Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The characters are 100 percent real. The situations are 100 percent real. What isn't real is that, as Solice Kirsk said, these situations happening over and over to the same group of people and them not ending up dead, arrested, in prison, fired, etc is not. But it's no different than say The Shield, The Wire, Castle, Law and Order, or even Seinfeld.

It's interesting to me that the one thing they get a little loosey goosey with is how people talk. Yes, everyone has an extremely heavy accent, but season 2 really nailed how...flowery and formal...people in the hills talk. It's very Shakespearean in a way because people learn to read and write from the Bible as it's the most consistently available book to people in those communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Schiavona posted:

Can anyone (Beeb, I guess) who actually lives in the backwoods tell me if hill people are a real thing?

They 100% are. I've lived in Kentucky for 31 years. I've never lived in Harlan or eastern Kentucky, but I've visited a lot for family and friends. Hill people are most certainly a thing. A close friend's relatives lived on the mountain in eastern Kentucky, and his uncle and grandfather refused to go anywhere except the the tiny "town" at the bottom of the mountain. They said they had all they needed on the mountain, and they didn't have any need for cities or the folk therein. In all fairness, though, once they accept you, they're some of the nicest and kindest drat people ever.

Phenotype posted:

I mean, honest to God "we'll kill you if we see you near our land" crazy hill people? In that last ep, that wasn't even their land, but there's still a half dozen of them waiting to ambush and kill anyone who wanders past? What is the motivation or belief structure that leads to that?

Oh yeah. If you're not from around those parts, as it were, you'd be well advised to not take any random trips through the woods. If you're in the town, or a gas station, something like that, it's not as big a deal. But for god's sake, don't roam around. Part of it is yes, some of these folks are growing weed, running moonshine stills, hunting out of season, etc. They don't trust outsiders, and they have no love for governmental authority. If killing you means that they know you're not going report them and they keep government agents away from them, they will absolutely kill you without a second thought.

Another factor is, even if it doesn't technically all belong to them, they see it as their land. Some of these people can legitimately trace their family roots back through the same area for 200 years. They work the land, live off it, trade or buy only what they need, and live their lives as they see fit. They keep to themselves, and want outsiders to keep to themselves. It's like Mags said in Season 2, they all have their own ways of doing things, and anyone who tries to come in and change that isn't welcome.

It's not really embellished. The people really are like that. For example, when I went with my friend's family to visit their relatives in Hazard, KY, they took their new puppy with them. We were around 14 or so. The puppy ran off, and we were all out looking for him. Eventually my friend's mom found it nailed to a tree with a note around it's neck that said "Keep the hell away from our fields", or something along those lines. We didn't see the note, but someone took it to the aforementioned uncle and grandfather on the mountain who said that they would settle things and make it right. So yeah, the depiction is fairly realistic.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 10, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I win the lottery, I am hiring Goggins and Olyphant to recreate all the insult sword fighting parts of the monkey island series.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dammit, quote is not edit.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Geniasis posted:

And probably the timeline. How long has it been in-universe? Like a year tops, I think

Well a bit more than that, given that Raylan and Winona have a baby and everything, but at some point the stated timeline was certainly absurd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just realized we're only going to Never Leave Harlan Alive one more time and it depressed the gently caress out of me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I just realized we're only going to Never Leave Harlan Alive one more time and it depressed the gently caress out of me.

I'm more bummed out that episode 13's title is almost definitely referring to the song.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Phenotype posted:

I mean, honest to God "we'll kill you if we see you near our land" crazy hill people?

Yes.

Phenotype posted:

What is the motivation or belief structure that leads to that?

They have seemed way over the top in the episodes they're in, and I assumed most of it was embellished.

Illegal activities, heritage, gently caress you I'll do what I want because I loving can and I've done it before and local law either doesn't give a poo poo or is related to me or both.

Tide posted:

Nope, it's really not embellished at all. The motivation is simple: this is my land, you are a stranger*, you might want to kill me so I am going to kill you first.

*stranger being anyone that hasn't lived there for several generations

Accurate.

Last year I got swept with a shotgun from my next door neighbor because I was quietly plinking away with a .22 in the backyard, not near their property.

Could've shot me and very little if anything would've happened to them, what with family in local law and me being a transplant.

In happier more show related news, I was getting serious Bullock vibes when Raylan was pondering what that dirty cop would be like missing his teeth. :3:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 10, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Last year I got swept with a shotgun from my next door neighbor because I was quietly plinking away with a .22 in the backyard, not near their property.

Could've shot me and very little if anything would've happened to them, what with family in local law and me being a transplant.

