Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

watch something good instead

Gotta watch the bad to appreciate the good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Anyone know something that's similar to "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU"?
I like the main character who is a really clever outcast/loner.

Allarion posted:

Hyouka and Haruhi if you want your typical loner main character.

In the chance that you'd seen these, there is also Saekano (How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) from last season, and The World God Only Knows.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Spiritus Nox posted:

it'll be hard to stop me from putting my head through a table if they haven't started suspecting something by 25 episodes, let alone a hundred.

Edit: GODDAMMIT CONAN STOP DETECTIVING IN FRONT OF EVERYONE GODDAMN PEOPLE BETTER CATCH ON TO THIS poo poo BEFORE TOO LONG

With over seven hundred episodes and still going, I have to ask you what you thought you were getting into.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

With over seven hundred episodes and still going, I have to ask you what you thought you were getting into.

I mean, I figured that he stays a kid, but if you're telling me that there's literally no change to the status quo in 700 eps...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, I figured that he stays a kid, but if you're telling me that there's literally no change to the status quo in 700 eps...

There is not, it is a bad anime.

junior samples
Jan 1, 2015
Late but

Srice posted:

Would you happen to know of a Best Of list for Conan or anything along those lines? It's a series I've been curious about but I'd rather start by getting the cream if the crop so to speak. 700+ episodes is a lot!

Here's one that's been spread around from Tumblr that has categories for plot and 'recommended' cases: http://detectivecatstorm.tumblr.com/post/68084257937/

Usually the ones that are related to the plot end up being the most interesting murder mysteries anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

There is not, it is a bad anime.
No, it's an anime built around its status quo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maggie has been a baby for longer than most of us have been alive but Simpsons isn't bad because of that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Have you watched the Simpsons recently

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Have you watched the Simpsons recently

Maggie still being a baby is not the reason the Simpsons is bad now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Almost as though shows should end at some point or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Almost as though shows should end at some point or something
if simpsons had ended it would have ended with maggie as a baby

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I was recommended Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood earlier in this thread, maybe a couple months ago. It wasn't on Netflix at the time (it's back on it now) but I have been going through the original FMA series. Up to about Episode 42, and man, it's fun -- but a lot darker than I expected. Holy poo poo. Some really twisted characters in that thing. But it's very engaging. There's been some boring filler episodes, but not that many, which is surprising. Only thing that annoys me is how Alphonse constnatly yells "BROTHER!!" instead of just saying "Ed!" Armstrong is definitely my favorite character.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

railroad terror posted:

Only thing that annoys me is how Alphonse constnatly yells "BROTHER!!" instead of just saying "Ed!"

Sounds like you're watching the dub (not a bad thing); that's a product of directly translating the way Al addresses Ed in the Japanese version, which is more natural in that language than ours.

Once you're done with FMA, you should watch Silver Spoon. It was created by the same person that created FMA. It's about farming :buddy: (technically it's about learning about farming, but close enough).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

if simpsons had ended it would have ended with maggie as a baby

Yeah? Okay? At what point was I disagreeing

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like you're watching the dub (not a bad thing); that's a product of directly translating the way Al addresses Ed in the Japanese version, which is more natural in that language than ours.

It's an overly literal translation I do not like.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Onii-chan

I'm fairly certain that this means big brother

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you don't know that for sure get out of adtrw

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

if you don't know that for sure get out of adtrw

Nah

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Che Delilas posted:

Once you're done with FMA, you should watch Silver Spoon. It was created by the same person that created FMA. It's about farming :buddy: (technically it's about learning about farming, but close enough).

I'll put it on the list! Yeah, I am watching the dub -- I'm actually quite impressed for the most part with how great the voice acting is, Ed and al in particular.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ed's dub voice is exactly the same as Tamaki's dub voice in Ouran Host Club.

It's pretty amazing.

(go watch Ouran Host Club, except for the beach episode)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mors Rattus posted:

It's pretty amazing.

Tamaki's dub actor does a fantastic job, which is helped by a nice adaptive localization. That show had me in stitches, and I'm about as far away from the target demographic as you can get.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Che Delilas posted:

That show had me in stitches, and I'm about as far away from the target demographic as you can get.
Same. I was introduced to Ouran by a friend in college and it ended up becoming one of my favorites.

