Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

WarLocke posted:

I'll do it when I get impatient if I'm slowly converting stuff, but yeah doing it slowly seems like the 'better' way.

Also I've read that zoning huge swaths at once can result in mass die-offs since apparently every cim lives the exact same length and age is measured from the moment a cim moves in? That's second-hand though, may be bunk.

I'm not saying one way or another is better. Just sayin'

Though, yeah, I guess it helps avoid the mass die offs which are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

WarLocke posted:

I'll do it when I get impatient if I'm slowly converting stuff, but yeah doing it slowly seems like the 'better' way.

Also I've read that zoning huge swaths at once can result in mass die-offs since apparently every cim lives the exact same length and age is measured from the moment a cim moves in? That's second-hand though, may be bunk.

Cims have a counter that counts up to… 255, I think? …and they are guaranteed to die when they hit that number. There is also a chance they'll die before they hit that number, and that chance increases as they get nearer to 255, but the vast majority of cims have nearly identical lifespans. So, yeah, death waves. It's never been a huge problem for me the way I see in some people's screenshots, but I zone a little at a time and I'm usually playing on speed 2 or 3.

There's a mod called Early Death that messes with the lifespan stuff. It makes it so that cims will die earlier if they live in squalor. The author says it will help with death waves but will also make the game harder.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I think I found The Worst Interchange:

:catstare:

On the other hand I kind of want to try this central mass transit setup:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, but does it work? Are there traffic jams? Has this been released on the Steam Workshop yet?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Curvature of Earth posted:

Yeah, but does it work? Are there traffic jams? Has this been released on the Steam Workshop yet?
That line of cars out the top right with barely a car anywhere else on screen tells me no it doesn't actually do anything useful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cars go in but they dont come out.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Quick question, if I turn on mods, load a game, do some stuff, save and exit, then turn off mods, is it possible to still earn achievements with that save game, or is it marked or something?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

If you ban cats and smokes you're gonna whip up a real shitstorm in Sunnyvale

Nice.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Cars go in but they dont come out.

It's a final solution to traffic congestion, so to say.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Nondescript Van posted:

Quick question, if I turn on mods, load a game, do some stuff, save and exit, then turn off mods, is it possible to still earn achievements with that save game, or is it marked or something?

There's a mod that lets you gain achievements with mods active.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

WarLocke posted:

On the other hand I kind of want to try this central mass transit setup:

What the gently caress kind of mass transit hub is surrounded by a forest? That's like primo commercial territory in real life, so I'm guessing none except in games.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I think I'm in love with this thing. Normally I'm not a fan of ramps on the inside of roundabouts but with the way the traffic AI works in Cities I think it would really work well.

Now I just need to find a workshop premade ploppable version because I suuuuck at setting these things up. :negative:

I just noticed the guy screwed up the one-way onto the roundabout at the bottom, too.

e: video of it in action

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 12, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

WarLocke posted:

The Final Traffic Solution.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm in love with this thing. Normally I'm not a fan of ramps on the inside of roundabouts but with the way the traffic AI works in Cities I think it would really work well.

Now I just need to find a workshop premade ploppable version because I suuuuck at setting these things up. :negative:

I just noticed the guy screwed up the one-way onto the roundabout at the bottom, too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410052785

I use this roundabout. Not as high capacity, but basically the same thing with a smaller footprint.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Would anybody be kind enough to offer some suggestions for a decent interchange to link all of this up? I've spent the last two hours fiddling around with spaghetti. :(

In other news... PLAGUE!

edit: poo poo, SC3000 and SC4 soundtracks are on Spotify, time to make a Skylines playlist.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 13, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
you can right click to dezone. Why did nobody tell me this?

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Would anybody be kind enough to offer some suggestions for a decent interchange to link all of this up? I've spent the last two hours fiddling around with spaghetti. :(

In other news... PLAGUE!

edit: poo poo, SC3000 and SC4 soundtracks are on Spotify, time to make a Skylines playlist.

There's a whole host of railway+highway intersections I've been using that might fit your bill. Personally I LOVE this collection because it makes getting trains from one town to another stupid easy. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=418280186 It has a T-intersection with rail branches that I've used a few times until the volume of traffic required me to upgrade to the 4-way (which you have to customize yourself). And your Cims need to stop drinking the poop water or something :ohdear: What happened?

Also I'm rather partial to this bus station/metro roundabout I just started using. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418796812 For anyone looking for something pretty that does bus stops.

e: Oh yeah, it can be hard to place sometimes so make sure you test fit it before you build stuff around it.

