we are very likely going to get this excellent plotline of shifting alliances, political intrigue, and interesting villains; but before it's over it will be hijacked, again, by the loving Ascians and their generic Light vs Dark nonsense.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
And here I was thinking it was going to be Nero, after being nearly killed by darkness corrupting him in WoD, that would be the DRK trainer.

Unless Nero is the one that breaks Raubaun out of prison and tells him "You want to get back at those who did this to you? I have a power and I can show you.. for a price."

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Mewnie posted:

And here I was thinking it was going to be Nero, after being nearly killed by darkness corrupting him in WoD, that would be the DRK trainer.

Unless Nero is the one that breaks Raubaun out of prison and tells him "You want to get back at those who did this to you? I have a power and I can show you.. for a price."

Heh. Would doubly explain a turn to Dark Knight and the origin of a cybernetic Magitek arm. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Actually, it's pretty simple and I was just thinking about this: Lolorito wants the refugees out and dealt with; he made that clear in 2.2. Ilberd wants his country back. Both want the Garleans to not threaten Eorzea and are likely looking for a force that is proven against the Garleans.

Oh. Right.

Basically what I think the set-up is going to be is a three-way pact between Monetarist Ul'dah, the Ala Mhigan refugees that Ilberd can call to his banner, and Dravania. The former two help undermine Ishgard and help Dravania ultimately destroy it; in return, the Dravanians agree to fight the Garleans not only if they try to go deep into Eorzea but if they ever even try to cross the land-bridge again, and they help take back Ala Mhigo. Ilberd and the rest of the Mhigans get their country back, and what does Lolorito get? An allied army of dragons to keep Garlemald at a comfortable distance, and a sympathetic government in Ala Mhigo who owes Ul'dah everything. It's wins all around and accomplishes most of Lolorito's strategic goals for Ul'dah.

It does likely leave Ul'dah in a position of antagonism against Gridania and Limsa, but I think Lolorito wrote both of those states off as soon as he got wind of Nanamo meeting with Kan-e and Merlwyb (and you know he must have). They were never fans of the Monetarists to begin with, and so he knows it'll probably come to some fighting to at least pacify those two states as well; hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an Eorzean version of :godwin: Molotov–Ribbentrop currently under the table, wherein Dravania gets all of Coerthas with guarantees that "spoken" will not try to re-settle it, Ala Mhigo finally gets the Twelveswood out of revenge for the Autumn War (which, in a sense, kind of "started" this whole mess) and thus gets to put a lot of little horned not-kids to the sword, and Ul'dah gets Vylbrand and a chance to finally put a real end to the piracy that's been bleeding Monetarist shipping for decades on end.

Basically, while it'll involve a fair bit of conflict in the short term, in the end it gets Lolorito what he wants: sympathetic governments on his borders and security against powers outside of Eorzea. It's his version of the Eorzean Alliance, just one with a more cynical, looking-out-for-number-one realpolitik bent.

Which makes it a perfect opponent for a newly-revitalized Eorzean Alliance that's got Ishgard back in the fold at last, Kan-e and Merlwyb united more than ever, and has what is now the Republic-of-Ul'dah-In-Exile burning for vengeance.

What I'm saying is, while I had some beef with the details of the actual execution of the finale in-game, if that trailer is telling the truth at all, this expansion is gonna own, and we might have some seriously compelling villains on our hands this time.

I'm gonna be real sad when this doesn't happen

• Locked thread