Are you in the market for a new house yet?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Kinda/sorta, I may have a tentative out but nothing is set in stone and I'm very good at jinxing myself.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rhyno posted:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I see these kind of people all the time. Mountain Dew Mouth is an actual problem. They'll put it in baby bottles cause it's cheaper than milk. Kentucky is a crazy little state.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/09/12/221845853/mountain-dew-mouth-is-destroying-appalachias-teeth

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Invalid Validation posted:

I see these kind of people all the time. Mountain Dew Mouth is an actual problem. They'll put it in baby bottles cause it's cheaper than milk. Kentucky is a crazy little state.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/09/12/221845853/mountain-dew-mouth-is-destroying-appalachias-teeth

Urgh, that is a literal joke from Idiocracy playing out in reality. It never ceases to amaze me how many dumb things people can do.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NowonSA posted:

Urgh, that is a literal joke from Idiocracy playing out in reality. It never ceases to amaze me how many dumb things people can do.

The only reason why Ow, My Balls! isn't a real TV show is because we can get it at whim on YouTube.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

They really need to use the Patty Loveless version for this one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I might have asked this before but for the life of me I can't remember, what does a "holler" refer to?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BlindSite posted:

I might have asked this before but for the life of me I can't remember, what does a "holler" refer to?

It's a valley in the hills. Same as "hollow", just a colloquialism.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

You took this photo before you had finished scrolling to the Ruby Friedman version right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress Brad Paisley and everything he stands for.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

JohnSherman posted:

You took this photo before you had finished scrolling to the Ruby Friedman version right?

#8, second from the top.
Is there another one?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mcbexx posted:

#8, second from the top.
Is there another one?

It was a bad joke about how he had his pointer over the Brad Paisley version instead of Friedman's, which is the only version worth listening to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So this week is the series finale right?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Alan Sepinwall has posted a couple of times in the past couple of days that any fan who has a chance to rewatch the pilot before the finale will be "rewarded" by doing so.

Hmm.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ClydeUmney posted:

Alan Sepinwall has posted a couple of times in the past couple of days that any fan who has a chance to rewatch the pilot before the finale will be "rewarded" by doing so.

Hmm.
That mine escape flashback is coming back at a poignant, critical moment. I've known all along!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Medullah posted:

So this week is the series finale right?

Yup. :smith:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ClydeUmney posted:

Hmm.

Well, that's what I did today. It kind of made me want to start watching the series over again.

I was also reminded that I completely forgot about Winona's husband as a character and what a total weenie he was.

It'll be interesting to see what callbacks they go to.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, that's what I did today. It kind of made me want to start watching the series over again.

I was also reminded that I completely forgot about Winona's husband as a character and what a total weenie he was.

It'll be interesting to see what callbacks they go to.

I was going to say that it seemed like they were doing the ending I'd always thought they would, with a recreation of that final scene of the pilot (And ending it the way it was always intended to). But with reading Sepinwall's tweet I can't see that being the 'rewarding' part he's talking about, since I think everyone watching will pick up on that. I just wouldn't be surprised if it generally echoes/mirrors the pilot in a lot of ways.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I could see Markham giving Raylon 24 hrs to leave Harlan County.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hopefully Raylan's Miami suit make an appearance in the finale.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ava did drop Dewey's gator-tooth necklace right before Markham's cops hauled her away. And as I recall, in the pilot Raylan took notice of them the first time he met Dewey.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

If, like me, you may not have time to watch the premiere over again, the IMDb has a detailed scene-by-scene recap of it here.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The finale is just gonna be every character talking non-stop about Tommy Bucks, like in the pilot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
All this talk about Dewey Crow just reminds me of how much I miss Ellie May.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I expect the pilot tie-in will be 24 hours to get out of town (Raylan probably has about 24 hours left on the deadline Art gave him), Dewey's necklace, or a parallel to Boyd and Raylan at the table with Raylan killing Boyd this time, maybe with one shot subduing him and then a bullet to the head.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Irish Joe posted:

Ellie May.

This really is this show's version of Jessie/Skylar.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I also did a pilot rewatch. There are a lot of little lines that tug at my emotions, knowing how dark things would eventually get. Namely Ava's "I knew everything would be okay when you walked in, Raylan".

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

In happier more show related news, I was getting serious Bullock vibes when Raylan was pondering what that dirty cop would be like missing his teeth. :3:

Raylan's going to catch up to those cops and it's going to be amazing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

User-Friendly posted:

The finale is just gonna be every character talking non-stop about Tommy Bucks, like in the pilot.

It occurred to me earlier in the day that we've never heard Boone's last name. I hope that's just a coincidence and not a "I put myself in Markham's employ because I just somehow knew I'd eventually get to draw on you for killin' my brother/uncle/mentor/(insert bullshit cliche here)."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 13, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Isn't Boone his last name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It occurred to me earlier in the day that we've never heard Boone's last name. I hope that's just a coincidence and not a "I put myself in Markham's employ because I just somehow knew I'd eventually get to draw on you for killin' my brother/uncle/mentor/(insert bullshit cliche here)."

Given how many people Raylan's killed, it's basically 50/50 odds that Boone is related to or was friends with one of them.

• Locked thread