Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This show is great! Phil is a fuckhead but it's pretty understandable why and some of you seem to be going to great lengths to not understand it, we get it you're totally not like this at all and frankly it's DISGUSTING anyone would ever blah blah blah ;) real subtle guys no one sees through this poo poo at all no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

whatever7 posted:

He still need to grow the beard back for me to watch a straight up season 2 harem show.

Well, he was on @midnight the other night, and did seem to be growing the beard once more.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Are they ever going to explain what the gently caress happened to everyone?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AirCav58 posted:

Are they ever going to explain what the gently caress happened to everyone?

They died.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Oh that explains everything
E:Why did will and Todd and the ladies not died?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AirCav58 posted:

Because then there wouldn't be a show. Duh.:c00lbutt:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I personally hope they stick with not explaining why he's the last man on earth. There's plenty of shows out there about post-virus/zombie worlds, it's kind of a nice change of pace.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AirCav58 posted:

They won't explain it, because it doesn't matter.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AirCav58 posted:

Because they didn't anger god.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Turns out it's actually set in the same universe as The Stand.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mastajake posted:

Turns out it's actually set in the same universe as The Stand.

That would be amazing. The good people went to Boulder, the bad people went to Las Vegas, and the morons went to Tuscon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

That would be amazing. The good people went to Boulder, the bad people went to Las Vegas, and the morons went to Tuscon.

Oh my god I get it, humanity never changes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is still a really great show but those last two episodes were not good at all. New Episodes tonight though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Still baffled as to why we're so supposed to care about Phil and Carol's shotgun wedding. There's no love there, why are we supposed to think of it as a sacred thing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how I feel about this episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope that Phil is the one that caused everyone to die.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
"I was so glad. Hot older lady, black girl."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
God drat it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really want to like this show, I really do, but man they are trying their hardest to make Phil a character I would rather see off the show.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Phil strikes out again.
e:

swickles posted:

I really want to like this show, I really do, but man they are trying their hardest to make Phil a character I would rather see off the show.

I think that's a thing they're trying to do. Without him, there's no real drama because everyone's really glad to be with each other, so they need an antagonist who's not outright malicious, but in it for himself even at the end of the world.
Or they might be trying to say that even at the end of the world, people don't change.

E2:
drat Carol, that's cold

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 13, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Man that was UK Office levels of awkwardness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It'd be pretty funny if the only people who went to Tuscon were the individuals who had no other option then live alone, and all the groups of people congregated around major urban centers because they didn't trust the "come to Tuscon" signs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pentyne posted:

It'd be pretty funny if the only people who went to Tuscon were the individuals who had no other option then live alone, and all the groups of people congregated around major urban centers because they didn't trust the "come to Tuscon" signs.

And in one episode, someone will come in from off-camera and say "did anyone see that really bright flash to the northwest?"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Just finished the second episode. Totally on board now. Got a little rough there for an episode or two but I love the turn of him coming clean and the divorce.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

Just finished the second episode. Totally on board now. Got a little rough there for an episode or two but I love the turn of him coming clean and the divorce.

Yeah, it definitely addressed my two biggest issues with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like the next episode should be somewhat decent.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The second episode tonight will hopefully quell the problems people see with Phil. I thought it was great he had an epiphany and him and Carol finally had time to talk about his assholishness.

The next episode looks pretty promising.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I'm still enjoying the show. Hopefully, though, Phil's cartoonish ridiculousness will have ended like his marriage did, and we can enjoy him being askew with just a regular amount of ridiculousness.

I did like how Todd said that he never believed that Phil had co-written that song with Sting or whoever. Somehow, I doubt he was being honest. (The fats do play loose with the truth!)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

tarlibone posted:

I did like how Todd said that he never believed that Phil had co-written that song with Sting or whoever. Somehow, I doubt he was being honest. (The fats do play loose with the truth!)

It was "Fields of Gold" by Sting, but yes, I loved that line, too. Todd genuinely knew Phil didn't co-write the song, but he wanted to be nice about it and save face.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I'm still enjoying the show. Hopefully, though, Phil's cartoonish ridiculousness will have ended like his marriage did, and we can enjoy him being askew with just a regular amount of ridiculousness.

I think the last 3 episodes are going to be hilarious because Phil no longer has to pretend to be married/in live with Carol so now she's the unhinged one while Phil is finally free to be completely open and honest with the other women. There is clearly going to be a new arrival before the finale that will gently caress the entire situation up, probably a new male character.

I'd love for some completely jacked male model-esque guy to show up and make Phil and Todd freak out and team up together only for them to find out right at the end of the episode that new guy is 100% gay.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The second episode was really good and has got me back into wanting to see more. That first episode was brutal, but I am glad that Phil's terribleness chickens finally came home to roost. Hopefully, Phil acting like a non autistic version of Chris-Chan is over.