Renounced fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 13, 2015

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Renounced posted:

There's a whole host of railway+highway intersections I've been using that might fit your bill. Personally I LOVE this collection because it makes getting trains from one town to another stupid easy. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=418280186 It has a T-intersection with rail branches that I've used a few times until the volume of traffic required me to upgrade to the 4-way (which you have to customize yourself). And your Cims need to stop drinking the poop water or something :ohdear: What happened?

Also I'm rather partial to this bus station/metro roundabout I just started using. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418796812 For anyone looking for something pretty that does bus stops.

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the railways as the block below the bottom of the image houses a freight yard. I'm more concerned about getting all those roads to link up into one large interchange which can smoothly spit out traffic int he right direction while absorbing heavy traffic and feeding it back onto the highway/into other areas of the city without too much trouble. South and South-East is a large Oil industry, to the North is a Logging industry and the suburbs. As for the plague, I wanted to move my landfill sites and had the bright idea to unload all of them at the same time prior to moving. It turned out to be quite an interesting way to see if my road infrastructure combined with health and death facilities could cope with a health crises. (They didn't)

Halkenguard
Sep 20, 2012

This may or may not be something completely stupid.
EDIT: What I said was stupid, ignore this post and carry on.

Halkenguard fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 13, 2015

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I generated a legitimate map from my latest city using Cimtographer and some lovely java software

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WarLocke posted:

It'll work (assuming the directions of the bottom roads are reversed) but going N-W or S-E a car would be on the roundabout for about 340 degrees.

It's not quite the same, but this is my go-to highway/6-lane intersection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413214432&searchtext=Intersection+To+6. Works like a charm and is fairly compact. But I usually have raised highways.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

WarLocke posted:

Circles are really easy to build if you start with a 6 lane one-way and upgrade it to a highway. The highway tool doesn't give you the guide lines but everything else does. Also right clicking with the upgrade tool will change the direction of the one way. It's often easier to build out the wrong way and flip it then starting from the outside.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I add right-turn slip lanes to my roundabouts so they don't have to enter the roundabout. It really increases the capacity.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Think you've got traffic handled? Install the realistic Cims/Traffic/Metro etc mod and gasp in horror as everything falls apart! The game is a lot less forgiving in most areas too. Police have a harder time responding to crime etc. (Also makes your city look a lot better.)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406951430

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 13, 2015

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Dropping poop water in a small river and putting water pumps in this same river is not a good idea, correct?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Not if you put the pumps downstream.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its fine, as long as your water pumps are far upstream.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Welp, just got my first weird freeze. Of course I hadn't saved for a while. :argh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Auto save mod.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
BUT MAH CHEEVS

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

BUT MAH CHEEVS

There's a mod for that.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anyone run this on a MacBook Pro? I'm considering getting one with my tax return, and hoping that it could run thks game cause I already have it purchased and my Dell can't really run it.

It runs well on my late-2013 15" MBP but the simulation runs very slowly once you get above 50,000 cims or so, like to the point where 3x isn't really any faster than 1x. Anyone else experiencing this and have ideas on how to improve performance? Once my cities get big enough I have to get off my couch and go play this on my desktop. :emo:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I just got the game.
Is there any mandatory mods or strongly suggested to start with?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Bold Robot posted:

It runs well on my late-2013 15" MBP but the simulation runs very slowly once you get above 50,000 cims or so, like to the point where 3x isn't really any faster than 1x. Anyone else experiencing this and have ideas on how to improve performance? Once my cities get big enough I have to get off my couch and go play this on my desktop. :emo:

I'm playing it on an old amd dual core and after about 30k I get to that point, where 1x isn't any faster than 3x. It's a big bummer.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Just picked this up for the Mac yesterday. Really enjoying it. I don't play many games and Google hasn't been helpful, but is there a way to enable a modifier key for right click in game? I can enable secondary click in System Prefs beforehand and that'll do the job but I'd rather map it to cmd-click or ctrl-click if possible.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

RattiRatto posted:

I just got the game.
Is there any mandatory mods or strongly suggested to start with?

The auto-save and achievement enable mod. :downs: Both are in the OP I think?

But seriously you'll want them eventually just to not give yourself a headache. Nothing is a must have yet like NAM was for SimCity 4... yet.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
^^
Good, thanks for the mod hints, just starting now with those two

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SynthOrange posted:

Its fine, as long as your water pumps are far upstream.

Don't forget that a certain number of pumps will start affecting the flow of the water of the river. Even if you evenly distribute the pumps so that they won't all suck from one location, you may end up with areas that go stagnant.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GrossMurpel posted:

There's a mod for that.

This. There's so many useful mods out there that I can't imagine playing without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Why are good maps so hard to find in this game?!