That the DVD collection sits right next to Ninja Scroll on my shelf is just a bonus.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This SNAFU show is not bad. I like it best when the loner dude is making people cry and pulling apart their psyches. Anything similar to that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It's pretty amazing.

the beach episode owns what are you talking about

"What's with the crab?"
"Oh? Do you find it... crab-tivating?"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Razzled posted:

This SNAFU show is not bad. I like it best when the loner dude is making people cry and pulling apart their psyches. Anything similar to that?

Hmmm, if you like seeing people get their psyches get pulled apart, I'd suggest watching Welcome to the N.H.K. The lead doesn't do it so much as everyone does it to each other. It's a series where everyone is a depressed rear end in a top hat in their own way and its super good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

the beach episode owns what are you talking about

"What's with the crab?"
"Oh? Do you find it... crab-tivating?"
Probably means the scene between Kyoya and Haruhi after dinner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Probably means the scene between Kyoya and Haruhi after dinner.
That scene is really weird, but isn't it in the dance episode? Or am I thinking of another uncomfortably rapey Kyoya scene?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Black Stones posted:

Hmmm, if you like seeing people get their psyches get pulled apart, I'd suggest watching Welcome to the N.H.K. The lead doesn't do it so much as everyone does it to each other. It's a series where everyone is a depressed rear end in a top hat in their own way and its super good.

you son of a bitch, i successfully held back the urge to recommend NHK to everyone asking for that and you just waltz in and do it :mad:

it's not what they're asking for, even though it's totally what they deserve

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

That scene is really weird, but isn't it in the dance episode? Or am I thinking of another uncomfortably rapey Kyoya scene?
Nope, it's the beach episode. I rewatched the whole series relatively recently, so I'm pretty sure.

Second time around I think I understand what they were trying to go for, but it's still a pretty uncomfortable and inelegantly handled scene.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I started Watching Fate Stay Unlimited Bladeworks, or whateverit's called - the one that came out a year ago, and I swear to god I've seen this before.

Is it the same story as Fate Zero? Why am I getting so much deja vu from this? I don't think I've ever seen this show before...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there was a movie by deen that covered the same thing, and a tv show by deen a couple years back that adapted a different route, but there's enough shared between routes it'd probably seem familiar?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drifter posted:

So I started Watching Fate Stay Unlimited Bladeworks, or whateverit's called - the one that came out a year ago, and I swear to god I've seen this before.

Is it the same story as Fate Zero? Why am I getting so much deja vu from this? I don't think I've ever seen this show before...
did you watch either of the deen anime

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Drifter posted:

There is a trash rear end Deen anime you may have seen. Zero shares some themes and characters but it takes place 10 years before UBW. The beginning specifically is very different between the two, so I'm guessing you may have watched one of the earlier (bad) adaptations.

Fate Zero started in 2012, and the new Ufotable UBW Started llast year, and the second season just began at the beginning of the month.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hi I am looking for a historically based, accurately portrayed or close manga or anime to watch. Specifically, something from Showa or the Meiji restoration.

I've watched and read what's available for Zipang, Jin, Up On Poppy Hill, The WInd Rises, Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen, Showa Story.

Anything else in that mold that could be recommended?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you seen Aoi Bungaku? Some of the stories are set in that time period, though all of them were written in it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

This doesn't look like exactly what I'm looking for... but on the other hand it does look really neat and it's Madhouse, so I will def check it out. Thanks!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Che Delilas posted:

I've never watched the show, but in a conversation with a friend I once looked up some statistics, and napkin-calculated that given the number of episodes, Conan would have had to have personally solved over half the murders that took place in Tokyo since he became a kid.

Bad show is bad.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Not sure if this quite belongs here but is funimation's stream service worth it? I already pay for crunchyroll, but funimation's price is low enough that I wouldnt' mind doing a year's worth in addition if the library is worth it. Currently I want to watch Arslan and Maria, but do they have older stuff too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they have good shows but the service itself is trash

• Locked thread