Next episode sounds interesting. My guess is he is probably still going to be a pariah in the community.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pentyne posted:

I think the last 3 episodes are going to be hilarious because Phil no longer has to pretend to be married/in live with Carol so now she's the unhinged one while Phil is finally free to be completely open and honest with the other women. There is clearly going to be a new arrival before the finale that will gently caress the entire situation up, probably a new male character.

I'd love for some completely jacked male model-esque guy to show up and make Phil and Todd freak out and team up together only for them to find out right at the end of the episode that new guy is 100% gay.

Then we shall be one step closer to Post Apocalyptic Sex House.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Can't wait to see how Phil blows his chances with two new women. Pretty amazing he gets a shot at all, but I guess they haven't seen him be a crazy liar for as long as the rest. It's too bad he went for the do over, he probably could have gotten a divorce from Carol before too long and then gone after one or both of the new women. Phil just needs to be neutral and not do crazy poo poo when new people arrive, clearly if he waits it out more women will keep showing up. Though I admit, my first thought when he saw the newcomers was that he should go all-in and immediately suggest they leave Tucson together, just vanish from Carol and the rest completely while out on a toilet paper run.

My favorite thing from the latest two episodes is Phil moving a towel over his lap when the new women reveal they've basically been lesbians since they met. It's a juvenile joke, but the execution was just perfect.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

PittTheElder posted:

Then we shall be one step closer to Post Apocalyptic Sex House.

Explain how post-apocalyptic Sex House is meaningfully different than regular Sex House. Replace every instance of "network" with "Vault-Tec" and "viewers" with "Enclave." Bada-bing bada-boom, you're done. "Cloudy drink kills gecko! CLOUDY DRINK KILLS GECKO!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't get why he keeps sticking with the sham marriage, he's shown he's willing to be a scummy dick in other ways, but telling the crazy woman that he doesn't want to play house any longer would cross the line?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Because half the comedy in the show comes from Phil's rationalizations. He's a scummy dick, but in his own mind he's an entirely justified scummy dick. Before this episode, he refused to admit wrongdoing for anything. Saying "Forget this, something better came along" would mean admitting that he's not the put-upon victim he styles himself as.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Avalerion posted:

Don't get why he keeps sticking with the sham marriage, he's shown he's willing to be a scummy dick in other ways, but telling the crazy woman that he doesn't want to play house any longer would cross the line?

He's a coward and a sociopath who just figured out he's a sociopath. He's willing to say anything and everything to avoid taking blame, but at the same time he doesn't want to give up what he has, for fear he won't get something better.

Though I'm happy that the painful-to-watch branch they were going out on seems to be done, what seems even more insufferable going by the previews is that Erica and Gail seem to be seriously entertaining giving Phil a second chance.

At least until Boris Kodjoe shows up, who's now listed as being a castmember on the Wiki page, which hasn't been wrong yet.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I typically hate cringe humor; but I'll repeat why Phil's story worked for me.

There are times in out lives when we're really upset, and feel like we have nobody to turn to. We like to imagine people would be more sympathetic towards us if only they really knew how sad and hopeless we all are. But this only happens when nobody's around. When other people do show up, we turn into the assholes that we always were. We take one or two things we have legitimately good reason to not be happy about (in Phil's case, the sham marriage), and we do way worse lovely things because we think we're entitled to because of the grievances.

Granted, that specific part of the story felt like it wrapped up well now, and the characters can move on.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
"Let's just over with which to get this."

Because the rule about ending sentences with prepositions isn't a real rule in English except for those who hold onto it steadfastly, blissfully ignorant that it arose only because some people 200 years ago thought English should be more like Latin because that makes sense, Carol has to routinely come up with this kind of nonsense.

I actually spent some time trying to riddle this one out. Yes, I know it's her version of "Let's get this over with," but I think she's wrong here. To quote a great man, "That can't be right." Using "with which" implies that there is something with which something is done. Observe: That is the shovel he digs his holes with = That is the shovel which which he digs his holes. Carol is using this template inappropriately, unless "just" is a noun that describes an object with which Carol & friends will get something.

So I'm sorry, Carol. That can't be right.

The proper answer to this nonexistent English grammar rule, near as I can tell, is, "Let's just with this get over."

I'm using "get over (this)" as a verb phrase, which is actually a thing as long as I have an object (which I do, 'this'). Yes, "over" can be a preposition, but it isn't always one. In any event, it's not as wrong as Carol's horrible mangling of the sentence is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Echo Chamber posted:

I typically hate cringe humor; but I'll repeat why Phil's story worked for me.

I'm the same, don't like typical Ben Stiller movies for that reason. and i fast forwarded most of these two episodes for that reason. It's losing me pretty quickly, and i'm not a TV quitter.

• Locked thread